PDA

View Full Version : Domains and Spells

JackMage666
2007-03-07, 12:00 PM
Here's a questions about domain spells and regular spells -

Can you prepare domain spells in regular spell slots? I know the "+1" is reserved for a domain spell, but could you prepare the others for the same purpose. For example, if I have th emagic domain and wanted to prepare Identify (not normally a Cleric spell), could I prepare it in every 1st level slot, or just the domain slot?

Ramza00
2007-03-07, 12:06 PM
No, but there are several ways you can get such spells. PHB2 cleric substitutions option (drop spontaneous heal or inflict to get spontaneous domain casting from one domain) . Domain Spontaneity feat from CDivi takes a turn attempt for each time you use it. The UA option which forfeits your domain slots but you get spontaneous domain casting. And a couple domain specific feats such as Initate of Mystra that add domain spells to your list.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-07, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you can, if the spell is available to your domain.
Example: Acid Fog is Sorcerer/Wizard 7, and you can't cast it as a cleric, but it's also Water 7, so if you are a cleric with the Water domain, you can cast it as normal.

I may be wrong, tough.

daggaz
2007-03-07, 12:48 PM
You cannot prepare domain spells in normal spell slots. Nor can you prepare nondomain spells in domain spell slots.

Im not actually sure what happens if you use metamagic however, would be nice if somebody could explain it. For example... you use extend spell on your lvl 2 domain spell, bumping it to lvl 3. Does it then take up the lvl 3 domain slot? And then, is the lvl 2 domain slot still available? (so you could prepare two of the same domain spell, just one of them extended?) Thats at least how I can see it works, havent ever bothered to use metamagic yet with my little cleric.

Ramza00
2007-03-07, 12:52 PM
Don't forget you can use a pearl of power with domain spells.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-07, 01:33 PM
Im not actually sure what happens if you use metamagic however, would be nice if somebody could explain it. For example... you use extend spell on your lvl 2 domain spell, bumping it to lvl 3. Does it then take up the lvl 3 domain slot? And then, is the lvl 2 domain slot still available? (so you could prepare two of the same domain spell, just one of them extended?) Thats at least how I can see it works, havent ever bothered to use metamagic yet with my little cleric.
That is how it should work.

Anyway, I find being unable to use domain spell in a normal slot pretty silly from a conceptual point of view (but not necessarily a game balance point of view). "Hey, my 6th-level cleric is devoted to reigning down death and destruction! Watch in amazement as I use less than a quarter of my spells to demonstrate such devotion!" Replace "death and destruction" with any other appropriate phrase.

Granted, this isn't much of a problem for clerics whose domains are comprised mostly of spells already on the cleric list. But it is a problem for things like the Magic domain, which have a fair number of good thematic spells that the cleric can only access through domain slots.

themightybiggun
2007-03-07, 01:35 PM
For a little more flavor, I just do away with domain slots and go with spontaneous casting from their domains.

Makes all the clerics a little more different.

Aerlock
2007-03-07, 02:04 PM
Just to clarify, here's the passage from the SRD:

Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells: <snip> Each domain gives the cleric access to a domain spell at each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up, as well as a granted power. The cleric gets the granted powers of both the domains selected.
With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, a cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot. If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.Emphasis mine.

So if it is normally a cleric spell you can prepare it in your normal slots in addition to your domain slot. If it isn't, like Identify, you can only use your domain slots to prepare it. If you want/need multiple castings of the spell you could use any higher level domain slot for an extra casting of your domain-granted, normally non-clerical, spell.

Aerlock

Krellen
2007-03-07, 02:05 PM
You could, however, prepare Identify in all your Domain slots, if you so wished. With or without Metamagic, you can always use a higher level slot to prepare a lower level spell.