PDA

View Full Version : Re-fluffing Barbarian (specifically Rage)

Theodoxus
2014-08-22, 05:00 PM
I'm getting the opportunity to finally play a 5E campaign - it's a homebrew based on Eberron. I've never played Eberron before, other than messing around a bit on the FtP MMO.

That said, my friend is going to be a HElf bard with the urchin background, and I'm planning on being the tank - dwarf barbarian with high dex and con, lowish str. Due to this, I'm going with the rapier / shield combination. I'm also planning on taking the noble background.

The character interaction will be, my character, Lord Revelstoke, sees an urchan half-elf boy on the streets, takes pity on him, sends him to bard school and once graduated, takes him along his adventures to win fame and prestige together.

The thought of a barbarian in noble dress, wielding a foppish rapier and buckler is too good to pass up - but, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to refluff rage, keeping it mechanically the same, yet not based on 'grr, I'm so mad, i'm gonna rip your face off' but 'idk, something noble and cool.'

I'm not looking for a noble savage type thing, but actual panache - like indignation that he's being attacked and thus 'sluffs' (to borrow a LARP term) half the damage.

Anyone done something similar or have suggestions? Please and thank you.

pwykersotz
2014-08-22, 05:04 PM
Perhaps, a la the Scarlet Pimpernel, he takes a pinch of snuff and the high renders his clarity temporarily higher and his sense of feeling temporarily lower?

Theodoxus
2014-08-22, 05:09 PM
ooh, I do like that! An excellent suggestion :)

Falka
2014-08-22, 06:23 PM
He gets drunk. And things... happen! Strange, terrible things.

I mean, being a Dwarf Noble... He should have access to really strong booze.

1of3
2014-08-22, 06:48 PM
He doesn't know. Only after the enemy is overcome people look at him funny.

DiBastet
2014-08-22, 10:59 PM
Sherlock Holmes' (downey jr version) battle insight seems precisely what you want.

rlc
2014-08-22, 11:22 PM
could just be a case of jeckel and hyde.

MustacheFart
2014-08-22, 11:50 PM
Depending on how "trained" you are in the art of war you could easily describe/portray your rage as an almost state of zen mastery in combat. In other words intense battle focus that you're able to move just subtly enough to minimize the hit taken.

But hell, I like that Scarlet Pimpernel one and I am stealing it for the Monk/Barb I hope to be playing next week.

mabriss lethe
2014-08-23, 12:16 AM
It's the power, clarity and speed not born of a sane mind. Everyone just thinks that he's an eccentric noble, but it goes much deeper. Too many generations of cousins marrying have perhaps left their mark.

Sartharina
2014-08-23, 02:39 AM
I like "A very, very Stiff Upper Lip"... I guess is what I was trying to get at.

Taking full damage is likely to ruin his poise and posture, and that's simply unacceptable for a man of his social standing.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-24, 10:36 PM
The thought of a barbarian in noble dress, wielding a foppish rapier and buckler is too good to pass up - but, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to refluff rage, keeping it mechanically the same, yet not based on 'grr, I'm so mad, i'm gonna rip your face off' but 'idk, something noble and cool.'

Nobles, however fashionable their clothes may be, and as much as we like to idealize them in fantasy, can acquire severe mental disorders and anger issues from a plethora of sources.
Perhaps his patron believed in corporal punishment, or used other means of abuse to 'reform' or 'civilize' his adopted child. This could lead to lasting resentment and a range of destructive behaviors -it could even be a reason for him leaving the estate to adventure.
Similarly, a screaming blood frenzy could be a holdover survival instinct from his years on the street.

vasharanpaladin
2014-08-26, 12:20 AM
To borrow from Dwarf Fortress, he enters a "martial trance" instead of a berserk rage. See previous explanations about "zen mastery."

Alternately, take the 8-Bit Theatre route: He has an item of apparel that he doesn't like damaged, so he takes it off before entering battle. Problem is, once he takes it off he flips the frick out, and doesn't remember what happened when he puts it back on. "I don't mean to alarm you, but there appears to be an axe lodged in your cranium, sir!"