PDA

View Full Version : Cleric only spells

Shamash
2014-08-22, 11:50 AM
So I'm starting a new character and the group already have everything they need a meatshield, a nuker, a healer and so on.. So I can start with anything I want like a bard, warlock or something like that.

I'm thinking about playing as a cleric but I would like to know what is the main difference between the cleric and the wizard spell list?

Are there spells that only the cleric can cast? If so can you name the best ones, or the most useful ones or just your favorite ones.

Also, why clerics can't use edged weapons?

TheFamilarRaven
2014-08-22, 12:14 PM
Clerics have plenty of spells that are different from the wizard's list. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any unique spells other than the obvious Cure Wounds, Planar ally (Although planar binding is similar and probably better), Divine favor/Power. Order's Wrath/Holy smite/all that good stuff. Remove Blindness/Deafness, neutralize poison, heal, Implosion. Bless and prayer. Deathward. Spell immunity. All of those are just from core, mind you. The main difference between their spells I would say is availability. Clerics can prepare any spell from their list, while wizards need to lug around spell books, and pay money for additional spells. Also, clerics have a lot of spells that dispel or even grant immunity to some of the most nasty status effects in the game. Not to mention domain powers/spell lists which are awesome

Personally, my favorite is stone-shape. They get it a level earlier than wizards, and it makes battlefield control really easy when used correctly. Some people might tell you tell grab to 3 feats. Extend Spell, Persist spell, and Divine Meta-magic (Persist). Then pick up a few nightsticks. But only 1 of those 4 steps is in core, and it's pretty damn cheesy, so depending on the DM/group I can't recommend it.

Clerics are actually proficient with all simple weapons, this includes edged weapons like spears, daggers, etc. I'm sure you mean weapons like shortswrods and longswords however. So, to be honest, i don't know, but the reason I was given is that back in the middle ages or renaissance, the mace was considered a "holy weapon", and that bit of history was carried over into the cleric class. And clerics can in point of fact use swords. A cleric with the War domain gains weapon proficiency with his deity's favored weapon (So if it' a longsword, the cleric can use longswords)

Hope that helps.

AuraTwilight
2014-08-22, 03:15 PM
Er...what game are you playing, and what edition of said game? Specifically? That effects the advice we can give you.