View Full Version : I picked up a staff of wall of stone

With a box
2014-08-23, 09:27 PM
Problem is, its caster level is 77.
What the hack? Please don't say there is 77th wizard out there..
How onyone can pass UMD DC 97 or caster level cheak 78?

Tvtyrant
2014-08-23, 09:33 PM
Problem is, its caster level is 77.
What the hack? Please don't say there is 77th wizard out there..
How onyone can pass UMD DC 97 or caster level cheak 78?

If you have the attune item feat you only have to succeed on the first attempt each day, and you can do that by abusing aid another/nanobot builds (or a bunch of magic boosting your check.)

KerlanRayne
2014-08-23, 09:34 PM
If a scroll's caster level is higher than yours is, you have to pass a caster level check in order to use it. If a wand or staff has a caster level higher than yours, it doesn't matter. You can use it without a check as long as the spell is on your class list.

Chronos
2014-08-23, 09:36 PM
Presumably, that means that magic was once more powerful in ancient and bygone days, and that this staff is a relic of that long-past time. Ask your DM, or if he doesn't want to answer directly, a Legend Lore spell might tell you more.

It's not a problem for you, though. The difficulty of using a staff has no relationship to its caster level. If you have the spell on your class spell list, you can use it automatically, and if you don't, you can use it with a DC 20 Use Magic Device check.

Staves also have the nifty property that you can use your own caster level if it's higher than the one stored in the staff, but that's not likely to be relevant here.

With a box
2014-08-23, 09:40 PM
but have you any idea of why my DM make such thing?

Bronk
2014-08-23, 09:56 PM
Assuming you got the idea that you needed UMD to activate the staff from your DM, he might not have wanted you to use it.

Otherwise, it might be for plot reasons, to show that there are powerful spellcasters out there...

If he still thinks you need to pass a UMD check, as some sort of house rule or something, try this... in Dragon 329, page 67, there's an indication that you can make a UMD check DC40 to emulate a specific individual. All you'd have to do is discover who made it with the 'legend lore' spell and emulate them.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-23, 10:04 PM
What the hack? Please don't say there is 77th wizard out there...
Presumably, that means that magic was once more powerful in ancient and bygone days, and that this staff is a relic of that long-past time. Ask your DM, or if he doesn't want to answer directly, a Legend Lore spell might tell you more.It was probably created with a Wish. It's a fairly common high-op/TO trick to Wish for high CL magic items.

Arbane
2014-08-23, 10:39 PM

He wants you to found the Netherlands/build the Great Wall of China singlehandedly?

Segev
2014-08-23, 10:43 PM
Are you a spellcaster with Wall of Stone on your class spell list? If so, you can use it regardless of its CL, and you may choose to use its CL instead of your own.

CyberThread
2014-08-23, 10:44 PM
Well the 77th level is the gates of heaven in the abyess. Maybe your posting up holy walls?

bekeleven
2014-08-23, 11:28 PM
He wants you to found the Netherlands/build the Great Wall of China singlehandedly?

I was going to go with "found the night's watch" but these work too.

Psyren
2014-08-24, 12:22 AM
Are you sure it's not a typo? Maybe your DM meant to write/type "17" or something.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-24, 12:36 AM
What the hack?

Here's one, dug from 5 different rulebooks and the bowels of the internet...

1. Spell trigger items don't care what your caster level or ability scores are. As long as the spell is on your list, you can cast it (for example, a level 1 Paladin, who can't even cast spells yet, can use a staff of max-level Paladin spells), but that uses up an invaluable charge off the staff...

2. Wand Surge feat lets you spend an action point instead of a charge from a spell trigger item. From Magic of Eberron, requires CL 3. Normally you only get a few action points upon leveling up, unless...

3. Unfettered Heroism spell (Sorc/Wiz 5, Bard 5, Races of Eberron) gives you a free bonus action point each round of the duration. Problem is, it requires at least one action point to cast it, and your game probably doesn't use those...

4. Heroic Spirit feat (from Eberron Campaign Setting) gives you more action points than normal. Since you normally get zero (I presume you aren't using that variant), you may have to wait until you level up to get them.

Retraining 2 feats and a spell, as per PHB retraining rules, is just like gaining a level: assumed to be a background activity, but doesn't have to take any time. If you normally level up instantly, you should be able to retrain fairly quickly too. If your GM acts like a prick about it, it'll take 2 weeks per feat and 1 day for the spell (total 29 days and 125gp) to retrain it.

So retrain those feats and spell, level up, and spam that staff mercilessly. Also keep an eye on it because the GM is probably going to want to take it away from you if you figure out how to hack it.

I don't know, maybe he wants to show off how hardcore he is by including ludicrous numbers. If he's a good GM (slight possibility, but I'm not getting my hopes up), it could also be a worldbuilding thing; he might be showing you how a magical city was built.

Mr Adventurer
2014-08-24, 10:51 AM
It makes a wall of stone of 77 5' squares which is 19 inches thick. That wall could be 192 feet long and ten feet high, or 96 feet long and twenty feet high. Each 5' square has Hardness 8 and 285 hp.

What would you use something like that for?

bjoern
2014-08-24, 11:36 AM
It makes a wall of stone of 77 5' squares which is 19 inches thick. That wall could be 192 feet long and ten feet high, or 96 feet long and twenty feet high. Each 5' square has Hardness 8 and 285 hp.

To sink a ship.....

torrasque666
2014-08-24, 11:55 AM

To make something like this. (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130520135955/shingekinokyojin/images/archive/7/77/20130520140640!Walls.png)

Dalebert
2014-08-24, 12:15 PM
To sink a ship.

Rather Unlikely.

...it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wall_of_Stone)

bjoern
2014-08-24, 12:25 PM
Rather Unlikely.

Oh, right . Hmmmm.
You'd have to do some funny business with shrink item on two boulders and take them on the boat and have the wall attach to them. Not as cool considering if you're using shrink item, just shrink some lava and take the boat out that way.

I like the idea of using multiple charges fromthe staff to make a significant fortress for the party. Keep your loot there, decorate it. Sounds like a lot of fun RP wise.

Diachronos
2014-08-24, 12:27 PM
I'd be less concerned about how you're going to cast anything off the staff, since you can do it regardless of level difference if it's on your class' spell list, and more concerned about how you're going to make the DM regret his decision to give you a CL77 Staff of Wall of Stone.

bjoern
2014-08-24, 12:40 PM
The value of your staff is 144,375 gp. That has potential to break his economy depending on what level you are.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-24, 01:02 PM
I'd be less concerned about how you're going to cast anything off the staff, since you can do it regardless of level difference if it's on your class' spell list, and more concerned about how you're going to make the DM regret his decision to give you a CL77 Staff of Wall of Stone.

Personally, I'm more concerned with how bad a DM one has to be to give the players a CL77 Staff. I mean, it's probably less disruptive than a Ring of 3 Wishes or a Deck of Many Things, but still.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-24, 01:26 PM
Let's be honest: he has plans for you to deliver it to someone who will use it effortlessly in an attempt to push you towards a particular plot point and to demonstrate that his NPCs are better than you.

Snowbluff
2014-08-24, 01:35 PM
To make something like this. (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130520135955/shingekinokyojin/images/archive/7/77/20130520140640!Walls.png)

Those walls are 5' thick with 0 hardness.

0/10 would let humanity die out if they were the only ones left.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-24, 01:45 PM
Those walls are 5' thick with 0 hardness.

0/10 would let humanity die out if they were the only ones left.

I don't see a scale on there, where is this information from?

Urpriest
2014-08-24, 08:41 PM
Given the specific number? I think the DM is trying to tell you that there's a CL 77 caster in his world.

There are a few spells and powers that can determine who created an object. Here's probably the most direct one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/objectReading.htm). I'd recommend using that to figure out who crafted the staff.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-24, 08:55 PM
Given the specific number? I think the DM is trying to tell you that there's a CL 77 caster in his world.

There are a few spells and powers that can determine who created an object. Here's probably the most direct one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/objectReading.htm). I'd recommend using that to figure out who crafted the staff.

The Magic Item Compendium has Gloves of Object Reading for 3000 gp, which let you use the above power at will but without the 10% chance of skipping someone.

unseenmage
2014-08-24, 08:59 PM
Where you're going you need roads. Seriously, this staff is waaay better than any Lyre of Building or Horn of Blasting for clearing a path across the terrain from city to city, thorp to thorp.

This thing lets you pave over paradise and put up a parking lot on an epic scale. Very handy for obliterating farming fields, pools of lava,/acid, canyons...

Use it to fill up the Underdark. Use it to put stone domes over settlements of humanoids while they sleep. Use it to clog a volcano. Heck, use it to clog ALL THE VOLCANOES!

You're not just making something from nothing here. You're making enough of something from nothing to seriously damage a gameworld.

Oh and as for the charges running out? Just leverage your stone wall powers into enough moneys to buy yourself a Ring of Wishes to replace the staff when it's gone. As mentioned above, a wish is likely the only place it could have come from. Barring that there's these Magic Item Recharging rules (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041130a) you can ask to use.

ericgrau
2014-08-24, 09:01 PM

For battlefield control naturally. Normally walls of stone are too short to block off foes outdoors, and so thin that most foes can quickly break them. No longer a problem. If there's stone present anyway. That could become a big issue. Too bad it wasn't a staff with wall of force instead.

Even at the high CL it's still a little thin and small to make large constructions. You could make little 20'x20'x20' forts with 20" thick walls and arrow slits with each casting though.

gooddragon1
2014-08-24, 10:02 PM
I have a feeling it will be used for battlefield control of an actual battlefield. Just imo.