PDA

View Full Version : Creating An Explosives Expert

Pinkcrusade
2014-08-20, 03:44 PM
Greetings, Playground.

I was wondering of ways to create a sapper-like character using 3.0/3.5 material (not PF). Somebody who focuses on bombs, explosions, dynamite, etc..

Thanks

aleucard
2014-08-20, 05:18 PM
There are a few non-magical ways of making things explode, but they are almost universally 1) weak and 2) massively expensive, especially for their use. You'll need to convince your DM to allow you to use GP-Generation tricks just to be able to use your schtick in most encounters. You're much better off just asking your DM if you can homebrew some explosives, and possibly allow researching to make your creations more efficient.

Curbstomp
2014-08-23, 01:08 AM
Splash weapons could be stacked for damage if your DM allows it. Specifically a pint of oil is cheap and can be used for 1d6 fire damage (see PHB entry). What if you had 8 pints in a little barrel already positioned on the battlefield then lit it by throwing an alchemist's fire into the little oil barrel? Small area of effect, but potentially 1d6, 2d6, or 9d6 damage depending on how it was ruled.

Best (non-magical) way to work on a sapper-type character that is covered in the rules is a two weapon fighter style ranger with Grenadier. Try to have all the favored enemies to chuck explosives at. There may also be rules covering gun powder alternative uses in Stormwrack.

Hazrond
2014-08-23, 01:15 AM
Greetings, Playground.

I was wondering of ways to create a sapper-like character using 3.0/3.5 material (not PF). Somebody who focuses on bombs, explosions, dynamite, etc..

Thanks

ive got the one magic item to fix all your needs good sir! How would you like to invest in an Eternal Wand of Explosive Runes! :smallbiggrin:

Talionis
2014-08-23, 09:11 AM
Races of Dragon has some explosives.

Players Handbook Two has Mad Alchemist Feat that can give you a pretty darn good counter spell and can add to damage.

I often have wanted to marry Alchemist Savant from Magic of Ebberon with Combat Trapsmith from Complete Scoundrel. They don't go together real well since Alchemist Savant needs third level spells and Combat Trapsmith doesn't advance casting, but being able to make non magical traps out of nothing and add spells to them is pretty cool.

Alchemical Savant also works well with Alchemical Weapons, especially Alchemical Arrows. Add a level of Arcane Archer to add some extra layer of spells to arrows, which can also be alchemical and carrying another spell payload.

In this kind of build you probably want help with increasing spell level. The Pyromancer from Five Nations can do that for fire spells. To character level.

These ideas might be too caster for your idea, but alchemy in 3.5 is so tied to casting it can make it hard not to use at least some caster. But it could be fun to try to be competitive with this kind of build with no real high level spells even while keeping your low level spells at a high enough caster level to be relevant.

Good luck!

Diovid
2014-08-24, 03:51 AM
Step 1: Be an Artificer 5 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Master Alchemist 10 or a Wizard 5 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Master Alchemist 10
Step 2: Do not use your abilities to cast spells or create any items except for alchemical items and potions.
Step 3: Only take feats that relate to creating potions and alchemical items or that relate to throwing them, such as Skill Focus (Craft (Alchemy)), Brew Potion, Grenadier, Mad Alchemist, Apprentice (Craftsman) and other feats which reduce the cost of item creation (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000.0).

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-24, 08:34 AM
I'd suggest you take a look at the Uncanny Trapsmith (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3413191) by RadicalTaoist. Basically, it uses Uncanny Trickster to progress Combat Trapsmith beyond its five levels, giving you increased DCs. It also has a number of trips to set traps in the middle of combat without the possibility of enemies attacking back, such as Fade Into Violence, which allows you to make a bluff check to cause an enemy to target someone else instead of you.

It also has several other neat tricks. The final build is Changeling Rogue 3/Artificer 2/Combat Trapsmith 5/Uncanny Trickster 3/Spymaster 7.

Mithril Leaf
2014-08-24, 09:08 AM
Might I suggest at the least Hidden Power (Minor Creation) or preferably a good number of levels in psion, as that power allows you with a craft alchemy check (not sure what it would be, but that makes the most sense for distillation) to create Jeffrey Pine Resin, which explodes real good like. Real real good like.

PangolinPie
2014-08-25, 09:57 AM
I often have wanted to marry Alchemist Savant from Magic of Ebberon with Combat Trapsmith from Complete Scoundrel. They don't go together real well since Alchemist Savant needs third level spells and Combat Trapsmith doesn't advance casting, but being able to make non magical traps out of nothing and add spells to them is pretty cool.

The "Trapsmith" PRC from Dungeonscape actually grants up to third level arcane casting, making you applicable for Alchemist Savant. I actually prefer that variant to the Combat Trapsmith personally.

Talionis
2014-08-25, 03:57 PM
The "Trapsmith" PRC from Dungeonscape actually grants up to third level arcane casting, making you applicable for Alchemist Savant. I actually prefer that variant to the Combat Trapsmith personally.

Of course then Alchemist Savant isn't advancing Trapsmith casting much, which is loosing a whole bunch of casting power.

PangolinPie
2014-08-26, 05:21 PM
Of course then Alchemist Savant isn't advancing Trapsmith casting much, which is loosing a whole bunch of casting power.

Could just dip for a level of Wizard and convince the GM to allow spell progression based on the Trapsmith's casting table and continue with Alchemist Savant.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-26, 05:29 PM

It's a better PrC in general, mostly on the strength of those spells. That said, its traps are pretty lackluster. There's some fun to be had with the tripwire and a heavily boosted Craft check, but in the end all it does is make someone fall down.

The Combat Trapsmith is a worse PrC overall, but its traps are way better.

Best option of all? Combine them into a single class! See if your DM will allow the Combat Trapsmith traps on the standard Trapsmith chassis.