PDA

View Full Version : Player Help First time wizard (well in 3.5, used to play some n 2.0) going into the underdark.

Huskergamer
2014-08-24, 03:08 AM
Ok, playing a wizard (lvl 5) who has a nice mix of ray spells/utility spells that eventually is going to be an incantatrix (thinking of dropping evocation) and starting to go into part of the underdark. I have as of yet to play a campaign in the underdark, so im curious about any recommended spells i should have and/or items to take with me. (By the way, found evidence of a possible medusa encounter coming up at some point). Any ideas, recommendations would be nice as i haven't played a wizard in a long time.

Andezzar
2014-08-24, 03:49 AM
A light source and/or darkvision is a must.

Offensive spells that are not subject to spell resistance are a good choice because many denizens of the underdark (drow, duergar, svirfneblin) have it.

Environmental heat and cold are not so much a problem in the underdark, but other environmental hazards are just as prevalent.

If you know you will be facing a medusa or other creature with a SoL Gaze attack, buy or make a blindfold of true darkness (MIC p. 75).

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-24, 04:27 AM
If you can function without light a Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC, 2000gp) gives you pretty much constant invisibility in the Underdark. Darkvision is an option but its limited range can be a problem. Ebon Eyes (SpC), the Devil's Sight invocation (CArc) or the Baator domain power (SpC, get it via Planar Touchstone feat) let you see in darkness as well as you do in light.

Against gaze attacks a Crystal of Bent Sight (MIC) on a Mithril Buckler is cheaper than the Blindfold of True Darkness and doesn't negate your normal vision.

If your DM tracks that kind of thing a Survival Pouch (MIC) or Travel Cloak (MoF) is also a good idea to take care of food, water and camping supplies.

Andezzar
2014-08-24, 05:16 AM
If you can function without light a Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC, 2000gp) gives you pretty much constant invisibility in the Underdark. Darkvision is an option but its limited range can be a problem. Ebon Eyes (SpC), the Devil's Sight invocation (CArc) or the Baator domain power (SpC, get it via Planar Touchstone feat) let you see in darkness as well as you do in light.The effectiveness of ebon eyes depends on how dark your Underdark actually is. In total darkness it does nothing unless the character also has darkvision.
The Ring of the Darkhidden does not help if any light source is present.
Devil's sight has even less range than typical darkvision. That is if you use RAI instead of RAW. Seeing normally in darkness for a creature without preternatural perception is seeing nothing.
I don't see how the Planar Touchstone Feat (PlH p. 41) gives you the Baator domain power or, if it does, circumvents the requirement of being lawful evil.

Against gaze attacks a Crystal of Bent Sight (MIC) on a Mithril Buckler is cheaper than the Blindfold of True Darkness and doesn't negate your normal vision.The Crystal of Bent Sight only gives you the benefit of averting your eyes (i.e. 50% immunity) without the miss chance. The Blindfold gives the benefit of a blindfold (i.e. total immunity, blindness) and blind sight.

If your DM tracks that kind of thing a Survival Pouch (MIC) or Travel Cloak (MoF) is also a good idea to take care of food, water and camping supplies.Seconded. The survival pouch also has a heat/light source (camp fire/torches), load carrier (mule), and a weapon (shortbow)

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-24, 05:57 AM
The effectiveness of ebon eyes depends on how dark your Underdark actually is. In total darkness it does nothing unless the character also has darkvision.
The Ring of the Darkhidden does not help if any light source is present.
You either have total darkness (making Ebon Eyes useless) or not (making the Ring useless). One of the two will be useful, and neither the Ring nor a wand of Ebon Eyes are all that expensive. If you can spare a feat combine them with Hidden Talent (XPH) and buy a Darklight (500gp, SoS) and make the light how you want it to be.

Devil's sight has even less range than typical darkvision. That is if you use RAI instead of RAW. Seeing normally in darkness for a creature without preternatural perception is seeing nothing.
Seeing nothing would be pretty useless. I had forgotten the rather pitiful range though, so it's not really worth it either way.

I don't see how the Planar Touchstone Feat (PlH p. 41) gives you the Baator domain power or, if it does, circumvents the requirement of being lawful evil.
The Catalogues of Enlightenment (PlH 166) touchstone grants you the power of a cleric domain, with no further restrictions. Since you don't actually get the domain the alignment restriction doesn't apply, at least by my interpretation.

The Crystal of Bent Sight only gives you the benefit of averting your eyes (i.e. 50% immunity) without the miss chance. The Blindfold gives the benefit of a blindfold (i.e. total immunity, blindness) and blind sight.
The problem i have with the Blindfold is that it limits your perception to a 30ft radius. Not only are you blind outside of that, you also have to move your squishy self within charge range to aim your spells, so it's really more of an option for melee characters imo.

Huskergamer
2014-08-24, 06:26 AM
All, great ideas, unfortunately we just fought invisible fungus monsters doing 14-17 a pop, dropped me in the first non-surprise round and after cleric got me up i couldnt do much except drop a kelgores gravemist on them and hope for the best. darkvision items didnt really help me here lol.

Andezzar
2014-08-24, 08:28 AM
Protecting yourself against invisible enemies is not something you need to do only in the Underdark. See invisibility has been available since level 3 so get it ASAP (Do you have spontaneous divination?). Blind Sight would have helped against invisibility.

bjoern
2014-08-24, 09:10 AM
Critters in the under dark have spell resistance as mentioned earlier. However there are some great spells that are unfortunately SR:yes. Mitigate this by taking true casting and/or assay SR.
also, you'll encounter all kinds of terrain and obstacles down there. Alter self is great for getting access to a wide array of different movement types and nice situational skill bonuses. Rope trick for resting. Grease obviously so you can grease that spider on the ceiling and make it fall down etc.

herrhauptmann
2014-08-24, 07:18 PM
What metamagic feats do you have?
Ideally you'll say Extend, Persist, and Chain; this means you can buff the entire party for an entire day with just one or two spells and uses of your Metamagic Effect. (Probably Twin and Chain too)

If you're not loaded up on buffs, I'm not sure that Incantatrix is worth it. Yeah you can hijack someones spell at later levels, but you're skipping almost the entire front half of the PrC.

morkendi
2014-08-24, 11:12 PM
Use your scribe scroll if you didn't trade it away. Multiple copies of your utility spells and such stored in your pack. Combat oriented where you can get them easy. Use them as much as possible. You never want to have to sleep and memorive spells because you are empty. Always be prepared in the underdark. Rope trick is your friend for camping and hiding.

Andezzar
2014-08-25, 12:45 AM
What metamagic feats do you have?
Ideally you'll say Extend, Persist, and Chain; this means you can buff the entire party for an entire day with just one or two spells and uses of your Metamagic Effect. (Probably Twin and Chain too)
You better get some metamagic reducers then. A chained persisted spell uses a slot 9 levels higher than normal. With 8+ levels of Incanatatrix it is still +7 levels

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-25, 01:12 AM
You better get some metamagic reducers then. A chained persisted spell uses a slot 9 levels higher than normal. With 8+ levels of Incanatatrix it is still +7 levels

That's the MoF Incantatrix. Look up the updated (and much more powerful) version in PGtF.

You can chain first and then persist the spells when they are in place with Metamagic Effect. Or you can use Cooperative Metamagic to chain the buffs of your parties other casters and persist them without using up higher level slots. If you get access to Body outside Body you can do the same with your own spells.

Beneath
2014-08-25, 12:32 PM
Didn't OP say level 5? Persistent Spell, even things like Chain Spell, are wayyyyy over-level for this. Even Assay Resistance is a 4th level spell.

The way you deal with spell resistance is by stocking up on SR:no spells or on spells to cast on your partymates. Glitterdust and Web are both SR:no and are good offensive spells. Both also have areas you can use to deal with invisible attackers, if you're not dropped in the first round of future combats.