PDA

View Full Version : weapons for a dervish

bjoern
2014-08-20, 06:11 PM
Hitting stuff with poky things is fun. Hitting things a lot with poky things is more fun.

What weapons and enchantments would you put on your duel wielding dervish? He gets lots of attacks so naturally stuff that stacks is very potent. I like wounding. Enfeebling is nice also since its cheap. Try to apply a bargain shoppers mentality to it and get the most bang for your buck. You are a mundane after all and have other gear you need to buy in order to (hopefully) keep you alive for a few rounds against a caster.

WBL for level 10, 15, 20 or whatever level you'd like.

gooddragon1
2014-08-20, 06:21 PM
It's fun unless you deal no damage.

Transmuting enhancement to get through DR.

Shieldbunny
2014-08-20, 06:26 PM
Wounding isn't that good for a dervish actually, as generally a full attack will just kill whatever you hit. I'd go with +4 keen/vorpal scimitars.

EDIT: change got a dervish you to for a dervish.

Averis Vol
2014-08-20, 06:26 PM
Depends on the build I guess. At the very least I would say maybe a +x collision weapon of your choice.

bjoern
2014-08-20, 06:32 PM
Wounding isn't that good for a dervish actually, as generally a full attack will just kill whatever you hit. I'd go with +4 keen/vorpal scimitars.

EDIT: change got a dervish you to for a dervish.

Vorpal only works on a nat 20 (still cool though)

Keen on two different weapons is pricy considering you can just take improved crit :scimitar and get the same thing.
Keen and improved crit don't stack.

Seppo87
2014-08-20, 06:32 PM
Collision is mandatory, if you have martial adepts levels Martial Discipline also is.

If you can, use Sunblades as a base. They're both light weapons and bastard swords. You can finesse + power attack with them.

Shieldbunny
2014-08-20, 06:36 PM
Vorpal only works on a nat 20 (still cool though)

Keen on two different weapons is pricy considering you can just take improved crit :scimitar and get the same thing.
Keen and improved crit don't stack.

Sadly I was thinking 3.0 Vorpal. My normal group keeps the Improved Crit and Keen stacking as well but that's not why I suggested it. Keen can be expensive, but it does save you a feat in a build that eats more of them than the Cookie Monster does Cookies.

bjoern
2014-08-20, 06:38 PM
Sadly I was thinking 3.0 Vorpal. My normal group keeps the Improved Crit and Keen stacking as well but that's not why I suggested it. Keen can be expensive, but it does save you a feat in a build that eats more of them than the Cookie Monster does Cookies.

It is sad. I truly miss the 12-20 vorpal scimitar of doom. Ahhh good times.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-08-20, 06:39 PM
I made my dervish as a reach-tripper with a guisarme (and bladed gauntlets for up-close) and would heavily recommend it for any dervish over TWF style, it just meshes much better with the hit-and-run and makes Whirlwind Attack (you acquire all the pre-reqs anyway) actually pretty good.

But, for TWF style.... First off, unless you're getting GMW from someone, you're better off just making them +5 for the attack bonuses.
That said....at very high levels, the ~ 30,000 gp (flat cost) for Prismatic Burst becomes very tempting on your 15-20 threat range (keen, or imp. crit) scimitars. Even if the save DC is poor, it can automatically kill or remove a foe on each crit.
If you have any ToB stances, getting the discipline type of the stance you're always in is well worth it (+1 cost; get a +3 to hit).
Aptitude enhancement is broken, but if your DM allows it, it's a +1 and lets you use those scimitars with Lightning Mace weapon style feat. Bonus attack on every crit!

bjoern
2014-08-20, 07:02 PM
Sun blade is pretty nice. Albeit expensive.

So far were looking at
+5
Collision (+2)
Transmuting (+2)
Enfeebling (+1)

And maybe some kind of crystal

elonin
2014-08-20, 09:09 PM
I'd suggest holy depending on the campaign which nets you +2 and +2d6 vs evil. I'd also recommend Greater True death crystals or Greater crystals vs constructs (the name escapes me right now). The greater versions of those crystals will allow you to get precision damage vs those creatures.

Andezzar
2014-08-21, 12:55 AM
If you can, use Sunblades as a base. They're both light weapons and bastard swords. You can finesse + power attack with them.Check that with your DM. The rules are quite contradictory:
This sword is the size of a bastard sword. However, a sun blade is wielded as if it were a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use. (In other words, the weapon appears to all viewers to be a bastard sword, and deals bastard sword damage, but the wielder feels and reacts as if the weapon were a short sword.)This means that you have no choice but to use it as a light weapon i.e. Weapon Finesse Works, but not Power Attack.

In normal combat, the glowing golden blade of the weapon is equal to a +2 bastard sword.This could be interpreted as you must use it as a one-handed exotic/two-handed martial weapon i.e. no Weapon Finesse but Power Attack works.

@bjoern: If there is a caster in the group don't put +5 on the weapons but only +1 to enable the special abilities. Then have the caster cast Greater Magic Weapon on it. that gives you 4 more slots for special abilities.