PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape rules question

BlueBiscuit
2014-08-23, 01:34 PM
So I was lurking around when I saw something that made me pause.

Apparently the general understanding here is when a druid wildshapes he takes the animal hp on top of his own, while the way I read it, he gets just the animal hit points while he wildshapes, and when reduced to zero he goes back to his own, with possible damage bleedover.

Am I wrong? Is the druid even stronger than I thought?

Callin
2014-08-23, 01:39 PM
Thats the way I understand it as well.

hymer
2014-08-23, 01:39 PM
So I was lurking around when I saw something that made me pause.

Apparently the general understanding here is when a druid wildshapes he takes the animal hp on top of his own, while the way I read it, he gets just the animal hit points while he wildshapes, and when reduced to zero he goes back to his own, with possible damage bleedover.

Am I wrong? Is the druid even stronger than I thought?

Yeah, you're wrong. :smallsmile: I CBA to quote the whole thing, but it's clear that losing your wild shape's hp causes you to revert to your normal form, with whatever hp you had before you wild shaped (minus any that carries over from reducing your shape to 0 hp).

Callin
2014-08-23, 01:42 PM
Yeah, you're wrong. :smallsmile: I CBA to quote the whole thing, but it's clear that losing your wild shape's hp causes you to revert to your normal form, with whatever hp you had before you wild shaped (minus any that carries over from reducing your shape to 0 hp).

Thats what he was saying. If you turn into a black bear. Your HPs become 19. If you take 21pts of damage you drop out of wild shape and take 3 points of damage off of your normal HPs.

rlc
2014-08-23, 01:43 PM

okay, but that doesn't answer the question at all and instead just repeats what he said.

BlueBiscuit
2014-08-23, 01:44 PM
Here's the passage that makes me doubt:

When you transform, you assume the beast’s hit
points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal
form, you return to the number o f hit points you had
before you transformed. However, if you revert as a
result o f dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage
carries over to your normal form. For example, if you
take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit
point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as
the excess damage doesn’t reduce your normal form
to 0 hit points, you aren’t knocked unconscious.

It's the "assume" that get's me, unless my understanding of the meaning of the word is flawed (which it very well could be).

hymer
2014-08-23, 01:44 PM
Thats what he was saying. If you turn into a black bear. Your HPs become 19. If you take 21pts of damage you drop out of wild shape and take 3 points of damage off of your normal HPs.

Thanks for clearing that up. In return, I shall inform you that 19-21=-2. :smallsmile:

rlc
2014-08-23, 01:46 PM
yeah, i don't see anything about animal hp on top of normal hp and haven't seen anybody say that anywhere (but i don't read every thread or website, either). if it said "gain," then i could maybe understand that, but it says "assume."

1of3
2014-08-23, 01:48 PM
Yes. You get the new form's HP. That replaces your current HP. If you take excessive damage that damage is deducted from your original form's HP, after you change back.

So yes, you get those HP on top of your own.

Edit: Ninjaed. A lot.

BlueBiscuit
2014-08-23, 01:49 PM
So my understanding of the rules is correct then?
Thank god, I was getting worried there.

Callin
2014-08-23, 01:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. In return, I shall inform you that 19-21=-2. :smallsmile:

Yep I math failed. I usually dont do that for simple math though HAHA