PDA

View Full Version : West Private combat Rankings-Door 5

CoreBrute23
2014-08-23, 02:23 AM
IC Thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367345-FAE-Super-Powereds-Freshman-Year-IC-thread&p=17987484#post17987484)
The Combat Cell
Scene Aspects:
Concrete Walls, Unseen Referee
The room you’re entering is a 50ft by 50ft cube, made entirely out of concrete. It’s a sparse room, with no symbols or signs around. Felix started walking with purpose, before a voice started speaking.
“Combatants, please take your positions.” It’s Professor Ellis’ voice. Glancing at the floor, you see two marks on the floor, each about 10 ft from the opposing wall. Felix is already standing at one.
“Are you going to take all day?” He asks.
Once your in position, he holds his chin and looks you up and down.
“You have 2 minutes 47 seconds before your probability of defeating me is reduced to 0.” He states as if it’s like a fact, rather than as a taunt.
“3, 2, 1, Go!”
“I’d hurry if I were you.”
Felix is creating an advantage, “2 minutes 47 seconds.” This is a kind of psyching you out. He’s using his clever of +3. How are you defending?
4d3-8 → [1,3,3,3,-8] = (2)
Total is +5.
Your action.

Bunny of Faith
2014-08-24, 03:53 AM
Dylan meandered in at his own pace, coming to a halt at his mark. "If that's the time you need to make this fight fair, I'm happy to sit around and wait. Why don't we just stand and talk for a bit? If I've got that long, might as well."
"So, what do you do?" Dylan makes no attempt to move, standing with his arms by his side and smiling at Felix.

4d3-8 → [2,3,2,3,-8] = (2) Defending with Clever, invoking my high concept of 'Super' Manipulative University Student to get to a +6 if that's alright.

4d3-8 → [1,3,3,3,-8] = (2) I'd like to Sneakily (+3) create an advantage on Felix using Dylan's power, something along the lines of "Passive", "Lazy", or if that's already the case then "Sluggish" or "Tired" sound fair? Something of that sort. I don't think we ever fully decided but I'm assuming it's still okay to have no visible signs of power use.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 10:02 AM
Yeah Passive is fine. Rolling with Careful at +2 (he's more aware of changes in his mood than most students)
4d3-8 → [2,2,1,3,-8] = (0) so a total of +2. You've created the advantage Passive, with two free invokes, since you succeeded with style (passed by 3 or more).

Felix sighs and shrugs. You can feel with your power his already reduced urge to fight diminishing even further.

"It wasn't a chance to make the fight fair. This fight was never going to be fair from the start." He walks to a wall and slouches against it. "I mean, nothing in life is ever really fair, is it?"

You feel some strange changes in his mind-hormones similar to adrenaline seem to start flooding his mind, even though he isn't physically active. The urge to attack is getting stronger.

He's 'subconsciously' attempting to overcome Passive with his Forceful of +1.
4d3-8 → [1,2,2,1,-8] = (-2) so a total of -1.
Since he's fighting your power, you can choose to defend instead of relying on the difficulty alone. However the current difficulty is +4 because of the two invokes, so he just fails. Note, this doesn't use up your invokes.

It's your action.

Scene Aspects:
Concrete Walls, Unseen Referee

Aspects:
"Passive" on Felix [Dylan 2 I]

GM Fate pool: 2

Bunny of Faith
2014-08-24, 11:14 AM
"Yeah, I know what you mean. I've not really had the easiest life myself. Where're you from? Maybe we have some things in common." Dylan continues to smile at the other boy, maintaining a fairly casual stance.

All my rolls after this fight are going to be terrible to compensate. :smalleek:
Attempting to put Felix to sleep using his power, so just inflicting lethargy upon him.
4d3-8 → [3,2,3,3,-8] = (3) - Sneakily(+3) attack Felix, invoking 'Passive' on him, I think for a total of 8? I figure Sneakily is fair game but if you'd prefer I do it as Forceful that's fine too.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 11:38 AM
Ah, your knocking him out. Your a smart cookie you know that? Sneaky is acceptable.

Using Careful to defend at +2.
4d3-8 → [2,3,3,3,-8] = (3) So 5. So you succeed with style, inflicting 3 shifts of stress on him. Since you succeeded with style, you may reduce the number of shifts by 1, to gain a boost. Your call-but either way he's not taken out yet.

He frowns and nods. "Tallahassee. Lived with my dad. My dad..." He slumps down against the wall, cross legged. "works there. He was so excited when I got powers. Wanted me to j-just be a hero." He yawned.

As you try and put him under, the pressure from his hormones is getting stronger.

Trying to overcome the Passive advantage, with a Forceful of 2. Yes you read that correctly. It was 1 before. Now it's 2. This is not a retcon.

4d3-8 → [1,1,2,3,-8] = (-1) Total 1. Dang it, I'm spending two fate points. One to use his aspect, "I feel my grey matter slipping away" and one to activate his other one, "Are you happy with me now Father?" to increase the total to +5.

You can either not fight against this, which means he beats the 'passive' difficulty of Passive which is +2, succeeding with style OR you can roll against it, hoping to beat 5. You only get the passive difficulty bonus if you spend the invoke.

After your response, remember to add the 2 fate points I spent to your pool.

Bunny of Faith
2014-08-24, 12:02 PM
Nah, I'll leave it at 3 shifts. And going to forcefully defend against it!
4d3-8 → [1,2,2,3,-8] = (0) +2 Forceful, I guess I can invoke 'Passive' itself in this case too. And I'm going to invoke my Trouble "But just making them agree is so much easier..." for another +2. +6 all in all!

Dylan stops smiling, a look of irritation creeping onto his face as he feels Felix's resistance growing. "Not so similar, then. My dad never really cared about me, though I guess that was mostly my own fault."

Let's try this again!
4d3-8 → [2,1,1,1,-8] = (-3) Attacking sneakily at 0. Mmmh, assuming Passive stays on, I'm going to invoke it for a fate point and reroll.
4d3-8 → [2,2,3,1,-8] = (0) Sneakily (+3) to attack. So that's a 3. If I can, because I'm not sure it counts as the same roll, I'd like to blow another fate point to add Passive to this roll to make it +5.

My Fate Points should be at 1 from that, 2 if Passive isn't allowed on the last roll.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 12:43 PM
Yeah passive is still around, even though there are no invokes on it.

In regards to your action, you can't spend fate points twice on the same aspect in an action, so you can't choose passive twice, even if one's a reroll and the other's a +2. Thankfully, you have 'Super' Manipulative University Student" to spend a fate point to invoke for the same effect, so I'll assume you do that, making your total +5.

Felix laughs. "Care? Oh he cared. He cared about his name, he cared about his legacy, he cared about his reputation. But he didn't give two sh*ts about me." You notice it's taking considerable more effort to keep his urge to fight down, while maintaining a conversation.

Now rolling Forceful 2 against your attack. He's getting pumped talking about his father.
4d3-8 → [2,1,3,3,-8] = (1) so a total of +3. You deal 2 shifts of stress on him, ticking another stress box. But not knocked out yet.

Felix starts grunting, gnashing his teeth a bit. You didn't notice before, because you were trying to force him to sleep, but his skin tight suit is now showing a lot more muscle than before. Heck, his neck seems to have more muscles than you do.

Now rolling a Forceful 3 (still not a retcon*) to overcome Passive, which now has an innate defense of +0.
4d3-8 → [3,2,3,1,-8] = (1) So a +4 total. If however, your defense is higher than a 4, I will spend a fate point to invoke 'Are you happy with me now Father?' for +2. If your result is higher than a 6, I will spend a fate point to invoke, "I feel my grey matter slipping away". If it's higher than 8, I won't spend any more fate points, and Passive stays.
If it's a tie, I won't spend fate points to change. I'll succeed at minor cost. What is that cost you may ask? Well you better hope I tie then. :smallwink:

You've been patient. Here's what's been going on. Felix has a stunt which has been altering his forceful approach. Check it out:
Meet Fix. When combat begins, at the end of each of your actions, step Clever approach down by 1, and Forceful up by +1. Continue this until Clever is at +0. You may spend a fate point to immediately switch the two's starting values.
GM Fatepool: 3/2/1

Bunny of Faith
2014-08-24, 01:21 PM
That stunt. :smalleek: If not for the fact it totally wouldn't fit, I need something like that!

4d3-8 → [1,1,3,2,-8] = (-1) Rerolling that with Passive, I didn't need fate points anyway!
4d3-8 → [1,1,3,2,-8] = (-1) *headdesks* Forcefully(+2) defending, so I get a +1. I think he overcomes with style, if that does anything. :smallfrown:

Doesn't sound like a nice man. Mine wasn't either, though I did have another guy who took over a bit after a while. Did a slightly better job." Dylan steps backwards hurriedly, trying to get some space between himself and Felix.
4d3-8 → [1,1,3,2,-8] = (-1) Sneakily(+3) attacking again using his power, +2.
Fate Points = 0
Semi-relatedly, while I like the current stunt I have, I'm coming up a little on a blank on how to get the best use out of it. Any suggestions on if it'd be usable now, and how so? :smalltongue:

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 01:52 PM
Glad you like the stunt. In regards to your own, since your stunt revolves around compelling your opponent's aspects, how about your second stunt is based around discovering those aspects?
e.g. Because I Know what people want I gain +2 to cleverly discover or create aspects about a person's secret desires or fears when interacting with them face to face.

Thus first you discover [which works the same as create, except I get to state what the aspect actually is] a useful aspect like, "Recovering Alcoholic" or "I want Johnny to ask me to the summer dance" you can use your free compel to force them to act in a certain way related to it. Such as, having a drink or announcing his love for Johnny out loud.

In regards to if it's usable now, well yes it is. You know two of his aspects, since I announced them when I spent fate points invoking them. "My grey matter is slipping" and "Are you happy now father?" You could compel those for free, perhaps even to make him concede. The problem is:

a) Justification. You would need to explain how you would convince him (with your power of course) to concede, or run into a wall knocking himself out.

b) I've got 5 fate points now. I will probably reject your compel by spending a fate point. It doesn't cost you anything, but your stunt is once per session, and maybe you want to hold onto it for an enemy with no fate points to resist.

If you want a more combat effective stunt, maybe turn that lethargy/sleep power a sneaky stunt with a +2 to do so?
Succeeding with style on an overcome grants a boost. I've put it in bold below.
Felix roars, standing up and shaking his arms, his Repressed Fury Unbound.

Forceful +3 defend against sleepy time.
4d3-8 → [1,3,1,3,-8] = (0) +3 total, a success for me!

Felix starts running towards you, moving incredibly fast.

Felix (or Fix as he now prefers to be called) is about to attack you. However, I want to offer you, the player, the option to concede. If you concede now, you get 1 fate point. For the concession, all I want is for Dylan to be knocked out of the HCP rankings. He can be beaten unconcious, or he can surrender out loud, however you, the player chooses. This is a way to avoid consequences, and get a fate point.

Alternatively you may decide to stick out the attack. Maybe I roll poorly? Maybe you want to take some consequences, so when you do concede, you'll get more fate points. But your currently out of fate points, so it'll be hard to meet my total if I roll badly. Although maybe that's the point.

Maybe you want to burn me of my fate points by taking consequences, so if you loose, the 5 fate points aren't added to the group total. And if you do concede later, you get more fate points for each consequence you took.

Maybe you want to stick around, try your luck, cause you intend to take a more combat focused stunt immediately, and put Felix to sleep at last. He has marked stress boxes 2 and 3. He only has 3 stress boxes in total. Maybe you can do beat him.

It's your call. What do you do?

Bunny of Faith
2014-08-24, 02:17 PM
Nopenopenopenope, I'll concede. I want to see this guy smash some faces in, though. :smalltongue:
Dylan flinches at the roar, watching with horror as Felix begins running towards him. He shouts, "Stop! I concede!" continuing to pace backwards away from the other boy.

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 02:26 PM
Gonna assume you mean you want to see Felix smash, other people's faces in. Your at fatepoint 1, I'm at 5.

As Felix runs towards a loud voice on the speaker announces,

"STOP!" Felix doesn't seem concerned, but at the last moment, he flips over you, landing neatly behind you. He turns and winks at you.

"Felix Stammos will be advancing to the next round." The door opened, although no healer came running. Felix growls and points at the door. It seems he wants you to go first.

Bunny of Faith
2014-08-24, 02:37 PM
Yeah, not my face. Everyone elses!
Dylan looks rather panic-stricken as Felix continues his charge, breathing a sigh of relief as he lands behind him. He turns, stepping backwards with a frown. "Cutting it a little close, aren't we?"

He rolls his eyes, walking over to the door with a shrug. "Good match, I think."

CoreBrute23
2014-08-24, 02:42 PM
"Fix had fun." Felix states, following after you with a lopsided grin. "You bad at fighting. Good at talking." He notes, as you walk through the door.

OOC: Continue this conversation in the IC thread please.