PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spellwarped Template and Magic Immunity

Tvtyrant
2014-08-23, 07:00 PM
So the spellwarped template gains a critter benefits if a spell fails to bypass its SR, and Magic Immunity is supposedly just infinite spell resistance. So a spellwarped caster (Warlock anyone?) with the Half-Golem template/graft could just cast magic at themselves forever to keep a pretty wide range of buffs up. Wayyyyy too much LA to be useful, but I thought it was a cool trick.

1pwny
2014-08-23, 08:09 PM
I actually made a Spellwarped Warlock a while ago. I used some armor to give him SR. After close examination, I realized the Speed buff was permanent! You can infer that because all the other buffs have a defined duration, but the speed buff doesn't have one. Infinite speed! :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2014-08-23, 09:21 PM
So the spellwarped template gains a critter benefits if a spell fails to bypass its SR, and Magic Immunity is supposedly just infinite spell resistance. So a spellwarped caster (Warlock anyone?) with the Half-Golem template/graft could just cast magic at themselves forever to keep a pretty wide range of buffs up. Wayyyyy too much LA to be useful, but I thought it was a cool trick.

Last I checked, all the half-golem templates were actually LA -, though spellwarped LA 3 is a bit steep.

That said, I don't think this works. Magic immunity, while functionally equivalent to SR: infinity, is not actually such. It just makes you immune to affects that would allow spell resistance. The trick still works at ECL 14 and up, where a one level dipped spellwarped warlock would have SR 22 vs caster level one.