PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Feat Advice

ColossusCrusher
2014-08-23, 08:14 AM
So I'm concepting up an Artificer for fun and was just wondering if I could get some feedback or alternative suggestions on my feat choices. I'm aiming for a Buffer first and Blaster second, especially since the Metamagic Item Infusion means I can use Persist Spell without burning seven charges a cast. :smalltongue:

So without further ado, here's what I've got:

Bonus Feats (in order taken):

4: Extend Spell
8: Quicken Spell
12: Chain Spell
16: Extra Rings
20: Craft Construct

Normal Feats:

Human: Legendary Artisan
1: Extraordinary Artisan
3: Etch Schema
6: Persistent Spell
9: Reach Spell
12: Point Blank Shot
15: Precise Shot
18: Searing Spell

Thanks for taking the time to take a look and maybe help me out. I appreciate it. :smallsmile:

Sian
2014-08-23, 08:40 AM
feats are taken before class features (Players Handbook p58), so you won't qualify for Legendary Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan as you at the time of taking them, doesn't have an item creation feat

ColossusCrusher
2014-08-23, 08:44 AM
Huh. I never noticed that rule - we've always used "most beneficial order" in our games, and we're all pretty relaxed about problems caused by hard RAW that can be easily circumvented, so it probably wouldn't come up. Thanks for the catch though, I'll make sure to keep it in mind.

bjoern
2014-08-23, 08:44 AM
feats are taken before class features (Players Handbook p58), so you won't qualify for Legendary Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan as you at the time of taking them, doesn't have an item creation feat

Take a flaw or two to get the feats you need before level 1.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-23, 08:51 AM

By that interpretation you can't take most feats at first level. It's a checklist, not a hard rule. Or at least that's how it's handled with every group i've played in.

On topic: Etch Schema requires CL 10. If you want to blast take a look at Wand Mastery (ECS) and the Cannith Wand Adept (S:CoT) to get a little more bang for your buck. There's also the feat Enhance Item (ELH) that lets you use your own ability modifier instead of the minimum.
Also, Magic of Faerun has gems as optional components for wands that increase either CL or save DC by +1-2 for 1000gp/5000gp. Since the cost is fixed it's a cheaper boost for higher level wands than crafting with a higher CL.

Sian
2014-08-23, 09:03 AM
By that interpretation you can't take most feats at first level. It's a checklist, not a hard rule. Or at least that's how it's handled with every group i've played in.

it only stops you from taking feats that depends on class features, and availability of spells ... BAB and such (which is the one i'd guess you aiming towards) are gained before gaining feats