PDA

View Full Version : How identical is splitting?

Necroticplague
2014-08-21, 05:53 AM
When using a Splitting bow or the Arrowsplit spell, do properties that are not instrinsic to the arrows get copied? Such as, say, stacking the two for a lot of attacks in a standard action? Or duping the effects of an Imbued Arrow from an arcane archer?

holywhippet
2014-08-21, 08:03 PM
As overpowered as it sounds, I'd have to say yes to both. It would be intended to split for regular attacks normally. For the imbue arrow ability the text for splitting says it shares all nonsplitting properties of the original missile which I'd have to consider includes the spell cast on the arrow.

I would not be surprised if a DM didn't allow the latter though, or even the splitting property in general since it basically doubles the number of attacks you can make.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-21, 08:07 PM
Personally I'd say yes to both. But I've not been in a situation where it came up yet, so I think I'd be pretty clear to the player that that ruling was experimental and could change. Test it at the most permissive level and rachet back if it's too much, which I think would depend on the game.

Snowbluff
2014-08-21, 08:10 PM
Same. Magical arrows are already Masterwork, so Arrowsplit wouldn't get rid of enhancements, either. :smalltongue:

holywhippet
2014-08-21, 08:14 PM
Personally I'd say yes to both. But I've not been in a situation where it came up yet, so I think I'd be pretty clear to the player that that ruling was experimental and could change. Test it at the most permissive level and rachet back if it's too much, which I think would depend on the game.

Unless a DM is throwing crazy high powered monsters against you and expects power gaming I can't think how this wouldn't be over powered when used as a blaster type caster. Even ignoring the one standard action casting time for any area spell via this method, you are dropping two of every area spell at the same time for no cost past the cost of the enchantment.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-21, 08:20 PM
True, though there would be games where that'd be basically par for the course. In a game where it was too strong, I'd be more like to solve it by having a word with the player, pointing out that interaction and ask that he not do it. I'm a big fan of the Gentleman's Agreement.

holywhippet
2014-08-21, 08:29 PM
True, though there would be games where that'd be basically par for the course. In a game where it was too strong, I'd be more like to solve it by having a word with the player, pointing out that interaction and ask that he not do it. I'm a big fan of the Gentleman's Agreement.

Yeah, true. It should also be noted that the splitting enchantment comes from a Forgotten Realms source book which means it might not be allowed in a non-FR game. On top of that, the spell needed to make the enchantment is on the ranger and assassin spell lists so it could be tricky to even get a bow with that enchantment.

bekeleven
2014-08-21, 09:54 PM
Yeah, true. It should also be noted that the splitting enchantment comes from a Forgotten Realms source book which means it might not be allowed in a non-FR game. On top of that, the spell needed to make the enchantment is on the ranger and assassin spell lists so it could be tricky to even get a bow with that enchantment.

Also you need precise shot to use it.