PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Birdman Stunna, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Punch Evil in the Face

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-20, 02:21 PM
http://www.burdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/golden-eagle-attacks-cameraman-2.jpg

Birdman Stunna
Or, How I learned to Stop Worrying and Punch Evil in the Face

So, a while back, I was messing around with getting stunning fist DCs as high as possible using, of all things, Ascetic Hunter. Stunning attacks are like the one cool thing about monks... but unfortunately, they kind of suck. It's too hard to get the DC reasonably high, too feat intensive to build around, too hard to slap onto an actual monk, who already needs all the help he can get. There are a few exceptions, like God Hand (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3647091) (a stun-focused Tashalatora build... is there anything monkly that Tash doesn't fix?), but I wanted to go in a different direction.

I did finally end up with a build I really liked, a character that checked off all the "monk" boxes without being, er, boxed in - a monkish character that wasn't MAD and actually had decent BAB and some versatile options. It's no wizard, but it's a fun little build that feels fresh and would fit in fine in just about any tier 3 group.

Here's what I've got. (I'm going to steal some of the formatting from Stormwind & co.'s Weekly Showcases, because I like it.)

The basics:

Race: Azurin. You'll need both the bonus feat and the point of essentia.
Build: Monk 2/Ranger 16/Stalker of Kharash 2. EDIT: Per Zaq's suggestion, moved Stalker of Kharash to the main build, rather than keeping it as a variant.
ACFs: Shapeshifting ranger (UA, lose combat styles, gain fast movement and wild shape as a druid but restricted to small or medium forms), Shooting Star ranger (CoV, lose Endurance and animal companion, gain weavespeak and bonus spells), Arcane Hunter (CM, gain arcanists as a favored enemy), Invisible Fist monk (EE, replace Evasion with the ability to turn invisible every 1d4 rounds), Decisive Strike (PHB2, replace flurry with the ability to make a full round attack for double damage and +2 stun DC).
Ability scores: Maximum Wisdom, to the exclusion of basically anything but Con. You need a 13 or higher in Con, and you'll eventually want a 14 in Int to get the most out of SotAO, which you can buy now with all those spare PB points you're not wasting on Strength, or you can pick up a headband of intellect to cover it. With 32 PB, I'd suggest 8/14/14/12/18/8 with a +2 headband of intellect down the road, or swap Dex and Int if you don't want to worry about getting your hands on the headband.
Alignment: You're an exalted monk. Lawful Good all the way.

Skill notes: You'll have a lot of free skill points, so feel free to build out as you'd like. Skills that take advantage of your Wisdom make a lot of sense here, so feel free to build out Survival, Listen and Spot (which are further boosted by Alertness). Stalker of Kharash requires 8 ranks in Hide/MS, so you might consider continuing those if stealth is something you're into. Getting 5 ranks in Balance is easy for you, and more or less mandatory for anyone who can afford it. But again, you've got a lot of freedom here to build out as you'd like.

Basic equipment: You're an unarmed, armorless monk who likes to wild shape. There's not a ton you really need.

Magical gear goals: A necklace of natural attacks, preferably with the hunting enhancement, will be pretty clutch, as will ki straps. Get some wilding clasps to use them even in wild shaped form. You'll also want to boost Wisdom as high as humanly possible, so a +6 periapt and a +5 tome are definitely things you should be looking out for. An essentia helm is a steal at 3000gp and functionally offers you +2 to your attacks and stun DCs 3/day, so I'd get a couple of them. As for the standard utility... well, SotAO ranger and wild shape actually shore up a lot of the holes in the monk chassis that usually need to be compensated for with gear, so you're not nearly as item-dependent as most.

There are also some other items that will increase your FE bonuses, which in turn increase your stun DCs. Enemy Spirit Pouches from the MIC are pretty cheap and improve your FE bonus by +2. Each is keyed in to a specific favored enemy, so they're a bit limited in use, but they're cheap enough to grab a couple of them and swap out as needed. The Girdle of Hate from Dragon Compendium doubles your FE bonuses against a particular enemy, and even works with Stalker of Kharash's FE (evil). That's a huge boost - but watch out. It's not an evil item, but the fluff has a decidedly non-Exalted feel to it. The build snapshots below are only assuming Ki Straps, Essentia Helm and the hunting enhancement, but with some of these other items, you can put out even more impressive numbers.

THE BUILD

Build Stub: Monk 2/Ranger 16/Stalker of Kharash 2.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Feats
Class Features

1st
Monk 1
+0
+2
+2
+2
Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Stunning FistB, Sapphire Fist, Alertness
Decisive strike, unarmed strike

2nd
Monk 2
+1
+3
+3
+3
Fiery FistB
Invisible fist

3rd
Ranger 1
+2
+5
+5
+3
TrackB, Intuitive Attack
Fast movement, wild empathy, 1st favored enemy

4th
Ranger 2
+3
+6
+6
+3

5th
Ranger 3
+4
+6
+6
+4

Weavespeak

6th
Ranger 4
+5
+7
+7
+4
Ascetic Hunter
Bonus spells, improved spellcasting

7th
Ranger 5
+6/+1
+7
+7
+4

2nd favored enemy, wild shape 1/day

8th
Ranger 6
+7/+2
+8
+8
+5

Wild shape 2/day

9th
Ranger 7
+8/+3
+8
+8
+5
Favored of the Companions
Wild shape 3/day

10th
Stalker of Kharash 1
+9/+4
+8
+10
+5

Scent of evil

11th
Stalker of Kharash 2
+10/+5
+8
+11
+5

Favored enemy (evil)

12th
Ranger 8
+11/+6/+1
+9
+12
+5
Sword of the Arcane Order
Bonus spells, expanded spell list

13th
Ranger 9
+12/+7/+2
+9
+12
+6

Evasion

14th
Ranger 10
+13/+8/+3
+10
+13
+6

3rd favored enemy, wild shape 4/day

15th
Ranger 11
+14/+9/+4
+10
+13
+6
Natural Spell
Bonus spells

16th
Ranger 12
+15/+10/+5
+11
+14
+7

17th
Ranger 13
+16/+11/+6/+1
+11
+14
+7

Camouflage

18th
Ranger 14
+17/+12/+7/+2
+12
+15
+7
Improved Favored Enemy
Bonus spells, wild shape 5/day

19th
Ranger 15
+18/+13/+8/+3
+12
+15
+8

4th favored enemy

20th
Ranger 16
+19/+14/+9/+4
+13
+16
+8

Build snapshot

First of all, let's address the basics. You've got +19 BAB and the unarmed strike of an 18th-level monk. That's got to be worth something, although to be honest, it's the least exciting thing about this build.

You're also a wild shaping Shooting Star ranger. While you're restricted to small and medium animal forms, there are a lot of great choices here. Because of Intuitive Attack and Wis to AC, you're less concerned about high Strength forms. At low levels, the best bet is probably the desmodu hunting bat, while at higher levels, the legendary eagle is hard to beat - 30 Dex, decent natural armor and 100' fly speed is just too good to pass up. Don't forget that you can still make an unarmed strike with IUS, so you don't have to rely on the fairly mediocre eagle claw attack.

Shooting Star for all its bonus spells and SotAO alongside a huge Wisdom for bonus spells means that you've got pretty solid utility spellcasting as well. You'll need to borrow a spellbook from your order to make SotAO function properly, but as you're technically a member of the Mystic Fire Knights (the Shooting Stars are a rangerly offshoot of them), that shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't list favored enemies because they're pretty campaign-dependent. Your best bet is to consolidate your extra +2s into one single favored enemy (probably arcanists, but again, this is campaign-dependent) and then spread around your remaining bonuses to cover as many foes as possible. So, you'll have a +8 base FE damage bonus versus your primary favored enemy, and +2 versus three secondaries, or +11 and +5 with Improved Favored Enemy. You also get +1 from your Favored Enemy (evil) feature against all evil foes, which is also improved by Improved Favored Enemy... and this explicitly stacks with other FE bonuses you have. So, against evil foes, you're effectively doubling up on any FE improvements you make.

But all of that is just the opening act. Here's the main event: you can stun the world.

You've got a lot built into your stunning attacks. Sapphire Fist alongside your four points of essentia gives you +4 to attack rolls while stunning and +4 to the DC, which is a pretty nice boost. Even better is the boost you get from Ascetic Hunter, which gives you a bonus when stunning a favored enemy equal to one half your FE bonus to damage rolls. That last one is huge, especially thanks to the fact that you'll be doubling up with Stalker of Kharash's favored enemy (evil).

So how does this all break down?

Assuming max Wis at start, +6 enhancement bonus and a +5 tome, that's a Wis of 34. Toss on Ki Straps for the +2. Use one of your essentia helm charges to max out Sapphire Fist, which amounts to an extra +2. Against our primary favored enemy, assuming it is evil, that means stun DCs of...

DC 10 +10 levels +12 Wis +4 Sapphire Fist +5 favored enemy +2 favored enemy (evil) +2 Ki Straps = DC 45.

Against our secondary favored enemies, this drops to a "mere" 43 - which is still so high that a balor will only suceed on a natural 20. But hang on, it gets better. See, Ascetic Hunter bases the boost to your stun DCs off of the bonus damage you do to your favored enemy. There's a neat little +1 enhancement in MIC called hunting that improves your damage against all your favored enemies by +4. Of course, since Stalker of Kharash lets you double up on favored enemies against evil creatures, this is effectively a +8 if your favored enemy is also evil - not only will that improve your damage by a pretty decent amount for the cost, it will also improve your stun DCs by +4 across the board. Toss that on a necklace of natural attacks and now you've got a stun DC of 49 versus your primary, and 47 versus your secondaries. That means that a CR 26 great wyrm red dragon needs a 17 or better to save against your stun.

Again, that's an 85% chance to stun a CR 26 great wyrm red dragon. Still not 100% though... unless you use a full round action to make a Decisive Strike, in which case the DC is 51, and the dragon only saves on a natural 20. You can even pump this further still by casting mark of the hunter, a third level spell that increases your favored enemy bonuses by +4. So, theoretically, you can get as high as DC 55! Of course, that requires a buff round and a full round action attack, so realistically, you're stuck with "only" 49.

This, once again, is on top of the fact that you're a fairly versatile tier 3 character in your own rights, thanks to SotAO spellcasting, decent unarmed damage, excellent BAB, fantastic defenses and wild shape.

Variants

First of all, if you play with Dragon Magazine material, there is absolutely no reason to not use the Mystic Ranger. I don't play with such material, so I didn't include it here, but that shouldn't stop you if it's allowed. It is in every way a strict upgrade from the above build.

Second, if flaws are allowed, there are a few feats that would go a long way for you. Pain Touch is the biggest feat this build is missing, as it effectively doubles the duration (and hence effectiveness) of your stuns by adding on a round of nausea after recovering from the stun. Nauseated foes can't do anything but make a single move action, so you've still effectively locked them down. Ability Focus is a flat +2 to your DC, which is pretty nice. Extra Stunning brings you from 7 stuns/day to 10 stuns/day. Extra Favored Enemy increases the swath of enemies you can apply your heft Ascetic Stalker bonuses toward. Pharaoh's Fist lets you stun groups, but beware - technically it's not a stun attack, so your Ascetic Hunter and Sapphire Fist bonuses won't apply. Finally, Nemesis gives you an auto-detection of your favored enemies, which is just fantastic alongside Arcane Hunter and FE (evil).

You can even drop Natural Spell if you don't plan to cast in combat, and prefer your spells to be used for utility and buffing purposes only. Again, picking up Pain Touch would be a huge boon for the build.

Finally, you can free up a feat by taking the Urban Companion ACF from Cityscape. This grants you a familiar-like companion that gives you many of the benefits of a standard familiar, which includes the Alertness feat. However, this means foregoing the Shooting Star ACF's bonus spells or CL boost. That's a big loss - but this build is feat starved, and you can actually make OK use out of an urban companion. Choose wisely.

Things to watch out for

Stun-immune foes are obviously a problem. Be sure to pack command undead with your SotAO slots to take on undead foes that will laugh at your super-charged DCs. Watch out for anything that looks like an odd, out of place third eye - it's probably a Third Eye: Clarity, which can allow someone to take an immediate action to avoid a stun. It has some drawbacks, though. Because it requires an immediate action, it can't be used while flat-footed, so surprise rounds are still fair game for stunning attacks. Also, it's only usable once a day, so if they avoid your stunning attack, you can just try again next round. Finally, it's easily sundered, and they're cheap enough that you don't need to feel too bad about sundering loot.

Zaq
2014-08-20, 03:12 PM
Bonus Essentia is only giving you a +1 essentia. It gives +2 if you can shape soulmelds, which you can't. So you've only got a +3 from Sapphire Fist.

Ascetic Stalker doesn't increase the number of times per day you can use Stunning Fist, so you're going to have 2 at second level, 3 at sixth, 4 at tenth, 5 at fourteenth, and 6 at eighteenth. That's not a whole lot to get you through the day. Massive DC or no massive DC, it only lasts for one round, so you need a lot of them if you want to keep using it as a primary strategy.

You're also pretty reliant on picking the right Favored Enemies. Is there a spell or a magic item out there that lets you apply your FE bonus against something other than your normal FE? (I've never really looked deeply into FE before, because it's so damn situational.) If so, that spell or magic item seems absolutely critical to your well-being. I know that you say that you're spreading around your secondaries, but still, given that humanoids and outsiders are subtype-specific, that's still a lot of critters that aren't going to be covered by your FE. I'd recommend trying to make Stalker of Kharesh the primary build rather than the variant . . . after all, you're already using BoED, and you're already exalted, so you're not really adding any complexity to the build that wasn't already there.

Decisive Strike (ACF from PHB2) adds +2 to the DC of Stunning Fist. It's not very flexible (it takes a full-round action and only gives you a single attack), but it's probably more useful to you than Flurry.

I like the idea, but I'm not sold on it being that useful in actual play unless you find some way to make the FE bonus trigger more reliably.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-20, 03:44 PM
Fiery Fist gives you an extra stun use, so it's actually 7/day.

Good catch on Bonus Essentia. At that point, it makes more sense to just grab an essentia helm or two rather than trying to finagle a soulmeld onto the build. That would free up a feat, so it would only take one extra feat for Stalker of Kharash access. Ability Focus is probably the one to go - Stalker will raise the DCs by more than +2, after all, so it's still a net gain DC-wise. Alternatively, Extra Stunning can be used to increase stun attempts.

I'll work in the changes when I get to a computer.

EDIT: OK, I made the changes. Actually, that ends up improving the stun DCs to 47 and 49, despite losing out on Ability Focus.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-20, 04:19 PM
First of all, props to you, Piggy Knowles. Anyone that can salvage Tier 3 out of a mess of lower tiers is doing a thing worth doing.

Hmm. There was a magic item in Dragon Magz somewhere that improves FE. Enemy spirit pouch? Spirit pouch?

Anyway, I remember it cause I banned it at one point in a low-op game where someone's FE bonuses against were approaching twenty or so. I believe (don't quote me on this) it doubles the FE bonus against the enemy that it is attuned to.

This may deserve a mention, as FE is one of your main three or so SF DC boosters.

No Pain Touch mention? It's not a universally useful feat, but since the FE-focus is already a more campaign dependent thing, in the campaigns where Pain Touch would be useful, it will be [I]really useful. (That is unless I'm confusing the feat with the other one....)

Also, and I'm not 100% clear on the math, but I think you could achieve a similar (if slightly more FE-type restricted) SF DC by using gnome or elf ranger substitution levels, as those bonuses really stack up (it's +3 modular against one of the racial enemy types, instead of +2...Rases of Stone and Races of the Wild respectively). Since the build kind of specializes for its primary combat trick, then this is probably worth a mention, along with the "even more of a one-trick pony" caveat (as your non-FE SF DCs drop). Still this opens up racial flexibility, which is appealing, and opens the build up to non-Incarnum campaigns (it is not the most widely-used splat).

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-20, 04:40 PM
Glad you like it!

I mentioned Pain Touch in the variants, and yeah, it was hard to not include it. Effectively doubling the duration of stuns is just hard to pass up, although it's not perfect (nauseated still allows a move action and doesn't make an enemy flat-footed, and is one more potential thing for a foe to be immune to).

If you had to drop something, Natural Spell is honestly one of the best options. Spellcasting can primarily be for utility purposes, which means in-combat casting will be a minimum. (It does mean you can't use mark of the enemy to effectively get a +8 damage bonus and +4 DC bonus, but honestly, since it requires a standard action to cast and only lasts a minute/level, that's not that great of an option.)

Going with another race for specialized FE bonuses means no azurin, which is effectively a +1 to attacks and stun DCs thanks to Sapphire Fist. You can still max out Sapphire Fist with an essentia helm at later levels, so it's not a HUGE loss, but it'll still be felt, as will the lack of a bonus feat. This build has about six feats it wants to include but doesn't have room for, so trimming things down even further is really pretty tough.

EDIT: I don't use Dragon Magazine in my games (which is why this isn't a Mystic Ranger, despite that being a clear upgrade), so I'm not too familiar with items found therein. If you had an item that doubled your FE bonuses, definitely get it and apply it to FE (evil)! That'll bring your bonus against evil foes up to an impressive +16, which stacks with any other favored enemy bonuses you might have.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-20, 04:49 PM
I would consider opening the build up to non-MoI campaigns worth a slight decrease in effectiveness. Overall, I don't think a small drop in DCs a bit will gank the effectiveness (though the levels at which the decreases hit will obviously be crucial to such an assessment).

Also, from a fluff standpoint, the build benefits from being slightly less racially dependent. I like the idea of several types of Birdman Stunnas operating in the same Tier 3 party, with complementary FE choices and skill selection so that they cover each other's gaps.

Sadly, I am remembering just now that one of the big perks about elf ranger sub level for FE is that it stacks FE bonuses for Undead 50% faster, which is really sweet when it's useful. Buuuut...Undead are immune to stun.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-20, 05:57 PM
Is there a way to deliver stuns through a weapon? Because if so, you could use exacting shot.

Darrin
2014-08-20, 06:28 PM
Is there a way to deliver stuns through a weapon? Because if so, you could use exacting shot.

Ki Focus. It's in the DMG, so it's even Core.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-08-20, 07:37 PM
The enemy spirit pouches are actually found in the Mic (can't remember which page though, but they occupy the throat slot) and they don't double your FE bonus, they just give you an extra +2 against the favoured enemy they are keyed to, depending on the wording it might give you a +1 DC to the stunning fist attemp or nothing. They are cheap (around 2000 GP) so in any case they are a good option.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-21, 01:27 AM
The item you're looking for is the Girdle of Hate (DComp, 16000gp). It doubles all bonuses against a chosen racial or favored enemy.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-21, 11:11 AM
OK, from reviewing the suggested items...

The Enemy Spirit Pouch in MIC will definitely work, as it explicitly improves your existing FE bonus by 2 for a specific favored enemy. That's a +1 DC boost, and it's cheap enough that you can get one for a few different common favored enemies and swap out as needed. Not earth shaking, but not too bad, either. Unfortunately you have to get one keyed to one of the ranger FE subtypes, so you can't get one that triggers off of your Stalker of Kharash's FE (evil).

As for the Girdle of Hate... holy crap. 16000gp isn't cheap, and it only keys in to one favored enemy at a time, but there's no reason you can't use this one against FE (evil). That means it effectively grants you +8 damage and +4 to your stun DCs against all evil foes. That's almost certainly worth the investment at higher levels, although it faces stiff competition from the Belt of Battle slot-wise.

Regarding exacting shot, unfortunately Ki Focus states that only melee weapons may gain the Ki Focus ability.

As an aside, it's probably not worth building into, because they aren't the best item options for the cost for Birdman Stunna, but Gharyn's Monastic Array (Cobra Straps, Scorpion Kama and Panther Mask) give you a +1 bonus to your stun DCs if you have at least two items from the array. Cobra Straps and Panther Mask are pretty cheap, and it's not like the bonuses they provide are bad, if that's the route you want to go. However, there are some better options for both the feet and face slots.

I'll add the Girdle and the Spirit Pouch to the magical gear goals.

Chronos
2014-08-21, 04:05 PM
Needs more Ring the Golden Bell. Why stun things in melee, when you can stun them from range?

WhamBamSam
2014-08-21, 04:34 PM
Needs more Ring the Golden Bell. Why stun things in melee, when you can stun them from range?It does have access to Blood Wind, though that's only a 20ft range increment.

One level of Martial Wizard would pick up the Weapon Focus prereq, as well as Alertness through the Familiar, which would be enough to open up Ring of the Golden Bell. It does delay Favored Enemy progression by a level and cost a point of BAB though.

Also, I have no idea how this thread made it so long without a Falcon Punch reference.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-21, 04:37 PM
A level of swordsage could do it too, though that has the same problems (but you'd get some maneuvers, so I guess it might be ok?)

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-21, 11:33 PM
It does have access to Blood Wind, though that's only a 20ft range increment.

True, but that means you can throw your unarmed strike as much as 100'. You'll take a -10 penalty for the five range increments, but that can be compensated for by spells like true strike if necessary.

If I had feats to spare, they'd probably go to Pain Touch and Extra Stunning, but Ring the Golden Bell is definitely a cool option.

daremetoidareyo
2014-08-22, 12:02 AM
Cool build. Any sense on how to sell the concept to a more literary less optimization friendly DM?

gorfnab
2014-08-22, 01:36 AM
If flaws are available you might be able to sneak in the feat Nemesis. Nemesis is very useful for Arcane Hunter/Stalker of Kharash builds.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-22, 10:09 AM
Hmm. You could squeeze in an extra feat if you dropped Shooting Star ranger for urban companion, which grants Alertness via your pseudo-familiar. Of course, that would mean giving up 4 bonus spells and your CL bump from Shooting Star, which hurts. Still, the build is feat-starved enough that it might be worthwhile.

Nemesis is a fun option that I always forget about. Use it to detect whether NPCs are secretly spellcasters!

Cool build. Any sense on how to sell the concept to a more literary less optimization friendly DM?

I guess it depends on the DM. Most of the optimization centers around two otherwise suboptimal abilities (favored enemy and stunning fist) - neither is particularly good in isolation, but with Ascetic Hunter they have some neat synergy. I did try to keep this build thematically consistent, rather than going for a bunch of dips and power grabs, and most DMs I know wouldn't have a problem with it. However, every game differs. My advice is pretty much always the same: talk to your DM during chargen, explaining what kind of character you want and what you hope to be able to do mechanically.

Chronos
2014-08-22, 10:37 AM
Nemesis is a fun option that I always forget about. Use it to detect whether NPCs are secretly spellcasters!
Or to detect whether NPCs are. It gets past Hide, Darkstalker, Invisibility, and most nondetection-type effects. Learning whenever any arcane spellcaster, or any evil creature, gets within 60' of you, no matter what they're doing for stealth, is extremely useful.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-22, 11:20 AM
A level of swordsage could do it too, though that has the same problems (but you'd get some maneuvers, so I guess it might be ok?)Swordsage doesn't give you Weapon Focus, just the benefit of Weapon Focus. Also it doesn't grant Alertness, whereas a level of Wizard would grant the Alertness feat with the familiar.

Actually, isn't there some Ranger ACF or other that gives you a familiar-esque thing that grants Alertness similarly? I seem to remember someone using it in the IC Darkstalker round. Might be worth looking into, since the build is so feat starved.

Cool build. Any sense on how to sell the concept to a more literary less optimization friendly DM?A travelling martial artist who hunts down evil (especially arcane evil) in Mystra's name, then falcon punches it, as a falcon.

It's almost pure Ranger, compared to the dippy stuff you usually see in melee optimization. I'd be sort of surprised if your DM had a problem with it.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-22, 11:23 AM
Actually, isn't there some Ranger ACF or other that gives you a familiar-esque thing that grants Alertness similarly? I seem to remember someone using it in the IC Darkstalker round. Might be worth looking into, since the build is so feat starved.

See my post (post #18). It's the Urban Companion ACF from Cityscape. It'll free up a feat, but you have to give up Shooting Star's bonus spells and +2 CL to do it. Just depends on whether four bonus spell slots and +2 CL is worth an extra feat. In most builds, I'd say it isn't... but this build can actually make decent use out of the urban companion, and really wants extra feats. That makes it a much more difficult choice.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-22, 11:30 AM
See my post (post #18). It's the Urban Companion ACF from Cityscape. It'll free up a feat, but you have to give up Shooting Star's bonus spells and +2 CL to do it. Just depends on whether four bonus spell slots and +2 CL is worth an extra feat. In most builds, I'd say it isn't... but this build can actually make decent use out of the urban companion, and really wants extra feats. That makes it a much more difficult choice.Derp. Right. I knew you'd traded the Animal Companion for something, but I didn't go back to check what.

123456789blaaa
2014-08-22, 03:15 PM
Aaaand into my future-character folder. Thanks PK! :smallbiggrin:

Irk
2014-08-22, 03:53 PM
Wow! I always love build showcases like these, and I'm a big fan of your work particularly, Piggy, so this is pretty cool! I just wish that Sapphire Fist worked like Sapphire Smite so that you could sue the recharge trick like the one in the Psycarnadin build concept in my sig.

I know Darrin mentioned Ki Focus, but Stunning Master allows you use Monk Weapons to channel Stunning Fist, so maybe that with shurikens could provide some interesting results merely for the purpose of delivering a stun attack (not optimal in terms of damage, but that did not really strike me as the point of this build). Also, maybe mention Martial Monk in the Dragon Magazine bit of variant discussion.

As a side note, I was wondering if you would mind if I played around with the aeshkrau + Giant Size + Arcane Strike combo you mentioned in your Archer Build Compendium (perhaps with the intent of posting something on here). I was looking to maybe combine it with the Wu-Jen + JPM combo, if that's alright.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-23, 09:20 AM
Aaaand into my future-character folder. Thanks PK! :smallbiggrin:

Glad you like it!

Wow! I always love build showcases like these, and I'm a big fan of your work particularly, Piggy, so this is pretty cool! I just wish that Sapphire Fist worked like Sapphire Smite so that you could sue the recharge trick like the one in the Psycarnadin build concept in my sig.

Yeah, Sapphire Fist overall is pretty meh as far as incarnum feats go, especially compared to things that gain an immediate benefit from an infusion of essentia, like Azure Talent and Sapphire Smite. Still, for an azurin it's a strict upgrade to Ability Focus (Stunning Fist) - it's a +2 to the DC like Ability Focus, and it also gives +2 to your attack rolls, and can be improved down the road with the super cheap essentia helms.

I know Darrin mentioned Ki Focus, but Stunning Master allows you use Monk Weapons to channel Stunning Fist, so maybe that with shurikens could provide some interesting results merely for the purpose of delivering a stun attack (not optimal in terms of damage, but that did not really strike me as the point of this build).

Using the blood wind spell will actually result in a better range than shuriken, as blood wind gives your natural weapons a range increment of 20', as opposed to 10' with the shuriken. Since thrown weapons cap out at a max of five range increments, that means blood wind lets you stun from up to 100' away compared to only 50' from shuriken. Not too shabby for a swift action first level spell. Still, I can't deny that the idea of stunning with shuriken is cool, and Stunning Master could also be nice alongside, say, wild shaping into a legendary ape and wielding a quarterstaff two-handed for a higher damage option.

Also, maybe mention Martial Monk in the Dragon Magazine bit of variant discussion.

Blargh, I really don't like the martial monk - it's the perfect example to me of how Dragon Magazine material just wasn't properly reviewed or considered. That said, I already included the mystic ranger in variants, so I might as well include the martial monk, personal distaste aside.

As a side note, I was wondering if you would mind if I played around with the aeshkrau + Giant Size + Arcane Strike combo you mentioned in your Archer Build Compendium (perhaps with the intent of posting something on here). I was looking to maybe combine it with the Wu-Jen + JPM combo, if that's alright.

Feel free! None of my ideas are proprietary - most of them are intended to spur discussion more than anything else. I'd like to see what you come up with.