PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paragon path - avenger

Signir
2014-08-21, 07:26 AM
Is there any good paragon path for pursuing avenger (wood elf), that dont depends on critting?

We plan go through paragon to epic (30), and we are now at 19 level.

- I like f16 on "Favored soul" (Divine power) - but Iīm not spamming daggers from sky, I am using falchion to destroy things in melee. But honest fly is very cool... And there is no striker feature (feature at 11, that give you +1 to defences if you are at full hit points look good with U12). E11, U12, D20 looks good to me.

- "Ardent champion" (Divine power) - I donīt like it, because it depends on critting. E11 is good, D20 looks fine because of encounter power recovering, but U12 is not good, as he looks on the first view. Its not good, when You fight with solo.

- "Kensei" (PHB) - I have actualy this PP (thanks to multiclass feat to fighter), and its effective (+1 to hit/ +4 to dmg), but its quite boring, and powers are waste (I only use U12, which is daily and not good at all), because of my stats.

I read about another good options, but most of them depends on critting (Invoker PP).

What do you think?

Signir
2014-08-21, 07:31 AM
I mean any other option - other than morninglord. :smallwink:

Cloud
2014-08-21, 12:30 PM
...You sure you're not interested in Ardent Champion? I mean, you're an Avenger, you get to roll twice and pick the highest virtually every attack. I mean even without the Ardent Champion's feature an Avenger with a 19-20 crit range critical hits 19% of the time.

...Anyway, okay, moving on from that, I also like the favoured soul. Not for lawl spamming daggers or anything but just because honest flight is awesome when you're meant to be a pursing divine weapon of death. XD Kensai is as you said effective, and you don't care about the powers because they're meh anyway, but getting basically only +1 to hit and +4 damage is...yeah, not exactly exciting. If you don't like crit focused I'm not sure you'll like luck based anymore, but Avengers can use Fortune Blessed better than most and is pretty effective, though I have no idea which deity your Avenger follows.

I would suggest Zealous Assassin but you're using a Falchion, not a spear. ...Which don't get me wrong if you're using Valenar Weapon Training, Avenging Resolution, and a Carnage Weapon you're a man after my own heart, but that paragon path isn't so hot without Surprising Charge.

Sol
2014-08-21, 01:25 PM
So um, you're using a Falchion (which is high-crit), on an avenger, and don't like critting?

I get that with avenging resolution your maximized damage roll isn't much different from your non-maximized damage roll, but don't forget the additional 4d4 from high crit, before even taking the weapon's crit dice into account. Also, a free Overwhelming Strike at 16 when you crit is pretty massive.

Epinephrine
2014-08-21, 10:40 PM
Probably depends on what you want to achieve. For a defendery feel, Tactical Warpriest could work. Anything giving you extra attacks can work, but if you're isolating foes and playing off-defender, it could work as extra incentive to keep them next to you. Of couurse, they won't be keen to trigger extra attacks, so you'd better have solid defenses to make it worthwhile.

Signir
2014-08-22, 04:29 AM
Cloud: Which don't get me wrong if you're using Valenar Weapon Training, Avenging Resolution, and a Carnage Weapon

Yes, I have Valenar Weapon Training and Carnage falchion, but I have gautlets of brutality (reroll every 1 on damage roll) and I think, that I have better options for feat than Avenging Resolution.

Sol: So um, you're using a Falchion (which is high-crit), on an avenger, and don't like critting?

I use falchion for combo - Walenar weapon training, gauntlets of brutality and Carnage falchion, and because this is +3 proficiency. High-crit property was the last thing for me, when I decided about the way my character slay monsters down. ;)

Epinephrine: For a defendery feel, Tactical Warpriest could work.
This PP looks good, thank you.

After yours replies, I am between two options now - Ardent champion or Favored soul.

I think, that Favoured soul get better powers (E11 is better, because it doesnt nerf your defences and can be used on charge, daily 20 is multiattack. And U12 is better in Favoure soul too.).
But Ardent champion has striker features at 11 and 16. For oposite, Favoured soul has honest fly, and as Cloud write - "just because honest flight is awesome when you're meant to be a pursing divine weapon of death."

Hard decision...

Anyway, my Epic destiny will be Destined Scion.

Signir
2014-08-25, 01:18 AM
Thank you for replies.

I choose Favored soul. When I choose and fix it in CHB, I feel better about this choise.

Itīs good, little bit defensive, PP. Thats good, because monsters can feel bigger urge to leave my character and this can trigger his bonus to damage.
He has fly speed and He can pursuit his oath enemy everywhere. And He can fly down on his nenemy from the sky and put fear in to enemyīs heart, and that is cool. ;)
I like powers - especially E11 - it can daze, and when my character charge on first round same ranged monster, it can be devastating. Or if he charge melee monster (and He can charge at larg distance, because He is elf werewolf) and push melee enemy only 1 square - He can do nothing. Enemy canīt charge him back. Enenemy has only one action. Maybe he can charge on my team, but it triggers Avengers bonus to damage next turn, and my avenger have Relentless Stride power, and he smash him before second turn with bonus damage, and I have Painfull oath feat...
Utility 12 is very good.
And when he will be on 20 level, the daily is very good power for opening - And my elf is a wood elf, and he win initiative vere, very often. ;)

He is awesome. :) (I know, that he can be better striker, but now he is good strikder and very versatile striker.)