PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Domain turn/rebuke attempts for non-undead things

WhamBamSam
2014-08-24, 02:16 PM
I occasionally see people mention things like using the Air Domain granted power to Turn/Rebuke Air creatures as fuel for Divine Feats/DMM. Is there any rules text which backs this up? In the absence of anything explicitly saying that you can use them like Turn Undead attempts, my inclination would be that you cannot do so by RAW and that you can't do anything with them other than actually turning or rebuking.

I know that the Rebuke Dragons Cleric ACF has text to this effect, but I'm curious if there's anything similar for domain granted powers, or if it's just wishful thinking/misreading of the rules.

Zaq
2014-08-24, 10:21 PM
Most things of this nature do not work for fueling Divine feats. The few that do SAY that they do. Most alternate turn/rebuke abilities do not say that they function as turn undead for the purposes of Divine feats, and therefore they do not.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-24, 10:32 PM
Most things of this nature do not work for fueling Divine feats. The few that do SAY that they do. Most alternate turn/rebuke abilities do not say that they function as turn undead for the purposes of Divine feats, and therefore they do not.Okay. That's what I figured unless I was missing something.

Is there a full list anywhere of which things work for that purpose? Are there any beyond standard Turn/Rebuke Undead and the Rebuke Dragons ACF?

Psyren
2014-08-24, 11:23 PM
I don't know all of them, but Azurin Cleric's Channel Incarnum functions as turning.

Zaq
2014-08-25, 12:03 AM
The only non-TU ones I know offhand are those two (Channel Incarnum and Turn/Rebuke Dragons).

I'm not prepared to say that there are no others, but I can't call any to mind.

You can, however, double up if you get both TU and RU on the same character. The easiest way to do this is by getting Dread Necro involved, since DNs always get RU. Then you just get TU from somewhere else (Cleric, if nothing else—just be neutral on the Good/Evil axis) and you've got two separate pools, both of which benefit from Extra Turning.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-25, 01:18 AM
It depends on the divine feat in question. Some of them specify that you need to expend Turn/Rebuke Undead uses, others just want Turn/Rebuke uses without specifying creature type.
DMM for example specifies turn/rebuke undead while Divine Countermagic (FoE) only requires "a turn or rebuke attempt". Both still require "the ability to turn or rebuke undead" to qualify for them, though.

I usually houserule that everything that affects/requires turn undead also works with other turning abilities because they are useless otherwise when you can't use them to fuel divine feats or boost them until they're actually capable of turning/rebuking anything level-relevant.

DMM isn't breaking the game just because you get several turning pools. It's breaking the game because it gives you free metamagic. If you want to ban or restrict something, ban DMM, and let the other turning pools actually be useful for something. At least that's my reasoning.

Ettina
2014-08-25, 07:37 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Air_Domain

Turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster air creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead.

So according to this, it does work like turn/rebuke undead. All the elemental domains have basically the same wording - you can turn or destroy the opposed element, and rebuke, command or bolster your element.

Fouredged Sword
2014-08-25, 09:56 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Air_Domain

So according to this, it does work like turn/rebuke undead. All the elemental domains have basically the same wording - you can turn or destroy the opposed element, and rebuke, command or bolster your element.

This thread is resolving the issue of using Turn X abilities to power things that require you to expend a use of Turn Undead. It depends on the wording of the particular Turn X and the particular ability that uses turning.