PDA

View Full Version : Asteron's Crazy Train of Thoughts. Because I love to talk. A lot.

Philemonite
2014-08-23, 05:06 AM
As the title say, I love to talk, and sometimes I can even listen.:smallbiggrin:
But the real reason I made this thread is because my OOC thread tend to go in very weird directions, and some players are having a hard time following with all the interruptions. Also, it's a great way to get some feedback on my homebrew, before I actually post it in the homebrew section. This is also the best way to get my attention, if you need me for something.

factotum
2014-08-23, 06:02 AM
There's already a perfectly good Random Banter thread?

Philemonite
2014-08-23, 06:10 AM
There's already a perfectly good Random Banter thread?

So?:smallconfused:

Asta Kask
2014-08-23, 06:25 AM
So... it's a nice thread you have here. Be a shame if something happened to it...

It will cause a lot of confusion.

Philemonite
2014-08-23, 06:38 AM
So... it's a nice thread you have here. Be a shame if something happened to it...

It will cause a lot of confusion.

I changed the title.:smallbiggrin:

Kioku
2014-08-23, 10:51 AM
Remember that 15/35 initiative you said you liked? I needed something to do, so...

18 20 22 24 26 28 30
36* 40* 44* 48* 52* 56* 60*
19 25 31 37* 43* 47* 55*
37* 45* 53* 26 34 40* 50*
20 30 40* 50* 60* 33 45*
38* 50* 27 39* 51* 61* 40*
21 35* 49* 32 42* 54* 35*
39* Rep 36* 56* 33 47* Rep
22 . 23 45* 59* 40*
40* . 45* 34 50* 33
ObPt . 32 58* 41* 61*
. . 54* 47* 32 54*
. . 19 36* 58* 47*
. . 41* 25 49* 40*
. . 28 49* 31 RepSec
. . 50* 38* 57*
. . 37* 27 48*
. . 24 51* 30
. . 46* 40* 56*
. . 33 29 47*
. . 55* 53* 38*
. . 42* 42* 29
. . 29 31 55*
. . 51* 55* 46*
. . 38* 44* 37*
. . 25 33 28
. . 47* 57* 54*
. . 34 46* 45*
. . 56* 35* 36*
. . 43* Rep 27
. . 30 . 53*
. . 52* . 44*
. . 39* . 35*
. . 26 . Rep
. . 48*
. . 35*
. . Rep

18: 19 turns per 36
20: 4 turns per 7
22: 22 turns per 36
24: 20 turns per 29
26: 24 turns per 33
28: 3 turns, then 4 per 5.
30: 6 turns per 7

Philemonite
2014-08-23, 10:57 AM
You really were bored.:smallamused:

Apparently, it's not significant. Maybe a lover base, something around 12?

Kioku
2014-08-23, 11:00 AM
You really were bored.:smallamused:

No no, a lover base would be 6. What you want there is a Hanged Man base.
Yes, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...

Philemonite
2014-08-23, 11:02 AM
Yes, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...

That's what happens when you rush.:smallbiggrin:

Kioku
2014-08-23, 11:07 AM
I'm glad you did though! I've been waiting for a chance to use that line or similar. :smallbiggrin:

Philemonite
2014-08-23, 11:27 AM
I am glad I am entertaining.:smallbiggrin:

So, here's what I have for Wild Arms

Sky Medium
Primary Attribute-Intelligence
Original Commands:
-Blast-Deals Magical Elemental Damage
-Power-Boosts Magical Damage
Force Abilities:
-Mana Recover-Recovers own MP
-Extension-Extends one single target attack to all enemies. Doubles MP cost.
Personal Skills:
-Exploit Weakness-Multiply damage by 1.5 when hitting elemental weakness
-Mana Regan-Recover extra MP every round

Sea Medium
Primary Attribute-Wisdom
Original Commands:
-Heal-Recover HP
-Magic Guard-Adds Wisdom to MD
Force Abilities:
-Mana Gift-Recovers one ally's MP
-Magic Defender-Intercepts Magical attack aimed at an ally.
Personal Skills:
-Critical HP Interrupt-When an ally is reduced to 10% HP or less you can immediately cast a Heal spell.
-Mana Regan-Recover extra MP every round

Sword Medium
Primary Attribute-Strength
Original Commands:
-Crush-Deals Physical Elemental Damage
-Might-Boosts Physical Damage
Force Abilities:
-Penetrator-Negate PD for one attack
-Sonic Vision-Maximizes damage for one attack
Personal Skills:
-Health Regan-Recover HP every round
-Blood Sacrifice-50% OC cost is payed using HP instead of MP.

Mountain Medium
Primary Attribute-Vitality
Original Commands:
-Guard-Adds Vitality to PD
-Protect-Boosts PD/MD
Force Abilities:
-Defender-Intercepts Physical attack aimed at an ally.
-Extension-Extends one single target support spell to all allies. Double MP cost.
Personal Skills:
-Auto Guard-10% chance to guard after attacking
-Health Regan-Recover HP every round

Luck Medium
Primary Attribute-Agility
Original Commands:
-Swift-Adds 1/2 Agility to PR/MR
-Quick-Boosts PR/MR
Force Abilities:
-Turn Shift-Gives turn to one ally
-Second Chance-Gives a second chance to evade an attack (Enemy rolls attack again)
Personal Skills:
-Initiative Boost-Boosts combat initiative
-Auto Swift-10% chance to activate Swift after attacking

Moon Medium
Primary Attribute-Willpower
Original Commands:
-Curse-Reduces one enemy's PAE/MAE
-Fragile-Reduces one enemy's PD/MD
Force Abilities:
-Ailment Resistance-Negates one ailment attack
-Enchant-Switches two target's elemental enchantment
Personal Skills:
-Clarity-50% chance to negate debuff
-Purity-Reduces duration of ailments

Coidzor
2014-08-23, 05:17 PM
I'm glad you did though! I've been waiting for a chance to use that line or similar. :smallbiggrin:

It was a good one The rest of it was a bit Greek to me, though.

Xhosant
2014-08-23, 05:27 PM

This brings tears to my eyes... I am so moved...

I dunno, greek aren't tougher than german, for example. Then again, I gave up on the later...

Know what, Asteron? You get an .exe for your agi simulations :smallbiggrin: ...as soon as I can reach my pc, that is.

Philemonite
2014-08-24, 02:04 AM

That means you need to play more Persona 3.:smallbiggrin:

Crow
2014-08-24, 03:17 AM
???????????????????????

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 04:34 AM
Ooh, interesting! Grandia had one of the most interesting combat systems I've seen. Dunno how well it would translate to PnP though, so good luck!

Using the 15/35 system (you get 15+Agility initiative points each round and every 35 points accumulated give you a turn) cancel effect can reduce the current amount of initiative points, double if the target was supposed to get a turn this round. Sticking to the initiative order might be a bit slow for a PbP, but it's doable.

It makes sense to me, but I'm not objective.:smallbiggrin:

banthesun
2014-08-25, 04:57 AM
I was also thinking in terms of positioning (though Grandia never really nailed that). Your current system doesn't really have much that could be affected by positioning, but maybe you could implement small things like intercepting from the back row taking 5 initiative points (or just make all minor actions require initiative).

Also, what happens when two characters have the same initiative score in a round? It seems like it could be a big issue if cancels are involved.

Xhosant
2014-08-25, 05:01 AM
So you guys don't say I never deliver: Init-Simulator.exe (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0s78mla39a6q13/Init-Simulator.exe?dl=0)!

For clarity's sake, '12/35' is treated as 'base 12, cost 35'. So you don't get confused when asked to enter it :smalltongue:

It runs the simulation for AGI 3 to 10, executing 100 'counts' (the 'increase pool by initiative' bit), prints out on which count you got a turn, and how many turns you got across 100 counts.

What do you think, boss?

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 05:08 AM
I was also thinking in terms of positioning (though Grandia never really nailed that). Your current system doesn't really have much that could be affected by positioning, but maybe you could implement small things like intercepting from the back row taking 5 initiative points (or just make all minor actions require initiative).

I was thinking about the positioning, but I still don't have anything solid. I was thinking about some kind of a grid, but definitely not a standard one. I remember that Grandia 3 (and I think Extreme and 2 did it too) allowed you to reposition your characters. It wasn't really useful, but I might be able to implement it. It would also open up various ranges that Grandia has, like (line, fan, around).

Also, what happens when two characters have the same initiative score in a round? It seems like it could be a big issue if cancels are involved.

I usually say PCs have the advantage, but if it's really that important they both roll a d20 and highest number wins.

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 05:11 AM
So you guys don't say I never deliver: Init-Simulator.exe (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0s78mla39a6q13/Init-Simulator.exe?dl=0)!

For clarity's sake, '12/35' is treated as 'base 12, cost 35'. So you don't get confused when asked to enter it :smalltongue:

It runs the simulation for AGI 3 to 10, executing 100 'counts' (the 'increase pool by initiative' bit), prints out on which count you got a turn, and how many turns you got across 100 counts.

What do you think, boss?

I say I have no idea how to use it.:smallconfused:

Xhosant
2014-08-25, 05:18 AM
I say I have no idea how to use it.:smallconfused:

Ok, download it.

Run the executable (double click).

Type in the numbers needed, then enter (in a 12/35 scheme, the first number is 12, the second is 35).

Read the numbers that appear.

Press enter again to close the program.

It isn't that complex :smallbiggrin:

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 05:23 AM
Ok, download it.

Run the executable (double click).

Type in the numbers needed, then enter (in a 12/35 scheme, the first number is 12, the second is 35).

Read the numbers that appear.

Press enter again to close the program.

It isn't that complex :smallbiggrin:

I was typing 15/35, instead of 15 35.:smallredface:

Yes, I don't know anything about programing beyond moding Baldur's Gate 2.

Xhosant
2014-08-25, 05:26 AM
I was typing 15/35, instead of 15 35.:smallredface:

Yes, I don't know anything about programing beyond moding Baldur's Gate 2.

Honestly, I don't even know that, and if I was any better I could make the program take '12/35' :smallredface:

(also, to avoid confusion: you need 'enter' between 15 and 35)

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 05:28 AM

Actually, you don't.:smalltongue:

Xhosant
2014-08-25, 05:30 AM
Actually, you don't.:smalltongue:

I sure as hell didn't program it that way, and it works...

DAMN BUGS HURT MY HEAD!

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 05:34 AM

Maybe it's sentient?:smalleek:

Looking at the results, I think a higher gap would be better, making turns come less often. This is especially important for Grandia's cancel effect. Perhaps something like 12/40.
Initiative points are doubled on the first turn, to avoid an empty turn(s) at the start.

banthesun
2014-08-25, 05:39 AM
I was thinking about the positioning, but I still don't have anything solid. I was thinking about some kind of a grid, but definitely not a standard one. I remember that Grandia 3 (and I think Extreme and 2 did it too) allowed you to reposition your characters. It wasn't really useful, but I might be able to implement it. It would also open up various ranges that Grandia has, like (line, fan, around).

I usually say PCs have the advantage, but if it's really that important they both roll a d20 and highest number wins.

I've only played the first Grandia, so I can't really comment that much, I guess

DAMN BUGS HURT MY HEAD!

Mind mentioning what language you wrote this in?

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 05:48 AM
I've only played the first Grandia, so I can't really comment that much, I guess

I was thinking of splitting the battlefield in areas instead of single positions. With no friendly fire it could work pretty well. I think.

Asta Kask
2014-08-25, 06:11 AM

It is the Black Speech of Mordor, which may yet be heard in every corner of the West.

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 06:14 AM
It is the Black Speech of Mordor, which may yet be heard in every corner of the West.

If it isn't one of my favorite cat lovers in the playground.:smallbiggrin:
Haven't seen you(r posts) in a while, at least in the LGBTAI+ thread.

Xhosant
2014-08-25, 07:05 AM
Maybe it's sentient?:smalleek:

Well, I can see why it does it. It has 2 numbers waiting on screen, and is told to take 1 after every request it prints out. The number it takes is old, but it's there.

But, it's still rather crazy :smalltongue:

C++. Hardly. :smallsigh:

banthesun
2014-08-25, 07:43 AM
Honestly, I don't even know that, and if I was any better I could make the program take '12/35' :smallredface:

Well, I can see why it does it. It has 2 numbers waiting on screen, and is told to take 1 after every request it prints out. The number it takes is old, but it's there.

But, it's still rather crazy :smalltongue:

C++. Hardly. :smallsigh:

My C++ is pretty basic/rusty, but I think

scanf("%d/%d", &base, &cost);
works for scanning two variables with a slash between them (didn't test it on my end).

As for why it takes two ints with a space between them, well, that's something useful to know. I'm sure it could cause some pretty crazy bugs in more complicated programs if missed! :smalleek:

Xhosant
2014-08-25, 07:56 AM
My C++ is pretty basic/rusty, but I think

scanf("%d/%d", &base, &cost);
works for scanning two variables with a slash between them (didn't test it on my end).

As for why it takes two ints with a space between them, well, that's something useful to know. I'm sure it could cause some pretty crazy bugs in more complicated programs if missed! :smalleek:

Yup, that's the bit I couldn't bother to think up alright :smallbiggrin:

I guess it's the same logic as '/' above, it's an irrelevant character and it gets ignored.

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 09:05 AM
In the spirit of keeping it simple I was thinking about a 5x5 grid. Each space can be occupied by multiple combatants. Moving to an adjacent field cost as much as half of an action. That will make area attacks really easy to use, especially fan.
t
C t t
t
This idea just keeps getting better.:smallamused:

I was thinking of making classes weapon based. Axe users will have Vitality as their primary, while sword user are Strength based. This is much better then my initial Magician/Warrior/Adventurer/Ranger idea.

Kioku
2014-08-25, 09:12 AM
I was thinking of making classes weapon based. Axe users will have Vitality as their primary, while sword user are Strength based. This is much better then my initial Magician/Warrior/Adventurer/Ranger idea.

Isn't that a little backward from how they work though? Axes are largely treated as mass weapons rather than bladed weapons in terms of functionality, and strength is very important to their use. Swords, on the other hand, are a weapon with which you're much more likely to have a long, drawn-out battle that requires endurance to keep up in.

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 09:19 AM
Isn't that a little backward from how they work though? Axes are largely treated as mass weapons rather than bladed weapons in terms of functionality, and strength is very important to their use. Swords, on the other hand, are a weapon with which you're much more likely to have a long, drawn-out battle that requires endurance to keep up in.

Sword user (Justin, Ryudo, Evann, Brandol, Yuki...) were usually oriented toward physical offense, which is based on strength in Generica.
Axe users (Mareg, Ulk) were usually very tough, having great physical (and in Ulk's case magical) defense and huge HP pool, and that translates to Vitality.

Kioku
2014-08-25, 09:25 AM
I haven't the slightest clue who any of those are, so I'll take your word for it. I forgot for a moment that this was mainly for converting VG RPGs to P&P. XD

Philemonite
2014-08-25, 09:30 AM
I haven't the slightest clue who any of those are, so I'll take your word for it. I forgot for a moment that this was mainly for converting VG RPGs to P&P. XD

The classes are specifically for Grandia (http://grandia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) series. Here's what I was thinking:

Strength-Sword
Vitality-Axe
Agility-Dagger(s)
Intelligence-Rod
Wisdom-Staff
Willpower-Mace

Grandia also has some weird weapons (chakram, chain, cards, whip) but I will stick with this 6 and expand later.

Asta Kask
2014-08-26, 08:39 AM
Found a pretty boy for Asteron

http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Labyrinth.jpg

Philemonite
2014-08-26, 08:41 AM
Not really my type.:smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2014-08-26, 08:58 AM
What's your type?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/mortis45/FreddyInSpace3/heman.jpg

:smallbiggrin:

Philemonite
2014-08-26, 09:07 AM
Definitely better.:smallwink:

Philemonite
2014-08-26, 01:52 PM
Here's a question for all those who love math.

I am probably going with 12/40 initiative. That means that you add 12+Agility(3-10) points to your initiative every round, and a standard action costs you 40 points.
Magic is used with relatively standard MP system.
Specials are used by expanding SP that is recovered every turn.
Basic damage dealing special costs 6SP.
Warrior types, the ones that use specials the most, recover 3 SP every turn. This is increased by 0.2 for every level.
Unless your Agility is 9 or 10 you won't have more then one turn every two rounds. With 3SP per round you will have enough SP to use your basic special every time you get a turn. If you factor in movement(costs less initiative points then a standard action), IP damage, occasional magic use, level bonus and equipment bonus you will have some SP left over for an occasional big attack.
And that brings me to my question, is my math correct, or did I forget something?

Xhosant
2014-08-26, 06:32 PM
Specials are used by expanding SP that is recovered every turn.

By that, you mean 'every time I get to play', not 'every time I add initiatives', right? Otherwise, agility-types can kiss the game goodbye.

Otherwise, though notably insane and convoluted as it is, it looks alright.

Odd idea, what if hitting 40 didn't mean 'your turn' but 'you can buy a turn'? As in, 'or you can keep skipping till you have 120 and pull 3 turns straight'?

Odd, isn't it?

JBPuffin
2014-08-26, 06:44 PM
By that, you mean 'every time I get to play', not 'every time I add initiatives', right? Otherwise, agility-types can kiss the game goodbye.

Odd idea, what if hitting 40 didn't mean 'your turn' but 'you can buy a turn'? As in, 'or you can keep skipping till you have 120 and pull 3 turns straight'?

Odd, isn't it?

Adding strategy, are we? This sounds like fun to me :smallsmile:.

Also, yay, more Generica, this time for something that could swiftly be turned into Fire Emblem! Really need to start hacking my own thing-a-majigs, just because I get free time every other week. Prepare for broadening of horizons!

banthesun
2014-08-26, 11:57 PM
Not really my type.:smallbiggrin:

I'm confused. There's people who don't think Bowie is incredibly sexy?

Odd, isn't it?

Depending on how damage scales, recovering SP every round could be a good balancing system. High strength low speed characters would automatically be compensated for their low attack rate, but once a movement system and cancels are introduced high speed characters would have more kiting options. The question for Asteron would be whether attack speed should be a factor in damage per round.

Philemonite
2014-08-27, 02:27 AM
By that, you mean 'every time I get to play', not 'every time I add initiatives', right?

That's supposed to be every round, so every time you add initiative.

Otherwise, agility-types can kiss the game goodbye.

Why?

Odd, isn't it?

Turn delay is OK, but multiple actions per round is a big no. It would pretty much destroy game flow.

Adding strategy, are we? This sounds like fun to me :smallsmile:.

Also, yay, more Generica, this time for something that could swiftly be turned into Fire Emblem! Really need to start hacking my own thing-a-majigs, just because I get free time every other week. Prepare for broadening of horizons!

Haven't done anything fire emblem based.:smallamused:

Basic for Generica 2.0 are done, I'm just finishing the numbers.

Too old for me.:smallwink:

Depending on how damage scales, recovering SP every round could be a good balancing system. High strength low speed characters would automatically be compensated for their low attack rate, but once a movement system and cancels are introduced high speed characters would have more kiting options. The question for Asteron would be whether attack speed should be a factor in damage per round.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, running the numbers. I might have the alpha version ready in a week.

golentan
2014-08-27, 03:25 AM

Too 80s. The man is a walking reminder of the-decade-that-I-have-tried-so-hard-to-forget-but-no-amount-of-therapy-or-alcohol-can-scrub-the-horrid-stain-from-my-mind.

That's what I actually call it. It sometimes drastically slows conversations about music.

Asta Kask
2014-08-27, 03:30 AM
Too old for me.:smallwink:

And Dolph Lundgren is not? Ok, there's a ten-year old gap but still...

Philemonite
2014-08-27, 03:40 AM
Too 80s. The man is a walking reminder of the-decade-that-I-have-tried-so-hard-to-forget-but-no-amount-of-therapy-or-alcohol-can-scrub-the-horrid-stain-from-my-mind.

That's what I actually call it. It sometimes drastically slows conversations about music.

Have you thought about shortening it?:smallconfused:

And Dolph Lundgren is not? Ok, there's a ten-year old gap but still...

He is now.:smallwink:

I actually go for something like this:

http://www.in4s.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Aleksandar-Sapic.jpg

Asta Kask
2014-08-27, 03:48 AM
Angela Barnes

https://www.edfringe.com/uploads/event/_2014ANGELAB_PI.jpg

*sigh*

Philemonite
2014-08-27, 03:52 AM
Angela Barnes

*sigh*

Is that some kind of pop culture references?:smallconfused:

Asta Kask
2014-08-27, 04:01 AM
She's a British stand-up comedian. She's funny, smart, talented and beautiful. I'm such a fanboy.

Philemonite
2014-08-27, 04:11 AM
Well, good luck with that.:smallbiggrin:

Xhosant
2014-08-27, 11:39 AM
Why?

Because they get significantly less resources to use per turn, and have paid in full for the extra turns. Basically, they build Agi for the extra turns, at the price of Str (output per turn, or some other equally important stat), keeping them balanced. If they get a shortage of Str (damage) AND SP (meaningful attacks), that puts them at a disadvantage.

Basically, they pay 'half stats' for double turns, if those turns get half fuel, they've paid 'half' their stats for two half-turns.

Philemonite
2014-08-27, 11:51 AM
Because they get significantly less resources to use per turn, and have paid in full for the extra turns. Basically, they build Agi for the extra turns, at the price of Str (output per turn, or some other equally important stat), keeping them balanced. If they get a shortage of Str (damage) AND SP (meaningful attacks), that puts them at a disadvantage.

Basically, they pay 'half stats' for double turns, if those turns get half fuel, they've paid 'half' their stats for two half-turns.

Dagger wielders (speedsters) get 4 skill books, while Sword/Axe/Mace (STR/VIT/WIL) get 3 and Staff/Rod (WIS/INT) get 2. They are compensated for they slightly lower SP recovery.
Also, AGI affects evasion both physical and magical evasion, it is not only used to build initiative.

Asta Kask
2014-08-27, 11:59 AM
Well, good luck with that.:smallbiggrin:

Well, I can dream.

Philemonite
2014-08-27, 12:08 PM
Well, I can dream.

And I support your dream 100% Even if she is a girl.:smallwink:

Asta Kask
2014-08-27, 12:10 PM
Well, at least we're not competing. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

Asta Kask
2014-08-29, 05:45 AM
https://utterinsanity.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-pictures-schrodinger-does-an-experiment-with-a-tube-and-kittens.jpg?w=600&h=448

Philemonite
2014-08-29, 05:50 AM
Kittens, my one weakness.:smallbiggrin:

Philemonite
2014-08-29, 07:19 AM
Magic system for Generica 2.0 is finished, yay for me.:smallbiggrin:

The only two big things left to finish are skills (that are going to be hell to balance) and archetypes (which are mostly finish). I also need to polish a few things, but that's minor.

Asta Kask
2014-08-29, 09:18 AM
Generica 2.0?

There are no relaxation technique that compares to sleeping next to a purring cat for two hours.

Philemonite
2014-08-29, 09:29 AM
Generica 2.0?

I am working on a new version of my tabletop system, designed for JRPGs. Original version, adapted for Shin Megami Tensei can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?335439). Version 2.0 is currently in development, using Grandia as a base.

There are no relaxation technique that compares to sleeping next to a purring cat for two hours.

My neighbor's cat (a yard cat, also a mother of my cats) moved her month old kittens into my shed.:smallbiggrin:
We are planing an evacuation, since she can't stay there, but we are afraid that she will move them further away if we return them to the neighbor's yard.

Asta Kask
2014-08-29, 10:16 AM
I am working on a new version of my tabletop system, designed for JRPGs. Original version, adapted for Shin Megami Tensei can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?335439). Version 2.0 is currently in development, using Grandia as a base.

That's interesting. I tend to gravitate towards GURPS for everything. I'm currently preparing a campaign which might collapse under the weight of the optional rules. :smalleek:

Septimus Faber
2014-08-31, 11:55 AM
That's interesting. I tend to gravitate towards GURPS for everything. I'm currently preparing a campaign which might collapse under the weight of the optional rules. :smalleek:

Oh, my friend, I feel your pain. Those first-time GURPS players who manage to create a character who is infinitesimally unlikely not to score a headshot on anything she shoots at...:smallmad:

Asta Kask
2014-08-31, 11:59 AM
Eh. The rule of 0 is much stronger in GURPS. It's my duty to say 'no' in an increasingly louder voice. Even if that forces a character re-design.

Philemonite
2014-08-31, 12:03 PM
I never played GURPS. I don't know why, I never actually read the rules, I just have a feeling that I won't like it.:smallconfused:

In another news, Generica 2.0 is here!!!!!!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

I mean here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369434).

Septimus Faber
2014-09-01, 03:53 AM
Eh. The rule of 0 is much stronger in GURPS. It's my duty to say 'no' in an increasingly louder voice. Even if that forces a character re-design.

I know that. Thing is, I barely had any coherent campaign planned anyway, so I just winged it and threw things at the players, and it was so much fun watching her mow down every enemy that came at her with a snapshot using a no-scoped sniper rifle that I didn't object. I did later. But not at the time.

banthesun
2014-09-01, 06:05 AM
My only GURPS experience was with four players who'd never roleplayed before, and the gamemaster as the only person who knew the system. I thought it'd be funny making a character based on Kamina from Gurren Lagann.

Turns out the other players were:

A "sexy cat-man" with a crippling fear of water. We were on a boat. He promptly climbed the mast and refused to come down for any reason, despite being the most competent character in the party.

A hipster bicycle merchant, who's player had missed the rules limiting the number of advantages and disadvantages, causing him to make the character so lucky nothing could hurt him, but with so many vows he couldn't do anything at all.

A martial artist who knew every technique under the sun, but lacked the ability to actually hit with any of them.

A pyromancer, who by wild chance had turned out to have a really powerful build, but who's player was so bored by the magic system all she ever did was set herself on fire and punch people.

The GM tried to run it straight...

We haven't played GURPS again...