PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rules question: Incorporeal creature

jjcrpntr
2014-08-22, 05:40 PM
I want to make sure I'm interpreting a rule properly. Not using this any time soon but was doing some prep for my game this weekend and this caught my attention.

Incorporeal creatures only take half damage from attacks made by magic weapons, unless that weapon has the ghost touch property. If the creature has dr does it take 1/2 the damage- dr?

silly question I know. Thank you in advance for the help.

Hazrond
2014-08-22, 05:51 PM
I want to make sure I'm interpreting a rule properly. Not using this any time soon but was doing some prep for my game this weekend and this caught my attention.

Incorporeal creatures only take half damage from attacks made by magic weapons, unless that weapon has the ghost touch property. If the creature has dr does it take 1/2 the damage- dr?

silly question I know. Thank you in advance for the help.

its a miss chance, not half damage

Edit: just realized this was pathfinder and not 3.5, im not sure about pathfinder but in 3.5 it was a miss chance instead of straight up damage penalties

jjcrpntr
2014-08-22, 06:38 PM
its a miss chance, not half damage

Edit: just realized this was pathfinder and not 3.5, im not sure about pathfinder but in 3.5 it was a miss chance instead of straight up damage penalties

Ya it's different. Incorporeal creatures get the incorporeal qualities under which it says

An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it takes only half damage from a corporeal source (except for channel energy). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead. Corporeal spells and effects that do not cause damage only have a 50% chance of affecting an incorporeal creature. Force spells and effects, such as from a magic missile, affect an incorporeal creature normall

that plus the creature having DR would tell me that it takes half the damage - it's DR. That's the ruling I'm going with anyway. Just wanted to check in with the playgrounds minds to make sure I'm not messing with my party.

Psyren
2014-08-22, 07:19 PM
I would say the creature gets to apply them in whichever order is most beneficial. Generally this would mean halving it first and then applying DR.