PDA

View Full Version : Summon Monster Restaurant

Missing Shoe
2007-03-07, 01:43 AM
What is stopping a Wizard from opening an restaurant where everything on the menu is made from summoned monsters? Say you cut off part of the animal, so that you dont kill it (cauterizing the wound or something), and cook and serve it. Then when the spell ends the monster would be disappear and so would the digested food, thus making the customer hungry again.

Is this viable and if so would you allow it as a DM? Its not game breaking, but at the same time it just doesnt seem right...

The_Werebear
2007-03-07, 01:49 AM
Expect torches and pitchforks from

A) Angry customers
B) Angrier priests, because you are summoning things from celestial/abyssal planes and abusing servants of their dieties.
C) Even angrier, one limbed celestials and infernal creatures.

It could be a good hook.

The_Snark
2007-03-07, 02:01 AM
The duration on a Summon Monster spell isn't all that long. You'd have to cook fast. And the customer would have to eat fast.

It's a bizarre, bizarre concept. And I'm pretty sure attacking your own summoned monsters turns them hostile. It should, at least.

Maxymiuk
2007-03-07, 02:02 AM
And thus was born a need for the brave men and women of all races to venture forth into the dark places of the world to fight all manner of beastial creature, so that they may be subdued and brought back into civilization, where the McMonster food chain would have them skinned, dismembered, deboned, dried, cut, fried in old oil, put in little cardboard boxes, and sold to the multitude.

And this is how adventurers came to be.

Vaynor
2007-03-07, 02:11 AM
Wouldn't Create Food and Water be easier?

Douglas
2007-03-07, 02:15 AM
While technically possible, this isn't really practical. Besides severely annoying the monsters used (any harm summoned monsters suffer is undone when they go away so it wouldn't be any more than that), the duration is just 1 round per caster level. With a level 20 wizard, you could summon a creature for two minutes. Applying extend spell would make it four minutes. Even if you have a custom researched spell to do the cooking instantaneously and you serve it within one round of summoning, the customer will have to eat very quickly to finish it before it vanishes.

cupkeyk
2007-03-07, 02:19 AM
Plus ashbound for four minutes of a total waste of effort.

That's the answer to why not: it's a waste of effort. T_T

What's stopping people from capturing a creature with regeneration and cutting off parts and eating it?

Would you like your Troll-y Pattie rare?

daggaz
2007-03-07, 02:24 AM
Mmmm troll! The taste so good, it grows in your mouth!

Skyserpent
2007-03-07, 02:27 AM

My mind reels.

cupkeyk
2007-03-07, 02:29 AM

Scarlett O'Hara, Troll Hunter: I shall never go hungry again

Bender
2007-03-07, 02:31 AM
The paladin in my party almost tried this on his mount. I was mild and asked a few times whether he was sure he wanted to do this. It was the first session with the paladin and I didn't feel like stripping him of his powers this early...
For a paladin it's obviously an evil act, but I think it's evil for any summoned creature

besides, I'm not sure whether severed body parts would disappear:

...a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this...
If you decide a severed body part becomes an object, it stays while the main bulk of the monster disappears.

cheers, and enjoy your meal :smallbiggrin:

Jack Mann
2007-03-07, 02:40 AM

Bah. Real men eat Tarrasque (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36303)!

Bender
2007-03-07, 04:43 AM
I just had a similar vision: an unconscious tarrasque in the middle of a big factory. The flesh constantly harvested to keep the nonlethal damage sufficiently high and feed the entire city. The hide could be used to make high quality, reflecting armour and roofing. The bones could be an excellent material for furniture or construction, the acid in the stomach could be drained. The claws and teeth could be made in keen weapons... An inventive population would probably find a way to use about every body part. Of course, everything would be immune to fire, so the city could easily resist fire attacks.

This could feed a very good economy, even having income from tourists, who can see the tarrasque, touch it, even have guided tours around it, on it, or even inside it, and selling souvenirs in little tourist shops.

The catch is that the entire economy could collapse with a single wish... but I guess wishes can do that for most cities.

Ethdred
2007-03-07, 06:21 AM
I just had a similar vision: an unconscious tarrasque in the middle of a big factory. The flesh constantly harvested to keep the nonlethal damage sufficiently high and feed the entire city. The hide could be used to make high quality, reflecting armour and roofing. The bones could be an excellent material for furniture or construction, the acid in the stomach could be drained. The claws and teeth could be made in keen weapons... An inventive population would probably find a way to use about every body part. Of course, everything would be immune to fire, so the city could easily resist fire attacks.

This could feed a very good economy, even having income from tourists, who can see the tarrasque, touch it, even have guided tours around it, on it, or even inside it, and selling souvenirs in little tourist shops.

The catch is that the entire economy could collapse with a single wish... but I guess wishes can do that for most cities.

What a fantastic idea!

Roderick_BR
2007-03-07, 06:30 AM
Plus ashbound for four minutes of a total waste of effort.

That's the answer to why not: it's a waste of effort. T_T

What's stopping people from capturing a creature with regeneration and cutting off parts and eating it?

In Nordic mythology, they had a boar that they cut pieces from everyday O_o

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-07, 06:49 AM
Not to mention Thor's two goats: Tanngrisnir & Tanngnjóstr.

its_all_ogre
2007-03-07, 07:01 AM

great idea.
of course an evil cleric with the heal spell ready would annoy the hell out of this city!

paigeoliver
2007-03-07, 07:10 AM
Just breeding meat animals is a lot cheaper than keeping high level wizards around to summon them. Although a horse restaurant that uses the mount spell, and chops off legs would work.

Although I don't think it would go over with the public very well. Not the bit about eating horses, since people used to eat up horses all the time before they domesticated them (and they eat them up in many parts of europe as well, with many meat horses being raised in the US for european consumption). It is the bit about chopping limbs off living creatures and eating them. That tends to be taboo even among fairly primitive cultures. The banning of the practice made the bible fairly early on in the old testament.

Rigeld2
2007-03-07, 07:12 AM
Cant do it with summoned creatures - if you kill a summoned creature (which you kinda have to do to serve it) it dissapears, leaving no corpse. Meaning nothing to serve.

Bender
2007-03-07, 07:15 AM
great idea.
of course an evil cleric with the heal spell ready would annoy the hell out of this city!

Of course, you have to make sure he's got a few nonlethal damage points in excess. There aren't that many evil clerics around that can heal 2000 hp in a few turns.

Cant do it with summoned creatures - if you kill a summoned creature (which you kinda have to do to serve it) it disappears, leaving no corpse. Meaning nothing to serve.
you don't have to kill it, just chop of a peace. I didn't find anything in the spell description about severed body parts, so you'd have to discuss it with the DM, (you might plead your case by comparing with change shape: severed body parts stay in the changed shape, while the rest of the body returns to the original shape)

martyboy74
2007-03-07, 07:50 AM
Ooh, Rich must be psychic! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-07, 07:50 AM
you don't have to kill it, just chop of a peace. I didn't find anything in the spell description about severed body parts, so you'd have to discuss it with the DM, (you might plead your case by comparing with change shape: severed body parts stay in the changed shape, while the rest of the body returns to the original shape)

Shapechange would be a really bad comparison.
It is a Transmutation spell that physically change the creature, as opposed to the summoning spell that temporarily bring the creature to you and explicitly mentions that the creature returns at the end of the spell.

Bender
2007-03-07, 08:10 AM
Shapechange would be a really bad comparison.

It's the best I could find with my very limited knowledge of the rules :smallredface:

It is a Transmutation spell that physically change the creature, as opposed to the summoning spell that temporarily bring the creature to you and explicitly mentions that the creature returns at the end of the spell.

I agree, and I probably wouldn't allow it in my game (yes, I'm a DM with very limited knowledge of the rules :smalleek:), but is there anything in the RAW about severed body parts? If there isn't, I don't think it's too far fetched to rule that severed body parts are no longer part of a creature and don't disappear, which would make the "summon monster restaurant" possible...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-07, 09:27 AM
It's the best I could find with my very limited knowledge of the rules :smallredface:

I agree, and I probably wouldn't allow it in my game (yes, I'm a DM with very limited knowledge of the rules :smalleek:),

Absolutely no need to apologize.

And I want to assure you that I did not mean any offense with my post.

but is there anything in the RAW about severed body parts? If there isn't, I don't think it's too far fetched to rule that severed body parts are no longer part of a creature and don't disappear, which would make the "summon monster restaurant" possible...

There is nothing directly saying that body parts return, but if it did not it would beg the question; How big a chunk can I chop off?

Furthermore, there are summoned creatures who come with items that most DMs would also like to have returned.

You could of course house rule that items disappear but chewy chunks stay.
But why? To make a restaurant?

Bender
2007-03-07, 09:45 AM
And I want to assure you that I did not mean any offense with my post.

none taken

You could of course house rule that items disappear but chewy chunks stay.
But why? To make a restaurant?

Well, that was the purpose of this thread I think :smalltongue:

just wondering, what would happen with poison or acid excreted by a summoned monster, or a disease (which usually consist of very small creatures, but I'm not sure how it works with magical diseases)...

edit: if you rule a PC to remain poisoned after the summoned creature disappears, you must allow him to harvest the poison of summoned creatures as well

Hyfigh
2007-03-07, 09:45 AM
Wall of Stone and Stone to Flesh :D

Missing Shoe
2007-03-07, 12:35 PM
I guess it was more of a question of does it work, not would you want to do it. Obviously you would make more money dungeon crawling.

On the same tolkien, what about creatures brought to you through a gate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gate.htm) spell? It says you can ask of it a service of longer duration, but what happens if it gets attacked during that process? Say you call that tarrasque and knock it out, how long does it stay? Until it completes its quest, which if you keep it restrained, it never will be able to, thus it stays forever? Using this method you can have new and rare menu items each week! Let's see Emerald keep up with that!

Although, the wizard's true business would be shapechanging (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm) and selling his balor swords (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#balor).

Meat Shield
2007-03-07, 12:44 PM
You can get anything you want,
at the Summon Monster Restaurant.

Gate right in, it's around the back,
Just a half a mile from the Balor track.

You can get anything you want,
at the Summon Monster Restaurant.
-apologies to Arlo Guthrie....

Ramza00
2007-03-07, 12:48 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

Tengu
2007-03-07, 12:52 PM
Why even use Summon Monster? A single Prestigidation turns a wizard or a sorcerer into a wonderful chef for 1 hour/level, who will be able to turn any, even the simplest of foods, into mouth-watering dishes!

Telonius
2007-03-07, 02:04 PM
What is stopping a Wizard from opening an restaurant where everything on the menu is made from summoned monsters? Say you cut off part of the animal, so that you dont kill it (cauterizing the wound or something), and cook and serve it. Then when the spell ends the monster would be disappear and so would the digested food, thus making the customer hungry again.

Is this viable and if so would you allow it as a DM? Its not game breaking, but at the same time it just doesnt seem right...

The latest diet craze to hit Eberron ...

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-07, 04:43 PM
This is the reason why every NPC shopkeep needs Detect Magic as a spell-like ability. Took keep PCs from casting Mount and then selling it.

Thes Hunter
2007-03-07, 05:28 PM
Wow, this is a great idea! Who needs a vomitorium anymore, when the food just disappears!

You could eat, and eat, and eat and eat, and never be full! What an absolutely delightful notion for a banquet.

However, 1) I do see it as pretty mechanically unfeasible.

However, it being evil, I am not so sure on.

Hamster_Ninja
2007-03-07, 09:23 PM
Why is it any more evil than just killing the summoned monster? They still go back to the whatever plane and go on living their lives, maybe get some vengeance, pick up the groceries, watch whatever Full House reruns they missed, same as always.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-07, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a non-wotc supplement that has something called a "troll bite," which is basically a tiny piece of troll that you eat, and then it regenerates at exactly the rate you digest it - no need for rations. Of course if you eat anything ELSE, the regeneration gains the upper hand and a troll starts growing for real. Death!

Talanic
2007-03-08, 12:20 AM
Better ways to do it:

Sculpt stone. Make a statue of x creature (let's just say Slaad, just to pick one at random). Stone to flesh. The spell explicitly states that it creates a corpse when cast on a non-formerly-alive statue. Dig in.

Baleful Polymorph/Polymorph Any Object or other polymorph spells would be possible too. Frog to Slaad, bird to angel, bat to balor, etc.

Talya
2007-03-08, 12:58 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a non-wotc supplement that has something called a "troll bite," which is basically a tiny piece of troll that you eat, and then it regenerates at exactly the rate you digest it - no need for rations. Of course if you eat anything ELSE, the regeneration gains the upper hand and a troll starts growing for real. Death!

That wouldn't work. Trolls don't regenerate acid damage...which is what's happening as you digest it.

Turcano
2007-03-08, 01:42 AM
Ooh, Rich must be psychic! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)

Not only that, he's a future psychic.

paigeoliver
2007-03-08, 01:54 AM
Would demons really be want people would want to eat though?

The stone to flesh would work well if you could make a mold of the creature type you want to make, that way you can pour your rocks in mortar in the mold, cast the spell and out pops the creature you want, with no sculpting.

Better ways to do it:

Sculpt stone. Make a statue of x creature (let's just say Slaad, just to pick one at random). Stone to flesh. The spell explicitly states that it creates a corpse when cast on a non-formerly-alive statue. Dig in.

Baleful Polymorph/Polymorph Any Object or other polymorph spells would be possible too. Frog to Slaad, bird to angel, bat to balor, etc.

Tobrian
2007-03-08, 02:47 AM
Better ways to do it:

Ew. That's.... bizarre. But using Stone to Flesh to feed the starving is an interesting idea, if you're a wizard and have no access to divine Create Food and Water spells.

But wouldn't your above scenario simply create a great uniform mass of flesh in the outer form of Creature X? I have a problem with believing that Stone to Flesh can create a fully functional body, or a flesh golem, with working musculatur, bones, organs, just because it's shaped like Creature X. And it certainly wouldn't have the supernatural powers, i.e. regeneration, of creature X.

Otherwise what would stop a caster from doing the above and then casting Raise Dead on that flesh sculpture??? Does it suddenly gain a soul from somewhere? (I'm sure some devil or demon or ghost would always be happy to use this opportunity to slip unseen into the material plane.) I foresee a very sick retelling of the Pygmalion story, D&D-style. :smalleek:

Talanic
2007-03-08, 03:10 AM
Well, stone to flesh does create a living person when cast on a former-person-turned-statue. Also, Stone to Flesh (in SRD) explicitly states that it turns a stone golem into a flesh golem (but the stone golem listing contradicts this). I don't think that the created creature would have any really special properties (e.g. no creating a statue dragon and harvesting dragon scales, no regenerating troll corpses) but it might taste the same (why not?...and if nobody knows what Slaad REALLY tastes like, who's going to argue?)

I suppose that raise dead would fail, since there was no soul in that body to begin with...That, or someone who is long dead but looks like that corpse is suddenly resurrected.

But anyway, stone to flesh explicitly creates a corpse when cast on a statue. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneToFlesh.htm

Another nifty use of Stone to Flesh: have a statue made of someone (perhaps yourself). Stone to flesh on it and you have instant proof of their death, throwing their enemies off their trail (or letting you collect on bounties...)

Thoughtbot360
2007-03-08, 03:22 AM
And thus was born a need for the brave men and women of all races to venture forth into the dark places of the world to fight all manner of beastial creature, so that they may be subdued and brought back into civilization, where the McMonster food chain would have them skinned, dismembered, deboned, dried, cut, fried in old oil, put in little cardboard boxes, and sold to the multitude.

And this is how adventurers came to be.

Excuse me while I roll on the floor laughing.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL!

But seriously, where do all those adventurer's find business?:smallconfused: