PDA

View Full Version : Battle Master (Fix)

HorridElemental
2014-08-21, 10:08 PM
Update!

Finally got around to updating this.

I'm adding in an ability for all Fighters as a capstone. Also I'll add in a Champion Fighter fix eventually.

So I was a bit bored and wanted to focus my energy on something productive. Here is my fix for the Battle Master that I will be running a PC soon (level 7 or level 9 game). I used some of the same language to make things more streamlined but changed the mechanics.

This is not finished but most of it should give y'all the gist of what I'm getting at.

Warning: This is not balanced with any other class as of yet. Eventually I would like to get it to be a top choice (every class should be a top choice). I'll be adding more maneuver choices eventually, I just wanted to get the basic ones out of the way. Oh, superiority dice have been thrown away, this Fighter is pretty darn simple for the most part, well until you hit later but even then you can easily keep things simple by ignoring Improved Combat Superiority.

Student of War: At 3rd level you gain one of the following feats: Skilled or Tough.

Know Your Enemy: As standard ability but may be used as an action at 7th level and a bonus action at 15th level.

Improved Combat Superiority: At level 10 any weapon damage dice are increased by one step. At level 18 this increases by one step again.

Relentless: Starting at 15th level, as a purely mental bonus action, you may negate one ongoing effect from the following list that is effecting you.

Charmed, Frightened, Paralyzed, and Stunned.

(These are effects that a classic hero would "break through" to save allies or themselves at the last minute. This is a pretty hefty list, but at level 15 you should get something really nice).

Lord of War: "I think you mean Warlord". " No, I like my way better". When the Battle Master Fighter uses their second with their Telegraphing Limit is reset for that battle.

Maneuvers: At 3rd level you learn three maneuvers of your choice, which are detailed below.

You may use your maneuvers anytime you want, however during battle if you spam your abilities then your enemies will get wise to your tactics. The BM Fighter table shows how many maneuvers can be used before the BM Fighter starts to telegraph their abilities. When they start telegraphing their maneuvers then the targets gain advantage on their saving throws. When you use a maneuver you can use it for as many attacks in that round as you have and may target multiple creatures if you have enough attacks. For example if you have 3 attacks and want to use disarming strike as you run past a few enemies you may use disarming attack on three of them that you attack. You may use a combination of maneuvers in a turn but only one maneuver per attack. You could use disarming attack, rally, and then whirlwind attack if you have three attacks (however they each count against your telegraph limit). If you use trip, disarm, trip then that counts as two maneuvers used in the turn.

You have access to all maneuvers but your training regiment is based on your BM Fighter level. The higher your Fighter level the more maneuvers you can practice and have ready to use in battle. You may use any maneuver you have not practiced but using it gives you disadvantage on your attack roll, the effect save is as normal unless there is no attack roll on your part and then they gaom advantage on their save. Using unpracticed maneuver counts against your telegraphing limit.

Saving Throws: Some of your maneuvers require your target to make a saving throw to resist the maneuver’s effects. The saving throw DC is as follows:

Maneuver Save DC = 8 + 2 * Proficiency Bonus

Some maneuvers do not effect targets of your attacks, however they go against your telegraphing limit.

Commander’s Strike: When you attack a target an ally adjacent to the target may use their reaction to attack the target. The damage they deal does not add their ability modifier.

Disarming Attack: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack they drop any weapon or item they are holding. A successful Strength or Dexterity save negates this effect.

Distracting Strike: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, the next attack against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn. A successful Intelligence or Wisdom save negates this effect.

Evasive Footwork: When you move, you distract a number of creatures equal to the number attacks you can make per round. When you do so they do not get to use a reaction due to your movement. A successful Dexterity or Wisdom save negates this effect.

Feinting Attack: Right before you attack with a weapon you attempt to fake your target out. You gain advantge on your attack unless the target passes a Intelligence or Wisdom save.

Goading Attack: When you hit with a weapon attack you know just how to do it to really make the enemy mad. The target takes disadvantage on any attack or maneuver unless it targets solely you. A Wisdom or Charisma save negates this effect.

Lunging Attack: When you attack with a melee weapon you may increase the reach of the weapon by 5ft.

Maneuvering Attack: Whenever you hit a creature with a weapon attack they are pushed 5' and if you are using a melee weapon you may move 5' to where they were standing (or 5' closer) due to your momentum. This movement is not counted against your move speed. A successful Strength or Dexterity save negates this push.

You can use this with a bow, however you don't get the free movement due to your momentum.

Menacing Attack: When you strike an enemy they are overcome with fear. They are frightened of you till the end of their next turn unless they pass a Wisdom or Charisma save.

Parry: When you are attacked by a weapon or spell you can parry or deflect the attack. When attacked by a weapon or spell with an attack roll your enemy gains disadvantage unless they pass a Strength or Intelligence save. When attacked by a spell or manuever that offers a save or contest you gain advantage on the save or contest unless the target passes a Dexterity or Charisma save.

Special: Due to the complexity of this maneuver it can not be used without practice.

(Parry is under review and subject to change)

Precision Attack: You know exactly where to target a creature to really give it to them good. Upon abfailed Strength or Dexterity save the target takes additional damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Rally: When you strike a for within 60' of an ally you may rally that ally. That ally gains 1d6 + Cha Mod temp HP.

Riposte: When you are attacked with a weapon you may attack the target with tour weapon. The target gains a Constitution or Dexterity save or takes damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Special: you may allow this to use your reaction. If you do so then it doesn't affect your telegraphing limit unless it is untrained. You do not gain any extra reactions due to this maneuver.

Whirlwind Attack: When you attack a creature with a melee weapon, you bring your weapon around in a wide swing. Each other creature adjacent to you must make a Dexterity or Constitution save or take damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Ricochet Attack: When you shoot or throw a weapon you may ricochet the ammunition or weapon a number of times equal to your Strength or Dexterity modifier (whichever was used for the attack roll). These ricochets can change if a target has a type of cover from your attack(s).

Trip Attack: When you attack a target with a weapon you shove them to the ground. A successful Strength or Dexterity save negates the trip.

Telegraphing Limit: This is the number of maneuvers you can use during a battle without letting your enemies read your movements. After this limit you start to tire, have a tell, or the enemies have wised up to your fighting style.

Level
Prof.
Bonus
Special
Practiced
Maneuvers
Telegraphing
Limit

+2
Fighting Style, Second Wind

+2
Action Surge (one use)

+2
Martial Archetype (Battle Master)

+2
Ability Score Improvement

+3
Extra Attack

+3

+3
Martial Archetype Feature (Battle Master)

+3

+4
Indomitable (one use)

+4

+4
Extra Attack (2)

+4

+5
Indomitable (two uses)

+5

+5

+5

+6
Action Surge (two uses), Indomitable (three uses)

+6

+6

+6
Extra Attack (3), Lord of War

Muenster Man
2014-08-21, 10:16 PM
Why the class level restriction on Student of War? Abilities that get taken away because the character added a class level in something else was one of the most awkward features of 3.x

HorridElemental
2014-08-21, 10:20 PM
Why the class level restriction on Student of War? Abilities that get taken away because the character added a class level in something else was one of the most awkward features of 3.x

Prevents more Fighter dipping. Essentially if you have more levels of another class than Fighter then you lose focus on your training and lose the feat. A bonus feat is already pretty powerful, don't need everyone going Human Fighter 3 to get two bonus feats before anyone else (non-human) gets 1.

Edit:

Also they are bringing back ability score damage, I'm going to have to put that in with condition immunity.

Muenster Man
2014-08-21, 10:31 PM
Well, someone planning to go full Human Battlemaster is still going to get 2 feats before anyone else will get 1 (and they can keep it for at least 3 more levels after), but I see your point, even if I don't really agree with it.

The maneuvers look great, however. I like that a lot of them scale with level. When thinking of how to improve the class, I thought they needed higher tiers of maneuvers to choose from as they leveled, but your solution is simpler and probably better.

Haven't looked through all of them yet, but I noticed Parry averages less damage blocked than it did before. But the only limited resource it's really drawing from is the character's reaction (since superiority dice have been cut), so it's probably still the better option.

HorridElemental
2014-08-21, 10:41 PM
Well, someone planning to go full Human Battlemaster is still going to get 2 feats before anyone else will get 1 (and they can keep it for at least 3 more levels after), but I see your point, even if I don't really agree with it.

The maneuvers look great, however. I like that a lot of them scale with level. When thinking of how to improve the class, I thought they needed higher tiers of maneuvers to choose from as they leveled, but your solution is simpler and probably better.

Haven't looked through all of them yet, but I noticed Parry averages less damage blocked than it did before. But the only limited resource it's really drawing from is the character's reaction (since superiority dice have been cut), so it's probably still the better option.

Thanks! One of my goals was to keep things able to be simple if a player wants it to be simple. Technically a player could ignore any parts of this class (like higher level maneuver scaling) and still have some cool things to do (Ricochet Shot for example) .

I figured I would balance the free feat by making the feat choice very limited, but I wanted to pull some inspiration from the 3.5 Fighter and not just the ToB/4e Fighter. I actually might get rid of Resilient since it is a pretty damn good feat (feat tax to some).

Parry will have additional stuff added on pretty soon.*

*Edit: Parry now works on magical attacks (such as FireBall or Finger of Death), it won't be much but you could parry 14 17 damage per round. But hey, if casters can get away from non-caster damage other than AC (blade ward/other spells) then non-casters should have a way to get away from magical damage.

*Edit: I'm leaving the bonus feats at Skilled or Tough and taking away the 3.X mechanic of losing things. These two feats are nice for a Fighter to pick up but not something someone would take three levels for. Resilient for free + Fighter features would encourage to much dipping. Thanks! I really like it better this way.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-22, 09:06 AM
I like a lot of what you did with maneuvers, but having no real limit on them whatsoever is ridiculously OP, as are the class features.

Honestly, if you double the number of superiority dice available to you and include most of your additions to the maneuvers, you have an excellent, reasonably balanced character.

HorridElemental
2014-08-22, 09:45 AM
I like a lot of what you did with maneuvers, but having no real limit on them whatsoever is ridiculously OP, as are the class features.

Honestly, if you double the number of superiority dice available to you and include most of your additions to the maneuvers, you have an excellent, reasonably balanced character.

Dice are to troublesome. I want something simple so using Proficiency Bonus makes much more sense. We can have a powerful and simple fighter all at the same time (Hint Hint WotC!). Each round you are limited by your number of reactions and bonus actions. I don't want to balance this with other non-casters, I want to balance this with caster classes.

Each of these maneuvers are about as strong as an attack Cantrip or maybe a first level spell.

Magic users, between Cantrips, slots, and buying scrolls will have unlimited spells per day so I figure why should the battle master be limited when magic isn't really as limited as it seems (unless you have a super strict DM of course).

You say OP, I say leveling the playing field. :)

A 10th level Battle master could use "Disarming Commanding Strike", which when the fighter disarms a creature and thus distracting them enough for the fighter's friend to be able to shank the creature. The ability to use more maneuvers when you normally can use one allows a player to make their own high level maneuver.

Is this Battle Master powerful and more versitile? Yes (though it needs more versatility). Is it as powerful/versitile/broken as Shapechange, True Polymorph, Teleport, or Demiplane? Not really.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-22, 10:01 AM
I would say that essentially having four actions in a turn is pretty broken, yes.

And while you seem upset that wizards can do magic while mundanes can't, I don't think completely overpowering one martial class is a good solution.

EDIT: I should specify that, unlike having multiple attacks to account for higher damage output late-game, being able to attack twice, then use your choice of three exceptionally powerful abilities is super broken.

HorridElemental
2014-08-22, 10:29 AM
I would say that essentially having four actions in a turn is pretty broken, yes.

And while you seem upset that wizards can do magic while mundanes can't, I don't think completely overpowering one martial class is a good solution.

EDIT: I should specify that, unlike having multiple attacks to account for higher damage output late-game, being able to attack twice, then use your choice of three exceptionally powerful abilities is super broken.

These are not exceptionally powerful. Have you not see the powerful classes in this game?

Also, other subclasses will follow the Battle Master but for now I'm working on this. I don't want non-casters to become casters, just because a Non-Caster can get options doesn't mean it has to be magic. There can be options outside of magic. Magic doesn't own the patent on options.

The most damage that the fighter personally can deal with three maneuvers is +6 once per round because maneuvers may only be used 1/turn and proficiency bonus to attack's damage doesn't stack. The battle master themselves won't be dishing out all that much more damage than normal even with Whirlwind and Ricochet. (I do need to go through and explain turn and round better, a specific maneuver may be used 1 per round, technically turn does mean something different if mike Mearles is to be trusted).

Commander's strike is a bit nicer if you have the right party members. But at this point you are spreading the love around and the friend still has to hit, has a 5% chance to straight up miss, and has to deal with multiple conditions and such. I may add in the clause for this maneuver that it takes the place of one of your attacks similar to how the beast master ranger works.

Last night I was thinking that maybe limiting it to 2 maneuvers per bonus action and 2 maneuvers per reaction, then split up when you get this ability and let the player decide if they want one or the other first.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-22, 11:04 AM
But why should Battle Masters get two or three actions with their single bonus action, especially when their actions don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. I liked 4e, too, but giving all the martial characters an insane amount of abilities isn't a good way to solve things. They're fighters and have fighter damage output, so let them complement that with a decent amount of reasonable abilities.

The dice pool makes perfect sense to me, even if it's less reliable than a static bonus. The problem with the Battle Master isn't that he has to use dice or that he can't use four maneuvers a round, but it's that he's limited to 4-6 maneuvers per short rest and his maneuvers are lame. The simplest fix to that isn't to throw out the basic mechanic, add more skills, give him constant damage increases, and ignore any limits for what he can do. The simple fix is to give him more opportunities to perform maneuvers, and make those maneuvers worthwhile.

HorridElemental
2014-08-22, 11:24 AM
But why should Battle Masters get two or three actions with their single bonus action, especially when their actions don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. I liked 4e, too, but giving all the martial characters an insane amount of abilities isn't a good way to solve things. They're fighters and have fighter damage output, so let them complement that with a decent amount of reasonable abilities.

The dice pool makes perfect sense to me, even if it's less reliable than a static bonus. The problem with the Battle Master isn't that he has to use dice or that he can't use four maneuvers a round, but it's that he's limited to 4-6 maneuvers per short rest and his maneuvers are lame. The simplest fix to that isn't to throw out the basic mechanic, add more skills, give him constant damage increases, and ignore any limits for what he can do. The simple fix is to give him more opportunities to perform maneuvers, and make those maneuvers worthwhile.

Because people can blend styles and make their own abilities. Even in the real world where it isn't an elfgame you have this happen. Look at what they call Brazilian Style Juijitsu or any other mixed martial art.

The dice are not needed and they are a tool that is just troublesome. It isn't about wanting static versus dynamic results but about using an easier system when the easier system gets the job done.

Using proficiency bonus tied to action, bonus action, and reaction is just plain simpler than using dice. I don't think the Battle Master should be limited to short rests (which are an hour), I've seen to many competitions where people are exerting themselves for 5+ minutes at a time and only get at most 10 minutes of rest before they have to go again. Short rest to reclaim magic is a balancing factor that can make sense but it is a balancing factor that non-casters shouldn't be tied to just because casters are tied to dailies. Non-casters should get cool things to do even if magic is more or less powerful than they are and waiting around an hour is just plain "Meh" for a Non-Caster. Wait around and get back abilities that bend or break physics? Sure, but abilities that don't bend or break physics or the imagination is just a punishment for the sake of punishment.

Random Note: I like how powerful casters are and I don't really want to drop their power down. CoDzilla was fun as hell in 3.5.

The base fighter chassis also needs work but I'll deal with that another time.

pwykersotz
2014-08-22, 11:28 AM
I'd love to see more maneuvers that inflict status conditions such as Paralysis.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-22, 11:46 AM
The dice are not needed and they are a tool that is just troublesome. It isn't about wanting static versus dynamic results but about using an easier system when the easier system gets the job done.

Using proficiency bonus tied to action, bonus action, and reaction is just plain simpler than using dice. I don't think the Battle Master should be limited to short rests (which are an hour), I've seen to many competitions where people are exerting themselves for 5+ minutes at a time and only get at most 10 minutes of rest before they have to go again. Short rest to reclaim magic is a balancing factor that can make sense but it is a balancing factor that non-casters shouldn't be tied to just because casters are tied to dailies. Non-casters should get cool things to do even if magic is more or less powerful than they are and waiting around an hour is just plain "Meh" for a Non-Caster. Wait around and get back abilities that bend or break physics? Sure, but abilities that don't bend or break physics or the imagination is just a punishment for the sake of punishment.

Everyone has limits for their special abilities. The game balance relies on it. Rogues need advantage, monks use ki, barbarians can only rage so often, casters use spell slots, and Battle Masters need limits to their maneuvers. In this edition, you should not be able to always use every ability you have available. The only reason Champions don't is that their only abilities are skills and attacking, and if the player decides that's what they want then they can have it. If Battle Masters get to use special abilities multiple times every turn without ever having to stop for any reason, they're broken. That's all there is to it. The PHB limits them too much, but removing limits completely goes too far in the other direction. Even 4e, which had awesomely powerful warlords, didn't let them do everything without limiting them.

HorridElemental
2014-08-22, 01:03 PM
I'd love to see more maneuvers that inflict status conditions such as Paralysis.

No worries, I'll be creating my own maneuvers, I just needed to put out the base ones from the PHB that I had to fix.

Everyone has limits for their special abilities. The game balance relies on it. Rogues need advantage, monks use ki, barbarians can only rage so often, casters use spell slots, and Battle Masters need limits to their maneuvers. In this edition, you should not be able to always use every ability you have available. The only reason Champions don't is that their only abilities are skills and attacking, and if the player decides that's what they want then they can have it. If Battle Masters get to use special abilities multiple times every turn without ever having to stop for any reason, they're broken. That's all there is to it. The PHB limits them too much, but removing limits completely goes too far in the other direction. Even 4e, which had awesomely powerful warlords, didn't let them do everything without limiting them.

And that limit for everyone that isn't a caster is bull crap that is only there because casters have a daily limit. They all get penalized for using low powered abilities the same way casters get penalized for using high powered abilities.

Barbarian rage being used per day is such a horrible mechanic. Heck, even as a short rest penalization it would be stupid. I get that you may need to rest for a few minutes but within the realms of the fantady gamethere is no reason to need to penalize non-casters because casters have a limit.

Stop treating non-casters as if they are casters.

thepsyker
2014-08-22, 01:44 PM

While I agree that if you are going to make maneuvers more readily available there needs to be some sort of trade off for balance, I don't think that limiting their availability was the only way, or even the best way, to balance them.

I have been mulling over a possible battle master fix myself and since we all ready have this thread I suppose I will add them here as opposed to creating a new thread. Personally I think the way to go would be to use the proficiency system, with each maneuver serving as a proficiency and using degrees of success [one degree for every point you beat the check by] on contested checks/straight dc checks to determine bonuses previously determined by superiority die rolls.

You would add maneuvers the same way you do now, gaining proficiency with each maneuver you take. So you will gain new maneuvers as you level as you do now and instead of gaining larger superiority dice as you level you get the benefit of your increasing proficiency bonus, which although smaller then the maxes you can roll on the higher superiority dice balances it by being more consistent.

In terms of the abilities check with each I would probably keep those the same for those maneuvers that all ready have an associated ability check, but for the maneuvers that don't I would probably have them use "non-fighter prime" abilities like Int, Wis and Cha to serve as a balance to being able to use the maneuvers as often as one wants. This is still in the musing stage so I haven't done the math, but the design idea is to balance the additional uses by requiring the character to have a broader range of abilities, resulting in smaller bonuses to the each ability check, thus fewer degrees of success and therefore getting an ability that can be used more often, but for smaller benefit on each use.

I would make abilities that direct your party members work off of Cha. representing your ability to command and I would probably have those work of a set DC target, since I don't think contested checks make much sense in those cases.

For abilities that you use on opponents I would use contested roles base off either Wis, representing your ability to spot subtle clues as to what they are planing and reacting accordingly or Int, representing a sort of strategic RDJ Sherlock Holmes awesome by analysis approach to maneuvering. I would probably have your foe use Int for all of their checks to represent their ability to avoid broadcasting their attacks/predict and counter your awesome by analysis, opponents that have the same maneuver would get to add their proficiency with that maneuver to their roll.

I could see how the D20 variable in this could scew the number of degrees of success in cases where one rolls high and the opponent low. If that is to much of an issue an alternative might be to use the opponents Int score + proficiency as the target or 8 + ability mod + proficiency. Another alternative could be to allow the opponent to use a more favorable attribute such as Dex for their part of the contested roll or increase the circumstances where the opponent is allowed to add their proficiency.

As I said, these are just musings at this point so I can't really say if this approach actually would be better/more balanced then the superiority dice approach just that it would allow one to drop the superiority dice mechanic, which I'll admit is my biggest issue with the class although that is entirely a matter of personal taste.

HorridElemental
2014-08-22, 09:48 PM
While I agree that if you are going to make maneuvers more readily available there needs to be some sort of trade off for balance, I don't think that limiting their availability was the only way, or even the best way, to balance them.

I have been mulling over a possible battle master fix myself and since we all ready have this thread I suppose I will add them here as opposed to creating a new thread. Personally I think the way to go would be to use the proficiency system, with each maneuver serving as a proficiency and using degrees of success [one degree for every point you beat the check by] on contested checks/straight dc checks to determine bonuses previously determined by superiority die rolls.

You would add maneuvers the same way you do now, gaining proficiency with each maneuver you take. So you will gain new maneuvers as you level as you do now and instead of gaining larger superiority dice as you level you get the benefit of your increasing proficiency bonus, which although smaller then the maxes you can roll on the higher superiority dice balances it by being more consistent.

In terms of the abilities check with each I would probably keep those the same for those maneuvers that all ready have an associated ability check, but for the maneuvers that don't I would probably have them use "non-fighter prime" abilities like Int, Wis and Cha to serve as a balance to being able to use the maneuvers as often as one wants. This is still in the musing stage so I haven't done the math, but the design idea is to balance the additional uses by requiring the character to have a broader range of abilities, resulting in smaller bonuses to the each ability check, thus fewer degrees of success and therefore getting an ability that can be used more often, but for smaller benefit on each use.

I would make abilities that direct your party members work off of Cha. representing your ability to command and I would probably have those work of a set DC target, since I don't think contested checks make much sense in those cases.

For abilities that you use on opponents I would use contested roles base off either Wis, representing your ability to spot subtle clues as to what they are planing and reacting accordingly or Int, representing a sort of strategic RDJ Sherlock Holmes awesome by analysis approach to maneuvering. I would probably have your foe use Int for all of their checks to represent their ability to avoid broadcasting their attacks/predict and counter your awesome by analysis, opponents that have the same maneuver would get to add their proficiency with that maneuver to their roll.

I could see how the D20 variable in this could scew the number of degrees of success in cases where one rolls high and the opponent low. If that is to much of an issue an alternative might be to use the opponents Int score + proficiency as the target or 8 + ability mod + proficiency. Another alternative could be to allow the opponent to use a more favorable attribute such as Dex for their part of the contested roll or increase the circumstances where the opponent is allowed to add their proficiency.

As I said, these are just musings at this point so I can't really say if this approach actually would be better/more balanced then the superiority dice approach just that it would allow one to drop the superiority dice mechanic, which I'll admit is my biggest issue with the class although that is entirely a matter of personal taste.

Way to troublesome is the main problem. 5e's philosophy is to keep things simple.

In another system I could see this working but I don't see this working within the realm of 5e.