PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Unconventional Immortality.

RevokFarthis
2014-08-24, 01:21 AM
Ok, so I was looking for ways to be, immortal; but I couldn't find any beyond, well this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?145990-Ways-to-become-immortal-(3-5)

While I was browsing this thread, I noticed something: "Reincarnate".
*Ding! Ding! Ding!*

Instant inspiration: "Pendant of Rebirth"
Now how to make this work?

This site:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm
shows how to make and price your own magic items. (It also goes into detail; differentiating prices for command action items and continuous effect items, which is nice.)

So lets get to the important stuff, shall we?

Item: Necklace (Mundane Crystal; Reincarnate is a Druid spell and Druids do dislike metal, so it's unlikely they would be willing to wear a metal pendant or make one for someone else. Plus lets face it; some DM's are sadistic, this eliminates fear of Rust Monsters, the most common method of party control.)
Spell: Reincarnate
Price Formula: Spell level × caster level × 2,000gp
Spell Level = 4
Caster Level = 4
Price: 4 x 4 x 2,000gp = 16,000gp (+ the cost of the necklace, should someone in the group be a stickler for such things...)
Effect: Casts Reincarnate on the wearer should they be slain*.
*Reincarnate does not work on a creature who has died of old age. (Solution, commit ritual suicide.)
Misc: Though an infinity symbol is the default, you can make it look however you like.

Now, I want to know what ya'll think.

AuraTwilight
2014-08-24, 05:17 AM
You're missing several factors, like how you're setting the spell up to activate automatically on a contingency, and effectively has no limit in doing so. It is technically neither use-activated or continuous.

Debihuman
2014-08-24, 05:33 AM
First reincarnate is CL 7 not CL 4.

7 x 4 x 2,000 = 56,000.

It still doesn't grant you immortality, it just let's you reincarnate if you die. You still lose a level when you use this item. Note that a wish spell can also do this and a ring of three wishes is far more cost effective at 97,950 gp. Also, it shouldn't be a continuous use item so it would have to be activated. That's a lot harder to do if you are dead.

If you want real immortality then you are looking at divine ascension, even Divine Rank 0 grants you immortality.

If you are looking at ways to stop aging then Monk, my fairy godmother prestige class and host of other classes grant agelessness.

Debby

Inevitability
2014-08-24, 10:57 AM
Why is this even in the homebrew forum? From what I see, it can all be done by RAW.

RevokFarthis
2014-08-24, 10:37 PM
@Dire_Stirge
"Why is this even in the homebrew forum? From what I see, it can all be done by RAW."

Well, because I'm new. I figured that anything I made that wasn't in an official book was to be considered Homebrew. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

@Debihuman
"First reincarnate is CL 7 not CL 4. 7 x 4 x 2,000 = 56,000"
You are correct. My bad. I've never bothered looking at Druids before... this does put a damper on my current plans as I was intending this for a level 10 character.

"It still doesn't grant you immortality, it just let's you reincarnate if you die."
For my RP purposes that's fine.

"You still lose a level when you use this item."
I'm okay with that.

"Note that a wish spell can also do this and a ring of three wishes is far more cost effective at 97,950 gp."
Wish requires someone else to use it on me, no thanks. I don't like relying on others.
Ring of Three Wishes has the same problem. I can't use it if i'm dead.

"Also, it shouldn't be a continuous use item so it would have to be activated. That's a lot harder to do if you are dead."
Why? Why shouldn't it be continuous?

@AuraTwilight
"You're missing several factors, like how you're setting the spell up to activate automatically on a contingency, and effectively has no limit in doing so. It is technically neither use-activated or continuous."
Well, I picture a continuous effect item (which this item is) just constantly emanating It's effect. when the wearer is alive, it has target and no effect (It just auto fails). when the wearer dies the spell finally has a valid target and works.

ace rooster
2014-08-25, 05:12 PM
Why is this even in the homebrew forum? From what I see, it can all be done by RAW.

While the DMG has guidelines for pricing custom magic items, they do not stop custom magic items from being homebrew. The item in question also does not really fit into the item pricing guidelines anyway, as it is neither use activated or continuous (reincarnate has instantaneous duration so cannot be continuous). I would definately call it homebrew.

I would start by looking at a lichs phylactery (The only similar effect off the top of my head), which costs 120000gp and 4800xp to make. Maybe knock half that off because of the level loss, and that you don't get the benefits, maybe even another third from having to keep it on you. As a DM I would probably put it at about 40000gp and 1600xp to make, and only have it function for the creator. A sort of druid lesser lich sounds quite cool actually. I'm not sure if thats what you were intending though.

Easiest way of getting immortality I know of is lich light. It involves binding yourself (minimus containment) and then using magic jar to do everything. Surprised it wasn't on that thread.

Mithril Leaf
2014-08-25, 05:48 PM
Why not a magical trap of Last Breath that you commit sepuku on regularly as suggested by various people before?

Debihuman
2014-08-25, 09:52 PM
If it's continuous you just keep being reincarnated whether or not since it is no longer predicated by your death. Or you waste the spell since it goes if you aren't dead. I'd be even meaner since if it's continuous, you'd levels continuously. Nice if you never want to go beyond first level.

Debby

RevokFarthis
2014-08-26, 12:33 PM
Why not a magical trap of Last Breath that you commit sepuku on regularly as suggested by various people before?

I... had never seen that before... that's actually quite good...