PDA

View Full Version : Monsters and aging

Max Caysey
2014-08-21, 05:42 PM
Another question...

Does monsters, specifically Treants, have age categories like humanoids, and if so, what is it?

Thanks

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-21, 05:48 PM
For most monsters, aging isn't directly mentioned. However, for pretty much all of the monsters that do have aging guidelines, monsters of some sort or another with more monster hit dice than usual represent older specimens. When statistics for younger versions of a monster are given, they often have half the HD of an adult, and their special powers are less potent (e.g. lower save DCs, fewer spell-like abilities). Dragons are a good example; as they age, they increase in Hit Dice and size, and they also gain more and more of their magical abilities.

backwaterj
2014-08-21, 08:52 PM
For a lot of monsters, this can be tricky to adjudicate. For the specific example given, I'd duplicate our nearest real-world analog: trees. So something in the centuries if not a millennium or more is reasonable. I'd start with the elf ages and maybe bump them up a bit for a starting point.

Also, point of consideration which to my knowledge has no official answer: do non-humanoids accumulate age bonuses and penalties the same way humanoids do? We're given at least one example (true dragons) where bonuses but not penalties apply; I'd imagine something like a treant might not weaken physically with age (in fact, they might tend to get larger and more powerful).

Food for thought.

Jack_Simth
2014-08-21, 09:03 PM
Another question...

Does monsters, specifically Treants, have age categories like humanoids, and if so, what is it?

Thanks

With the vast majority of monsters, there are no specified ageing tables. This does not necessarily mean that they don't age, just that it is one of the (very many) things the designers apparently didn't believe were worth the resources to cover - so they left a hole in the rules. Given that player characters seldom live long enough for ageing to actually matter, and non-player characters usually aren't on scene long enough for it to matter, I can't exactly say that they were wrong.

If you're the DM, and it matters in your game: make something up (and stick with it). That's part of what a DM is there for: To fill in the holes in the rules as becomes necessary.
If you're not the DM, and it matters in your game: Ask the DM. That's part of what a DM is there for: To fill in the holes in the rules as becomes necessary.

Divide by Zero
2014-08-21, 09:57 PM
For a lot of monsters, this can be tricky to adjudicate. For the specific example given, I'd duplicate our nearest real-world analog: trees. So something in the centuries if not a millennium or more is reasonable. I'd start with the elf ages and maybe bump them up a bit for a starting point.

Also, point of consideration which to my knowledge has no official answer: do non-humanoids accumulate age bonuses and penalties the same way humanoids do? We're given at least one example (true dragons) where bonuses but not penalties apply; I'd imagine something like a treant might not weaken physically with age (in fact, they might tend to get larger and more powerful).

Food for thought.

I don't see anything in the aging section that says it applies to humanoids only. Dragons are a specific exception to the rule, so there's no reason it wouldn't apply to other monsters. Of course, the DM is free to rule otherwise in particular cases.

Max Caysey
2014-08-22, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the answers. I think I will try to come op with something based on the elven age categories. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2014-08-22, 09:08 AM
I would give treants MUCH longer age categories than elves, and possibly no maximum age at all, but that's just me.

Max Caysey
2014-08-22, 10:03 AM
I would give treants MUCH longer age categories than elves, and possibly no maximum age at all, but that's just me.

Indeed... Thats a good point. I think I will double the age categories from sunelves. With no limit. Futher they will reseive no penalties.