PDA

View Full Version : Spell History for thought...

Fwiffo86
2014-08-21, 02:16 PM
Does anyone remember when Cure wounds was a necromancy spell instead of a conjuration spell? If so, can someone come up with a feasible reason why its conjuration now instead of the life-force manipulating necromancy it should be?

For reference, here is an article on the history of Cure Wounds
http://blog.binkystick.com/2010/11/19/spells-through-the-ages-cure-light-wounds/

---EDIT for more content---

Cure light wounds removes paralysis.... I totally forgot about that version!!

hawklost
2014-08-21, 02:23 PM
One Reason, from what I see, would be because WoTC started deciding that Necromancy was a bad thing and making it seem more evil, Healing is good so therefore it cannot be Necromancy.

A Different reason might be because they shifted from the perception of HP being actual meat to HP being something else. Conjuration is just summoning up something (like the energy) that the healing spell gives to a person.

Both those are purely speculative though.

MeeposFire
2014-08-21, 02:26 PM
One Reason, from what I see, would be because WoTC started deciding that Necromancy was a bad thing and making it seem more evil, Healing is good so therefore it cannot be Necromancy.

A Different reason might be because they shifted from the perception of HP being actual meat to HP being something else. Conjuration is just summoning up something (like the energy) that the healing spell gives to a person.

Both those are purely speculative though.

I don't think it was the meat reason. AD&D and before was more heavily influenced by Gygax than later editions and he was adamant that HP was more than just meat.

RustyArmor
2014-08-21, 02:34 PM
Because more and more, players saw "necromancy" and automatically made mega evil deranged nutcases that wanted to make massive undead armies to over throw the world. So 3rd (maybe 4th I don't know) made necromancy about negative energy aspect, which even in itself is not evil but still didn't stop most players from making the default cliche necromancer.

obryn
2014-08-21, 02:45 PM
I don't think it made sense as necromancy, and don't think it makes sense as conjuration. If anything it's transmutation, which fits in with the 5e Transmuter's features.

Arzanyos
2014-08-21, 02:49 PM
Wait, isn't cure wounds evocation now?

AuraTwilight
2014-08-21, 02:59 PM
Personally, I liked healing spells as evocation, since it's basically manipulating energies called up from elsewhere.

And Evocation needs stuff besides explode-y flame-y blasts anyway.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-21, 03:00 PM
Wait, isn't cure wounds evocation now?

I thought it had moved into abjuration...

hawklost
2014-08-21, 03:06 PM
Funny, looking through Basic

Healing Word, Mass Healing Word, and Cure Wounds are all Evocation spells

Mass Cure Wounds though is a Conjuration spell

Inevitability
2014-08-21, 03:15 PM
Another: Raise Dead is Necromancy, Revivify is Conjuration.

Fwiffo86
2014-08-21, 03:16 PM
I'm inclined to stick with life manipulation = Necromancy.

Certainly related to transmutation (moving flesh back together)
and Evocation (manipulating energy -stamina-)

But it still screams life force manipulation to me.

pwykersotz
2014-08-21, 04:34 PM
I like it best as Necromancy, I agree. Control over the amount of positive and negative energy in a being and the ability to direct their soul is a nice little niche that I feel the school would do well to keep.

Conjuration I understand, even if I don't like it much. You're basically summoning energy from the Plane of Positive Energy...just don't get cut off from the plane.

Evocation makes a lot of sense to me, I'd say it takes second place to Necromancy. Raw magical power attuned to the force of positive energy, then given form. I think it works.

What I don't like is multiple schools for the same thing. My games will treat Mass Cure as Evocation.

hawklost
2014-08-21, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't that mean that all Clerics practice Necromancy? (Ok, all that heal, but they all seem to use heal at least once in their careers)

Fwiffo86
2014-08-21, 04:37 PM
Wouldn't that mean that all Clerics practice Necromancy? (Ok, all that heal, but they all seem to use heal at least once in their careers)

Yes. Which lends credence to my argument in the other thread about animating the dead. Largely because necromancy itself has no alignment.

hawklost
2014-08-21, 04:40 PM
Yes. Which lends credence to my argument in the other thread about animating the dead. Largely because necromancy itself has no alignment.

Ummm, Necromancy is not the same thing as bringing about Undead. Not even close. Animate Dead Uses Necromancy, Necromancers might never cast a Animate Dead (or any undead related spell) in their life.

Fwiffo86
2014-08-21, 04:41 PM
Ummm, Necromancy is not the same thing as bringing about Undead. Not even close. Animate Dead Uses Necromancy, Necromancers might never cast a Animate Dead (or any undead related spell) in their life.

Valid argument. But I think we are in the wrong thread. LOL