Level: Sor/Wiz ?
Components: V, S, F, M
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: Close (25 ft +5ft/ 2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration:1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

At the completion of the spell, you cast a number of glowing, silvery threads at your target that connect at the heart (or rough equivalent), and then to your own. For the duration of the spell, any attack or spell not cast by it's target directed at either of you also affects the other. All variable effects, including damage rolled, are the same for both. Damage Reduction applies normally, but is not carried over to the other; it is treated as though they were separate attacks that happened to roll the same on variable numeric effects. The movement speed of both the caster and the target are halved, and they are unable to move out of range of the spell. If the caster so chooses, the range may be altered to be smaller at the time of casting, though after the spell is cast, it can not be changed. The effects of this spell may not be dispelled by Dispel Magic or Greater dispel magic. A creature may be under the influence of only one casting of this spell at a time.
Focus: A miniature set of silver scales set on a golden spider web costing 5000 gold
Material Componant: 5 Phase Spider corpses that had spent an hour on both the positive and negative energy planes, and 12,000 gp worth of intricately shaped gems.

So, I need A: Suggestions for the spel effect, and B: An appropriate level, and if any other classes should be able to cast it. Thanks in advance, all-y'all.

Jack_Simth
2007-03-07, 12:14 AM
How to break it:

Wizard 17, over time, crafts enough scrolls of Wish to boost his Con by five points. Before doing so, however, he casts this spell on everyone in the party.

He then uses the scrolls to boost his con by five points. As a bonus, everyone else in the party gets it, too. As long as they aren't suddenly interrputed, you've got a serious value multiplier for such effects.

Likewise, it has similar effects on out of combat healing.

Permits the caster to share self-only buffs such as Shapechange, True Strike, Divine Power, and so forth (although combat buffs are a BAD idea, unless you Dispel the link after).

I'm sorry, it's hard to balance that by spell level, as written.

Collin152
2007-03-07, 04:51 PM
Hm... removing spells cast by the caster, limiting to one effect running on a single person, and noting that Wish wil never be broken because of the DM's consent factor, I think I could fix this.
And possibly something regarding dispelling it, to avoid buffing in combat from a distance.

Edit: One of the main focuses of ths spell was to cast it at an enemy that also has low HP when the fight focuses on you, so that they won't want to attack as long as the spel lasts (Once they figure out how it works). It is also a (risky) means of hitting foes with outrageous AC with attacks, so that melee guys can threaten (read: bluff) foes into submission in effigy. Like Voodoo; If you know whatever happens to them happens to you, he has a sword at his throat, and you can't run away, then wow. Mostly, though, this spell was intended for villains so that the PC's can be forced into a major dillemma, though dispelling remains a problem...

Assasinater
2007-03-07, 05:06 PM
It is a good idea, but even with the restrictions, the abusing potential is limitless. But of course, with a good DM and players, that shouldn't happen, so in conclusion, it's good. :)

Edit: I think you should make it at least a level 8 spell (though I'd prefer 9), because of the potential, and by forcing it to be casted by a high level wizard, it effectively reduces the chances to be dispelled as well.

Collin152
2007-03-07, 05:13 PM
Yeah, but then again, many spells (particulary transmutation ones. I'm looking at you polymorph any object!) are easily abuseable. The fact that you must stay pretty close and take all their damage limits this somewhat, you know? Unless your using it to clone area spells, but that wont work either, as it treats you as though you were affected by it, not replicating the effect by you.
Too much even for a level 9 spell? How to water it down further?

Jack_Simth
2007-03-07, 05:21 PM
Hm... removing spells cast by the caster, limiting to one effect running on a single person, and noting that Wish wil never be broken because of the DM's consent factor,
Inherent bonuses with multiple Wishes cast in succession is on the safe list. The only consent involved is getting the two spells in the game at the same time, and abiding by their respective texts.

I think I could fix this.
And possibly something regarding dispelling it, to avoid buffing in combat from a distance.

What, like making it undispellable (similar to Bestow Curse)?

Edit: One of the main focuses of ths spell was to cast it at an enemy that also has low HP when the fight focuses on you, so that they won't want to attack as long as the spel lasts (Once they figure out how it works). It is also a (risky) means of hitting foes with outrageous AC with attacks, so that melee guys can threaten (read: bluff) foes into submission in effigy. Like Voodoo; If you know whatever happens to them happens to you, he has a sword at his throat, and you can't run away, then wow. Mostly, though, this spell was intended for villains so that the PC's can be forced into a major dillemma, though dispelling remains a problem...

That's the intent? Limit it to damage and ability damage only, not all spell effects. Healing one heals... one. Buffing one buffs... one. Hurting one hurts both.

Collin152
2007-03-07, 06:15 PM
A:Sure, under normal circumstance, it's a good wish, but Circumstances do apply.
B. There we go.
C. An intent.And I considered that, but it seems as though there is already a spell that does that, somewhere.

Jack_Simth
2007-03-07, 06:47 PM
Psionic Power: Empathic Feedback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicFeedback.htm).

Of course, your (initial, at least) spell is a mostly souped-up version of another Psionoic Power, Affinity Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/affinityField.htm)

Collin152
2007-03-07, 07:45 PM
Yeah, but I never use Psionics. So that's out.

Jack_Simth
2007-03-07, 07:50 PM
Existing effects are, however, very useful things to check when you're making something and wondering about relative power levels. Life Link is Affinity Field on steroids (lasts longer, you get to select who's in it rather than it being everyone in an area, no cap on the spell level, et cetera).

Collin152
2007-03-07, 08:09 PM
Yeah, true, but that is all about damage, and has caps on it. This? I think it might be a little too untamed, so I brought it here.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-08, 12:15 AM
I think this is a really unbalanced spell

that being said i think that this would make a really wonderful story item/plot device.

it would be a great way to turn the tables on the pc's who have an enemy at their mercy.

also mayhaps you should make another version to bind two people other than yourself together

nivek1234
2007-03-08, 01:15 PM
To work on one of Jack Smith's concerns, how about stating that target self spells do not transfer.

As for out of combat healing, if this spell is level 8 or 9, it would seem rather wasteful to use this with even heal (a lvl 6 spell). The higher level healing spells either don't have the monetary costs (all 3 domain spells of level 7+) or have the same range making it redundant (cure critical wounds mass and heal mass).

Collin152
2007-03-08, 06:02 PM
Specified already; spells targeted at it's own caster do not tansfer. Two others, eh? Wouldn't that... let you hurt one by attacking the other, allowing you to hit two targets with a single target spell, over and over? I mean, sure , this would too, but you typically won't cast disintegrate in such a way that it would hit you as well, now wouldn't you?

Jack_Simth
2007-03-08, 06:06 PM
Yeah, true, but that is all about damage, and has caps on it. This? I think it might be a little too untamed, so I brought it here.Did you check Affinity Field as well? It also does "spell" sharing (but limited to 3rd level and lower effects). Compared to Affinity Field You've got the damage angle... Plus a lot more on the spell angle ... plus selectivity ... plus a longer duration. And Affinity Field is already a 9th level effect.

To work on one of Jack Smith's concerns, how about stating that target self spells do not transfer.

Helps somewhat, but the strongest candidates aren't actually personal spells (well, unless something is done with, say, Persistent Spell....).

As for out of combat healing, if this spell is level 8 or 9, it would seem rather wasteful to use this with even heal (a lvl 6 spell). The higher level healing spells either don't have the monetary costs (all 3 domain spells of level 7+) or have the same range making it redundant (cure critical wounds mass and heal mass).
The spell can be used to duplicate healing. Plus Break Enchantment. Plus Remove Disease. Plus Greater Restoration. Plus Greater Spell Immunity. And so on, and so forth. Or several of them, with through the same casting. It's broken for the same basic reasons Affinity Field is so strong. But this is stronger than Affinity Field.

Oh, and the cost on the spell? It's a focus. It's reuseable. At 5k for what's expected to be a fairly high level spell, it's not really a limiting factor.

Kalir
2007-03-08, 10:57 PM
Maybe incantations (from Unearthed Arcana) could be put to use here. Those generally pack more power than your average spell, and take a while to pull off: here, it could work quite well.

Collin152
2007-03-09, 10:42 PM
Hm, perhaps an expensive material componant rather then/in addition to a focus? I'll add that.