PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Need help designing monster

OblivionBlade
2014-08-22, 11:24 PM
A short while ago I had idea for a monster; i've got most of the information inked in (bonuses, traits) but i'm no good at coming up with base stats, CR, saves or HP. I'm looking for a bit of help finishing it up. Monster is below.

Lore: One of the more successful experiments by the Mind Flayers, Oblivion Walkers are voidminds that have been forcibly mutated into shock troopers. They cannot use equipment, and instead rely upon regeneration and natural weapons to tear apart thier foes. Their regeneration exceeded even the Mind Flayers expectations, as they themselves did not think that the oblivion walkers would regenerate their removed brains and restoring their sense of self. Most attempt off themselves when they realize what they've become, but few are able. Most end up wandering, in search of answers of what they've become. Regardless of this fatal flaw, these creatures are still created: for the several months it takes to regenerate their brains, they serve as excellent troops.

Stats (Voidmind):
STR ?, DEX ?, CON ?, INT 4, WIS 6, CHA ?
FORT ?, REF ?, WILL ?

Stats (Freed)
STR ?, DEX ?, CON ?, INT 12, WIS 6, CHA ?
FORT ?, REF ?, WILL ?

Traits: Malleable Form, Elemental Resistance (5 all), Oblivion Walker Traits, Venomous Extrusion, Natural Weapons, Aberrant Fast Healing
Movement: 40 ft per round
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Bull Rush, Improved Bull Rush, ?

Malleable Form: An Oblivion Walker's form is flexible and shifts somewhat to diflect blows. This is partially due to the massive regeneration of their form. Oblivion Walkers gain a +5 malleable bonus to AC, and an inherent DR 4/Law. In addition, an Oblivion Walker can alter their carapace at the start of each encounter.

An Oblivion Walker can alter their carapace to take on the traits of either Unarmored, Light armor, Medium armor, or Heavy armor, at the beginning of each encounter. Regardless of form chosen, the Oblivion Walker suffers no Armor Check Penalty, has unlimited Maximum Dexterity bonus, and no Arcane Spell Failure. Depending on form chosen, they gain a bonus. They also receive a bonus to speed.

Unarmored: + 50% base movement speed
Light: +4 AC, + 25% base movement speed, + 2 DR/Law
Medium: +5 AC, + 0% base movement speed, + 4 DR/Law
Heavy: +8 AC, - 25% base movement speed, + 6 DR/Law

Aberrant Fast Healing: An Oblivion Walker regenerates swiftly, restoring 5 hp per round, along with one point of ability damage per round. This regeneration is halted for 4 rounds after receiving any damage with the "Law" tag. Void Walkers do not truly die unless their regeneration is suppressed when their hit points are below -10.

Oblivion Walker Traits: Oblivion Walkers have a unique biology, and are immune to many things that damage the immune system or skin. Oblivion Walkers are immune to natural, magical, or supernatural poisons or diseases, paralysis, bleeding, and do not die when decapitated. If decapitated, they are treated as flat footed for the rest of the encounter, and receives a -10 circumstance penalty to reflex saves. Flesh to stone and other similar effects only last for one round against an Oblivion Walker.

Venomous Extrusion: While they are immune to poison, an Oblivion Walker cannot normally remove poison from their system. Instead, they secrete it from their claws. After ingesting at least one ounce of a liquid poison, they secrete it from their natural weapons for a number of rounds equal to their constitution modifier. As the poisons have no been weakened, but STRENGTHENED by their immune systems, the poisons gain a bonus to DC equal to their constitution modifier.

Freed Oblivion Walkers with an INT score over 14 are aware of this, and carry 1d6-1 vials of one of several poisons. They imbibe a vial at the start of combat.
Roll a D4 to determine poison type:
1: Black Adder Venom
2: Greenblood Oil
3: Medium Spider Venom
4: Goodbye Kiss

Natural Weapons: An Oblivion Walker's claws are deadly weapons. Each claw deals 1d10 + 6 damage, and has a critical profile of 19-20/x3. If secreting poison, there is a 100% chance of applying that poison upon successfully damaging a foe.

As you can tell, I need a bit of help with the stats: In perticular, CR, and the saves/scores block. I also need help on how many attacks per round they should get.

If anyone could help me with this, that'd be amazing.

Debihuman
2014-08-24, 07:48 AM
How many claws does it have? That number determines the number of attacks it has. I recommend you look up and use the statistics block from the online SRD as that is the easiest one to follow.

How to post a monster: things in brackets should be replaced with names.

[Name]
[Size] [Type]
Hit Dice: [Hit Dice] + [Bonus Hit points], ([average hp])
Initiative:
Speed:
Armor Class:
BAB/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves:
Abilities:
Skills:
Feats:
Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Fill it out as best you can and I'll come around and help with the rest.

Debby

GGambrel
2014-08-24, 10:12 AM
I was unaware of the Voidmind template before today, and boy is it neat! :smallbiggrin:

I have a few suggestions about various features of the Oblivion Walker:

To me it seems like the Oblivion Walker might better be described as a template rather than a specific kind of creature since it once was a different creature. You could determine that stats and number of attacks of an Oblivion Walker from the base creature modified by the template. It seems Voidminds get bonuses to physical stats and intelligence and a penalty to charisma, so you could start there.

Alternatively, you could describe the Oblivion Walker as a specific variety of Voidmind that was able to withstand the mutation process. Perhaps a troll or some other creature with regeneration and a low intelligence score already. You could still use the base creature as a guide for the CR and other attributes in this case.

I would advise against referring to their Aberrant Fast Healing as regeneration, since Regeneration is a game term with specific rules. I think you might just give them Regeneration and have them only take lethal damage from Lawful attacks, though I think alignment-based Regeneration may also be without precedent. Or... you could leave them with some form of natural Regeneration (like that of a troll) and then give them the DR you mentioned.

From the description it seems that an Oblivion Walker should be immune to critical hits, but I do not think that was mentioned anywhere. Which makes me think you may want to look into the Warshaper class (especially the Morphic Weapons class feature) from Complete Warrior when working on the Oblivion Walker.

I hope you find my suggestions useful. Best of luck with your homebrewing! :smallsmile:

OblivionBlade
2014-08-24, 05:10 PM
I did what you asked debbi and filled in what i could.

Oblivion Walker
Medium Abberation
Hit Dice: [Hit Dice] + , ([average hp]) (unsure)
[B]Initiative: High
Speed: 40 ft/round
Armor Class:
BAB/Grapple: as a fighter (BAB = HD)/+ 10
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach: As a human/As a human holding a scimitar (i have no clue, can't seem to find it :P)
Special Attacks: Natural Weapons (2 claws)
Special Qualities: Venomous Extrusion, Unnatural Healing, Malleable Form, Natural Weapons, Oblivion Walker Traits, Voidmind Template (If not freed), Spell resistance 10+ HD
Saves:
Abilities: Malleable Form Armor Portion
Skills:
Feats: Power attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Bull rush, Improved Bull rush, Improved Grapple
Environment: Wandering
Organization: 1-3: Freed, 6-12: Troop
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment: Voidmind: Always Chaotic Evil, Freed: Always Chaotic
Advancement:
Level Adjustment: (at least +12), cannot be played if not Freed

Malleable Form: An Oblivion Walker's form is flexible and shifts somewhat to diflect blows. This is partially due to the massive regeneration of their form. Oblivion Walkers gain a +5 malleable bonus to AC, and an inherent DR 4/Law. In addition, an Oblivion Walker can alter their carapace at the start of each encounter.

Malleable Form Armor Portion: An Oblivion Walker can alter their carapace to take on the traits of either Unarmored, Light armor, Medium armor, or Heavy armor, at the beginning of each encounter. Regardless of form chosen, the Oblivion Walker suffers no Armor Check Penalty, has unlimited Maximum Dexterity bonus, and no Arcane Spell Failure. Depending on form chosen, they gain a bonus. They also receive a bonus to speed.

Unarmored: + 50% base movement speed
Light: +4 AC, + 25% base movement speed, + 2 DR/Law
Medium: +5 AC, + 0% base movement speed, + 4 DR/Law
Heavy: +8 AC, - 25% base movement speed, + 6 DR/Law

Unnatural Healing: An Oblivion Walker regenerates swiftly, restoring 5 hp per round, along with one point of ability damage per round. This regeneration is halted for 4 rounds after receiving any damage with the "Law" tag. Oblivion Walkers do not receive fatal damage from sources that are not typed as "law". Regardless of in the natural regeneration is disabled or not, they gain an additional fast healing 3. (total of 8 when not weakened, 3 when weakened)

Oblivion Walker Traits: Oblivion Walkers have a unique biology, and are immune to many things that damage the immune system or skin. Oblivion Walkers are immune to natural, magical, or supernatural poisons or diseases, paralysis, bleeding, critical hits, stunning and do not die when decapitated. If decapitated, they are treated as flat footed for the rest of the encounter, and receives a -10 circumstance penalty to reflex saves. Flesh to stone and other similar effects only last for one round against an Oblivion Walker.

Venomous Extrusion: While they are immune to poison, an Oblivion Walker cannot normally remove poison from their system. Instead, they secrete it from their claws. After ingesting at least one ounce of a liquid poison, they secrete it from their natural weapons for a number of rounds equal to their constitution modifier. As the poisons have no been weakened, but STRENGTHENED by their immune systems, the poisons gain a bonus to DC equal to their constitution modifier.

Freed Oblivion Walkers with an INT score over 14 are aware of this, and carry 1d6-1 vials of one of several poisons. They imbibe a vial at the start of combat.
4: Goodbye Kiss

Natural Weapons: An Oblivion Walker's scythe-like claws are deadly weapons. Each claw deals 3d4 + 6 damage, and has a critical profile of 18-20/x3. If secreting poison, there is a 100% chance of applying that poison upon successfully damaging a foe. If damaged or sundered, they regenerate within 1d3 rounds.

OblivionBlade
2014-08-24, 05:13 PM
I was unaware of the Voidmind template before today, and boy is it neat! :smallbiggrin:

I have a few suggestions about various features of the Oblivion Walker:

To me it seems like the Oblivion Walker might better be described as a template rather than a specific kind of creature since it once was a different creature. You could determine that stats and number of attacks of an Oblivion Walker from the base creature modified by the template. It seems Voidminds get bonuses to physical stats and intelligence and a penalty to charisma, so you could start there.

Alternatively, you could describe the Oblivion Walker as a specific variety of Voidmind that was able to withstand the mutation process. Perhaps a troll or some other creature with regeneration and a low intelligence score already. You could still use the base creature as a guide for the CR and other attributes in this case.

At one point it was a different creature, but I think it's actually a very different creature after that point, since it was pretty much forcibly broken down and remade into an abberation. I always thought the process that created one would involve a gigantic cocoon made of flesh.

I would advise against referring to their Aberrant Fast Healing as regeneration, since Regeneration is a game term with specific rules. I think you might just give them Regeneration and have them only take lethal damage from Lawful attacks, though I think alignment-based Regeneration may also be without precedent. Or... you could leave them with some form of natural Regeneration (like that of a troll) and then give them the DR you mentioned.

I should probably redo that then.

From the description it seems that an Oblivion Walker should be immune to critical hits, but I do not think that was mentioned anywhere. Which makes me think you may want to look into the Warshaper class (especially the Morphic Weapons class feature) from Complete Warrior when working on the Oblivion Walker.

Added immunity to critical hits. I'll look up the warshaper thing.

I hope you find my suggestions useful. Best of luck with your homebrewing! :smallsmile:

Replies in red, thank you, i'll do what i can.

Debihuman
2014-08-24, 05:36 PM
With that many feats it needs at least 15 HD.

How powerful do you want this to be?

Debby

OblivionBlade
2014-08-24, 09:41 PM
CR15 sounds about right. This thing's supposed to be an elite shock trooper.

Debihuman
2014-08-25, 11:43 PM
Malleable has a few issues. First this is a problem: "Oblivion Walkers gain a +5 malleable bonus to AC, and an inherent DR 4/Law. In addition, an Oblivion Walker can alter their carapace at the start of each encounter."

What's a "malleable bonus"? There is no such thing. It should be a Circumstance bonus. Also DR 4 is weird. DR 5 is far more standard. I like that it is vulnerable to lawful weapons good choice. I'm far more concerned with how many armor bonuses this thing gets and whether it can wear manufactured armor. I would say not

Creatures have designations for their abilities: Ex, Sp or Su unless those are one gained from class or are natural abilities such as natural weapons.

You do not need to rename standard thing like immunities.

You need to watch how you phrase thing. Speed bonuses need to state how many feet per round are gained. You need game mechanics for every special ability a creature has. There is no such thing as a "malleable bonus, it is either an untyped bonus or a racial bonus. Deflecting blows is different from armor protection. While armor bonuses stack with other bonuses, they do not stack with each other. Since it already has DR 4/law from one ability, it should not gain it from another ability since it doesn't stack. Natural armor is not manufactured armor so it starts with a +5 natural armor. Since that is its normal state why would it take a speed penalty for having it? Malleable Form Armor should not contradict Malleable Form.

DR 4 is also standard so don't change it as it is not dependent on its armor. It already has a speed bonus (most Medium creatures have a speed of 30 ft and this has base speed of 40 ft.) so do not give it a bonus to speed as that would be an unfair advantage.

Immunities are not traits. Traits can have immunities but these should have standard traits from its Type and any Subtypes. I do not recommend creating a new Subtype for just one creature. Rather, just give it the immunities that seem most appropriate. Immunities are listed in the stat block not generally as text. You've given it immunities that it probably shouldn't have. Creature can choose to fail saves see revised immunities.

Its natural weapons are very powerful. I do not recommend the damage you've chosen. A scythe does 2d4 points of damage so that's what these should do. Note that it should not have 18-20 critical since that's not what a scythe does either. I do not recommend increasing the multiplier beyond x 2 for natural weapons as they get a boost from poison.

Natural Weapons: An oblivion walker's scythe-like claws are deadly weapons. Each claw deals 2d4 points of damage plus its strength bonus. If secreting poison, there is a 100% chance of applying that poison upon successfully damaging a foe. If damaged or sundered, the claw regenerates within 1d3 rounds

Immunities (Ex): Oblivion walkers are immune to bleed, critical hits, paralysis, poison, and stunning. They do not die when decapitated. If decapitated, they are treated as flat-footed for the rest of the encounter, and receive a -10 Circumstance penalty to Reflex saves. Flesh to stone and other similar effects only last for one round against an oblivion walker unless it voluntarily chooses to retain those forms.

Malleable Form (Ex): An oblivion walker's form is flexible and has the innate ability to transform its carapace. Oblivion walkers have a natural armor bonus +5 and DR 4/Law in their natural state. Due to their shifting nature, oblivion walkers cannot wear most manufactured armors.

Malleable Form Armor (Ex): An oblivion walker can alter its carapace as a standard action to mimic manufactured armor. At the beginning of each encounter as a standard action, it can choose to lower its natural armor bonus to as little as +0 with no penalty or raise it as high as +6 if it takes a 10 foot speed penalty. Reverting to its normal +5 natural armor bonus is a swift action.

Natural Weapons: An oblivion walker's scythe-like claws are deadly weapons. Each claw deals 2d4 points of damage plus its strength bonus. If secreting poison, there is a 100% chance of applying that poison upon successfully damaging a foe. If damaged or sundered, the claw regenerates within 1d3 rounds

Venomous Extrusion (Ex): While they are immune to poison, an oblivion walker cannot normally remove poison from its system. Instead, they secrete it from their claws. After ingesting at least one ounce of a liquid poison, they secrete it from their claws for a number of rounds equal to their constitution modifier. Any creature that takes damage from an oblivion walker's claws takes a penalty equal to the oblivion walker's Constitution modifier against that poison.

Freed Oblivion Walkers with an Intelligence score over 14 carry 1d6-1 vials of one of several poisons. They imbibe a vial at the start of combat.

Roll a d4 to determine poison type.

4: Goodbye Kiss (from Complete Scoundrel)

Oblivion Walker stat block. You should look at other CR 15 monsters to determine what you want to do. It's your creation so you have to decide what its abilities are and such. Look under Type and Subtype for Aberrations as that will also give you ideas. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#aberrationType.

I'm willing to help but I am not going to create this for you.

Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. This is based on size as Medium creature. It's in the SRD. I suggest you start here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm

Debby

OblivionBlade
2014-08-26, 02:04 PM
Thank you very much: i knew the scythes did too much damage. The malleable bonus could have been changed to +10 natural armor (+5 base +5). The malleable form trait actually an untyped bonus, but i forgot to put that in. My reasoning for the speed penalty is that the lighter it is, the faster it can move.

You're right, i forgot to classify the abilities to types. Wait, aren't scythes 2d4 20/x4 weapons?

... Okay i came up with some stats. I'm using a fighter's saves.

(Note, i'm adding in the bonuses from voidmind. They keep the bonuses of voidmind after becoming freed, but loses the cone of slime.)

(also note: i'm using the term "slave" and "freed" now instead of "voidmind" and "freed", because they never stop being voidminds, they just get thier sense of self back.

Str 24, Dex 18, Con 28, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 6 (Slave)

Str 24, Dex 18, Con 28, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12 (Freed)

(It would be extremely durable, and be of high strength, but not be very bright.)

So, now the stat block is looking like this:

Oblivion Walker
Medium Abberation
Hit Dice: 15d8 + 80, (147 HP)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft/round
Armor Class: 14 (10 + 4), touch 14, flat footed 12.
BAB/Grapple: 15/25
Attack: Scythe + 11 melee (2d4 + 11)
Full Attack: 2 Scythes (2d4 + 11), 1 tentacle (1d6 + 11)
Space/Reach: 5/5
Special Attacks: Cone of slime (When not freed), Constrict
Special Qualities: Venomous Extrusion, Unnatural Healing, Malleable Form, Natural Weapons, Immunities, Voidmind Template (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/voidmind.shtml) Spell resistance 10+ HD, Malleable Form Armor Portion, DR 4/Law, DR 5/Magic
Saves: +24/+14/+5
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 18, Con 28, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 6 (Slave), Str 24, Dex 18, Con 28, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12 (Freed)
Skills:
Feats: Power attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Bull rush, Improved Bull rush, Improved Grapple
Environment: Wandering
Organization: 1-3: Freed, 6-12: Troop
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: Standard, Double Coins
Alignment: Slave: Usually Lawful Evil, Freed: Usually chaotic
Advancement:
Level Adjustment: +12, use freed stat block.

Malleable Form (Ex): An oblivion walker's form is flexible and has the innate ability to transform its carapace. Oblivion walkers have an additional natural armor bonus + 5 (for a total of +10) and DR 4/Law in their natural state. Due to their shifting nature, oblivion walkers cannot wear most manufactured armors.

Malleable Form Armor (Ex): An oblivion walker can thicken or weaken its carapace at will. At the beginning of each encounter, an oblivion walker can choose to gain a untyped bonus to AC, up to a maximum of +8. However, for every 2 AC beyond +2, (4, 6, 8) an Oblivion Walker suffers a -5 feet per round penalty, but gains an additional +2 DR/Law. This bonus stacks with natural armor.

Unnatural Healing (Ex): An Oblivion Walker regenerates swiftly, restoring 5 hp per round, along with one point of ability damage per round. This regeneration is halted for 4 rounds after receiving any damage with the "Law" tag. Oblivion Walkers do not receive fatal damage from sources that are not typed as "law". Regardless of in the natural regeneration is disabled or not, they gain an additional fast healing 3. (total of 8 when not weakened, 3 when weakened)

Immunities (Ex): Oblivion walkers are immune to bleed, critical hits, paralysis, poison, and stunning. They do not die when decapitated. If decapitated, they are treated as flat-footed for the rest of the encounter, and receive a -10 Circumstance penalty to Reflex saves. Flesh to stone and other similar effects only last for one round against an oblivion walker unless it voluntarily chooses to retain those forms.

Venomous Extrusion (Ex): While they are immune to poison, an oblivion walker cannot normally remove poison from its system. Instead, they secrete it from their claws. After ingesting at least one ounce of a liquid poison, they secrete it from their claws for a number of rounds equal to their constitution modifier. Any creature that takes damage from an oblivion walker's claws takes a penalty equal to the oblivion walker's Constitution modifier against that poison.

4: Goodbye Kiss (Complete scoundrel)

Natural Weapons: An Oblivion Walker's scythe-like claws are deadly weapons. Each claw deals 2d4 + 11 damage piercing or slashing, and has a critical profile of 20/x3. If secreting poison, there is a 100% chance of applying that poison upon successfully damaging a foe. If damaged or sundered, they regenerate within 1d3 rounds.

Voidmind Template (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/voidmind.shtml) bonuses:

Constrict (Ex): A voidmind creature gains the ability to constrict its victim with a successful grapple check. When it constricts, one of its tentacles deals damage based on the creature's size (see the table below), plus its Strength bonus x 1-1/2.

Size Constrict Damage
Tiny 1d3
Small 1d4
Medium 1d6
Large 1d8
Huge 2d6

Sentient Tentacle (Ex): A voidmind creature's tentacle attacks of irs own accord. The creature can direct it to attack certain targets, but the psionic nature of the tentacle enables it to flex and move in combat without hindering the creature's other combat abilities. A voidmind grimlock that has successfully grappled a creature with its tentacle can attack another creature at no penalty, as long as that creature is within a distance equal to the tentacle's reach.

Immunities (Ex): A voidmind creature has immunity to acid and mind-affecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It is also immune to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain.

Thank you very much, now all i need to get done is the skills.