PDA

View Full Version : Skill DCs

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-23, 06:18 PM
So anyone who had the starter set or some of the other modules - could you give the rest of us an idea of what the DCs for common tasks are?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-23, 06:32 PM
Most DCs hover around 10 to 15. I think I remember seeing a single 20, for forcing a locked door.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-23, 07:23 PM
Most DCs hover around 10 to 15. I think I remember seeing a single 20, for forcing a locked door.

I was hoping more for some specific examples.

Hylas
2014-08-23, 07:52 PM
This is actually a good question. I ran about half of the starter set before schedules got in the way but another group of friends ran a game without any prior knowledge. The DM regularly threw DC20 stuff at our first level group, which comes from his only prior experience being 3.5/PF, but it was much too high.

Here are some DCs that are in the starter set.

A snare trap with a DC12 perception check that doesn't do much of anything unless someone carelessly cuts down the ensnared person.
A couple pit traps with DC15 checks, both are concealed.
Passive perception of at least those numbers will spot them automatically.

There's locked doors with a DC10 check, or you can smash it down with DC20 Strength.
Some wolves are tied up to a chain that is poorly nailed to a cave wall. A DC15 strength check will loosen it and a followup DC10 check will free the wolves.
A few DC15 Intelligence (History) Checks to recall information about the history of a location or the background of a magic sword.
A DC15 Wisdom (Insight) check to sense NPCs having an ulterior motive.
Secret doors have a DC15 passive check or a DC10 active check.
DC10 perception to hear if there's people talking or shouting on the other side of a door.
DC10/15 Charisma (Deception) check to convince bandits that you're one of them... for a while (10 is for the drunk bandits).
DC10 checks to force an unlocked but stuck door open.
Questioning/Interrogating NPCs usually requires a DC15 check.
DC15 check to identify a source of magic.

This was an adventure for 1st-5th level characters. Keep in mind your ability to make high DC checks doesn't improve until 4th level when you get +2 ability bonus and 5th level when you get +1 to your proficiency bonus. So DCs rarely get that high.