PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Controlling Undead Without Class Levels

Vhaidara
2014-08-22, 05:35 PM
Hello Playground, I am working on a character for a campaign where we are using CR instead of Level.
I am using the Brain in a Jar (Libris Mortis) as an egoist Psion. Being CR 12, I am a 9HD Brain in a Jar with 11 levels of Egoist and the Elite Array.

I just saw the Stygian Domination power, and it is perfect for the character. However, to my knowledge, Psionics have no decent means of creating undead. The possession is going to start next level when, in combination with 2x Practiced Manifester, I hit ML 20 and am able to possess a Hulking Corpse (Also Libris Mortis).

My question is this: How do I get one without spending levels? I have 4 feats open, and 50000gp to spend. Since I lack a Str score, most of my items will be Ioun Stones anyways (to orbit my jar), which limits my options on items

The Hulking Corpse isn't a set, but it nicely fits the image I have in mind, is mindless, and has 20 HD, which is the sweet spot for my possession.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-22, 06:53 PM
As a brain-in-a-jar, you probably can't wear normal armor; however, maybe some padded armor barding with the Undead Controlling enhancement? Costs a +2 bonus, lets you control 26 HD of undead as the spell. Control resets at each dawn, so you'd have to make sure you're awake before sunrise to immediately re-control them.

Vhaidara
2014-08-22, 07:48 PM
I have a Str score of -, so equipment that can't be slotless isn't really an option.

However, an idea strikes me
Bracers of Armor can receive further armor enhancements
Bracers of Armor are a wondrous item taking up the arms slot
Wondrous items can be made slotless by paying double.

Should cost 18000 by my calculations.

Vhaidara
2014-08-23, 11:58 AM
Okay, problem with that plan, Undead Controlling is not +2, it is +49000, meaning that to make it a slotless, it would take 100000, exactly double the gold I have.

Thanatosia
2014-08-23, 12:59 PM
What is Stygian Domination power? No idea exactly what you need here. But two things I can say, Brain in a Jar naturally seem to have the power to Rebuke or Command undead as a cleric of level equal to it's HD, so it already should have the power to control undead that way out of the box (in the jar). If you just need undead followers, there's the undead leadership feat.

Vhaidara
2014-08-23, 03:20 PM
CPsi power that lets you control a mindless undead (as in actually possess the body) for 1hr/level.

And I completely missed that.

Troacctid
2014-08-23, 11:28 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Necrocarnum Circlet) and Open Least Chakra (Crown) let you animate and control a necrocarnum zombie with HD up to half your character level.

Coidzor
2014-08-24, 12:03 AM
Azun Gund/Nightcaller's Whistle from Sunless Citadel/Libris Mortis. Relatively cheap and gives you control of 2 Zombies. IIRC the zombies are limited to 10 HD(after zombification, IIRC) models.

The magic item can be shared across multiple users though, as far as I recall, so the entire party and their cohorts and henchmen and followers can have 2 zombies each.

Edit: If Hyperconscious can be nabbed (and Hyperconscious is pretty well regarded 3rd party), then Psianimate Dead (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12408.0) should serve you well.