PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] Feat selection for a Totemist? (help an MoI newbie out)

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-22, 08:52 PM
Also race selection and a question about multiclassing/PrCs, but mostly feat selection. Now that I've finally gotten around to learning the Magic of Incarnum system, the Totemist looks really cool and I want to play one. But:

1. Is a straight-classed totemist playable through most levels without oodles of optimization? Most references to it that I have seen have called it good for dipping, but I don't know anything about the actual usefulness of going Totemist 20. Are their any PrCs/short dips that I should take?

2. I don't need much/any help choosing which melds to shape/bind; after all, if one layout doesn't work I can always try an entirely different arrangement and strategy the next day. However, I don't know what to do in regards to feat choices. Multiattack is a no-brainer, but from there it's unclear to me. Should I go for some of the Incarnum feats for more essentia and some side benefits? Would I be well enough off with general combat-assistance feats like Improved Initiative and similar passive abilities? Or should I have a feat progression tailored for a particular purpose?

3. What LA+0 races (without any RHD) are useful for the Totemist?

Dread_Head
2014-08-23, 05:04 AM
Also race selection and a question about multiclassing/PrCs, but mostly feat selection. Now that I've finally gotten around to learning the Magic of Incarnum system, the Totemist looks really cool and I want to play one. But:

1. Is a straight-classed totemist playable through most levels without oodles of optimization? Most references to it that I have seen have called it good for dipping, but I don't know anything about the actual usefulness of going Totemist 20. Are their any PrCs/short dips that I should take?

2. I don't need much/any help choosing which melds to shape/bind; after all, if one layout doesn't work I can always try an entirely different arrangement and strategy the next day. However, I don't know what to do in regards to feat choices. Multiattack is a no-brainer, but from there it's unclear to me. Should I go for some of the Incarnum feats for more essentia and some side benefits? Would I be well enough off with general combat-assistance feats like Improved Initiative and similar passive abilities? Or should I have a feat progression tailored for a particular purpose?

3. What LA+0 races (without any RHD) are useful for the Totemist?

1. Totemist is playable through all 20 levels, it sucks kinda hard at 1 before you get the totem chakra bind but after that it works at every level. Here is a brilliant handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook) if you're looking for PrC ideas or general advice. A dip in Incarnate can be useful to shape all of their soulmelds as well (which you can invest your Totemist essentia in.)

2. Expanded Soulmeld Capacity can be useful if you are using one main meld for attacking and want to boost it. Bonus Essentia at 6 if you are finding you don't have enough essentia. Split Chakra at 9 for your Totem chakra will allow you to get two of the very tasty Totem binds. You should probably decide on what style of combat you are going for to help choose feats, if you are tearing it up with natural weapons then Multiattack and INA are probably your feats of choice, if focusing on the manticores belt then archery feats are going to be what you want etc. Shape Soulmeld can be desirable of you want a few soulmelds from incarnate or soulborn (thunderstep boots) but don't want to dip them. If you are going for a more sneaky stealth type role then look at Darkstalker. Feats that grant additional natural attacks are great such as some warforged feats, some of the Willing Deformity line and some of the Aberrant Blood line. Improved Unarmed Strike lets you make your iteratives with your fist and then all your natural attacks as secondary natural attacks.

3. If you are starting at level 1 you probably want a race that grants a natural attack, I recommend Darfellan or Warforged. Humans and Azurin are good choices as well for the extra feat when you will probably be particularly feat starved. Changeling can be good to open up the Warshaper PrC which can be pretty broken.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-23, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the tips! After taking a look at Warforged, I definitely want to play one of those as a Totemist. I do, however, have a few questions about natural attacks:

1. If I took Improved Unarmed Strike (and also probably Superior Unarmed Strike), would I be able to attack with my unarmed strikes (as the primary/iterative attacks) and with the natural slam attack(s) (as secondary weapons) in the same turn?

2. If two soulmelds/chakra binds grant natural attacks of the same type, do I get them both? For example, if I had both Girallon Arms and Kruthik Claws bound to my Totem chakra (via Double Chakra), would I get six claw attacks, four of which deal 1d4 and two of which deal 1d6+1d4/essentia acid?

Troacctid
2014-08-24, 12:23 AM
2. If two soulmelds/chakra binds grant natural attacks of the same type, do I get them both? For example, if I had both Girallon Arms and Kruthik Claws bound to my Totem chakra (via Double Chakra), would I get six claw attacks, four of which deal 1d4 and two of which deal 1d6+1d4/essentia acid?

Here's the relevant rule:

The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.

It's not terribly clear. As written, it's one attack "per claw." But then again...

http://i.imgur.com/nKeJGsT.png

The Sphinx Claws totem bind apparently gives you four claws on each hand. Most DMs probably wouldn't translate that to eight separate claw attacks. Similarly, the rule refers you to the individual monster entries, but none of the monsters that have multiple claws per limb have more than one claw attack per limb.

So it would seem to be a disconnect between RAW and RAI. Clear it with your DM.

Of course, you can always sidestep the ambiguity by switching the Kruthik Claws for a Lamia Belt, which explicitly puts the claws on your lower body.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-24, 07:36 AM
It's not terribly clear. As written, it's one attack "per claw." But then again...

http://i.imgur.com/nKeJGsT.png
The Sphinx Claws totem bind apparently gives you four claws on each hand. Most DMs probably wouldn't translate that to eight separate claw attacks. Similarly, the rule refers you to the individual monster entries, but none of the monsters that have multiple claws per limb have more than one claw attack per limb.

So it would seem to be a disconnect between RAW and RAI. Clear it with your DM.

Of course, you can always sidestep the ambiguity by switching the Kruthik Claws for a Lamia Belt, which explicitly puts the claws on your lower body.

Ah, thank you. Now that I've gotten a chance to read through more of the soulmelds, the ambiguity is becoming pretty apparent. I guess I'll have to determine which attacks stack and which don't, and check with my DM on the particulars.

Urpriest
2014-08-24, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the tips! After taking a look at Warforged, I definitely want to play one of those as a Totemist. I do, however, have a few questions about natural attacks:

1. If I took Improved Unarmed Strike (and also probably Superior Unarmed Strike), would I be able to attack with my unarmed strikes (as the primary/iterative attacks) and with the natural slam attack(s) (as secondary weapons) in the same turn?

Yes, in general. There are a few Totemist soulmelds that are worded so that it's unclear whether or not they're actually natural attacks, or which have restrictions about making other attacks alongside them. But otherwise, that's how natural attacks and iteratives work, yes.

Vhaidara
2014-08-24, 05:20 PM
As someone who has made several, I wholly support the creation of a Warforged Totemist.

Multiattack is a good feat. By good, i mean amazing.

Consider the ranged route (my avatar shows what that looks like). Pick up Mithral Body, and at level 2 bind the Manticore Belt to Totem for a solid ranged attack. Level 6 add in a Sighting Gloves (acquired level 3 by taking Shape Soulmeld) bind for free Precise Shot, and later add the waist bind for Manticore Belt to strafe.

Level 6 feat for meldshapers should always be Bonus Essentia, because it is so useful. Double Bind (Totem) should be taken ASAP to let you double dip on those amazing binds.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-24, 07:57 PM
As someone who has made several, I wholly support the creation of a Warforged Totemist.

Multiattack is a good feat. By good, i mean amazing.

Consider the ranged route (my avatar shows what that looks like). Pick up Mithral Body, and at level 2 bind the Manticore Belt to Totem for a solid ranged attack. Level 6 add in a Sighting Gloves (acquired level 3 by taking Shape Soulmeld) bind for free Precise Shot, and later add the waist bind for Manticore Belt to strafe.

Level 6 feat for meldshapers should always be Bonus Essentia, because it is so useful. Double Bind (Totem) should be taken ASAP to let you double dip on those amazing binds.

Hm. Mithral Body was already on my list of feats I want to take, and I didn't have a feat for level 3. For a one-feat investment, that ranged build looks really nice. Even if I usually focus on melee, that seems pretty darn worthwhile. I can just keep one setup for ranged combat and one setup for melee combat, and each day choose whichever I feel more like using. Unless I should try to focus on either ranged or melee, but not both?

Red Fel
2014-08-24, 08:07 PM
As an aside, if you do go with Warforged, don't forget that they can take Jaws of Death (Races of Eberron) as a feat to gain a permanent 1d6 bite attack. Because Totemists just can't have enough natural attacks, and having the slam and bite by default, before iteratives and soulmelds, is pretty nice. Admittedly, in E6 you may find yourself a bit feat-starved, but if you ever find a slot opening up...