PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Weird Question: Greathammer + Glot = Battle Croquet?

PangolinPie
2014-08-20, 01:00 PM
A player in our game posed an odd question...they're doing a Goliath Hulking Hurler/Exotic Weapon Master/Master Thrower build based around Glots (iron balls) from Frostburn with the returning enchantment. They also have a Goliath Greathammer as a backup melee weapon. They posed this question...

"If I set the Glot on the ground and strike it WITH the hammer like a game of Golf or Croquet, do I get some kind of bonus to damage?"

Its an interesting idea...I mean if it were me I'd run it like a maxed-out power attack since accuracy would suffer quite a bit but the impact from said Glot would be pretty powerful...

What do y'all think?

bjoern
2014-08-20, 01:06 PM
A player in our game posed an odd question...they're doing a Goliath Hulking Hurler/Exotic Weapon Master/Master Thrower build based around Glots (iron balls) from Frostburn with the returning enchantment. They also have a Goliath Greathammer as a backup melee weapon. They posed this question...

"If I set the Glot on the ground and strike it WITH the hammer like a game of Golf or Croquet, do I get some kind of bonus to damage?"

Its an interesting idea...I mean if it were me I'd run it like a maxed-out power attack since accuracy would suffer quite a bit but the impact from said Glot would be pretty powerful...

What do y'all think?

Well using some loose logic....
You add your strength to thrown weapons
A thrown baseball tops out at around 100mph
A golf ball tops out at just over 200mph

So....let him add 2x strength to damage. Dropping the ball would be a free action. Retrieving another one would be a move action and could be reduced with quick draw.

I probably wouldn't let him full attack with this method.

Chronos
2014-08-20, 02:01 PM
When I first saw this thread, I thought it said "crochet". Honestly, my mom probably could crochet hats and scarves quickly enough to be useful somehow in battle.

Samuel Sturm
2014-08-20, 02:10 PM
I'd let him double or triple the range increment, add 2x strength to damage, and let power attack function normally. However, I'd rule that setting up the ball takes 1 itinerary attack, so a +6 Bab is necessary to do it once a round, and a +16 to do it twice. Hopefully that's clear enough.

jiriku
2014-08-20, 04:49 PM
Letting him deal damage is if he was throwing two-handed would be reasonable (after all, he's using both hands to do this). A larger range increment would seem appropriate -- you can send a golf ball much further by hitting it with a golf club than by throwing it. Restricting his number of attacks is reasonable. However, a greathammer is not meant to be used for this purpose, so I'd call it an improvised weapon, and assign appropriate penalties. Now, if he takes some ranks in engineering or craft and designs a greathammer that IS meant to do this, then more power to him.

Necroticplague
2014-08-20, 08:11 PM
Letting him deal damage is if he was throwing two-handed would be reasonable (after all, he's using both hands to do this). A larger range increment would seem appropriate -- you can send a golf ball much further by hitting it with a golf club than by throwing it. Restricting his number of attacks is reasonable. However, a greathammer is not meant to be used for this purpose, so I'd call it an improvised weapon, and assign appropriate penalties. Now, if he takes some ranks in engineering or craft and designs a greathammer that IS meant to do this, then more power to him.

Actually, I was thinking the Glot's design would be more of a problem. Its probably not designed to take abuse like this, so it might break instead of flying, and its definitely not designed to fly this way. The hammer's main problem would be the same one as smashing a wall. Maybe add some dimples to the glot, wrap it in a more flexible membrane of leather...

jiriku
2014-08-20, 10:39 PM
Perhaps also get a chakram and throw it so it imbeds itself high up on a wall, then try to toss the leather-covered glot through the center of the chakram?