PDA

View Full Version : God Symbols & Skulls

TechnOkami
2014-08-22, 09:46 PM
So! I'm going to be playing a Cleric in a D&D game for the first time, and I'm going to be going down the route of a Necromancer Cleric, who worships Nerull as their patron deity. However, Nerull worship is something akin to a cult in this particular game, with Pelor being the main religion, meaning I need ways to cover up the fact that I'm an eeeeeevil Cleric of Nerull.

My current plan is to pass myself off as a cleric of a different deity whose symbol is a skull, but the only one I've been able to find is Wee Jas. what other Gods with appropriate symbols/themes could I pass myself off as?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-22, 09:49 PM
Cleric of a cause, the cause being the laying to peaceful and appropriate rest of undead?

Gnoman
2014-08-22, 10:02 PM
Encircle your holy symbol in a sun motif, if your DM will allow it. Tell anyone who asks that its a variant symbol symbolizing the triumph of Pelor over Nerull. You won't fool anyone with a high Knowledge (Religion) skill, but it should fool the peasants.

TechnOkami
2014-08-22, 11:04 PM
I forgot to mention, and here's the really prickly bit: there's a cleric of Pelor already in the party. Yes I'm suicidal, for those who're curious.

Thurbane
2014-08-23, 02:02 AM
From Greyhawk - Doresain (ghoul skull), Falazure (draconic skull), Iuz (a grinning skull), Kurtulmak (gnome skull), Kyuss (skull with worms in it's eyes and jaws), Meyanok (snake coiled around a skull) and Shargaas (skull on a red crescent moon).

Since these are all evil gods, though, not sure how much that will help.

TechnOkami
2014-08-23, 02:37 AM
From Greyhawk - Doresain (ghoul skull), Falazure (draconic skull), Iuz (a grinning skull), Kurtulmak (gnome skull), Kyuss (skull with worms in it's eyes and jaws), Meyanok (snake coiled around a skull) and Shargaas (skull on a red crescent moon).

Since these are all evil gods, though, not sure how much that will help.

Dang... hm, maybe if I carved lines extending from the skull to make it look like flesh pulled over it, I could pass myself off as a cleric of Wee Jas or something...

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-23, 01:05 PM
I really do think passing yourself off as a Cleric of no god in particular, whose holy symbol is a skull - but craft it out of something shiny and/or natural - because he is dedicated to delivering the undead into peaceful rest. Of course, peaceful rest means that they have to be in the right places and laid to rest with the appropriate rites, and in the meantime of course you have to command them that they might not bring others to inappropriate harm. So you might be able to weasel your way into openly controlling a posse of undead, but it'll be ok since you're doing it for the right reasons.

Beneath
2014-08-23, 04:12 PM
I would think that altering a symbol so that it looks like some other symbol would make it no longer the symbol it's supposed to be.

Best to keep your holy symbol hidden and only get it out when you need it.

(or, if one of the risks here is being killed/turned in by your own party, don't play it because it will only lead to destructive in-party conflict)

TechnOkami
2014-08-23, 04:37 PM
Another thought I had was just to keep the holy symbol covered with a cloth or something, so at the very least it is undefinable (if very odd and prone to asking questions).

Feralventas
2014-08-23, 04:44 PM
If you can, take a look at the Ghostwalk Campaign setting book, as there's several death-related deities there including the Neutral Good Aluvan, guardian of souls. Can hide your Neurlian gifts under the guise of ghostly benevolence.

TechnOkami
2014-08-23, 05:21 PM
If you can, take a look at the Ghostwalk Campaign setting book, as there's several death-related deities there including the Neutral Good Aluvan, guardian of souls. Can hide your Neurlian gifts under the guise of ghostly benevolence.

No can do, it's a 100% pure Core game.