PDA

View Full Version : How much can be converted from 5e to 3.5?

Mezmote
2014-08-22, 04:29 AM
Hey playground.

As the title suggests, I'd like to hear your opinion on which mechanics can be safely translated from 5e to 3.5.

I've bought and is now reading through the 5e PHB. So far, I like Advantage and Disadvantage, and will be implementing it into our group. But how about the other radical changes from the old to new edition? I know that the players would like to keep feats, spellcasting and ability progression (and no ability score cap) as is, because it is so familiar to them. I was thinking of how well the free movement ("free spring attack") would work, and how the different class features may or may not impact the game. I'm am a fan of the reduced number of spells the full spellcasters can prepare, so I might try to squeeze that one in.

Be aware that my group is full of veterans, and we've been playing 3.5 for about 7-8 years, with few to no modifications. Now I pop up as the new DM and wants to change everything, so I'd also need some elegant strategy of convincing them if more radical changes should ensue.

So, which mechanics do you think will translate well into the older edition?

(PS.: We're not going to change edition. My group are somewhat conservative for the most part, and would like the shell of the game to stay the same.)

Serafina
2014-08-22, 04:36 AM
Rituals. Just give full casters ritual casting, make it available as a feat, and decide which spells in your game have the ritual tag.

Falka
2014-08-22, 04:43 AM
I don't think that Advantage mechanics are suitable for 3.5.

linklele
2014-08-22, 04:52 AM
Well, you should try to propose the whole 5e at first. Maybe they will surprise you ad agree to change edition. I mean, it's not a big change as the 4e was... also point on how much fluid this ed is.
If they refuse you could implement the advantage/disadvantage easily (wich actually is a lot similar to a Luck Dice roll, so no big problem there).

Want spellcaster use powerful cantrips at will? Just give them a Rod/Staff with unlimited charges (Not that they are not already powerful enough...).

Some of the flavor of the new classes can be added with story advancement (es: Assassin archetipe can be emulated throug story-driven events, like setting up the second identity). Also go crazy on magic items that give special ability. Want to balance things out? Give them CURSED magic item, so there is always a drawback for enanched ability.

Fighter manouvers existed also back in 3.5 (complete scoundrel i think) you can give incentives by giving free ability points to spend in those.

So, what i mean is that there is nothing incredibly new that cannot be emulated in 3.5 in a way or another. Just give them the right indication. Even the more machanical rules can be huse-ruled (like the double movement durning combat).

...And when tehy accepted this all you can finally unveil your diabolical plot to convert everyone to 5e!:smallamused:

pwykersotz
2014-08-22, 09:04 AM
I don't think that Advantage mechanics are suitable for 3.5.

They aren't bad for 3.5. Just take every spell or feat that provides a bonus to any kind of d20 based check and have it grant advantage instead. It's a pretty easy application.