PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Jo Sticks in 3.5?

Palanan
2014-08-20, 10:23 PM
The Rokugan Campaign Setting lists the jo as a simple weapon, but this is 3.0 material. Has the jo been updated in any of the 3.5 sourcebooks?

BWR
2014-08-20, 10:49 PM
The Rokugan Campaign Setting lists the jo as a simple weapon, but this is 3.0 material. Has the jo been updated in any of the 3.5 sourcebooks?

Don't think so, but there is no reason it should be anything else than Simple. The AEG books were 3.0 and they never released any updated material. The jo is basically a club so you might as well keep it Simple.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-20, 10:50 PM
I thought Rokugan got 3.5 update notes in one of the Dragon mags?

Palanan
2014-08-20, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fax Celestis
I thought Rokugan got 3.5 update notes in one of the Dragon mags?

The 3.5 update was in Dragon 318, but it was for Oriental Adventures, not the 3.0 Rokugan campaign setting. And the Dragon update addressed just about everything except mundane weapons.

Unless you're thinking of a separate update article specifically for Rokugan?

Originally Posted by BWR
Don't think so, but there is no reason it should be anything else than Simple.

Okay, thanks.

--So here's a question: would the jo qualify as a light weapon for the purposes of Weapon Finesse?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-20, 11:48 PM
Oh true. I always get those mixed up.

Ashtagon
2014-08-20, 11:57 PM
Oriental Adventures was updated to 3.5e in Dragon #318. However, that article made no mention of non-magical equipment. In any case, Oriental Adventures (3.0e) never made any mention of the jo stick.

According to the Rokugan Campaign Setting, a "jo" is a simple Medium weapon doing 1d6/×3 bludgeoning damage that weighs 2 lb. A related weapon, the "bo", is a simple Large double weapon doing 1d6/1d6/×2 bludgeoning damage that weighs 4 lb. Both have negligible (zero) cost.

Change Medium and Large in those listings to one-handed and two-handed respectively, and you have you conversion done.

Alternately, use club and quarterstaff stats for those two weapons. Because the RCS stats exactly match the 3.0e versions of those two weapons.

Shinken
2014-08-21, 12:39 AM
I'm pretty sure Oriental Adventures even says somewhere that jo are clubs.

Thurbane
2014-08-21, 04:31 AM

Indeed - it's a footnote under the "Weapon's from the Players Handbook" table on page 70.

Psyren
2014-08-21, 07:56 AM
The jo would most likely translate to the hanbo, which is a simple weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/eastern-weapons) in Pathfinder. I would just use those stats.

Palanan
2014-08-21, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Shinken

Originally Posted by Thurbane
Indeed - it's a footnote under the "Weapon's from the Players Handbook" table on page 70.

Missed the footnote, thanks.

Originally Posted by Psyren
The jo would most likely translate to the hanbo, which is a simple weapon in Pathfinder. I would just use those stats.

Aha, thank you. Those stats are almost exactly the same as the Rokugan jo, but clarified as a light weapon.

So, as a light weapon, would it qualify for Weapon Finesse? It would seem so, but wanted to double-check.

Psyren
2014-08-21, 02:03 PM
Missed the footnote, thanks.

Aha, thank you. Those stats are almost exactly the same as the Rokugan jo, but clarified as a light weapon.

So, as a light weapon, would it qualify for Weapon Finesse? It would seem so, but wanted to double-check.

Yes - then you put the Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) property on it and get Dex to damage.

Palanan
2014-08-21, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
Yes - then you put the Agile property on it and get Dex to damage.

Oh, I do like. :smallsmile:

This raises a question--would the Dex-to-damage carry over into nonlethal? This is for someone who has Subduing Strike (from BoED) and only does nonlethal with the jo stick. Would an Agile jo stick convert the Dex portion of the damage to nonlethal as well? ...or would there be complications?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-21, 05:23 PM
Yes, it would convert to nonlethal, though, again, that's Pathfinder and not 3.5 material. If you're going to use stuff from Pathfinder you might as well just use the jo as printed, with the conversion to a 1-handed weapon (which means you can't use WF or Agile with it anyway :( ).

Psyren
2014-08-21, 08:53 PM
Yes, it would all convert to nonlethal, just as if you attacked with the -4 penalty to make it nonlethal normally.

And I would stick with the hanbo so that agile continues to work with it.