PDA

View Full Version : Hulking hurler damage

Radialdiamond
2014-08-22, 01:52 AM
I still don't understand the calculation for hulking hurler damage.
could someone run the answer by me?

Necroticplague
2014-08-22, 03:34 AM
I still don't understand the calculation for hulking hurler damage.
could someone run the answer by me?

The Hulking Hurler has an ability to throw anything less than their medium load. In the back of the same book, it has rules for improvised weapons based on weight. So they deal damage equal to:((Objectweight-400)/200)+5 d6. The obscene numbers you see some people get in because encumbrance increases exponentially with strength, and is increased by feats and size.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-22, 03:45 AM
What he said, plus it specifies that a sharp object deals damage as an object of twice its weight.

For example, say a Half-Goristro Centaur (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) (bottom of the page, large quadruped, Str 34) goes into Hulking Hurler and gets the Overburdened Heave trick. This allows him to throw an object weighting up to his medium load. A large quadruped has a carrying capacity three times that of a medium creature, and Str 34 has a base carrying capacity four times that of Str 24. Let's say he has a Belt of Strength +6, for Str 40, so his carrying capacity is four times that of a Str 30, which is four times that of Str 20. A medium load for a medium creature with Str 20 is 266 pounds, so Str 30 would be 1064 and Str 40 would be 4256 pounds for a medium creature's medium load. A large quadruped has three times that, for a medium load of 12,768 pounds.

He throws a jagged/sharp rock that weighs 12,768 pounds, so it deals damage as though it weighed 25,536 pounds. CW p159 has the calculations for determining improvised weapon damage. Up to 400 pounds it deals 5d6 damage, and for every 200 pounds beyond that it deals an additional 1d6 damage. (25536-400)/200=125.68, rounded down. So that's 125d6 damage in addition to that base 5d6 for the first 400 pounds, for a total of 130d6 damage. Average damage for 1d6 is 3.5, so his average damage per attack is 455.

Edit: He could actually get a Belt of the Wide Earth in MIC from the Raiment of the Four set, which doubles his carrying capacity. This could also have a +6 Enhancement bonus to Strength added to it per MIC p234. This gives him a medium load of 25,536 pounds, so a jagged/sharp rock weighing this amount would deal damage as if it weighed 51,000 pounds. (51,000-400)/200=253, so he would deal 258d6 damage per attack for an average of 903 damage per hit.

Curmudgeon
2014-08-22, 05:08 AM
The Hulking Hurler has an ability to throw anything less than their medium load. In the back of the same book, it has rules for improvised weapons based on weight. So they deal damage equal to:((Objectweight-400)/200)+5 d6. The obscene numbers you see some people get in because encumbrance increases exponentially with strength, and is increased by feats and size.
Those numbers are generally impressive, but you have to consider that the Hulking Hurler still needs to hit their target, and they have a hard time doing that. The HH gets a pass on what weight of weapon they can throw, but that's just one exception; they still have to follow all the other improvised weapons rules.

If an object weighs up to 2 pounds, a Medium character can treat it as a light weapon. Objects weighing between 2 and 10 pounds are one-handed weapons for Medium characters, and objects weighing 11 to 50 pounds are two-handed weapons. Halve these numbers for every size category below Medium, and double them for every size category above Medium.
Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. A Large Hulking Hurler can at most use a 20 lb. weapon one-handed; anything more than that means it'll take a full-round action to throw it. So they've got just one attack, limited to 50' (or 100' with Far Shot), with only a 5' step for movement, per round. At 50' the HH has a -12 penalty (-2 improvised weapon, -10 range) to hit. While it's easy to boost Strength, size is the important limiting factor here. The HH might get one good shot in, and then everybody who understands their limitations will just keep their distance.

Necroticplague
2014-08-22, 06:19 AM
Edit: He could actually get a Belt of the Wide Earth in MIC from the Raiment of the Four set, which doubles his carrying capacity. This could also have a +6 Enhancement bonus to Strength added to it per MIC p234. This gives him a medium load of 25,536 pounds, so a jagged/sharp rock weighing this amount would deal damage as if it weighed 51,000 pounds. (51,000-400)/200=253, so he would deal 258d6 damage per attack for an average of 903 damage per hit.
Dont forget natural heavyweight, which also doubles carrying capacity. Effectively 102,000 pounds, 514d6 damage, average 1795.5 damage.

Those numbers are generally impressive, but you have to consider that the Hulking Hurler still needs to hit their target, and they have a hard time doing that. The HH gets a pass on what weight of weapon they can throw, but that's just one exception; they still have to follow all the other improvised weapons rules.
A Large Hulking Hurler can at most use a 20 lb. weapon one-handed; anything more than that means it'll take a full-round action to throw it. So they've got just one attack, limited to 50' (or 100' with Far Shot), with only a 5' step for movement, per round. At 50' the HH has a -12 penalty (-2 improvised weapon, -10 range) to hit. While it's easy to boost Strength, size is the important limiting factor here. The HH might get one good shot in, and then everybody who understands their limitations will just keep their distance.

Oh, I'm more than aware of that. Especially since race tends to make these hurlers have poor BaB (our example in this thread would be around ECL10 before any class levels. Basically, you're just trading in accuracy for damage. At least they could also pick up Area Attack to help. At the very least, it has less problems with it than charging, since simply rough ground doesn't stop them. Honestly, I always though getting appropriately-sized ammo would be the problem. Where are you gonna find a (in our example) 51,000 pound jagged boulder to toss around? Or get a replacement when you break it?

Chronos
2014-08-22, 09:08 AM
With PC wealth, it shouldn't be too hard to find a blacksmith who will make you a big spiky iron ball.

Curmudgeon
2014-08-22, 11:51 AM
... getting appropriately-sized ammo would be the problem. Where are you gonna find a (in our example) 51,000 pound jagged boulder to toss around? Or get a replacement when you break it?
Where are you going to find a 51,000 lb. boulder that you can even pick up with normal size hands without that concentrated force (25,500 lb./hand) being enough to break the thing?

The Insanity
2014-08-22, 12:15 PM
Where are you going to find a 51,000 lb. boulder that you can even pick up with normal size hands without that concentrated force (25,500 lb./hand) being enough to break the thing?
He doesn't have to. It's fantasy after all. He can do it because he's badass like that.

torrasque666
2014-08-22, 12:20 PM
Soo...... because I'm lazy, how much would something weighing 5013504 pounds deal? Because that was the max I had someone throwing before. If I could have gotten that belt it would have been 92878667776 pounds.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-22, 12:33 PM
soo...... Because i'm lazy, how much would something weighing 5013504 pounds deal? Because that was the max i had someone throwing before. If i could have gotten that belt it would have been 92878667776 pounds.

(x-400)/200+5

Necroticplague
2014-08-22, 01:02 PM
Soo...... because I'm lazy, how much would something weighing 5013504 pounds deal? Because that was the max I had someone throwing before. If I could have gotten that belt it would have been 92878667776 pounds.

25,070d6. Average (which your probably gonna get, thanks to the bell curve on these kinds of things) of 87745 damage.

Chronos
2014-08-22, 01:16 PM
Average (which your probably gonna get, thanks to the bell curve on these kinds of things) of 87745 damage.
To clarify, your result will probably be close to the average, relative to the value. But the absolute difference from the average will probably be large. In this case, you'll probably get 87,745... plus or minus a few hundred. Plus or minus a few hundred seems like a lot, but it's small relative to tens of thousands.