PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Ninja archetype 1st draft.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-21, 12:41 PM
I've been thinking of some sweet custom characters that I would ask my DM to play in my upcoming session. Not that PHB doesnt have things I'd like to play without having to tinker, but if you're gonna be playing a fictional character it may as well be exactly how you want it to be right?

also dont just this as if it were actually in the book and avialable for dips and things since the lvl 3 dip would be broken as ****, I intend to play 20 rogue, but use this as my special path. do you think it's balanced ok?

Lvl 3:
Ki power - you may draw upon the power of Ki to make specialized attacks
Stunning strike
Step of wind
Ki speed - You may spend a ki point to increase your speed by 15ft for 30 seconds.

lvl 3:
Ninjutsu: You may expend Ki to cast any of the following spells
Fog Cloud - 1
Darkness - 1
Minor Illusion - 1
Silence -1
Mirror Image - 2
Blink - 2

9th
Shadow Presence- when you are in dim or darker light you may teleport up to 60 feet from one shadow to the next. and while in shadows you get partial concealment vs. attacks

Yomi Sense- Blindsense extends to see incorporeal/ethereal people and objects, and your Ki attacks can hit ethereal and incorporeal enemies, you are also resistant to scrying. scrying attemps against you must roll at disadvantage
Ghost walk - For two uses of Ki you may enter the ethereal plane as if you had cast the ethereal Jaunt spell.

Poisons Master- You may add your INT modifier to the dmg of poison and half that to their DC. Poison damage increases by 50% (or doubled) on a crit

Your Ki table would be
3-3
4-3
5-4
6-4
7-4
8-5
9-5
10-6
11-6
12-7
13-7
14-8
15-8
16-9
17-9
18-10
19-10
20-11

EvilAnagram
2014-08-21, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry, but don't both the Way of Shadow monk and the Assassin rogue fit the ninja concept pretty damn well?

Yagyujubei
2014-08-21, 01:19 PM
I think a ninja acrhcetype fits better in rogue due to all the evasion stuff they get, but assassin doesn't quite get the feel of a ninja, so I wanted to give them ki with limited spell casting, limited ki attacks, and something to do with poison since it seems sorely lacking in PHB

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-21, 01:23 PM
I think a ninja acrhcetype fits better in rogue due to all the evasion stuff they get, but assassin doesn't quite get the feel of a ninja, so I wanted to give them ki with limited spell casting, limited ki attacks, and something to do with poison since it seems sorely lacking in PHB

What evasion stuff does the rogue get that the monk does not get? The monk has all this Ki stuff out of the box, has the Evasion class feature, has various other "evasion"-ish class features, and the class runs largely off of Dex. Poison isn't a class feature, but you can get proficiency with poisons from a background if that's what you want.

If you wanted this specifically to be an assassin ninja, then you could multiclass WotS monk and assassin

Yagyujubei
2014-08-21, 01:47 PM
i already tried that and I dont really like what I came up with tbh.

and yeah poison isn't a class feature really which is why I wanted to build it in, Ninja should to be the master of poisons after all.

look, its basically a different side to the coin, you can go Monk/Rogue and go WotS/Asn and get lower dps and higher survivability (which doesnt really make sense) or you could make a rogue classe the forgoes the extra things like diamond body and extra attacks so that you can keep full sneak attack progression and still get that ninja feel.