PDA

View Full Version : [5e D&D] Duskblade - the Martial Caster

Kinie
2014-08-22, 11:49 PM
So I've always been a fan of the Duskblade class, but didn't like how the Eldritch Knight looked from the PHB, so I decided to update the Duskblade to the 5e rules. I tried to keep the flavor/spirit of the class intact, but I think the numbers need to be worked on. I put it in a google doc for people to read/review/print on their own free time, if they don't want to read it here. Otherwise, here's what I've come up with. I hope you all enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19jymJuCeN9gPBjLDecqW0T0JPg1vmyQprAM1Ba71ahc/edit?usp=sharing

Duskblade (alpha rules) for 5e

Hit Dice: 1d6 per Duskblade level
HP at 1st level: 6 + your Constitution modifier
HP at higher levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution mod per Duskblade level after 1st

Proficiencies:

Armor: All Light armor, All Medium Armor, and all shields except tower shields
Weapons: All simple weapons, all martial weapons
Tools: None

Saving Throws: Strength and Intelligence
Skills: Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the items granted by your background:
- (a) a martial weapon or (b) a longbow with 20 arrows
- (a) a suit of studded leather armor or (b) a suit of leather armor, a shield, and a dagger
- (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) two handaxes

Level 1: Prof. +2, Features: Spellcasting, Armored Mage
Level 2: Prof. +2, Features:
Level 3: Prof. +2, Features: Arcane Channeling, Duskblade Specialization
Level 4: Prof. +2, Features: Improved Armored Mage, Ability Score Improvement
Level 5: Prof. +3, Features: Quick Cast 1/long rest
Level 6: Prof. +3, Features:
Level 7: Prof. +3, Features: Armored Mage Mastery
Level 8: Prof. +3, Features: Ability Score Improvement
Level 9: Prof. +4, Features:
Level 10: Prof. +4, Features: Quick Cast 2/long rest
Level 11: Prof. +4, Features: Improved Arcane Channeling, Duskblade Specialization Bonus
Level 12: Prof. +4, Features: Ability Score Improvement
Level 13: Prof. +4, Features:
Level 14: Prof. +5, Features:
Level 15: Prof. +5, Features: Quick Cast 3/long rest
Level 16: Prof. +5, Features: Ability Score Improvement
Level 17: Prof. +5, Features:
Level 18: Prof. +6, Features: Arcane Channeling Expert, Duskblade Specialization Bonus
Level 19: Prof. +6, Features: Ability Score Improvement
Level 20: Prof. +6, Features: Quick Cast 4/long rest, Arcane Channeling Master

Spell Slots Per Spell Level

Level 1: Cantrips: 2, 2 1st
Level 2: Cantrips: 2, 3 1st
Level 3: Cantrips: 3, 4 1st, 2 2nd
Level 4: Cantrips: 3, 4 1st, 3 2nd
Level 5: Cantrips: 3, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 2 3rd
Level 6: Cantrips: 3, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd
Level 7: Cantrips: 3, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 1 4th
Level 8: Cantrips: 4, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4th
Level 9: Cantrips: 4, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 1 5th
Level 10: Cantrips: 4, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th
Level 11: Cantrips: 4, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th
Level 12: Cantrips: 4, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th
Level 13: Cantrips: 4, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th
Level 14: Cantrips: 5, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th
Level 15: Cantrips: 5, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th
Level 16: Cantrips: 5, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th, 1 8th
Level 17: Cantrips: 5, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th, 1 8th
Level 18: Cantrips: 5, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 3 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th, 1 8th
Level 19: Cantrips: 5, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 3 5th, 2 6th, 1 7th, 1 8th, 1 9th
Level 20: Cantrips: 5, 4 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd, 3 4th, 3 5th, 2 6th, 2 7th, 1 8th, 1 9th

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher

Level 1: 2
Level 2: 3
Level 3: 4
Level 4: 5
Level 5: 6
Level 6: 7
Level 7: 8
Level 8: 9
Level 9: 10
Level 10: 11
Level 11: 11
Level 12: 12
Level 13: 12
Level 14: 13
Level 15: 13
Level 16: 14
Level 17: 14
Level 18: 15
Level 19: 16
Level 20: 17

Spellcasting:
As a student of arcane magic, you commit all your knowledge of spells to memory. Through rigorous training and experience, you can call upon this knowledge at any time, even during the heat of battle. See Ch. 10 of PHB for the general rules of spellcasting and below for a list of all spells a Duskblade can learn. For more information on the spells themselves, check Ch. 11 of PHB for more information.

Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your Duskblade spells. The magic comes from within your own personal pool of magical energy, which you have honed and trained over the course of many years. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Duskblade spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell Save DC = 8 + your Proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell Attack Modifier = your Proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Ritual Casting
You can cast any Duskblade spell you know as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag.

Cantrips:
At 1st level, you know 2 cantrips of your choice from the Duskblade spell list. You learn additional cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown on the spell table below.

Armored Mage:
Your rigorous training and extensive knowledge of spells allows you to give simple, but effective benefits to you while in armor. At 1st level, so long as you wear light armor or no armor at all, you gain +1 AC. You must have a free hand available to you to cast your spells.

Arcane Channeling:
You have figured out how to perform the unique trait that all true Duskblades can do. Beginning at 3rd level, your weapon becomes an extension of your innate magical energy, allowing you to expend the energy when you choose on an enemy you hit. Before you make an attack roll, you can choose to expend one of your spell slots to add an additional d6 dice roll to your damage. The spell level determines how many dice you roll in addition to your normal damage roll. For example, you expend a 2nd level spell slot, and your weapon hits. Add 2d6 + your weapon dice to the damage roll. The spell slot is used until you can have a long rest to regain your magical energy. The damage itself from this effect is pure, raw magic.
To channel the energy, you must perform a small ritual to attune your magical energy to the weapon. The ritual itself takes 1 hour of your full attention, and only one weapon can be attuned to you at a time. If you wish to attune to a new weapon you can do so, you simply must re-attune to the new weapon, while the attunement on your current weapon is forgotten. This can only be used once per round.

Improved Armored Mage:
Long, arduous hours of training and your growing mastery of spells improves your simple benefits on armor. You can now wear medium armor and gain the +1 AC that you previously had available to you at level 1. You must have a free hand available to you to cast your spells.

Ability Score Improvement:
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Quick Cast:
Your continued training has yielded another benefit to you. Once per long rest, beginning at 5th level, you may cast any spell you know as a bonus action. This increases to 2/long rest at 10th, 3/long rest at 15th, and 4/long rest at 20th level.

Armored Mage Mastery:
While wearing armor was no issue to your spells, using a shield still prevented you from casting them. You have figured out how to cast spells while using all shields except a tower shield.

Improved Arcane Channeling:
You can channel even more magical energy into your weapon. You now roll a d8 instead of a d6 when the channeled energy hits.

Arcane Channeling Expert:
You can tap into the full well of your magical might. You now roll a d10 instead of a d8 when the channeled energy hits.

Arcane Channeling Master:
You have mastered the goal that all Duskblades strive to achieve: the ability to cast a spell through your attuned weapon. As a bonus action, you can channel the effects of a spell into your attuned weapon. When your attuned weapon hits, the spell is cast through your weapon, and the spell slot is used. The opponent cannot make a roll to avoid the damage of the spell, but can still roll to save versus whatever other effects the spell has, with the spell DC being as if you had cast the spell normally. If the spell would have an area of effect around it, it is centered on the opponent you hit. This can only be used once per round, and cannot be used in conjunction with the other Arcane Channeling effects.

Duskblade Specialization
You devote your studies of magic to one specific school, gaining further insight into previously hidden benefits and effects that were hidden from other magic-users. Choose one from the list below:

The Shield that Protects

Beginning at 3rd level, you learn Cure Wounds. Additionally, the following spells are added to the Duskblade spell casting list of spells you can learn: Lesser Restoration, Greater Restoration, Mass Cure Wounds, Revivify, Aid, Freedom of Movement, Heal, and Mass Heal.

At 11th level, when you cast an abjuration spell that requires you to make an ability check as part of casting that spell, you add your proficiency bonus to that ability check.

At 18th level, you may cast any Abjuration spell you know on yourself or an ally as a bonus action. This does NOT count against your limit of Quick Cast spells.

The Sword that Kills

Beginning at 3rd level, you can add your Intelligence modifier to the damage roll of any Duskblade Evocation spell list you know. In addition, you can add your Intelligence modifier to the damage roll of your attuned weapon if it hits with a spell slot charge on your attack.

At 11th level, any Duskblade Evocation spell you cast has advantage on your opponent.

At 18th level, any Duskblade Evocation spell of 4th level and lower that deals damage, you apply maximum damage with the spell.

The Dagger of Night

Beginning at 3rd level, you learn the Minor Illusion cantrip. This does not count towards your limit of cantrips known. If you already know this cantrip, choose a different one from the Duskblade spell list. When you cast Minor Illusion, you can create both a sound and an image with a single casting of the spell.

Beginning at 11th level, you learn the Greater Invisibility spell. This does not count towards your limit of spells known. If you already know this spell, choose a different spell from the Duskblade spell list. In addition, when you cast Greater Invisibility, you can keep it going for up to an hour, or can be cast in a 10-foot sphere centered on you that will last for one minute.

Beginning at 18th level, so long as you are conscious and aware of your surroundings, you are surrounded by mirror images of yourself at all times, each following a half-second behind or ahead of you. In effect, you are under Mirror Image spell effect, only it is a continuous effect. You can turn this effect off at-will, and it takes 1 minute to turn back on. If you fall to 0 hit points or go unconscious from other means, the effect ends. As the Mirror Images are removed, new ones will replace them within 1 minute of the first one being disappeared. This effect does not take place if you enter a anti-magic field, and the effects can be removed with Dispel Magic, but will return in 1 minute as normal.

Duskblade Spell List

Cantrips

Acid Splash
Fire Bolt
Light
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
True Strike

1st Level

Burning Hands
Color Spray
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Disguise Self
Illusory Script
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Shield
Silent Image
Thunderwave

2nd Level

Blur
Flaming Sphere
Invisibility
Levitate
Melf's Acid Arrow
Mirror Image
Ray of Enfeeblement
Scorching Ray

3rd Level

Blink
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Fireball
Fly
Haste
Major Image
Sleet Storm

4th Level

Fabricate
Fire Shield
Greater Invisibility
Ice Storm
Stoneskin
Hallucinatory Terrain
Banishment

5th Level

Cone of Cold
Creation
Dream
Mislead
Wall of Force
Seeming

6th Level

Chain Lightning
Disintegrate
Programmed Illusion
Sunbeam
True Seeing
Globe of Invulnerability

7th Level

Delayed Blast Fireball
Mirage Arcane
Prismatic Spray
Project Image
Symbol

8th Level

Control Weather
Incendiary Cloud
Power Word Stun
Sunburst

9th Level

Meteor Swarm
Power Word Kill
Weird
Wish

xyianth
2014-08-29, 12:27 AM
I like this a lot. I had started to brew up some ideas for a Duskblade update, but this seems to fit the bill nicely. I really like that your abilities don't call out melee attacks, letting this fill the Arcane Archer role as well as the traditional Duskblade.

I do have two observations that you may want to consider:

This class has the same spell slots per day that a Wizard does (not counting the Wizard's ability to regain some throughout the day) but on a much better class chassis. Where a wizard gives up armor, shields, hp, and most weapons in exchange for their spells, the Duskblade gets all that in exchange for only a narrower spell list. The balance is especially noticeable when compared to the poor evoker wizard. The Sword That Kills path features seem as good or better than the Evocation Wizard path features, and both classes get lots of great evocation spells. Since a Duskblade will likely burn through spell slots much faster than a Wizard, maybe a downshift in maximum spell level but an increase in the number of slots per day would help differentiate the classes a bit more?

The second one is much simpler, I don't think tower shields are a thing in 5th edition, so you don't have to call them out as excluded.

Anyway, great work!

Zweisteine
2014-08-29, 10:59 AM
I agree with Xyianth that this class' casting is a bit unbalanced.

This is my recommendation:

Change spells per day to match those of all other secondary casting classes (ranger, paladin, bard), an use the same number of spells known as the Warlock (and Bard, IIRC). You end up with only two spells more right now, and adding a modified progression to an edition based partially on simplicity is unnecessary.

Kinie
2014-08-29, 03:35 PM
I like this a lot. I had started to brew up some ideas for a Duskblade update, but this seems to fit the bill nicely. I really like that your abilities don't call out melee attacks, letting this fill the Arcane Archer role as well as the traditional Duskblade.

I do have two observations that you may want to consider:

This class has the same spell slots per day that a Wizard does (not counting the Wizard's ability to regain some throughout the day) but on a much better class chassis. Where a wizard gives up armor, shields, hp, and most weapons in exchange for their spells, the Duskblade gets all that in exchange for only a narrower spell list. The balance is especially noticeable when compared to the poor evoker wizard. The Sword That Kills path features seem as good or better than the Evocation Wizard path features, and both classes get lots of great evocation spells. Since a Duskblade will likely burn through spell slots much faster than a Wizard, maybe a downshift in maximum spell level but an increase in the number of slots per day would help differentiate the classes a bit more?

The second one is much simpler, I don't think tower shields are a thing in 5th edition, so you don't have to call them out as excluded.

Anyway, great work!

I felt like I had to give them full spellcasting progression and the same spell slots per day as the Wizard because the counterplay of balancing how they handle using their spells, both in combat and out of it, to get the extra damage on the Arcane Channeled weapon that have to expend that spell slot is something that I want the player to be aware of, but not to constantly worry over. Capping their max spell level at 5th, 6th, or 7th level (with a similar progression as a Ranger or Paladin) and giving them more spell slots is also something I considered, but eventually decided against it because their spell list is so narrow (it's mostly Evoaction, Abjuration, and Illusion schools of magic) and artificially capping the Arcane Channeling at, say, +7d10 at 20th level (assuming I took it to 7th level spells) I felt would limit the damage they could do, as the trade-off for being in the opponent's face to deal this damage is that you can get smacked around. But if the Duskblade did go with an Arcane Archer build, then I could see how safe they could be to deal so much damage per turn. I'll drop the hit dice down to d6, try to put an emphasis on how they are meant to be a damage class and not a damaging, tanky caster, and that they rely on their spells as well as their armor to keep them alive, as they can't take as huge a hit as the tankier classes that also wear medium armor.

I added the bit about tower shields because I am hoping they are in the DMG, and don't want to let them be able to wield a tower shield and have something like 20 AC by level 3 and to just be a nigh-impossible tanky, damaging mage. If they aren't in the DMG I'll remove that little caviat.

I agree with Xyianth that this class' casting is a bit unbalanced.

This is my recommendation:

Change spells per day to match those of all other secondary casting classes (ranger, paladin, bard), an use the same number of spells known as the Warlock (and Bard, IIRC). You end up with only two spells more right now, and adding a modified progression to an edition based partially on simplicity is unnecessary.

I did originally use the same number of spells known as the Warlock and Sorcerer (Bard eventually learns 22 spells), but felt it wouldn't have been enough variety in the class. I thought that letting them know an extra couple spells was reasonable, but having them be at 15 (like Warlock and Sorcerer) was too low, or 22 (like the Bard) was too high. I am willing to drop it down to 15 though, if it does end up being that those extra couple spells known push the class into an overbearing advantage over other classes.

I did try to emulate the casting progression of the Bard in terms of when they unlock more spell slots or new spell levels, I must've made a mistake on it. I'll give the Duskblade the same spell casting progression as the Bard for now. If it does end up being that having them know 7th level and higher level spells is a problem, I'll knock that down and give them more spells per day of the 4th through 6th level spells.

Anthiondel
2019-05-17, 04:11 PM
I'd put a d8 aa their hitdice (same as they had back in 3.5) and give CON/INT as saves tk keep the "one common, one uncommon" theme of other classes