PDA

View Full Version : Prankster Build Help (you guys may have fun with this one)

PangolinPie
2014-08-23, 02:08 PM
So I decided for my character that I'm going to take Leadership and get a cohort at level 6. My GM being the awesome guy that he is said that rather than doing the usual Commoner, Expert or Warrior options, that I could actually create a character with a build of my own design as long as it isn't too overpowered.

SO OPTIMIZATION IS NOT A CONCERN AT ALL.

What I decided on was a Gnome Jester into alchemical weapons and various means of annoying the crap out if the enemy. Right now I'm looking at a Martial Rogue 2/Jester 3/Trapsmith 5/Master Thrower 5 with feats like precise shot, far shot, craft alchemical item, grenadier, mad alchemist, craft wondrous item (for advanced traps that he'd see as practical jokes), etc...

So optimization COMPLETELY aside, what else could I do to make this a generally fun and entertaining build? I honestly don't care about good BAB or saves or whatever...just a fun character.

PS: we already have two bard based builds but my GM is fine with dipping for class abilities.

PangolinPie
2014-08-25, 08:37 AM
Did I just TOTALLY turn everyone off with that mention of optimization not being a factor? LOL

Telonius
2014-08-25, 09:00 AM
You posted on the weekend - we were obviously all in marathon D&D sessions. Or possibly sleeping. Hard to tell, sometimes. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, IMO there are a few keys to a good prankster character. First, you as a player have to have the right mindset. Your prankster is there to make everyone at the table (including you) have more fun. If you're the only one laughing, you're doing it wrong. You've got to be able to think on your feet. Always remember the two rules of comedy. First, it's all about the timing.

For a build, I generally favor high-intelligence, high-charisma characters. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Jester class to fill a Jester role. Of the trickster characters I've played, my favorite was a middle-age Shifter Rogue/Wizard/Master of Masks. Being a skillmonkey helps with the social skills and getting into/out of trouble. (Bluff should always be maxed). Complete Scoundrel is a great resource for some of the things you might find useful. The Skill Tricks and Luck Feats can add some nice touches. Beguiler (from PHB2) might be something for you to look at. If you're going with the spellcasting route, Enchantment and Illusion spells are great for pranks.

For a more martial character, think how a trickster's mind would work in combat. Lots of deception, tactics, luring the enemy into a position of disadvantage, using natural terrain. Fight smart, let the other guy do the work for you.

PangolinPie
2014-08-25, 10:03 AM
You posted on the weekend - we were obviously all in marathon D&D sessions. Or possibly sleeping. Hard to tell, sometimes. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, IMO there are a few keys to a good prankster character. First, you as a player have to have the right mindset. Your prankster is there to make everyone at the table (including you) have more fun. If you're the only one laughing, you're doing it wrong. You've got to be able to think on your feet. Always remember the two rules of comedy. First, it's all about the timing.

For a build, I generally favor high-intelligence, high-charisma characters. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Jester class to fill a Jester role. Of the trickster characters I've played, my favorite was a middle-age Shifter Rogue/Wizard/Master of Masks. Being a skillmonkey helps with the social skills and getting into/out of trouble. (Bluff should always be maxed). Complete Scoundrel is a great resource for some of the things you might find useful. The Skill Tricks and Luck Feats can add some nice touches. Beguiler (from PHB2) might be something for you to look at. If you're going with the spellcasting route, Enchantment and Illusion spells are great for pranks.

For a more martial character, think how a trickster's mind would work in combat. Lots of deception, tactics, luring the enemy into a position of disadvantage, using natural terrain. Fight smart, let the other guy do the work for you.

Well I like the few levels in Jester for the free bonus feat and class abilities that quite literally are meant to annoy the hell out of the enemy and cause them to falter. Granted MAD is involved but again, this isn't meant to be a powerful character at all.

Nettlekid
2014-08-25, 10:33 AM
If you're going prankster, then why not check out the class which has that right in the name, the Divine Prankster? A Gnome-based PrC from Races of Stone, it's designed to sort of be a Cleric/Bard combo, but you don't HAVE to stick with that. It gets some taunting abilities, a serious boost to Illusion DCs if you spend Turn Undead attempts, and at level 10 you get to do the Monty Python-style Killing Joke.

PangolinPie
2014-08-25, 10:43 AM
If you're going prankster, then why not check out the class which has that right in the name, the Divine Prankster? A Gnome-based PrC from Races of Stone, it's designed to sort of be a Cleric/Bard combo, but you don't HAVE to stick with that. It gets some taunting abilities, a serious boost to Illusion DCs if you spend Turn Undead attempts, and at level 10 you get to do the Monty Python-style Killing Joke.

I had actually considered that, but again my GM told me I could only come up with my own build if he wasn't too overpowered. I figured someone who worked with traps and alchemical weapons with minimal casting potential was a good balance.