PDA

View Full Version : Ability Scores Bonuses Remix

HorridElemental
2014-08-23, 09:14 AM
Totally dropping all ability score bonuses from race. Background and Class should have more to do with your body/mind than how gifted you are from birth.

I was born with great genetics for athletics but I went into the sciences and well... Now I would be lucky to run a 1/8 mile without dying but my mind is pretty darn sharp when dealing with items in my field (random note: was not an English major and I'm not in that field haha).

Background: +1 for a choice of two ability scores.

Class: +2 to your primary stat.

Class and background ability scores do not stack.

When you pick a class at first level you gain a +2 in one of the primary ability scores. This bonus does not stack with the ability score bonus from Backgrounds. You gain all other proficiency from classes as normal.

Barbarian: Strength or Dexterity
Bard: Charisma or Intelligence
Cleric: Wisdom
Druid: Wisdom
Fighter: Strength or Dexterity
Monk: Dexterity or Wisdom
Paladin: Charisma or Strength
Ranger: Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom
Rogue: Dexterity or Intelligence
Sorcerer: Charisma
Warlock: Charisma
Wizard: Intelligence

Bonus: Anyone may choose constitution in place of their class option.

When you pick a background at first level you gain a +1 in one of the primary abilities for the background. This bonus does not stack with the ability score bonus from class. You gain all the other proficiencies and features of the background you select.

Acolyte: Wisdom or Intelligence
Charlatan: Charisma or Intelligence
Criminal: Dexterity or Intelligence
Entertainer: Charisma or Dexterity
Folk Hero: Wisdom or Charisma
Guild Artisan: Intelligence or Charisma
Hermit: Wisdom or Strength
Noble: Intelligence or Charisma
Outlander: Strength or Dexterity
Sage: Intelligence or Wisdom
Sailor: Strength or Wisdom
Soldier: Strength or Dexterity
Urchin: Dexterity or Wisdom

Bonus: Anyone may choose constitution in place of one of their background ability score bonuses.

Most of this was made from memory of what backgrounds are focused toward and may need to be changed.

With this races can be created to have flavorful and awesome abilities without worrying about being unbalanced due to ability score bonuses (dwarf with Str Con? Way too good for some classes and horrible for others).

This remix allows people to make their character without being stuck in cliche builds (Halfling rogue, half orc fighter, gnome wizard) and allows for any combination without being penalized. Let your imagination sooooar.

HorridElemental
2014-08-23, 09:16 AM
Example characters

Vlaad the Gnome EK Fighter Sage
+2 Strength, +1 Intelligence

Toni the Half-Orc Abjuration Wizard Sailor
+2 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom

Sidmen
2014-08-23, 09:22 AM
Alternatively, you could just let your players assign their +2/+1 bonuses to whatever they feel like regardless of Race, Class, or Background; or allow a higher point buy and ignore the racial bonuses altogether.

I, personally, see very little reason to limit it by class/background when it can be employed to give a character more flavor otherwise. Sure, powergamers will want that +2 to go into their primary stat, but I know at least half my group would rather it bolster a random quirk of their character - like the Sage Sorcerer who likes to think he's a body builder in his spare time.

Arzanyos
2014-08-23, 09:29 AM
Why are their no options to boost constitution this way?

Chaosvii7
2014-08-23, 09:48 AM
My current solution is to make every race grant a +1 bonus to two ability scores and each class grant a +1 to the ability scores of their saving throws(except Fighter, which can choose STR or DEX for one of their +1s). Mountain Dwarves gaining medium armor proficiency seems strong enough to me, so I can't say I'm repentant about turning their +2 STR into a +1. With this, everybody can get the 16 that they often need for their primary abilities while still being able to specialize.

I remember way back in the day the playtests had ability score bonuses by class and people apparently voted that one down.

HorridElemental
2014-08-23, 12:49 PM
Alternatively, you could just let your players assign their +2/+1 bonuses to whatever they feel like regardless of Race, Class, or Background; or allow a higher point buy and ignore the racial bonuses altogether.

I, personally, see very little reason to limit it by class/background when it can be employed to give a character more flavor otherwise. Sure, powergamers will want that +2 to go into their primary stat, but I know at least half my group would rather it bolster a random quirk of their character - like the Sage Sorcerer who likes to think he's a body builder in his spare time.

To me, it isn't about power gaming but about being competent at what you are doing and showing that your job/class/background actually effect your character outside of what abilities you can perform... Like... A pitcher gains the class feature "curve ball" and "fast ball" but because they are a pitcher they gain strength and dexterity due to using their class features "curve ball" and "fast ball".

Why are their no options to boost constitution this way?

There is.

"Bonus: Anyone may choose constitution in place of their class option."

and

"Bonus: Anyone may choose constitution in place of one of their background ability score bonuses."

My current solution is to make every race grant a +1 bonus to two ability scores and each class grant a +1 to the ability scores of their saving throws(except Fighter, which can choose STR or DEX for one of their +1s). Mountain Dwarves gaining medium armor proficiency seems strong enough to me, so I can't say I'm repentant about turning their +2 STR into a +1. With this, everybody can get the 16 that they often need for their primary abilities while still being able to specialize.

I remember way back in the day the playtests had ability score bonuses by class and people apparently voted that one down.

I know way to many people that were sad to see the class ability scores gone.

I feel like keeping races as the only thing to adjust ability scores was one of those golden cows that they didn't want to mess with.

TheOOB
2014-08-23, 09:59 PM
How is gaining stat boosts for backgrounds/starting class any different from assigning ability scores by points? If I want my fighter to have an academic background, I'll throw some points into INT.

HorridElemental
2014-08-23, 10:09 PM
How is gaining stat boosts for backgrounds/starting class any different from assigning ability scores by points? If I want my fighter to have an academic background, I'll throw some points into INT.

What are you talking about? I'm not proposing that we get rid of point buy or whatever.

Or are you saying that only starting ability scores should matter and there shouldn't be any influence from how the person grew up and what they do as a profession?

Also, point buy shows what you naturally have for abilities. This can include many things. Two people can have the same ability scores starting off... But as they age and grow their backgrounds and jobs will set them apart. Two humans will essentially start at the same point but due to life choices end up at different finish lines.

da_chicken
2014-08-23, 10:15 PM
Personally, I always felt like ability score assignment reflected what your character did growing up plus his natural talent. Are you a Fighter who put a 15 is Str and a 14 in Con? It's because you grew up training your body to be strong and tough. Otherwise you'd have 10s straight down the line like a Commoner.