PDA

View Full Version : riddle me this

awa
2014-08-23, 12:42 AM
i wanted to see roughly how hard my riddle for an upcoming game is so please tell me in spoilers how difficult it was for you to get and any other thoughts

I dig but have no paws
i drink but have no lips
i go clad in summer and unclad in winter
i will not bend but i can break

tree

Demidos
2014-08-23, 12:48 AM
Doable. Took me about 15 seconds, from a guy who's fairly decent at riddles, but nothing special. Make of that what you will.

The Oni
2014-08-23, 12:55 AM
I'm awful at riddles and I got it in about ten seconds. Pretty sure it's the clad in summer bit that kills it.

Demidos
2014-08-23, 01:00 AM
That bit was helpful

LunaLovecraft
2014-08-23, 06:37 AM
See, most of the riddle threw me onto the track of a tree, but the "I will not bend but I can break" thing confused me away from it. Trees CAN bend, and do constantly so when there are heavy winds they aren't uprooted and knocked away. Being flexible is a good trait in most trees (if not all, but I can't think of any counterexamples).

Slipperychicken
2014-08-23, 07:08 AM
The answer appears in the thread preview.

I don't consider leaves to be "clad", so I had some issues with this one.

Dorian Gray
2014-08-23, 08:37 AM
I got it in about ten seconds, even with the last line. The "I will break but not bend" or whatever it was is kinda confusing, because there are a lot of trees that do bend- willow, elm, beech, larch, etc.

Prince Raven
2014-08-23, 08:43 AM
Some sort of unusually brittle tree?

bjoern
2014-08-23, 08:52 AM
i wanted to see roughly how hard my riddle for an upcoming game is so please tell me in spoilers how difficult it was for you to get and any other thoughts

I dig but have no paws
i drink but have no lips
i go clad in winter and unclad in summer
i will not break but i can bend

tree

I think I have mild dyslexia and when I read it the first time my brain saw this and I though a river.

CombatOwl
2014-08-23, 08:57 AM
I see trees bend all the time during a storm or when there's powerful wind. OP obviously hasn't seen an ice storm if they think trees don't bend. They can bend *and* break.

bjoern
2014-08-23, 08:59 AM
I see trees bend all the time during a storm or when there's powerful wind. OP obviously hasn't seen an ice storm if they think trees don't bend. They can bend *and* break.

In the spring my apple trees look like any other tree. But now all the branches are weighed down all the way to the ground and they look more like a bush.

awa
2014-08-23, 09:47 AM
i was afraid the clad and unclad was a bit to easy not certain how to make it less obvious.
I know trees do bend a little but not like say an animal or bush but ill probably drop that line if it causes that much confusion.

edit
wow the answer appearing in the preview is annoying whats the point of spoilers if that's going to happens

EccentricCircle
2014-08-23, 11:11 AM
I think I have mild dyslexia and when I read it the first time my brain saw this and I though a river.

Ooh, i'll have to remember that one for next time I need a riddle. I agree that the last line doesn't work so well for tree, but for river it's great.

Sagitta
2014-08-24, 02:46 PM
i was afraid the clad and unclad was a bit to easy not certain how to make it less obvious.
I am clad in the heat but stand naked in the cold.

I agree with earlier posters that the last line is inconsistent.

I agree that the last line doesn't work so well for tree, but for river it's great.
A river can break ... its banks.

nedz
2014-08-26, 11:41 AM
I had to read it twice, but it was very easy — just from the first three lines. BTW: I am not good at riddles.

Studoku
2014-08-26, 11:58 AM
Took me less than a minute.

Not a bad riddle though.

Segev
2014-08-26, 12:28 PM
Obscure enough to require a few seconds' thought, not too terribly difficult, though, I think.

valadil
2014-08-26, 12:30 PM
Here's my thought process for the riddle:

I dig but have no paws

Oooh, a shovel!

i drink but have no lips

Not a shovel.

i go clad in summer and unclad in winter

Not a shovel.

i will not bend but i can break

Screw this, I'm reading the spoiler.

--

Seems like a reasonable quick riddle. If it's for a decent sized adventuring party someone will probably see it right away.

Lord Torath
2014-08-26, 01:21 PM
A river can break ... its banks.I was going to say that rivers don't break their banks; they burst them, but a quick google search revealed both terms are used.

Prince Raven
2014-08-26, 10:02 PM
Here's my thought process for the riddle:

This was mine:

I dig but have no paws
Worms, snakes, amphisbaenians, bacteria, some fish, digging tool, tree.

I drink but have no lips
Bacteria, tree.

I go clad in summer and unclad in winter

Tree (deciduous).

I will not bend but i can break
[blank]... Tree frozen in liquid nitrogen? Are there trees that can't bend? *google search* No, no there aren't... Eh, I'll just put "unusually brittle tree".

Pex
2014-08-26, 10:12 PM
My answer is a tree.

Sebastrd
2014-08-27, 11:55 AM
My only concern is that, except for the last line, it could refer to any number of plants. Of course, the last line doesn't work for trees either, so...

ORione
2014-08-27, 12:24 PM
My only concern is that, except for the last line, it could refer to any number of plants. Of course, the last line doesn't work for trees either, so...

What plants other than trees lose their leaves in winter?

bjoern
2014-08-27, 12:33 PM
What plants other than trees lose their leaves in winter?

Hundreds of flowers, roses for example. Pretty much any plant with leaves really