PDA

View Full Version : West Private combat Rankings-Door 1

CoreBrute23
2014-08-23, 01:45 AM
IC Thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367345-FAE-Super-Powereds-Freshman-Year-IC-thread&p=17987484#post17987484)

The Combat Cell
Scene Aspects:
Concrete Walls, Unseen Referee

The room you’re entering is a 50ft by 50ft cube, made entirely out of concrete. It’s a sparse room, with no symbols or signs around. Before you can wonder how to know when you will start, an announcer voice begins speaking.
“Combatants, please take your positions.” It’s Professor Ellis’ voice. Glancing at the floor, you see two marks on the floor, each about 10 ft from the opposing wall.
Arthur nods a bit at your words from earlier and takes a breath as the countdown begins.
“3, 2, 1, Go!”
Suddenly Arthur leaps into the air, soaring way over you, performing a front flip.
He is attempting to create an advantage, “High-flying” He’s using his Gymnastic skill at +2.
4d3-8 → [1,3,2,2,-8] = (0) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4616299/
So are you attempting to stop him? You have telekinesis so you could try. Alternatively, he would go up against passive difficulty, which I’ve set at +0, which means High-flying is an advantage with one free invoke.
Whether or not you respond, it's your turn.

Razorstorm
2014-08-24, 02:14 AM
Totally surprised by Arthur's display, Oliver pauses for a moment just watching his geeky friend soar over his head, then he drew on an advanced technique that he learned years ago while getting beat up in school: RUN AWAY!

He runs straight through where Arthur was standing a moment before, then looked over his shoulder at his high-flying opponent. Once he has some space he faces back at Arthur, watching his movements, very closely, reacting to any move he makes to maintain distance between them.

No I will not actively resist Arthur's move. Oliver was just not ready for THAT, not from this guy. Quite unexpected.

Oliver is Quickly Creating an Advantage of Evasive Manuever
4d3-8 → [1,1,2,1,-8] = (-3) +1 Quick = (-2)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617584/

I think I want to propose my next character Aspect to be "You Have to Catch Me First!" which can apply both to physical situations, and getting away with Sneaky ideas.
I'll spend a Fate Point to invoke it now, for a re-roll.

4d3-8 → [1,2,3,3,-8] = (1) +1 Quick = (2)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617611/

Current Fate Points:2
(BTW - I'm tracking this in an Evernote file for Oliver I always have with me.)

Incidentally, I think I want to nail down my last aspect, and tie it to Oliver's major and general level of academia: "Physics, Chemistry, Math, yeah it kinda is like rocket science". I see this being used for knowledge stuff, science-based solutions to problems, and also for justifying cool physics stuff with his Telekinetics.

Finally, is this a totally bare room, or is there anything in it?

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 03:24 AM
Both aspects are fine.

Arthur tries to keep an eye on you for the attack. This is a +0.
4d3-8 → [1,3,3,2,-8] = (1). 1 is not enough, so your advantage is created.

Arthur tries to follow your movements but he can barely keep track of you.

"For a non-speedster, your fast." He yells. He focuses on a point, before adopting a diving position, and starts hurtling towards you.

Arthur attacks, charging/falling straight at you. He has a stunt that triggers:
Come in like a Wrecking ball. When I use my body like a wrecking ball with my gravity powers, I gain +2 to the Attack.
So with his gymnastics at +2, combined with the stunt is a total of +4.
4d3-8 → [1,2,3,1,-8] = (-1) so a total of +3.

It's mostly a completely sparse room. However, if you wanted to, feel free to create an advantage to say it's there like "loose rocks", or some exposed pipes etc.

Razorstorm
2014-08-24, 04:49 AM
As Arthur's mass crashes toward him Oliver feints one way then moves another, trying to fake out the incoming wrecking ball, plus he adds in a very subtle redirection of Arthur's velocity with his TK. Arthur dives to the side, narrowly missing getting totally creamed into the wall, and rolls roughly along the ground. He comes up to his feet raggedly, breathing hard, pulse pounding, and visibly shaken. His eyes go wide as [describe what happens when Arthur presumably crashes into the wall behind where Oliver was standing].

Sneaky Defense
4d3-8 → [3,1,1,1,-8] = (-2) +2 Sneaky + 2 Evasive Manoeuvres free invoke = 2
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617676/
Spent the free invoke I created last round to reduce the stress taken to 1. I've filled my 1 Stress box.

Oliver's eyes move cautiously around the room looking for options. Suddenly, he finds some small pebbles of concrete that were knocked loose when Arthur crashed into the wall! Those he could use.

Carefully Create Advantage, Throwable Pebbles
4d3-8 → [2,2,2,3,-8] = (1) +3 Careful = 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617687/

Oliver
Current Stress: [X] [2] [3]
Current Fate Points: 2

Aspects in Play
Evasive Manoeuvres: No invokes left
Throwable Pebbles: Invokes TBD

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 09:43 AM
Oliver's eyes move cautiously around the room looking for options. Suddenly, he finds some small pebbles of concrete that were knocked loose when Arthur crashed into the wall! Those he could use.

Carefully Create Advantage, Throwable Pebbles
4d3-8 → [2,2,2,3,-8] = (1) +3 Careful = 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617687/

Oliver
Current Stress: [X] [2] [3]

Aspects in Play
Evasive Manoeuvres: No invokes left
Throwable Pebbles: Invokes TBD

Ok, Arthur can't stop you here so I'm setting the difficulty at 0. You have two free invokes on the Throwable pebbles.

Arthur flips into a handstand, before leaping again back in the sky. He's rubbing his head and frowning as he tries to follow your movements.

Arthur doesn't want to miss again. Thus he's trying to do an Overcome action on your evasive maneuvers, and change it to something more useful, such as 'got you right where I want you."

Sadly he gets +0 to do this. Let's find out how he does!
4d3-8 → [3,3,1,2,-8] = (1)
Not bad. So with a +1, you need to defend against that, before he changes evasive maneuvers into a new aspect with a brand new set of invokes for him to use.

Response and then action.
Scene Aspects:

Aspects:
High-flying [Arthur 1 I]
Throwable Pebbles [Oliver 2 I]
Evasive Maneuvers [Oliver 0 I]

GM Fate pool: 1

Razorstorm
2014-08-24, 12:08 PM
Oliver is going to trick Arthur into thinking he's got me right where he wants me, by running briefly in a straight line, but maintain his evasive manoeuvres by suddenly stopping, so he overshoots me.

Sneaky Defense
4d3-8 → [3,2,2,3,-8] = (2) +2 Sneaky = 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617862/
Looks like I succeed with style on my Defense. Does he up his ante with Fate points or Succeed at a Major Cost, and if not, do I get something good (maybe a free invoke again on my Evasive Manoeuvres :smallbiggrin:)?

Skidding to a halt, Oliver reaches out to the pile of pebbles with an outstretched hand and a single stone flies across the room to rest in in the palm of his hand. He held his hand up and took precise aim for a moment as Arthur banked to face him again, and suddenly that single stone was zinging across the room and pegs Arthur right in the head with the force of a sling shot. Oliver's hands clap over his mouth as he cries out, "Oh sh*t! I'm sorry! Are you okay?"

Oliver is using the Throwable Pebbles as justification for a Careful Attack, and spending both free invocations.
4d3-8 → [3,1,2,3,-8] = (1) +3 Careful +4 (double invoke) = 8
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617876/

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 12:23 PM
Nicely done. He won't suceed with major cost. As a reward for succeeding with style, instead of giving you a free invoke, I'll give you a boost instead. Don't look at me like that, if I was rules lawyering you'd get nothing and like it!:smallbiggrin:

Arthur thinks he's got a lock on you, and heads forward. What he gets instead is a face full of stones.

Roll gymnastics to defend at +2
4d3-8 → [3,3,2,1,-8] = (1) So a total of 3. You succeed by 5, he gets taken out.

Arthur can't respond, because suddenly his attack turns into a crash, landing hard on the cement. He'd not conscious.

"Oooh. That's gotta hurt." Ellis is heard over the speaker. "Oliver Wilhelmsen is the winner. Standby for healer." The large door opens behind you, and a female blonde student in a gray uniform comes in. She winces at the sight of Arthur.

"Ooh, he is not going to enjoy waking up." She presses two fingers on his forehead, and turns to you. "Don't worry, he'll be fine. You should grab a drink in the lounge before your next fight." She starts muttering as she works. It almost sounds like she's singing.

Feel free to head to the IC thread whenever you like.

Razorstorm
2014-08-24, 12:36 PM
Nicely done. He won't suceed with major cost. As a reward for succeeding with style, instead of giving you a free invoke, I'll give you a boost instead. Don't look at me like that, if I was rules lawyering you'd get nothing and like it!:smallbiggrin:

I would indeed! No complaints. Not that it really matters, given the resolution.

Oliver scrambles forward to Arthur, and drops to his knees checking on him. When he sees his face he gasps.

"Oooh. That's gotta hurt." Ellis is heard over the speaker. "Oliver Wilhelmsen is the winner. Standby for healer."

Oliver looks up in bewildered confusion. "I, I won? But... aren't I in trouble? Look at his face!"

The large door opens behind you, and a female blonde student in a gray uniform comes in. She winces at the sight of Arthur. "Ooh, he is not going to enjoy waking up." She presses two fingers on his forehead, and turns to you. "Don't worry, he'll be fine. You should grab a drink in the lounge before your next fight." She starts muttering as she works. It almost sounds like she's singing.

Oliver isn't moving from Arthur's side. "Grab a drink?" He responds, flabbergasted. "He's my friend, and and I wrecked his face! Friends don't do that to friends." He sits there breathing for a moment, listening to her sing. "What are you doing?"

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 12:59 PM
Looking at Arthur, you see the black bruise on his forehead, and specks of red blood on his face from several cuts. However as the healer sings, you see the bruise begin to lighten and the cuts close. The healer stops singing and turns to you.

"You don't need to worry.Your friend wasn't badly hurt, and you did not perform anywhere near lethal amounts of force. The front of the forehead is actually the strongest part of the skull-you only knocked him unconscious. Most of the damage came from the crash. I've already healed the small fracture on his skull, and the bruises are child's play." She looks at Arthur. "I do need some quiet to focus my power, to make sure that he doesn't wake up with more than a mile headache. But he should be awake by the time your next match ends." She starts singing softly again.

Razorstorm
2014-08-24, 01:02 PM
Oliver closed his open mouth, realising that she made perfect sense. Obediently he nodded, stood to his feet, and left her too her work, but not before giving his buddy a gentle pat on the leg in silent solidarity. He shuffled out of the room into the lounge.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-25, 06:49 AM
As you walk into the room, you hear hurrying footsteps behind you. A tall apparently chinese man, who despite looking to be in his mid 20s, is wearing a black HCP uniform. He slows to a stride as he comes up to you.

"Sorry, my match just ended when I got the call. Had to run here straight from my combat cell." He offers a hand to shake. "Ben Ng. It's nice to meet you."

"Combatants, please head to your positions." Ben quickly steps to his spot. He starts taking deep breaths, before stopping to wink at you.

"Don't go easy on me for being an old man." He raises his arms in front of him, and bends his legs. Perhaps it's some martial arts form you don't know?

"Begin fighting in 3, 2, 1, Go!"

All your stress is wiped out. Fate points are same as when the previous match ended. (How many do you have currently?)
You decide-do you want to act first, or do you want Ben to act first?
Also I'm gonna let you have the boost from last time for this battle.

Scene Aspects:

Razorstorm
2014-08-25, 10:39 AM
Oliver starts slowly and cautiously circling around and away from the man, putting as much distance as possible between them, without outright retreating. His eyes were locked on the man, his breathing deliberately slow and even, watching for the slightest sign of what he might do.

Oliver goes first, and is Carefully Creating an Advantage on his personal aspect "You have to catch me first!"
4d3-8 → [2,2,2,1,-8] = (-1) +3 Careful +2 Boost = 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4618831/
I'll use up my boost from the last event.

Stress: [1] [2] [3]

Aspects in Play:
You have to catch me first! - 2 invokes

CoreBrute23
2014-08-25, 02:11 PM
He's watching you carefully, trying to figure out what your trying to do. So he's using careful +2.
4d3-8 → [2,2,2,1,-8] = (-1) 1. You succeed with style, your advantage has two invokes.

As you step cautiously, he matches you step for step, all while keeping his arms raised at the same consistent level.

Then you hear a sound. Several sounds. They sound like...buzzing.

Suddenly out of Ben's hands, you see something wiggling...yes there is a bug crawling out of his skin. Two bugs. Multiple bugs. Suddenly a whole series of flying bugs shoot out of his arms right towards you. They circle around you in a huge swarm.

Using Clever +2 to create an advantage, 'Watching your every movement'.His stunt activates now,
Hive Mind. Because I can see through the Hive Mind, I gain +2 to cleverly create an advantage where being able to see from multiple angles or vision types would be useful.
So total +4.
4d3-8 → [1,1,2,3,-8] = (-1) +3 to create advantage. Your move.

Scene Aspects:

Aspects:
"You have to catch me first!" [Oliver 2 I]

Razorstorm
2014-08-25, 05:08 PM
"Holy sh*t!" Olivers screams, swatting his hands frantically as he runs to the side.

Oliver is resisting with Quick.
4d3-8 → [1,1,1,3,-8] = (-2) +1 Quick = (-1)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619233/
I'm not even going to try and boost that with my invokes, since swarming bugs was totally not something he expected.

Oliver is going to start panicking and focus on clearing the bugs. With a scream while he runs, he unleashes a frantic blast of TK energy around him, not his usually very controlled and precise applications. The swarm disperses as if buffeted by intense wind, and Oliver keeps running.

This won't qualify for his stunt, since he's lacking the appropriate aspect.
Forcefully Overcome Ben's aspect of "Watching your every movement"
4d3-8 → [2,3,2,2,-8] = (1) +2 Forceful = 3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619242/
I'll spend one or both of my invokes of "You'll have to catch me first!", whatever's necessary to clear that nasty swarm!

Aspects in Play:
You have to catch me first! - 2 invokes (minus whatever is needed for my above action)

CoreBrute23
2014-08-25, 10:51 PM
Ok, Watching your every movement has 2 free invokes then, since he succeeded by 4.

Resisting your overcome action with I say clever +2, since he's controlling the swarm with his mind:
4d3-8 → [2,1,1,1,-8] = (-3) Reroll that with an invoke of 'eyes watching you'
d3-8 → [3,1,1,2,-8] = (-1) That's a 1. Spend his second invoke to increase it to 3. It's a tie, so you succeed at a minor cost. Do you agree to a minor cost, or will you spend one of your own invokes to make it a definite success? Note even with a minor cost, the swarm (and the advantage) will be wiped completely, the minor cost, whatever it is, will not change that.

Razorstorm
2014-08-26, 01:11 AM
Let's go with minor cost! What do you feel is appropriate?

CoreBrute23
2014-08-26, 02:03 AM
Alright then. A new aspect is on the field State of Panic, no free invokes.

Beating away the swarm of bugs and all your running around has driven you into a State of Panic. Ben frowns and starts sprinting after you. You note he has long strides and moves like someone who exercises frequently, as he tries to catch up to you.

He's using Forceful +3 (facing the problem head on) trying to remove your advantage 'Can't catch me'. 4d3-8+3 → [1,2,3,3,-8,3] = (4) Your move.
Scene Aspects:
Concrete Walls, Unseen Referee, State of Panic [Oliver]

Aspects:

Razorstorm
2014-08-26, 03:00 AM
As fight or flight mode starts taking over Oliver's mind, he gives in fully to flight mode and just runs. Which in a 50 x 50 ft room doesn't get you very far very fast, so it turns into more a frantic circling, but Oliver keeps his distance.

Forcefully resist the Overcome
4d3-8 → [3,3,3,2,-8] = (3) + 2 Forceful = 5
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619688/

The sense of panic started growing, as Oliver felt increasingly trapped in the room with Ben-the-Bug-dude. The air starts tingling with a subtle rumble of telekinetic energy.

Forcefully Create Advantage on State of Panic.
4d3-8 → [1,3,3,1,-8] = (0) +2 Forceful = 2
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619689/
Depending on the resistance, I will happily spend a Fate Point to invoke my trouble, "You really shouldn't make me angry..." to get a +2 if it will make a difference. Just tell me if it's necessary.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-26, 06:35 AM
Your trying to improve Panic right? Difficulty is 0. You now have a free invoke on Panic.

Ben raises an arm as he runs, a new swarm shooting out trying to bite you.

Forceful attack +3.
4d3-8+3 → [2,1,1,2,-8,3] = (1) Spend a fate point to reroll, invoking your aspect Timid Telekinetic Book Worm. As a bookworm, you probably don't have a lot of stamina, so can't keep up the dodging/running.
4d3-8+3 → [1,1,2,2,-8,3] = (1) Now that's just not fair. ;)

Your move.
GM Fate Pool: 0

Scene Aspects:
Concrete Walls, Unseen Referee,

Aspects:
State of Panic [Oliver 1 I]

Razorstorm
2014-08-26, 07:20 AM
The new bugs wash over Oliver and he keeps flailing and screaming, no longer running so much, as his lungs burn with exertion.

Forcefully Defend
4d3-8 → [2,2,3,2,-8] = (1) +2 Forceful = 3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619772/

What's weird is that as he is flailing about, the hum in the air keeps growing. Suddenly, without any apparent guidance or action by Oliver (who is too busy flailing and spitting bugs out of his mouth) a wave of force flings Ben at the nearest wall.

Forceful Attack
4d3-8 → [3,3,1,1,-8] = (0) +2 Forceful +2 Poltergeist stunt +2 Invoke State of Panic = 6
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619783/
Depending on his Defense result, I'm willing to spend a Fate Point to invoke You Really Shouldn't Make Me Angry and add another +2 (total of 8) to push this high enough to inflict a consequence.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-26, 08:22 AM
Defending with Forceful, he's slammed into the wall with now way of seeing the telekinesis coming. Actually a note-is your telekinesis visible? Does it glow some sort of color? Or is it completely invisible? I don't mind which you pick-both have ups and downs.

4d3-8+3 → [3,1,2,2,-8,3] = (3) So you succeed by 3. But you want to inflict a consequence, so I'll take that fate point so you succeed by 5. He takes a moderate consequence, "Bruised back", and marks 1 stress.

Ben goes spinning before crashing hard into the wall. He groans as he struggles up. He winces in clear pain.

The bugs near your back off. They all fly back to Ben, surrounding him. They land on his body, forming a kind of makeshift body armor of bugs. Finally, you can't see any of Ben, only a body made of bugs.
He uses his stunt Body of bugs:
Body of Bugs. Once per session I may cover myself in a Body of Bugs, granting me 2 Armor for the rest of combat.
This however, is not an action. This is his action.

He's not done yet though. The armor around his arms extends, buzzing as it does so, before becoming long and serrated like a praying mantis.

Create Praying Mantis claws with clever +2.
4d3-8+2 → [3,3,1,3,-8,2] = (4)
I spend my lone fate point to offer a compel on your 'State of Panic' aspect. Your too frightened, first from running, then your powers flaring up, now this nightmare from an 8-s horror movie showing up, to even attempt to defend against him creating an advantage. Even subconciously with your telekinesis. If you accept, take a fate point. If you reject, you lose a fate point.

Scene Aspects:
GM Fate pool: 0

Aspects:
State of Panic [Oliver 1 I]
Mantis claws [Ben TBD I]

Razorstorm
2014-08-26, 10:13 AM
I'll take that compel! Yay one fate point to me! That makes up for the point I spent last round. My balance below is up to date.
Regarding my TK powers, they are invisible. But I really like the idea of them being accompanied by a feeling in the air, a seismic disturbance that is almost audible (like a subwoofer), at least when he's throwing around his forceful mojo.

Also note that in the previous round I had spent my one invoke on State of Panic

Oliver's jaw drops as Ben turns into a terrifying 80's horror-flick bug thing, and he let's go with his now familiar battle cry, "HO-LY SH*T!". He starts backing away very slowly, and the air between he and Ben starts thrumming with the un-mistakable air of his fear-fueled Telekinesis, threatening to crack loose at any moment. Oliver, practically hyperventilating, whispers through clenched teeth, "Stay away, please. Please."

Forcefully Creating Advantage to build more invokes on State of Panic.
4d3-8 → [3,1,3,1,-8] = (0) +2 Forceful = 2
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619947/
I'm assuming like last time that's DC 0, so resulting in one free invoke? Updating my current status below based on that assumption.

Aspects in play
You Have to Catch Me First!: 2
State of Panic: 1
Bruised Back consequence: 1

CoreBrute23
2014-08-27, 03:10 AM
Correct. The difficulty is 0, so you succeed with one free invoke.

Ben advances towards you, raising his mantis arms to strike and...stops. He shakes his bug like head.

"This isn't right." He glances upwards. "This child is terrified, he is not in any condition to fight." The bugs part from his face. He kneels in front of you.

"Listen do not be scared,, I'm not going to hurt you." The mantis arms disappear. "see?"

"Listen, just concede the fight, and it'll be over. It's not right for them to throw you into battle when your not ready. Train a bit more, then when your ready we can have a proper battle, worthy of heroes?" He smiles at you encouragingly.

I compel Ben's Aspect, "I do this for Anyanka" for a fate point. He won't attack a terrified child, that's not why he's in the HCP. He even dismisses his aspect Mantis arms, despite it having an invoke remaining.

Now I spend the fate point to compel your 'state of panic' aspect, to surrender the match. This counts as conceding, so not only do you get the fate point from me, but you also get a fate point for conceding. If you refuse, you need to pay a fate point.

Regardless of your choice, it's your move. Even though compels aren't an action, he won't act until you do.

Razorstorm
2014-08-27, 02:42 PM
Oh man... Here are character defining moments...
I refuse the compel. Take my Fate Point. New balance reflected below.

Oliver looks up at Ben from down on his knees. He hangs his head. Slowly, he forces his breath to come back under control. He rubs his face with his hands and looks up again, and slowly rises to his feet with a giant sigh. "No," He said deliberately. "No, I need to do this. I can finish this. Thank you for the moment to get my sh*t together. That was just... dang man, that is some scary stuff." He took one more deep, smooth breath. "I can do it. And it's okay if I lose. But I don't want to just fold, not like that. But thank you. You're a good dude." He extends a hand to shake in friendship.

I relinquish my invokes on State of Panic, and propose the aspect is gone.

Then he steps back. Shaking his head, "I'm probably going to regret this, but go ahead. Bring it." He held up both hands in a "bring it here" gesture. "Go ahead, with the... mantis thingies. Let's finish this."

Careful Create Advantage for an aspect of New-found Determination
4d3-8 → [3,3,3,2,-8] = (3) +3 Careful = 6
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4621380/

And with that, he is waits for Ben to make a move. He is ready for action.

Current Fate Points: 1 (grumble grumble grumble)

Aspects in play
You Have to Catch Me First!: 2
New-Found Determination: TBD

CoreBrute23
2014-08-28, 01:17 AM
I'm setting the difficulty of that at what your panic rating was, so a +2 difficulty. You succeed with style, so two invokes.

Ben shakes your hand. "That's very brave of you." He smiles and stands up as you do. Then he lunges forward, snapping his leg around yours to bring you down.

Creating advantage 'Pinned and grappled' with Forceful +3:
4d3-8+3 → [1,3,2,2,-8,3] = (3)
Spend the fatepoint you just gave me to invoke his aspect, "Ex-Singapore Military" for a +2, for a total of +5.

Scene Aspects:
Aspects in play
You Have to Catch Me First!: 2 [Oliver]
New-Found Determination: 2 [Oliver]
Pinned and Grapple: TBD

[B]Ben Ng:

GM fate pool: 1

Razorstorm
2014-08-28, 04:27 AM
Quick Resist
4d3-8 → [2,1,3,1,-8] = (-1) + 1 Quick +2 Holy Sh*t! stunt = 2
I'm going to dump both of my invokes from You Have to Catch Me First! for a +4 for a total of 6.

While an leg sweep wasn't quite what Oliver was expecting, a forward lunge certainly was. Oliver dove to the side, narrowly avoiding Ben's manoeuvre. "Ack!" He skittered away as fast as he could. He looked around the room, trying to find anything that might be useful.

Careful Create Advantage for scenic aspect Hanging Light Fixtures.
4d3-8 → [2,3,1,1,-8] = (-1) +3 Careful = 2
I'm going to assume that's at least good enough to establish the aspect? I'm hoping to use it to make Careful attacks in future rounds. That is... if Ben doesn't shut me down this next round...

Then he noticed something, the lighting fixtures in this room were hanging, where they'd been recessed in the previous room. They dangled by a cord. Several of these fixtures hung from the ceiling at even intervals around the room.

Current Fate Points: 1

Aspects in play
New-Found Determination: 2
Hanging Light Fixtures: TBD

CoreBrute23
2014-08-28, 02:35 PM
That's fine with me. In the future, if you want to declare something that makes sense is in the room, you can spend a fate point and declare it's there without a roll.

I set the difficulty at +0, you succeed with one invoke.

Ben raises an arm, and some of the bugs on his arm shoot out straight at you. While some are batted away, others get close enough to try and bite you.

Trying to inflict an 'itchy bug bite' condition on you. Careful +2, because he's made sure none of the bug's poison is fatal or too dangerous.
4d3-8+2 → [2,1,1,1,-8,2] = (-1) Spend a fate point to reroll that, invoking 'Mature Bug Conjuring Freshman'
4d3-8+2 → [3,2,2,3,-8,2] = (4) Better. Your move.

Razorstorm
2014-08-28, 04:45 PM
I know that's an option, but I really didn't want to spend my last Fate Point. Figured, I'd take my chance with the dice, and spending an action.

Oliver almost panics as the bugs swarm him, but he digs deep and stays focused.
Carefully resist
4d3-8 → [2,1,2,3,-8] = (0) +3 Careful = 3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4622729/
The bugs bite Oliver, and he takes it.

While the bugs bite Oliver, he grits his teeth through the itchy, stinging pain. He extends his arm up toward a lighting fixture mostly above Ben, and pulls. The hanging power cord snaps with a spark, and the lighting fixture sails down at a not-quite-natural angle to crash into Ben just right from above.

4d3-8 → [2,2,3,2,-8] = (1) +3 Careful = 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4622734/
I'll burn one of my invokes on New-found Determination and my invoke on his Bruised Back for +4 for a total value of 8.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-29, 07:39 AM
Clever +2, seeing you raise your arm at the light means he might be able to put two and two together that he should try to move. But is he fast enough?
4d3-8+2 → [3,2,2,1,-8,2] = (2) He takes 6 damage. His armor 2 reduces it to 4 shifts. He takes a mild consequence 'seeing stars' and marks his second stress box.

Ben notes your hand movement, and tries to roll out of the way. However the pain in his back causes him to be slow, forcing him to take a glancing blow on the noggin.

He struggles to stand. He swings his hand at you, but is way too far to reach you. At least that's until you hear the buzzing. Turning, you see the swarm of bugs coming at you have clumped together and resemble a large hammer.

Forceful attack +3
4d3-8+3 → [3,3,1,2,-8,3] = (4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4623481/)
Spend my invoke on 'Itchy bug bite advantage' to add +2 for a total of +6.

Scene Aspects:
Aspects in play
You Have to Catch Me First!: 0 [Oliver]
New-Found Determination: 1 [Oliver]
Itchy Bug bite: 0 [Ben]

Ben Ng:
Mild Consequence: Seeing stars [1 Invoke]
Moderate Consequence: Bruised Back [0 Invoke]

GM fate pool: 0

Razorstorm
2014-08-29, 02:47 PM
Quick Defense
4d3-8 → [1,2,1,3,-8] = (-1) +1 Quick +2 Holy Sh*t! stunt = 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4623916/
Oliver fills in his 2 Stress box

Oliver tries to duck under the bug hammer but gets clipped on the shoulder for his troubles, driving him to one knee. From that crouched position, he drives tosses a low wave of force at Ben's shins, ready to take his legs out form underneath him.

Forceful Attack
4d3-8 → [3,1,3,3,-8] = (2) +2 Forceful +2 Seeing Stars
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4623928/
I want to take him out, or let him concede here. I'll stack on my invoke from New-Found Determination if needed.

Current Fate Points: 1
Stress: [1] [X] [3]

Aspects in play
Bruised Back consequence: 0
Seeing Stars consequence: 0
New-Found Determination: 1
Hanging Light Fixtures: 1 - Note that I never spent the invoke, I just used the aspect to justify a Careful Attack (unless you decide that doing so uses up this invoke...?)

CoreBrute23
2014-09-01, 06:17 AM
Ben Forcefully Defends at +3.
4d3-8 → [1,1,2,2,-8] = (-2) so +1. Armor 2 reduces your shifts to 3, so that would mean he's still up...except you spent your newfound determination invoke, meaning you have taken him out.

Ben goes flying as you knock his shins out from under him. He struggles to get up, but then yelps in pain.

"Aah." He tries to get up again but just winces. Sighing he lies down. "I concede." He smirks at you. "Dang teenagers with your young bones." The door opens and the blonde, grey uniformed healer who had healed Arthur hurries in. She turns and smiles at you.

"Your keeping me busy today aren't you?" She kneels down next to Ben, and presses a hand on his back gently. "Tell me where the pain is."

"Oh it's mostly concentrated on my everywhere." He responded.

Razorstorm
2014-09-01, 06:40 AM
Oliver comes and kneels down next to Ben. "Hey man... thank you. I'm glad to know I can be training with dudes like you." He reaches out and gives Ben's hand a squeeze. "This world needs hero's like you." Then he nods to the healer, "Thank you" he says, and leaves the room.

Razorstorm
2014-09-23, 04:57 PM
Oliver makes his way into the room, his breathing calm and steady.

tyranus
2014-09-24, 08:37 PM
kai walked into the first door to see oliver standing on the other side of the room.

CoreBrute23
2014-09-26, 09:59 AM
kai walked into the first door to see oliver standing on the other side of the room.

How does Kai feel internally about the other students booing him, vilifying him? After all, he came to the school because he wanted to be a hero-is he not bothered by what others think, does he believe he's perhaps gone too far with his tactics? This isn't a compel or anything.

The combat cell seems to have been completely restored to it's original state-there are no signs of any previous damage from prior fights.

Professor Hamilton voice is heard from the unseen speakers.

"Kai Roman, Oliver Wilhelmsen are you both ready?" When she gets indiciation that you are, she states, "Combat testing starts in 3, 2, 1...Go!"

Scene Aspects:
Pristine concrete Walls, Unseen Referee, The favor of the audience [Oliver's side]*

I rolled in invisible castle, Kai you got first move. Go on. Also, you may choose your third stunt if you so wish.

You guys may post and respond to each other without my input. However at the end of each round (after both of you attack), you must stop so I can let you know if the situation changes. Go until one of you concedes, or is stressed out.

This scene aspect represents the encouragement you got or did not get from the audience. You may spend plot points to invoke it to gain a bonus, representing you feel support from the audience, when the audience is on your side. You may also invoke it to compel the opponent if the audience is not on their side-making them angry or upset. I'm sure you guys can get creative with this, maybe change the audience's opinion too.

tyranus
2014-09-27, 02:32 PM
"shall we then?"kai said a small grin plastered on his face.kai was no stranger to being disliked,if he could handle it at home he sure as hell could deal with it now,that however did not mean that he looked forward to some of the situations it usually entailed.
kai walked forwards and to the left angling himself so that oliver's back was more or less facing the corner
kai trys to create the advantage "ive got you where i want"roll=+2,+3clever,total=+5
fatepool=2

sorry bout the late response ive been really busy lately

as for my third stunt id like to have my character get some gear(armor, maybe a bow) obliviously thats not going to fit with the story line right now.so save it for later?

Razorstorm
2014-10-01, 01:52 PM
Oliver slowly circles in response to Kai, not responding, trying very hard to keep his distance. Unfortunately, that's exactly what Kai wanted him to do...

Careful Defence
4d3-8 → [2,2,3,1,-8] = (0) +3 Careful = 3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4664321/
You get your aspect

Oliver tries to fake out Kai, by thrusting out with his right hand, in a jabbing action, but actually projecting a telekinetic strike coming in the from the left side in a swipe (basically faking a hook with a jab).

Sneaky Attack
4d3-8 → [1,1,2,2,-8] = (-2) +2 Sneaky = 0
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4664326/
Yeah... that was about as good as I expected...

tyranus
2014-10-06, 02:59 PM
roll=-1,+3clever,+2stunt,total=+4
The second(more like minutes) Kai saw Oliver make the beginning of an obvious offensive gesture,he was moving to the left he did not increase his speed however taking a calculated risk under the presumption that Oliver's tk attack most likely would not hit him when he was not occupying the the focused upon area.he was proved right moments later

roll=+1,+3clever,total=4,kai trys to create the advantage "got you on your back-step"
kai closed in with oliver and whipped his belt forward in a series of arcing attacks.his purpose for this was to get oliver moving towards the corner not specifically to harm him in any way.kai already had the angle he just needed to corral oliver in.

ive been trying to use invisiblecastle for a while now but i can never get the confirmation email, i realize i could just do it without registering but its just so much more convenient to use a fate die app,so thats what im sticking with

Razorstorm
2014-10-06, 03:34 PM
Oliver picked up the pace, skittering off to the side.

Quick Defence
4d3-8 → [1,3,3,3,-8] = (2) +1 Quick +2 "Oh Sh!t" stunt = 5
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4670463/
Stopped you this time!

Oliver holds his hands out as if taking a grip on a large basketball. Kai might notice some slow but firm tendrils of force starting to take hold on him.

Carefully Create Advantage to create aspect Telekinetic Grip
4d3-8 → [3,2,1,3,-8] = (1) +3 Careful = 4
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4670470/