PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a prestige class for my cleric :)

ngilop
2014-08-24, 06:09 PM
hey guys I have a cleric of nike and am wondering what prestige class would suit me the best.

right now I am lvl 7 and am a DMM: quicken kinda cleric, to get off most of my group buffs in the first couple of rounds.

I am ok with just staying cleric, but id like to see if there are any cool PrCs that would fit my character, here is the list of books allowed NOTE it set in the roman world so don't balk at the last line in the 'whats allowed list'

Relics and Rituals: Excalibur, Relics & Rituals: Olympus, Relics and Rituals I, Relics and Rituals II, Draconimicon, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc Press), Book of Hallowed Might I, Book of Hallowed Might II, Book of Roguish Luck, Frostburn, Stormwrack, Sandstorm, Dungeonscape, Cityscape, Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Champion, Complete Mage, Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis. Also note; anything from here: http://www.d20srd.org/ is allowed. No asian-themed classes

Red Fel
2014-08-24, 06:40 PM
hey guys I have a cleric of nike and am wondering what prestige class would suit me the best.

right now I am lvl 7 and am a DMM: quicken kinda cleric, to get off most of my group buffs in the first couple of rounds.

I am ok with just staying cleric, but id like to see if there are any cool PrCs that would fit my character, here is the list of books allowed NOTE it set in the roman world so don't balk at the last line in the 'whats allowed list'

Relics and Rituals: Excalibur, Relics & Rituals: Olympus, Relics and Rituals I, Relics and Rituals II, Draconimicon, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc Press), Book of Hallowed Might I, Book of Hallowed Might II, Book of Roguish Luck, Frostburn, Stormwrack, Sandstorm, Dungeonscape, Cityscape, Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Champion, Complete Mage, Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis. Also note; anything from here: http://www.d20srd.org/ is allowed. No asian-themed classes

First, I assume you meant it's a Greco-Roman setting, seeing as Nike was a Greek goddess. Second, you don't mention Deities and Demigods as a source, which is odd, because that's the source that introduced Nike as a goddess - or, more accurately, as a demigoddess. Key point there, as demigods are the weakest form of deity (excluding quasi-gods, who have Divine Rank 0, and thus aren't really deities at all).

I'm going to assume that you're using Nike based on the stats in Deities and Demigods, despite it not being one of your sources, unless you tell me otherwise. And that's a very good thing, for reasons which will become apparent shortly.

In the book, Nike is a LG Demigod (Rank 1-5) with Domains including Law, Nobility, and War, and a portfolio including victory; her weapon is the Light Mace. You're going to like this next part.

You're going to refluff Ordained Champion, one of my absolute favorite Cleric PrCs ever. OC requires the worship of Hextor or Heironeous. Since Nike, like Heironeous, is an LG god(dess) of war, this should be a no-brainer; refluff it to allow worship of Nike. As a bonus, the War Domain power includes free Weapon Focus, which is a class prereq for OC. The rest is gravy.

The class itself is awesome; full BAB, two good saves, 3/5 caster progression. Spontaneously cast War spells as a swift action, and with +2 CL. Have you looked at the War domain? Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm) is on that list. At OC 5, you can cast it as a swift action with a +2 CL (that's 2 extra rounds of being beefcake). If you haven't prepared it, you can cast it spontaneously. Because it's a swift action, you don't have to waste a round self-buffing; you can do it and perform a full attack action in the same round. Want to double down on the pain? Swift action cast Divine Power, then cast Righteous Might (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/righteousMight.htm) as a standard action. On the next round, reduce your enemies to a fine red mist. Righteous Might isn't a War spell, but it is on the Cleric list, so you'll have that bad boy prepared, and you'll crush face with it.

You can also cast Magic Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicWeapon.htm) and Magic Vestment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicVestment.htm) as swift actions. Buffing allies, yeah! Oh, and you can also cast Power Word: Kill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/powerWordKill.htm) as a swift action. A swift action. Enjoy that.

ngilop
2014-08-24, 07:41 PM
actually I am pretty sure the source for Nike(or Victoria as she was known in roman times but im sure that most would not recognize that name) as a deity is not the book you listed ( which has ZERO bearing on if I can or cannot worship said deity with my character) is from ancient mythology.

Red Fel
2014-08-24, 07:56 PM
actually I am pretty sure the source for Nike(or Victoria as she was known in roman times but im sure that most would not recognize that name) as a deity is not the book you listed ( which has ZERO bearing on if I can or cannot worship said deity with my character) is from ancient mythology.

Yes. I did mention that Nike (by that name) was a Greek goddess. However, her introduction into D&D (more accurately, into 3.0) was in Deities and Demigods. And it actually has more than a bit of bearing on whether your character can worship her, for two reasons: If you're not using homebrew, you kind of need to have a canonical source for your information. In this case, in order to provide options for a Cleric, it helps to know the alignment and domains of their deity, neither of which you provided in your post. I assumed Deities and Demigods was your source because that was the only place I could get that information, absent clarification from you. If you are using homebrew, you kind of need to tell the forumites what it entails when asking for help. It doesn't do much good, for example, if I observe that I'm playing a Cleric of Arglebargle and ask for help, as I have said nothing about the alignment (which plays prominently in Cleric PrCs) and domains (which plays slightly less prominently) of an Arglebargle Cleric.

Perhaps, instead of critiquing my knowledge of Greco-Roman mythology, you might instead offer information on your Cleric and patron deity, to better enable people to provide you with the help you request.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-24, 08:52 PM
In the book, Nike is a LG Demigod (Rank 1-5) with Domains including Law, Nobility, and War, and a portfolio including victory; her weapon is the Light Mace. You're going to like this next part.

She's actually LN. That said, Ordained Champion is still probably the best fit.

ngilop
2014-08-24, 08:56 PM
The domains I have right now are War and Glory.

my cleric is Chaotic good with the following feats
Extra Turning(4 extra turn attempts in a day)
Weapon Focus(Long Sword) (+1 to attacks with specified weapon)
Augment Healing (+2 per spell levelt o amount healed)
Quicken Spell (Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. takes 4 higher slots)
Divien MetaMagic ( use turn attempts in place of higher slots)

I said my cleric was focused on group bufs and you proceed o link the usua COD-zilla ness with the divine power and righteous might.

the world we are playing in is a alternate history earth so to speak and every major culure in that era of history (norse, egypian, celtic) is fair game on character creation and deity worship, I though about Nike and being a a support cleric so that my teammates grow stronger, I do not have any desire to completely replace 4/5 of the party by selecting spels that make myself and myself only some kind aof superman, id rather stick to buffs that increase my party as a whole's power.

I know that the GiPT forusm have this obessionw ith optimization and making you the most at whatever, but I want to be support, not the guy who does everything. being a combat beast means jack squat to me if it means that im giving my groupamts the middle finger and say 'LOLOL instead of giving you all super cool buff spells im just going to buff myself and solo the whole campaign'