PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Melee Items (2000 gp budget)

r2d2go
2014-08-22, 12:07 AM
So, in a game where, apparently, most cheese that doesn't utterly smash open the game is allowed, I find myself with some extra cash and can't find anything that's not single-use and will help my melee charger. I've got ~2000 gp to spend, though the cheaper the better. To provide some reference, here's some of what I already have:

Infinite, command word activated Cure Minor Wounds (Basically infinite wand of lesser vigor for out of combat, since the nature of the game means I'm the only one who really needs it).
Continuous Fist of Stone (+6 Enhancement to strength for 2000 gp, basically)
Aboleth Mucus
4 Potions of Truestrike
3 Feather Tokens (Tree)

Any advice? I'm looking for something to boost my attack rolls, mostly, but damage is very welcome as well (I might end up caving and just taking continuous Protection from Evil, so that's a baseline for things that aren't attack or damage). Continuous/infinite use heavily preferred.

Thanks for any help! :smallsmile:

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-22, 12:39 AM
Well, if you've already shelled out the money for a masterwork weapon, adding 2000 gp makes it a +1 weapon. That always helps.

r2d2go
2014-08-22, 01:02 AM
Well, if you've already shelled out the money for a masterwork weapon, adding 2000 gp makes it a +1 weapon. That always helps.

Thanks for the tip, but since masterwork has +1 to attack, that's basically paying 2000 for +1 to damage :smalltongue: still, it's definitely on the table if I can't find anything better.

Svata
2014-08-22, 01:09 AM
While the +1 damage is meh, it also gets you past DR/Magic, and DR/Magic and (damage type your weapon deals (typically bludgeoning))

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-22, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the tip, but since masterwork has +1 to attack, that's basically paying 2000 for +1 to damage :smalltongue: still, it's definitely on the table if I can't find anything better.

True. Especially if it's a one-off, that might not be too useful. Spending the 1000 gp on +1 armor, though, could be quite good. Leaves you room for, say, one or even two of the weapon or armor crystals in the Magic Item Compendium.

sideswipe
2014-08-22, 01:24 AM
having the +1 weapon means that if a ghost or allip or shadow appears you don't just cry and wait for your impending doom to befall you.

r2d2go
2014-08-22, 01:24 AM
While the +1 damage is meh, it also gets you past DR/Magic, and DR/Magic and (damage type your weapon deals (typically bludgeoning))

Also very true :smallbiggrin: so, that's on the table, but I think that's my base line. Any other suggestions? Even cheese or questionably valuable/ruled items would be helpful.

True. Especially if it's a one-off, that might not be too useful. Spending the 1000 gp on +1 armor, though, could be quite good. Leaves you room for, say, one or even two of the weapon or armor crystals in the Magic Item Compendium.

I feel Protection from Evil with it's +2 AC and various other benefits might trump that. It's on the table though, especially since as noted there are quite useful armor crystals. Thanks for the tip :smallsmile:

LordHenry
2014-08-22, 02:24 AM
Continous item of true strike, since your DM seems to be pretty gernerous with continous items?

peacenlove
2014-08-22, 03:15 AM
Continuous item of nerve skitter. +5 initiative for 1/4 of the price. Sign if your DM doesn't allow nerveskitter to fire as an immediate out of items. Point him/her at Rules Compendium if he wonders how you can activate an item as an immediate action.

eternal wand (heroics), half charged for half the price (around 2100) for when you really need that combat feat (eg. improved sunder for hydras)

eggynack
2014-08-22, 03:23 AM
I'd consider anklets of translocation from the magic item compendium. Tactical teleportation is just a crazy important thing, whether it's allowing you to bypass some BFC, or go a long distance and full attack. You're not boosting attack or damage, but you are absolutely boosting the amount that those numbers will matter. It's a great value.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-22, 04:01 AM
Rhino's Rush is a 1st level spell in Spell Compendium, and it makes your first attack on a charge deal double damage. The cost of a use-activated (every time you charge it activates) item of a 1st level spell with a caster level of 1st should be 2,000 gp according to Table 7-33 in the DMG. I personally don't agree with most items priced using that table, but it looks like you're already using that in your current game so have at it. For 2,000 gp, every time you charge you gain the benefits of a Rhino's Rush spell that causes your next attack to deal double damage.

Firechanter
2014-08-22, 07:04 AM
+1 Weapons are boring and not terribly efficient, except if you need to get past DR/Magic or Incorps. On the other hand, they are a must-have. On the third hand, +1 weapons start dropping pretty early, so if you are willing to wager you don't _need_ a magic weapon right now, you might just hold off a bit and wait until it comes to you. But as we're thinking metagame already, whatever weapons you find might not the type you are looking for, and there might be some in-party competition if nobody has a magic wep yet. How many hands are we counting now? Another thing to keep in mind is that you will probably want your _permanent_ primary weapon to be made out of a special material, like Adamantine or the more cheesy variants (Oerthblood etc), but it's gonna take a while until you can afford that.

Harlot
2014-08-22, 08:44 AM
For inspiration:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

I agree on the Anklet of translocation.
Or Warning/Eager weapon enhancement on your +1 weapon. OK you cant have both. But having a +1 weapon makes weapon enhancements available, and som of them are awesome :-)

/Harlot

Segev
2014-08-22, 09:17 AM
If you can go in mounted, I think a Piercer Cloak is fairly inexpensive and is +1d6 damage per hit from higher ground if you can spend a swift action to activate it. It's +2d6 if you're charging from at least 10 feet higher, but just being mounted is technically "higher ground" (to the point that you get a +1 bonus to hit for being on higher ground from being mounted and attacking a creature your size or smaller; I think most people tend to forget this rule. I know I do).

Edit: Oh, and a use-activated item of a 2nd level spell is 1800*6 = 10800 gp. Heroics lasts 10 min./CL, and gives you any Fighter feat you want. Why do I bring this up when it's explicitly out of your price range? Because a 1/day use-activated item would only be 2160 gp. Still 160 more than you have to spend, but within spitting distance if you can scrounge up a loan or something.

Why is heroics worth this? A single fighter feat 1/day for 30 min.? Because a single fighter feat can get you any Martial Maneuver whose prerequisites you meet. And those can get fun.

Darrin
2014-08-22, 10:36 AM
Helm of Tactics/Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC). Both of these items give you and your teammates a +2 untyped damage bonus when flanking. The Helm works 3/day, swift action to give all your allies within 60' a damage bonus for 10 rounds when flanking. The Amulet has a continuous effect that gives you and anyone else you are flanking with a damage bonus. It also gives a +5 AC bonus to an adjacent ally 1/day as a swift action. Either one is a nice little force multiplier. Pick whichever fits your particular group (although if you can get both, the untyped bonuses stack with each other).

Or:

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC). Once per day as a swift action, move up to half of your land speed. Even better, this movement does not provoke AoOs. Even if you already have a reliable method to move + full attack, having multiple methods is always a good idea. Unlike the Anklets of Translocation, there’s a 24-hour attunement period for chronocharms, so you can’t swap in a fresh one after every use.

Brute Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC). These gauntlets get 3 charges per day and offer a +2/+3/+4 morale bonus on Str checks and melee weapon damage for one round. At lower levels, this is a great bargain that can turn the tide of battle, but you may want to trade them in if you've got a bard in the party or can get some other similar morale bonus on damage. While I'm normally not a big fan of items that only work for a few rounds per day, these are cheap enough that you can buy multiple copies and swap in a new pair after every encounter.

Boots of Landing (500 GP, MIC). Basic slot filler that takes the sting out of 10'-20' pit traps. Also, you can tease the monk about how you were able to buy one of his unique class features for only 500 GP.

Troll Gut Rope (500 GP, MIC). If you don't have this already, it's always good to have lots of rope handy, and this provides 300' per day. It also dissolves after 12 hours, so it's perfect for tying up prisoners and you don't have to worry if they got untied later.

Oko and Qailee
2014-08-22, 10:46 AM
Some shapesand? That stuff can be useful

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-22, 10:57 AM
Boots of Landing (500 GP, MIC). Basic slot filler that takes the sting out of 10'-20' pit traps. Also, you can tease the monk about how you were able to buy one of his unique class features for only 500 GP.

For increased ability to tease the monk (never seems to be enough of that, really), there's also the armor qualities Landing (4000 gp, ignore the first 60 feet of a fall and always land on your feet when you fall) and Anti-Impact (2000 gp, all full-body damage, e.g. falls and constriction, is halved), which happen to be two of my favorite armor abilities that don't add to an enhancement bonus. Falling is a free action, so you can jump off an 80' cliff, only take 1d6 damage, and still get in a full attack against whoever's at the bottom (assuming you didn't land on them and kill them outright). The armor qualities are a bit out of the price range here, but Boots of Landing is a good item.

StoneCipher
2014-08-22, 11:00 AM
You could also do weapon capsules and oils just for fun.

r2d2go
2014-08-22, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys! I think I have to go with Rhino's Rush, but thank you everyone for helping :smallsmile:

Crimson Wolf
2014-08-22, 07:35 PM
Might I suggest maybe to get past DR of some things off the start possibly look into alchemical items like Holy Water, and a good bit of weapon blanch. It is a lot less expensive and say you go range with some ammunition, you can use a single blanch on ten pieces of ammo. And they can be pretty cheap compared to buying a single item made of something special. Just a thought, that way you can buy a good bit of those, and still have some leftover for other items like survival items and such.