PDA

View Full Version : Am going to DM hell for this..

CyberThread
2014-08-20, 06:14 PM
Giving a gelatinous cube , 5 extra levels of a monk focused on grappling :D

Brookshw
2014-08-20, 06:15 PM
And........?

bjoern
2014-08-20, 06:16 PM

That's not very nice.

Seppo87
2014-08-20, 06:16 PM
in b4 "it would lower its CR"

Flickerdart
2014-08-20, 06:21 PM
in b4 "it would lower its CR"
It would actually increase its CR by 3 (Monk is an unassociated level for every monster).

Having said that, it's illegal to give monsters with Int -- class levels, and even if it weren't, Monk is a terrible choice, and so is grappling in general (as a Cube does not need to grapple to engulf its target and paralyzes it once it's inside anyway).

JusticeZero
2014-08-20, 06:32 PM
...All I could think about was this (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-3/)... :smalleek:

atemu1234
2014-08-20, 06:34 PM

No, provided you adjust the CR, of course.

Seppo87
2014-08-20, 06:35 PM
Since you're giving it class levels anyway, Swordsage might be funny.

Imagine a gelatinous cube becoming invisible at will and teleporting around like it's nothing.

At high levels it can even fly.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-20, 06:40 PM
It would actually increase its CR by 3 (Monk is an unassociated level for every monster).

Having said that, it's illegal to give monsters with Int -- class levels, and even if it weren't, Monk is a terrible choice, and so is grappling in general (as a Cube does not need to grapple to engulf its target and paralyzes it once it's inside anyway).

Step 1: Introduce a friendly Goo Girl NPC. Bonus points if one of your players has a fetish for that sort of thing.

Step 2: Neglect to inform the players that she's Gelatinous Cube-based until they try to have sex with her.

Shining Wrath
2014-08-20, 06:43 PM
Giving it a level of Spirit Lion Barbarian so it can Pounce would earn you DM Hell.

This just gives you DM purgatory.

Mystia
2014-08-20, 06:53 PM
Step 1: Introduce a friendly Goo Girl NPC. Bonus points if one of your players has a fetish for that sort of thing.

Step 2: Neglect to inform the players that she's Gelatinous Cube-based until they try to have sex with her.

It's sad to think that my players would fall for this immediately :smallbiggrin:
I'm willing to bet that they would probably even fight for the gelatinous girl. Like they do for every friendly female NPC I introduce, especially when it happens to be a murderous beast in disguise.

... I feel like I might go to the DM hell because I do like to pull those tricks on my players, since they fall for them every time.

Twilightwyrm
2014-08-20, 06:59 PM

THIS gets you DM hell, but only the first circle.

Threadnaught
2014-08-20, 07:01 PM

Is there a way to Awaken an Ooze?

I've just performed a quick search and have come up short. If it were possible, then those 5 Monk levels would give the Ooze faster movement and better defences.

nedz
2014-08-20, 07:04 PM

LOL, Saw someone give a GC a Death Knight template once; which is not RAW by any stretch of the imagination.

Flickerdart
2014-08-20, 07:08 PM

I've just performed a quick search and have come up short. If it were possible, then those 5 Monk levels would give the Ooze faster movement and better defences.
Sentry Oozes have an Intelligence score. I like making Sentry Living Spells for incredible mental stats.

Urpriest
2014-08-20, 07:17 PM
This only earns you DM hell if you fail to give it a template that grants it an Int score first.

After all, I did design DM hell specifically for DMs who misapply the monster rules. :smallfurious::smallbiggrin:

Vaz
2014-08-20, 07:29 PM
You mean, like done here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a)?

Sir Chuckles
2014-08-20, 07:42 PM
It depends on how much Dragon you allow, because Awaken Ooze is in there somewhere.

I'm using this for my group of new players, in which the Halfling uses wooden phalluses as throwing clubs. I have to get such things out of their system now. And, yes, I get bonus points.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-20, 07:43 PM
It's sad to think that my players would fall for this immediately :smallbiggrin:
I'm willing to bet that they would probably even fight for the gelatinous girl. Like they do for every friendly female NPC I introduce, especially when it happens to be a murderous beast in disguise.

... I feel like I might go to the DM hell because I do like to pull those tricks on my players, since they fall for them every time.

One of my players (my hubby, actually) tries to sleep with female NPCs with frightening consistency; He goes after any female I don't explicitly describe as:

- Old

- Ugly/deformed

- Sufficiently nonhumanoid or monstrous

At first this really annoyed me because I kept feeling like it was derailing the game; I don't like roleplaying PC/NPC romances (no, not even with my hubby) and I can't say the other players were totally engaged by it either.

Then I learned to have fun with it.

Milodiah
2014-08-20, 07:44 PM
"The gelatinous cube braces itself for a Flurry of Blows..."

*WHUMP* *WHUMP* *WHUMP* *WHUMP*

Shinken
2014-08-20, 07:57 PM
I remember a Forgotten Realms adventure that included a fiendish black pudding. Since it got an Intelligence score, I was considering adding some class levels to it. Even considered if it could get Alter Self somewhere. I gave up on it because it would derail the adventure too much if I focused on it and if I didn't it would only had meant extra work for nothing.

atemu1234
2014-08-20, 08:20 PM

I know a template that turns a sentient creature INTO an ooze.

Zanos
2014-08-20, 08:47 PM

If I weren't exceptionally paranoid, especially about NPCs, that might get me.

Mystia
2014-08-20, 10:09 PM
One of my players (my hubby, actually) tries to sleep with female NPCs with frightening consistency; He goes after any female I don't explicitly describe as:

- Old

- Ugly/deformed

- Sufficiently nonhumanoid or monstrous

At first this really annoyed me because I kept feeling like it was derailing the game; I don't like roleplaying PC/NPC romances (no, not even with my hubby) and I can't say the other players were totally engaged by it either.

Then I learned to have fun with it.

Oh my goddess, good to know that I'm not the only one with players like that! Though in my case they're only my friends soo you can guess how that may feel awfully awkward for me :smallsigh: Overall they behave exactly like that, save one or two. Like you, I also don't like to roleplay those interactions too much, but thankfully they're happy to solve it with a Diplomacy or Charisma check sometimes. As time went, I got better at dealing with those situations though, and some attempts fail so hilariously that everyone at the table is able to enjoy a good laugh.

But honestly they never cease to amaze me. We have even a houseruled "Appearance" score, which ranges from 1 to 10, 5 being 'average'... and it seems that a "3" isn't enough to scare some of them off. Kinda justified when it's the Barbarian, but still, oh well.

Ultimately, looks like we reached the same solution :smalltongue:. Turns out that a few unfortunate surprises here and there are a flawless way to make them a bit more cautious and paranoid.

Haluesen
2014-08-20, 11:37 PM

Hmm ignoring the comments of others about Int scores and class levels...there are ways to give even better grapple bonuses I am certain. With a concept like this, why play soft? :smallamused:

Now this is worth of DM hell, but utterly brilliant. :smallbiggrin: I tip my hat to you!

This only earns you DM hell if you fail to give it a template that grants it an Int score first.

After all, I did design DM hell specifically for DMs who misapply the monster rules. :smallfurious::smallbiggrin:

So UrPriest, would you personally know of any ways for our intrepid ooze to gain sentience? :smallbiggrin:

Oh my goddess, good to know that I'm not the only one with players like that! Though in my case they're only my friends soo you can guess how that may feel awfully awkward for me :smallsigh: Overall they behave exactly like that, save one or two. Like you, I also don't like to roleplay those interactions too much, but thankfully they're happy to solve it with a Diplomacy or Charisma check sometimes. As time went, I got better at dealing with those situations though, and some attempts fail so hilariously that everyone at the table is able to enjoy a good laugh.

But honestly they never cease to amaze me. We have even a houseruled "Appearance" score, which ranges from 1 to 10, 5 being 'average'... and it seems that a "3" isn't enough to scare some of them off. Kinda justified when it's the Barbarian, but still, oh well.

Ultimately, looks like we reached the same solution :smalltongue:. Turns out that a few unfortunate surprises here and there are a flawless way to make them a bit more cautious and paranoid.

Gonna join in on knowing players who play like this. One of them fortunately doesn't care to go into detail and just likes his characters getting shipped somehow, so that is easy to play out well enough for the funnies. :smallbiggrin: I've had to learn to adjust too but it can be fun from time to time.

One friend though...she's into ERP and I'm...well not. :smallredface: So she could and tends to prefer those sort of interactions, if I didn't shut her down early. :smallamused: Still an implied interaction led to a drow companion in the group so sometimes they work for the best... :smalltongue:

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-20, 11:57 PM
Now this is worth of DM hell, but utterly brilliant. :smallbiggrin: I tip my hat to you!

DM: Okay, make a fortitude save.

Player: (nervously) *rolls d20*

DM: After she notices you've stopped moving, she looks down at the growing pool of blood inside her lower abdomen, and says "I'm so sorry, that's never happened before!"

Haluesen
2014-08-21, 12:26 AM

DM: After she notices you've stopped moving, she looks down at the growing pool of blood inside her lower abdomen, and says "I'm so sorry, that's never happened before!"

Oh geez. :smallbiggrin: And I know one of my aforementioned players would fall for this and probably laugh her head off, after wondering how the heck that happened.

And thank you, now I really want to make a goo-girl NPC for whatever possible reason for the game I'm running. I need to find some way to incorporate this. :smalltongue: If you don't mind me using the idea of course. Full credit to you naturally.

Inevitability
2014-08-21, 01:10 AM

Yes, Awaken Ooze, from Dragon Magazine. Then again, it's dragon magazine.

Another ooze-related comment, apparently oozes can be Fiendish, but they can't be Celestial. :smallconfused:

Sith_Happens
2014-08-21, 03:17 AM

/thread This space intentionally left blank.

Psyren
2014-08-21, 10:17 AM
And........?

It's Cyberthread :smalltongue:

Darrin
2014-08-21, 10:45 AM
So UrPriest, would you personally know of any ways for our intrepid ooze to gain sentience? :smallbiggrin:

Fiendish has already been mentioned, and a fiendish gelatinous cube monk (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a) was featured on the WotC website at one point.
Pseudonatural (Complete Arcane/Lords of Madness) for Int = 3.
Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) for Int = 2.

From there, Half-Dragon and/or Phrenic can be used to increase Int by +2. Spellwarped (MM3) is good for Int +4. (Sentry Ooze + Half-Dragon is what I used for Orthagonel Velodrake (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16886796&postcount=204).)

Awaken Ooze is in Dragon Magazine #304.

Many oozes are already intelligent:
Reason Stealer (MMII)
Conflagration Ooze (MMIII)
Summoning Ooze (MMIII)
Cesspit Ooze (Cityscape)
Assassin Jelly (WotC Article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040916a))
Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape)

WotC also did a series of Living Spells on the website, and most of those are intelligent, but I'm not entirely sure where they are on the archive site.

Graypairofsocks
2014-08-21, 11:13 AM
THIS gets you DM hell, but only the first circle.

What gets you to the 4th?

atemu1234
2014-08-21, 11:16 AM
What gets you to the 4th?

Running a DMPC/Mary Sue.

Ninth involves running a d2 crusader against them.

dascarletm
2014-08-21, 11:50 AM
Running a DMPC/Mary Sue.

would 10th involve having a DMPC that is a gestalt d2 crusader//wizard? (Of course the rest of the PCs are not gestalt.) Also 18s in every stat. "What? I rolled them; I was just lucky!"

Flickerdart
2014-08-21, 11:55 AM
Running a DMPC/Mary Sue.

Ninth involves running a d2 crusader against the PCs and insisting on rolling all the dice.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-21, 12:12 PM
Bring in a level 20 Wizard NPC with Sacred Geometry and 20 ranks in Knowledge (Engineering).

Make the players work out the math with all those dice so the wizard can cast that quickened insta-kill spell against them.

Vaz
2014-08-21, 12:33 PM
Running a DMPC/Mary Sue.

Please, HP damage is so low optimizing. 9th circle can be beaten by Beastlands Ferocity and Delay Death, as well as True Resurrection.

It doesn't matter how many dice you roll. I'll just get pizza and watch you roll =).

No, 9th level is a Time bending campaign. When you have a DM who is using things like Teleport Through Time, and the Save Game Trick (Groundhog day, part deux), you're going to annoy your party far more than "oh, he got Raised/He's a Lich and you didn't kill him", you actually force everything to start over again. No extra loot, no extra GP, you are back where you started 20ish hours ago.

Haluesen
2014-08-21, 01:27 PM
Fiendish has already been mentioned, and a fiendish gelatinous cube monk (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a) was featured on the WotC website at one point.

From there, Half-Dragon and/or Phrenic can be used to increase Int by +2. Spellwarped (MM3) is good for Int +4. (Sentry Ooze + Half-Dragon is what I used for Orthagonel Velodrake (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16886796&postcount=204).)

Reason Stealer (MMII)
Summoning Ooze (MMIII)
Cesspit Ooze (Cityscape)
Assassin Jelly (WotC Article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040916a))

WotC also did a series of Living Spells on the website, and most of those are intelligent, but I'm not entirely sure where they are on the archive site.

Hmm thank you for all this. :smallbiggrin: Now I feel like making an ooze-centric dungeon, possibly with the boss guy being a standard person with that ooze-based PrC. :smallamused: Oh the players could have fun with this. None of them are precision attack based or crit focused or centered on mind-affecting spells so it wouldn't be crippling to them to have a place full of oozes.

Please, HP damage is so low optimizing. 9th circle can be beaten by Beastlands Ferocity and Delay Death, as well as True Resurrection.

It doesn't matter how many dice you roll. I'll just get pizza and watch you roll =).

No, 9th level is a Time bending campaign. When you have a DM who is using things like Teleport Through Time, and the Save Game Trick (Groundhog day, part deux), you're going to annoy your party far more than "oh, he got Raised/He's a Lich and you didn't kill him", you actually force everything to start over again. No extra loot, no extra GP, you are back where you started 20ish hours ago.

Well I am probably pretty low op then. At least in the games I run. Players can cut through my encounters just through damage fairly easy. :smallsigh:

And I would be pretty annoyed by someone trying to run a game like this against me. :smallannoyed: No amount of DM DR would save him/her.

kestrel404
2014-08-21, 02:08 PM

As an actual build:
Fiendish Gelatenous Cube Dragonfire Adept
Ooze 4/Dragonfire Adept 6 (CR 9)

Takes the invocations Beguiling Influence, Aquatic Adaptation and Humanoid Shape.
Takes the breath effects Sickening Breath and Slow Breath
Takes the feats Persuasive, Skill Focus (Bluff), Entangling Exhalation, some others (Shape soulmeld could be hilarious...)

Chronos
2014-08-21, 07:15 PM
"Goo girl"? This is a thing?

Quoth Flickerdart:

Are you sure about that? The associated-level rules mostly just say that a level is associated if it plays to a monster's strengths, and while that's somewhat vague, Monk does certainly seem to play to a cube's strengths.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-21, 07:49 PM
"Goo girl"? This is a thing?

Yeah, it's a hentai thing. I tried to find an unsexualized, work-safe picture to show you, but after about 30 minutes of searching I gave up.

Snowbluff
2014-08-21, 07:58 PM
^ Hilarity ^

If I weren't exceptionally paranoid, especially about NPCs, that might get me.

I'd be dead in 3 rounds. :l

CyberThread
2014-08-21, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's a hentai thing. I tried to find an unsexualized, work-safe picture to show you, but after about 30 minutes of searching I gave up.

Yes, other things that come from that fetish is Ink from Batman Beyond, and Melona from Queens blade :P

Snowbluff
2014-08-21, 07:59 PM
Ink from Batman Beyond, :P
Two rounds.

atemu1234
2014-08-21, 08:37 PM

Well, you know what they say about the internet :smalleek:.

Anyway, I've decided to homebrew a race for that... not that that, but for this thread. Aiming pretty hard at LA +0. It'll probably be posted into the thread marked in my sig.

But apart from awakening, is there an Ooze race that is first party?

With a box
2014-08-21, 08:44 PM
not that that

What that? :smile:

atemu1234
2014-08-21, 08:55 PM
What that? :smile:

Again, you know what they say about the internet.

Lightlawbliss
2014-08-21, 09:54 PM
would 10th involve having a DMPC that is a gestalt d2 crusader//wizard? (Of course the rest of the PCs are not gestalt.) Also 18s in every stat. "What? I rolled them; I was just lucky!"

there where does running pun pun dmpc fall?

atemu1234
2014-08-21, 10:06 PM
there where does running pun pun dmpc fall?

At that point, you are literally Satan. You rule over DM hell.

Snowbluff
2014-08-21, 10:09 PM
At that point, you are literally Satan. You rule over DM hell.As the avatar of PC-dom, I would have to note that we would be MORTAL ENEMIES.
:smalltongue:

2014-08-21, 10:16 PM

Reason Stealer (MMII)
Summoning Ooze (MMIII)
Cesspit Ooze (Cityscape)

Reason Stealer does SO not count...

Haluesen
2014-08-21, 11:19 PM
As the avatar of PC-dom, I would have to note that we would be MORTAL ENEMIES.
:smalltongue:

I just saw that stuff in your sig, that's pretty awesome. :smallbiggrin: You got my thumbs up for awesomeness there.

Reason Stealer does SO not count...

I read the creature and you are right, it wouldn't work since it only retains the intelligence for 24 hours. Though that is 24 hours of having the potential to be a parkour ooze. :smallamused:

That did encourage me to at least look up the creature though, and now I want to center an adventure around it. :smallbiggrin:

NooDM
2014-08-22, 06:12 PM

You know, this almost happened in my first campaign, which wasn't that long ago now I think about it.

Basically she was the adopted daughter of the retired hero type. Who's Inn was made from the wreckage of a pirate ship. Most of my creation methods were remixing the classic stereotypes of Tabletop RPG that are almost cliche (or actually cliche and I didn't know that well). :smallredface:

So the Dwarf Barbarian spent every night (they had permanent residence for helping when the inn turned into a ship and sailed across the land) trying to pull the Halfling that caught his eye. I will give him that he was patient.

To make a long story short, it didn't happen in canon because they left town (they managed to derail me by actually following the rail track, funny that).

It was going to be this whole other tale of her long ago becoming half ooze (she had a spell to look normal halfling) to prevent her from dying from an illness. An evil wizard did it, seeing her plight as a chance to experiment.

Never happened as they went off to save a kingdom.

Note to self - Keep character idea for inspiration

Fun times that campaign :smallbiggrin: