PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A spell durations?

eruditecloud
2014-08-22, 06:56 PM
hey just a quick probably dumb question, when a spell duration states 1 round/ level does level mean caster level? as in if i have a 2nd level cleric with 4 levels of fighter would it have a duration of 2 rounds or 6? i assume it means caster level but i cant actually find where it states that in the books.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-22, 07:00 PM
hey just a quick probably dumb question, when a spell duration states 1 round/ level does level mean caster level? as in if i have a 2nd level cleric with 4 levels of fighter would it have a duration of 2 rounds or 6? i assume it means caster level but i cant actually find where it states that in the books.

It's 1 round per caster level that you have in the class casting the spell, yes. Protection From Evil will last the same amount of time whether it's cast by a 3rd-level cleric, a cleric 3/rogue 5, or a cleric 3/wizard 3. However, there is a feat (practiced spellcaster, appears in more than one of the "Complete" series of supplements) that increases your caster level for one of your casting classes by four, to a maximum of your total class levels (e.g. a cleric 2/fighter 4 without Practiced Spellcaster has caster level 2, a cleric 2/fighter 4 with Practiced Spellcaster has caster level 6, a cleric 2/fighter 7 with Practiced Spellcaster has CL 6, and a cleric 3 with Practiced Spellcaster gains no benefit).

bjoern
2014-08-22, 07:00 PM

Caster level not character level. In your scenario it would be 2. There are however feats and/or class features that allow you to count levels in all classes as your CL or BAB

eruditecloud
2014-08-22, 07:02 PM
thats what i figured i just didnt see it written in the core books, thanks guys

bjoern
2014-08-22, 07:04 PM
thats what i figured i just didnt see it written in the core books, thanks guys

Its got to be somewhere in the front of the PH I would think.

nyjastul69
2014-08-22, 07:22 PM
Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevel) is where that rule is located in the SRD.