PDA

View Full Version : Are multiple damage types still required?

Suichimo
2014-08-24, 05:39 AM
This used to be a big factor for martial characters. You run in to a guy that has DR x/Slashing so you have to put your Greatsword back in to the golf bag and take out your Maul. However, looking at the small selection of creatures in the PHB, it doesn't seem like you need to anymore. The traditional early DR monster, the Skeleton, isn't resistant to Slashing or Piercing, it is just vulnerable to Bludgeoning.

So, since I'm making my first character for 5e currently, do I need more than one weapon starting out?

Also, sad that I can use a bow as I have a -2 Dex mod.

Edit: The answer to this may save me a good bit of starting gold that I can then use on knick knacks and miscellany.

rlc
2014-08-24, 06:40 AM
from what i've seen, monsters that are resistant/immune to one type of damage are going to be resistant/immune to a lot of them.

emeraldstreak
2014-08-24, 06:45 AM
This used to be a big factor for martial characters. You run in to a guy that has DR x/Slashing so you have to put your Greatsword back in to the golf bag and take out your Maul. However, looking at the small selection of creatures in the PHB, it doesn't seem like you need to anymore. The traditional early DR monster, the Skeleton, isn't resistant to Slashing or Piercing, it is just vulnerable to Bludgeoning.

So, since I'm making my first character for 5e currently, do I need more than one weapon starting out?

Also, sad that I can use a bow as I have a -2 Dex mod.

Edit: The answer to this may save me a good bit of starting gold that I can then use on knick knacks and miscellany.

Gah.

It's not that different mathematically.

You still want to beat the skeleton with Bludgeoning damage.

Humans are psychologically biased to pay more attention to penalties than bonuses even if the end result is similar mathematically.

Yorrin
2014-08-24, 06:53 AM
While there are some corner cases, most of the time when a monster resists one physical damage type they resist them all. So it's probably not worth it to invest too much in that type of variety.

That being said, -2 Dex? You're screwed as soon as you face a caster-y monster.

Suichimo
2014-08-24, 06:12 PM
While there are some corner cases, most of the time when a monster resists one physical damage type they resist them all. So it's probably not worth it to invest too much in that type of variety.

That being said, -2 Dex? You're screwed as soon as you face a caster-y monster.

So I don't need a Battleaxe, Morningstar, and a Warhammer then? That would definitely open up a bit of gold for me.

Rolled 7, 18, 14, 14, 13, 13 for stats. Put the 7 in Dex since, traditionally, Dex based saves have been to avoid or lessen damage. As a Dwarven Paladin going into Oath of the Ancients, I figured it wouldn't be too hard on me. On top of that, I have no idea what an Int based save will do as I haven't played 5e yet. My stats are currently set at:

Str 16(14+2)
Dex 7
Con 16(14+2)
Int 13
Wis 13
Cha 18

hawklost
2014-08-24, 07:04 PM
Even if you found monsters who were resistant to a single type of damage, you probably won't see them for the first couple of levels. If by then you are still low on money for a common weapon of each type (does it really have to be your max damage?) then you might want to rethink how you save your gold.

Your low dex will harm you some when it comes to dodging those caster spells, but I don't see it as a death sentence. You might consider giving up your bow for a thrown weapon, carry a couple of cheap javalins with you so that you can throw out to 30/120, its not as far as a bow, but you can use your str with it.

Yorrin
2014-08-24, 07:39 PM
So I don't need a Battleaxe, Morningstar, and a Warhammer then? That would definitely open up a bit of gold for me.

Rolled 7, 18, 14, 14, 13, 13 for stats. Put the 7 in Dex since, traditionally, Dex based saves have been to avoid or lessen damage. As a Dwarven Paladin going into Oath of the Ancients, I figured it wouldn't be too hard on me. On top of that, I have no idea what an Int based save will do as I haven't played 5e yet. My stats are currently set at:

Str 16(14+2)
Dex 7
Con 16(14+2)
Int 13
Wis 13
Cha 18

Correct. Grab the Battleaxe and call it a day.

As for stats- I'd definitely switch Int and Dex. Int saves are extraordinarily rare in the material we've seen so far, but Dex saves are probably the most common save in the game. And while it's true that it's sometimes just to reduce damage, I can think of examples where it's to avoid damage or an effect altogether. I might also switch Cha and Str on this build, but that's a less crucial issue.

Suichimo
2014-08-24, 10:25 PM
You might consider giving up your bow for a thrown weapon, carry a couple of cheap javalins with you so that you can throw out to 30/120, its not as far as a bow, but you can use your str with it.

Don't actually have a bow at the moment. In fact, I don't have a ranged weapon specifically because of my low dex. Of the two choices I have for ranged attacks, thrown weapons let me use my strength but have such a short range that if I'm not throwing in melee range I'm at a disadvantage and bows have great range but I would have to use my -2 dex mod to attack and damage.

Correct. Grab the Battleaxe and call it a day.

As for stats- I'd definitely switch Int and Dex. Int saves are extraordinarily rare in the material we've seen so far, but Dex saves are probably the most common save in the game. And while it's true that it's sometimes just to reduce damage, I can think of examples where it's to avoid damage or an effect altogether. I might also switch Cha and Str on this build, but that's a less crucial issue.

Since my last post I've actually opened up a bit of money by dropping a couple of things from my starting package, still pending DM approval though but backed up by the book. Namely, I dropped my set of fine clothes down to a set of traveler's clothes and dropped the signet ring entirely(I have a writ that declares my lineage, I don't need the ring).

The idea that I have in my head is that my character is a Dwarf noble that has been assigned a post to defend our ancestral homelands. In defending the homelands, my main task is to ensure the land is not plundered by those not of our clan. Because of this, I'm a lot more down to earth than other nobles may be so I don't require the luxuries that would normally befit someone of my position. As a Paladin of Ulaa that has sworn the Oath of the Ancients, my Nature's Wrath uses stone rather vines as the method to ensnare and my Elder Champion will be depicted as my skin taking on the texture and color of stone while my hair becomes some form of mineral(haven't decided yet).

I'm not certain about the stat switches you've proposed. While I'd like to have a decent ranged option, as I mentioned my disdain for thrown weapons, I also don't like playing stupid characters. If my 7 was a 10, this wouldn't really be a hard decision, but I don't know if I can do a 7 Int. For the Str and Cha switch, I'm going to hit 20 Str either way and this lets me have an early boost to my spell casting.

TheOOB
2014-08-24, 10:37 PM
We don't have the monster manual yet, so any postulations about how common or prolific resistances are/will be is kind of pointless.

Suichimo
2014-08-24, 10:51 PM
We don't have the monster manual yet, so any postulations about how common or prolific resistances are/will be is kind of pointless.

Well yeah, I figured that would be assumed. We do have information on monsters now though, through previews, the PHB, and Hoard of the Dragon Queen.