PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Weapon Weight

Cardea
2014-08-20, 01:59 PM
So the only two methods I know of affecting the weight of a weapon is either via size or material. Smaller or larger weapons are half or double their medium sized weight, respectively. Mithral and Darkwood items weigh half as much as their normal material counterparts. Is there some other method to reduce the weight of a weapon? I initially thought of Matter Manipulation, but that affects hardness and item HP, not weight. Is there some enchantment or item template I am missing that can help achieve what I need?

The situation I'm approaching this problem with is this: I am a small creature using a Great Crossbow, and I am trying to stow it into a Wand Bracelet. Normally, the thing weighs 14 lbs. But since I am small, it weighs half of that, or 7 lbs. Making it out of Darkwood makes it 3.5 lbs. And making it Feycraft makes it 10% lighter, putting it at 3.15 lbs.. Wand Bracelets only allow a 3 lbs. item or lighter item to be stored, meaning I have 0.15 lbs. I need to shave off.

On a last note, since Great Crossbows can be held and fired with one hand, I am able to qualify for Wand Bracelet's must-be-held-in-one-hand requirement.

Thanks in advance.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-20, 02:18 PM
Depending on order of operations, you could make it Feycraft Darkwood. Feycraft cuts weight by 10% in exchange for reducing damage die one step, which would take it from 7 to 6 (rounding up), and then from 6 to 3 (darkwood). Other way around would be 7 to 3.5 (darkwood) and then 3.5-0.35, which if your DM will let you round, would still hit 3 lbs.

Jeraa
2014-08-20, 02:23 PM
Or just ask your DM to ignore that additional 0.15 pounds. Because 2.5 ounces is just something that shouldn't really matter.