PDA

View Full Version : What books might I like to rebuy for 5th edition?

Dornith
2014-08-23, 11:44 AM
I recently started playing D&D a few years ago, and since then, have been DMing a group of 3.5 players, all noobies.

I have the PHB, DMG, MM(I & II), and the spell compendium. I like 3.5 over all but I will admit it has some serious problems (the usual gripes). While I don't know if 5e fixes these, I have heard of some interesting concepts they added and I'm interested in getting those books.

My question is this: What books would I realistically need?

For example, I feel like things like the DMG would be redundant since I have the 3.5 version and I don't think much of it would be system-specific.

TheSethGrey
2014-08-23, 11:48 AM
I recently started playing D&D a few years ago, and since then, have been DMing a group of 3.5 players, all noobies.

I have the PHB, DMG, MM(I & II), and the spell compendium. I like 3.5 over all but I will admit it has some serious problems (the usual gripes). While I don't know if 5e fixes these, I have heard of some interesting concepts they added and I'm interested in getting those books.

My question is this: What books would I realistically need?

For example, I feel like things like the DMG would be redundant since I have the 3.5 version and I don't think much of it would be system-specific.

Player's Handbook, and then I suppose the Monster Manual if you're serious about making a switch.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-23, 11:48 AM
Everything will be system-specific. You can't use your third edition DMG and MM to play 5e.

The DMG is going to feature system-specific optional rules, advice and so forth. As well as probably magic items. The MM will contain monster stats, which you'll need unless you want to stick with the tiny selection in the adventures and PHB.

Dornith
2014-08-23, 11:51 AM
Everything will be system-specific. You can't use your third edition DMG and MM to play 5e.

Could you give an example of how the DMG would be different? I remember reading it and seeing mostly "Make sublte changes to give the sense of a fuller world" and "try changing the battlefield to make combat more interesting," and stuff like that which wouldn't really change (I don't think).

Edit: nvm

Yorrin
2014-08-23, 12:31 PM
The main thing about the new DMG is it's the equivalent of DMG+Unearthed Arcana. So lots of cool optional rules. Personally, I'probably not going to buy it even though I DM a lot, just because I do have a couple of editions worth of DMing experience. That being said, some of the things in it (such as Death domain and Blackguards) are making me reconsider, because having those options for my players will be nice.

TheSethGrey
2014-08-23, 12:33 PM
The main thing about the new DMG is it's the equivalent of DMG+Unearthed Arcana. So lots of cool optional rules. Personally, I'probably not going to buy it even though I DM a lot, just because I do have a couple of editions worth of DMing experience. That being said, some of the things in it (such as Death domain and Blackguards) are making me reconsider, because having those options for my players will be nice.

What about Magic Items? There's a lack of any in the PHB and only a few in online supplements, that alone seems like a worth while investment.

Dornith
2014-08-23, 12:52 PM
What about Magic Items? There's a lack of any in the PHB and only a few in online supplements, that alone seems like a worth while investment.

I don't know how different magic items are in 5e from 3.5, but it seems like one could use the 3.5 magic items for that.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-23, 01:03 PM
No, you really can't just port stuff over from 3.5 and expect it to work. It's a different game.

TheSethGrey
2014-08-23, 01:07 PM
I don't know how different magic items are in 5e from 3.5, but it seems like one could use the 3.5 magic items for that.

I don't think a +5 long sword will work at all considering the major changes to AC scaling.

rlc
2014-08-23, 01:13 PM
if i remember correctly, magic items are being capped at +3.
but, while the artifacts in the starter set weren't particularly strong, some of them were pretty nice for a beginning party, so i'm thinking that magic items will be pretty strong this time around, just like the feats are.

Yorrin
2014-08-23, 01:18 PM

Another potential reason to buy the DMG, but given the few we've seen so far I feel pretty confident in my ability to homebrew stuff that's balanced. Once again, a newer DM who feels less confident generating content specific to their campaign will probably want to grab it.

Theodoxus
2014-08-23, 01:19 PM
I don't think a +5 long sword will work at all considering the major changes to AC scaling.

I think +5 armor would be more breaking... you'd never be threatened by anything again. A +5 sword trivializes combat, +5 plate makes it irrelevant.

@Yuki - out of the box, you're correct - but with sufficient system mastery and time to convert, any 3.5 concept - from class to combat to skill interaction can be reskinned to 5e.

TheSethGrey
2014-08-23, 01:22 PM
I think +5 armor would be more breaking... you'd never be threatened by anything again. A +5 sword trivializes combat, +5 plate makes it irrelevant.

@Yuki - out of the box, you're correct - but with sufficient system mastery and time to convert, any 3.5 concept - from class to combat to skill interaction can be reskinned to 5e.

Depends on if you're willing to put in the time and the effort. I spent a week converting one of my favorite 3.5 classes to 5e and I am still working on it to make sure everything is balanced, that being said it is possible, but is the time worth it when you can spend some cash and have the books with material made and ready?

Elderand
2014-08-23, 01:23 PM

Which would be a major redesign in most if not all cases.

Simply plug and play 3.5 stuff in 5th is not gonna work.

This isn't like grups or other game were a new edition may mostly be reprinting stuff with clarification and slight fixes. Editions changes in dnd have mostly major overhauls if not completely different game with only the most superficial similarities between them.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-23, 05:03 PM

How do you expect to master the system with incomplete access to the system's rules?

Thrudd
2014-08-23, 07:16 PM
Everyone has said it already, 5e is a completely different game from 3.5e, it isn't just a "fix" or an update. You need at least the three core books (PHB, DMG, MM) to play 5e. Since only the PHB has been released so far, we don't know exactly what will be in the other books yet nor exactly what is different from the older editions (but we can guess, based on the playtests and the PHB).

You just need to decide which edition you want to play, and use the appropriate books. Yes, you could borrow some ideas from one edition and convert them over to the other, but it will take some work. They are not immediately compatible.

rlc
2014-08-23, 07:48 PM
to be fair, magic items are one of the easiest things to make if you know a little bit about the system, even if you don't have any books and just looked up some stuff on the internet. but, those are probably the least of your worries anyway.
the three core books are definitely system specific and you'll want to have all of them if you plan to do a lot with the new edition. but if you just want to try it, then you should probably just get the starter set.

TheOOB
2014-08-23, 09:50 PM
The question isn't what you should rebuy, but what you should buy. Someone in the group needs the PHB, and DMG, and the MM. Some/all of the other players would benefit from having at least the PHB. Extra supplements are optional.

pwykersotz
2014-08-24, 10:34 AM
I agree with the above, the PHB is pretty much mandatory for the class spread alone. However, I think that's all you need, depending on your level of mastery. A sufficiently adept DM could use the free content that has been released and the PHB to convert monsters over or create new subclasses, etc. It would probably have a different feel than pure 5e, but it could be done.

T.G. Oskar
2014-08-24, 11:02 AM

The DM Basic Rules have examples for a few magic items, and they work a bit differently.

For example: some items have to be attuned to in order to be used. The ones that easily come to mind? Stat-boosters.

Speaking of stat-boosters: they no longer grant a +X to a stat, but turn your stat into what you're looking for. So far, there's only three: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Amulet of Health, Headband of Intellect. All turn your stat into 19, rather than boost the item.

Wands also have less uses, but aren't always destroyed upon using the last charge, and they actually recharge. Each day, you get somewhere like 1d6+1 uses, and if you use the last charge, you have a 5% or so chance that the wand becomes useless; otherwise, it's merely discharged. That makes for better use of wands, particularly when spells are slightly more powerful. Not sure about the specific wording of wands, though.

As mentioned, weapons and armor are limited to +3 (so far) and there are no rules about how to stack weapon enhancements (or armor enhancements) to the weapon and determine its rarity. Oh, I almost forgot: there is rarity now (Common -> Uncommon -> Rare -> Legendary -> Artifact), since magic items aren't purchased or sold anymore, with some exceptions (Potions are one; I also recall Scrolls were another, to our chagrin).

Other items got massive changes. Nearly all rings require attunement, but that could change. The Goggles of Night, the Boots of Striding and Springing and the Gloves of Swimming and Climbing are also there, just in case you're curious.

In any case, it may end up that the "translation" from one side to another won't make much sense. Think of something like the Cloak of Elvenkind: will it work like the Gloves of Swimming and Climbing (a flat bonus to the check) or will it grant Advantage? What will be the rarity of, say, a Robe of the Archmagi, and what will be its powers? What about the items that Control Elementals? What about Rods, of which nothing is known so far? Trying to use the 3.5 (or even the 4e) DMG won't really help you save money; getting the DM Basic Rules might (it's supposed to complement the Player's Basic Rules, and together allow you to play the game at your liking), but the DMG will most likely override your changes.

The best way to put it is: if you don't want to spend money and just want a quick and short 5e game, use the Basic Rules (they're free!) and the web supplements. If you're willing to fork for the game, might as well spend the money for at least the three books. There will be information regarding new backgrounds and items periodically on the Web, so that's as free as it can get. Some of the information will eventually become redundant, but the Horde of the Dragon Queen supplement has monsters and magic items ready to use, and some of them haven't appeared in the DM Basic Rules yet.

jamesb
2014-08-24, 11:20 AM
Someone asked about changes in MM. The biggest one that comes to mind is having only had 3 saving rolls, there's now ability saving rolls. So supernatural attacks might have to be changed to a charisma check rather than will in some cases? It'd come down to balancing the six so they are equally useful.

They'll likely come out with some conversion of legacy systems again or reprint them for the new edition.