PDA

View Full Version : World of DnD

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-07, 01:44 AM
Not DDO - World of DnD, as in, it's like PbP normally, but there's communication between the DMs such that the world is morphic compared to what the players do. The DMs would agree to this ahead of time, of course, and on the rules.

Remember, it's 1:00 a.m. when I'm posting this so lots of things sound like a good idea, but it would be kinda cool to head to a new area and hear of the heroes there, and meet a group of PC's later on, who are responsible. The reverse also applies - it would be pretty nasty to find that Xxlis the Lich was destroyed 3 days earlier.

Is that even feasable? Or am I just delerious?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-07, 01:52 AM
You want the RPGA for this. Living campaign settings that grow and change according to player actions in "official" RPGA games - events held at conventions, mostly. There are RPGA versions of Greyhawk (Living Greyhawk) and Eberron (Mark of Heroes).

At least, that's how I think it's supposed to work. Never played an RPGA game, and I don't hold a membership.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/hq/newcomers

BlueWizard
2007-03-07, 08:07 AM
Be tough to work it on this site... I think.

headwarpage
2007-03-07, 10:06 AM
Be tough to work it on this site... I think.

I think it could be done, but there's just a huge risk of one or more of the games dying. But if you could get say, 3-4 DMs who were really committed to it, it would probably be a lot of fun.

Ok, now I want to get some people together and do this. Let's see... we'll need:

3-4 (or more) DMs, willing to put in a lot of time and work together on things (But on the plus side, they're available as resources for each other.)
1 World (Homebrewed? Cooperatively homebrewed? Published setting?)
Several campaign arcs, semi-connected, but capable of standing alone
15-20 (or more) Players, who will have to refrain from metagaming, since a large amount of useful information may be available in the other groups' threads.

I think it would be fun to try. The key is that the separate parties can't be plot-critical to each other, at least not for extended periods. That way, if one of the games dies, the world goes on. Otherwise, a lot of people invest a lot of time into getting this off the ground, and it all collapses.

BCOVertigo
2007-03-07, 10:42 AM
I had the idea awhile ago to DM for two groups in the same setting and time period, with the goal of having them meet eventually.

Of course I was going to twist one so they were forced to befriend slave traders or something and then make the other group start out as slaves under cruel masters so it wouldn't be a happy meeting....

I do like the idea of a world that can be shaped by player actions, even if they don't know that another person is changing it until it's too late.

Meat Shield
2007-03-07, 10:44 AM
If you are looking for a homebrew world to try it out on, we already have one here at the GitP boards: Tears of Blood (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)

Revolution, intrigue, creepy Gnomes, and a terrible Plague that has swept the world and left nothing untouched!

Ishkahl
2007-03-07, 10:51 AM
There is a gaming shop that does that here in Atlanta. Basically there is one DM (I believe) who runs games almost every day of the week, and he sets up groups to come on different days. Sounds like a lot of work for that one DM, but a lot of fun.

headwarpage
2007-03-07, 10:52 AM
That might not be a bad idea, although I haven't been reading those boards and would need to do a lot of catching up to run anything in that setting.

I've also been kicking around a homebrew world of my own, which I would be happy to volunteer for service. There's still a lot of work to be done on it, though.