PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed My d4 copter goes chucka chucka chucka (arcane gish quiche)

Snowbluff
2014-08-24, 09:03 PM
Just a little somethin' somethin' I'm cooking up for a game. What do you guys think?

Warblade1/Crusader1(or any class with full BAB, heavy armor)/Wizard4(Martial)/Spellsword1/JPM3/(Filler4)/JPM+1(grab Aura of Chaos)

The idea is that I use arcane strike to grab some d4s. A modest few... like 9 per attack. Any time one is a 4 I'll roll even more. Ad nauseam.

Feats thusfar:

Flaw: Aberrant Blood
Flaw: Deepspawn (tentamacles)
1: TWF
Human (optional): Reach feat (Extend Reach or Inhuman Reach, which is why I went Aberrant Blood)
3: Travel Devotion (ensure the attacks)
3 (wixard): Power Attack (may suck with the build)
6: Practiced Spellcaster
9: Arcane Strike (HEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHE)
12:
15:
18:

Start off using all of the attacks with Punishing Stance. I'll look up some more attacks.

Ad nauseam.

Flickerdart
2014-08-24, 09:08 PM
9 dice.
Chances of rolling 4: 0.25 per die, 2.25 total.
2.25 extra dice.
Chances of rolling 4: 0.25 per die, 0.5625 total.
0.5625 extra dice.
Chances of rolling 4: 0.14 total.
0.14 extra dice.
Chances of rolling 4: 0.04
-------------------------------------
Average extra dice from 9 dice of Arcane Strike: less than 3.
Average extra damage from Aura of Chaos: around 7.

Inspiring.

Snowbluff
2014-08-24, 09:18 PM
Mhm. It's a huge waste of time, but with at least 8 attacks (BAB, TWF, Gloves of the balanced Hands, and tentacles), that's 88 d4. That's before Triple Strike,other spells and items that grant attacks (like Girallon's Blessing), and the base die of the attacks (falchion 2d4, tentacle 1d4, armor spike 1d4). Additionally, the extra dice from using Arcane Strike to subsume spells stack.

I might need to buy some.

Khatoblepas
2014-08-24, 09:24 PM
TWF might not be the best idea for a build like this - you can only arcane strike "a melee weapon, your unarmed strike, or your natural weapons". Unfortunately, your falchion, tentacle and armor spikes would have to be arcane-striked seperately. It follows, then, that a better for Arcane Strike is an unarmed strike build with plenty of supplemental natural weapons - you can enchant your natural weapons (of which your unarmed strike counts as, so it's included), and deal a lot of attacks with it.

I've seen Arcane Strike done to good effect with a Duskblade, who has a huge amount of spell levels to sack. They can only get up to +5 on their attack roll, but up to +BABd4 on their damage rolls.

If you have +20d4 on each attack, and let's say you have full BAB, four natural attacks, and Aura of Chaos:

160d4
0.25 per die: 40 extra dice.
0.25 per die: 10 extra dice.
0.25 per die: 2.5 extra dice.
0.25 per die: 0.625 extra dice.

For an average extra damage of: 132.8125, not to mention the 160d4 damage

And for only 20 spell levels of spells! Is that good? I'm not sure if that's good.

Snowbluff
2014-08-24, 09:27 PM
TWF might not be the best idea for a build like this - you can only arcane strike "a melee weapon, your unarmed strike, or your natural weapons". Unfortunately, your falchion, tentacle and armor spikes would have to be arcane-striked seperately. It follows, then, that a better for Arcane Strike is an unarmed strike build with plenty of supplemental natural weapons - you can enchant your natural weapons (of which your unarmed strike counts as, so it's included), and deal a lot of attacks with it.

The feat text says so, but then it goes on to contradict itself by granting the bonus to all attacks.

Khatoblepas
2014-08-24, 09:29 PM
The feat text says so, but then it goes on to contradict itself by granting the bonus to all attacks.

Huh, right you are. More useful than I gave it credit for! Braid blades away, then?

Snowbluff
2014-08-24, 09:34 PM
Huh, right you are. More useful than I gave it credit for! Braid blades away, then?Mhm. Human heritage for templated undead works in the same way. The feat changes your type, then provides the benefits of the change even if you lose the type.

We generally don't use magazine material unless it's in the Compendium...

OH! Poison rings. Touch attacks for when I'm out of Wraith Strikes.

EDIT: Instead of TWF, you can go for Shape Soulmeld to pick up Claws of the Wyrm and the dragon tail soulmeld.