PDA

View Full Version : Marshal Class Rules?

Trisha
2014-08-24, 05:08 PM
So I've found myself enjoying the marshal class quite a bit. and i've found that in social campaigns it is highly effective especially if you take motivate charisma early.
but i was unclear on the rules and limitations on the motivate Dex, Cha, Str, ect minor auras were.

in particular what rolls do the specific ones cover when it says _____ checks.
Recently i heard from the forums that motivate Cha affected Turning checks,
and i hopped to gain some clarification on what checks each aura qualifies for.

tyckspoon
2014-08-24, 06:08 PM
Well, the most obvious thing is that a (stat) Check is anything that says 'this is a (stat) check' or 'roll a (stat) check.)'

More generally, an attribute check is anything that consists of d20+Attribute Modifier. They don't include any other bonuses or modifiers unless something else specifically says it affects an attribute check. (Skills, IIRC, are a special case attribute check.. or more precisely, an untrained Skill use is an attribute check.)

bekeleven
2014-08-24, 06:38 PM
No, skill checks are not ability checks, even untrained.

Turn undead says: "This is a Charisma check (1d20 + your Charisma modifier)." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead)

Similarly, an initiative check is a dexterity check. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/initiative.htm)

Basically, just read the text, and the answer is there.

Chronos
2014-08-24, 07:16 PM
No, skill checks are not ability checks, even untrained.
Which doesn't actually matter in this case, because the Motivate <ability score> auras also specifically apply to skill checks.

Trisha
2014-08-24, 07:29 PM
I'm not going to lie, i am still a bit confused.
so a dexterity check would be defined as "Any roll that consists of a D20 + dex mod with the presence of no other modifiers",
with the exception of an explicitly stated "this is a dexterity check"?

I think i understand it now :) thankies

Chronos
2014-08-24, 09:14 PM
If it says it's a dexterity check, it's a dexterity check. Such a check may or may not have other modifiers, but it'll probably have few or none. Initiative specifically says it's a dexterity check.

Kanthalion
2015-05-05, 07:36 PM
If I may piggy back on to this, am I reading it correctly that, if a Marshal has just Motivate Charisma he can essentially consider it to be always on?

Hiro Quester
2015-05-05, 07:45 PM
If I may piggy back on to this, am I reading it correctly that, if a Marshal has just Motivate Charisma he can essentially consider it to be always on?

Sort of. You activate it as a swift action, and it stays on until you dismiss it or activate another.

But the rules also say that you have to do this:

Activating an aura involves haranguing, ordering, directing, encouraging, cajoling, or calming allies. A marshal sizes up the enemy, allies, and the terrain, then gives allies the direction that they can use to do their best.

The effect of that can't last all day. You'd have to re motivate your allies from time to time, particularly as new situations arise.

j_spencer93
2015-05-05, 07:51 PM
i got a question about this, how does the marshal auras work when granted the draconic auras as the variant says you can do? I still don't see how they work together.

Kantolin
2015-05-05, 08:04 PM
The effect of that can't last all day. You'd have to re motivate your allies from time to time, particularly as new situations arise.

I've mechanically always had people use auras as 'always on'. Thematically, the marshal being the centrepoint of a diplomatic convention should work fine, and a traveling marshal occasionally reminding people to keep aware of their surroundings could help for motivate wisdom (Spot/listen, or possibly even motive dexterity for initiative), or it just works out. Either way, it's still you activate it once, and then the occasional comment happens at best - or calming.

Auras being always on is, after all, pretty much the only advantage the poor marshal has over other classes anyway. Especially to someone remaining in the marshal class for longer than one level.

The Viscount
2015-05-05, 11:17 PM
Auras being always on is, after all, pretty much the only advantage the poor marshal has over other classes anyway. Especially to someone remaining in the marshal class for longer than one level.
At least it would if not for dragon shaman making them look bad. At least marshal still trumps it in the skills department, I guess.

Yeah the line where they say
"A marshal can have an aura active continually; thus, an aura can be in effect at the start of a combat encounter even before the marshal takes his first turn."
makes it pretty clear they intend it to be always on, until you change it.

As for the variant as presented in Dragon Magic, it's fairly straightforward. Instead of any major aura, learn a Draconic Aura (but only the ones listed in Dragon Magic). Most are different from yours, but few are worth it. You'll notice several are direct duplicates of Dragon Shaman auras, minus the most useful, Vigor.

If a character were playing marshal I'd just give him access to the dragon shaman auras as options for major auras. It's always bugged me that marshal's bonus increased slower, but that's life. It's likely from them realizing it wasn't enough when they made dragon shaman.