PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e Cantrips for everyone! Would people like to see this?

Inevitability
2014-08-22, 05:43 AM
A lot has been said about 4e. Some call it 'not D&D', while others praise it for bringing balance to the game. Regardless, one of the problems people have with it, and one that I often see too, is the lack of noncombat abilities.

4e is mainly focused on combat, and outside of it people are stuck with roleplaying, skills, and the occasional ritual/martial practice. Except wizards and psions, who still have powers to use.

I was annoyed by this, but didn't really pay much attention to it. 4e still was enjoyable for me, and it was not until someone I was in a game with said something that caught my attention. He was playing a psion with Dimensional Scramble, and asked the DM if he could use that power to teleport himself around out of combat, removing the damage. It wasn't really a power thing, he just thought it was flavorful for his character. The DM declined the request (he was pretty shaky to allow non-RAW stuff), but it got me thinking. Why not create 'cantrips' every class can pick? So here I am, and I wonder if anyone here would be interested in seeing such a thing.

I have two ways in mind to do this at the moment.

1. Two pseudo-cantrips (let's call them classtrips from now on) are selectable from the classes' list at 1st level. At 11th and 21st level, another is picked from the list.

2. Each at-will power has a classtrip linked to it. Depending on the at-will powers you pick, you gain classtrips. I'd have to figure out a way to let one gain more as he levels.

So, what do you think? Advice on doing it? A preference for one way or another? Would you like me to do a certain class first?

Inevitability
2014-08-23, 10:10 AM
34 views and no comments... Is really no one interested in this? :smallfrown:

StormingMarcus
2014-08-23, 10:14 AM
I would gladly like to see some cantrips for all classes, as long as these cantrips are "utility powers" usable also outside combat.

Therefore, I would personally not tie them to at will attack powers, but rather sort them either by outside-of-combat-role or by power source.

Inevitability
2014-08-23, 11:54 AM
I would gladly like to see some cantrips for all classes, as long as these cantrips are "utility powers" usable also outside combat.

Therefore, I would personally not tie them to at will attack powers, but rather sort them either by outside-of-combat-role or by power source.

I don't think I'll sort them by power source. A druid and a barbarian having the same powers does not really make sense to me, as do a bard and an artificer with the same classtrips.

A separate set for each class seems the best option to me.

Inevitability
2014-09-04, 01:10 AM
Will start on the classtrip soon in a separate thread.