PDA

View Full Version : House Rules.

lumberofdabeast
2007-03-07, 06:03 PM
Hey, what house rules do you guys use? Do they work out well for you? The big house rule that I enforce is that characters may only have levels in three different classes, to help prevent dipping into eight different classes and whatnot.

EDIT: Oh, and a more interesting one I thought up... Healing is a subschool of Necromancy in games I run.

Voleta
2007-03-07, 06:22 PM
I have a ton of house rules that I tweak depending on the campagin. In my homebrew setting, I use one list. For an chat-based game I used others, and for my 'newbie' game, I dumbed it down to just the essentials.

The ones I dislike playing without are (copy and pasting from a file, so forgive setting-related comments):
General knowledge checks When encountering a creature, you may make a 1d20 + level + Int mod check to see if they've run into it before and remember it. Depending on your score, your char may remember some weak points and such.
Knowledge prompts I bring knowledge skills into play a lot.Whenever something remotely tied to a knowledge skill comes up, I call out the name of any knowledge skills related and the players then roll if they have the skill and declare which one they are using.
Background knowledge A lot of profession skills can be used as a knowledge skill, profession skills though always have a narrow scope compared to the broad base of a knowledge skill.
Intimidate You can use strength mod instead of charisma mod, especially when used in combat. You may also receive a circumstance bonus (or penalty) depending on the setting. For example, trying to convince a guard that you were an innocent bystander, while holding a bloody weapon, is not as easy as doing the same while trying to give CPR.
Prestige Class Before taking any pre-reqs for prestige classes, consult me about the PrC itself. This way, you don't end up in a bad spot if I disallow the PrC after you've taken a crappy feat.
Sorcerer Sorc gets as a bonus feat Eschew Materials. Flavor reasons mostly.
Multi Class No multiclass XP penalties, but all cheese builds musts be approved in advance.
Permanent Mounts Paladins get to keep their mount for an unlimited amount of time, but must quest for them once they are eligible. (This is worked through in the storyline).
Medic! Clerics are allowed to add their skill ranks in heal to their cure/inflict spells. i.e. Cure light wounds = 1d8+level+ranks in heal or Inflict light wounds = 1+ranks in heal. This shows that clerics know how the body works better than other classes.
Wizard Healer Disrupt Undead heals living creatures because it is positive Energy. (Makes sense to me)
Bardic Countersong can counter supernatural sonic effects, i.e. a harpy's Captivating Song.
Druid For the purposes of wild shaping a druid is only assumed to be familiar with animals common to the area the PC's live (Dm discretion) and any animals the party has actually fought (Dm discretion again). This really reins in some of the sillier attempts to abuse wild shape
Newbz New characters start one level below the party average. This rewards my other players for keeping their characters alive.
Rock Paper Scissors When enough party members die (three or more in one conflict) they face death together. If they beat death (combat, bluff, diplomacy, poker, blackjack, etc) they come back with 1hp.
Darwin If you die doing something stupid (i.e. taunting a dragon, etc.) you will be resurrected by a kindly druid who uses reincarnation to bring you back as a kobold, Halfling, or a slug.
Experience Whore At the end of the session I run something I like to refer to as Whoring. This idea was taking from another DM who took it from another before his and so on and so forth. When whoring, each player tells me what amazing things that they did that particular session (doesn't count combat). This includes puzzles, role playing, story line things, etc. After everyone has finished whoring, I give out bonus xp based off of what the players whored for that I thought was valid. What it ends up doing is making everyone pay attention and participate in a game.
The "Really?" House Rule Whenever a player does anything in a battle or such, the DM asks them "Really?” If the player responds "Really", the action is set in stone. The only way to change the action is with a wish spell cast soon afterwards.
Bonus Feat Start with a bonus feat from DM. (So, a level 1 human fighter gets 4 feats). The idea is that feats shape a character, and I like to have characters ideas in mind not just generic ranger or something.
Fewer Requirements If a feat other than Power Attack or Combat Expertise has Base Attack Bonus +1 as a prerequisite ignore it. This is a bone I throw to low-level rogues who need to pick up Weapon Finesse as quickly as possible to be viable in combat.
Mounted Combat This feat allows automatic control in combat of a single species of war trained mount.
Armor Class Base armor class sometimes increases when a character gets a level. This number replaces the ‘10’ in your ac calculations. For example, a level 10 fighter with a Dex mod of 2 and no armor would have a total of 16base + 2 Dex = 18 AC. To find the base ac for a multiclass character, take the average. Ie, a 2monk 2fighter would be 11+13/2 or 12 base ac. (Table omitted, because it looks funky and I'm not confident in my table-making skills. However, its basically a scale like BAB)

A good amount of these were respectfully ganked from house rule threads found here, and I don't claim to make them up myself. My most elaborate set of rules can be found [url=http://www.voleta.com/dnd/rules.htm].

Fax Celestis
2007-03-07, 06:34 PM
TWF When two-weapon fighting, attacking with both hands is a standard action, as long as you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. That is, you can move your speed and then attack with both hands once.
Classes Druids use the shapechange PHB-II variant. Clerics use the Cloistered Cleric UA variant. Sorcerors use the Battle Sorceror UA variant.
Spells Endure Elements acts as the 3.0 version.
Attacks Coup de Graces are made as follows: Roll damage. Multiply for critical. Add in precision damage dice if applicable. Receiving end of the CdG makes a fortitude save vs. half the damage dealt or dies.
Experience Experience will be awarded at specific points in the adventure (usually when you rest). At that point, I will ask for "awards" and set an amount. Each participant gets to award another participant for actions in game since the last experience checkpoint. Anyone receiving such an award will immediately gain the amount of experience I named.
NPCs Commoners use an alternative level system I've come up with.
Gear Masterwork weapons can receive +1 to attack or +1 to damage. Magical properties overwrite this.
Feats All characters receive a nationality feat for free at first level.
Cheese The Spiked Chain, weapon of cheesygoodness, does not exist.

Grim Greyscale
2007-03-07, 06:51 PM
Bah. I don't like house rules that much, so I really just have the one: If a skill is a class skill for any of your classes, it's a class skill for all of them. Saves so much paperwork.

Dhavaer
2007-03-07, 07:05 PM
Houserules

Fast Hero defence is lowered. (As now -1)

Archaic Weaponsmaster has 1:1 BAB.

The Multilingual feat is not a bonus feat, can only be taken by natives (Shadow or mundane) and gives up to your Int bonus in languages.

All species have two feats at level one, except moreaus.

Massive damage is equal to Con or half hp, whichever is lower.

The Drive and Pilot skills use the Perform mechanic instead of the Vehicle Operation feats.

Cantrips and Orisons may be cast spontaneously by prepared casters, and spontaneous casters know all 0 level spells on their list. High ability scores give bonus 0 level spells.

Drow racial traits are:
120ft. darkvision + light sensitivity or 60ft. darkvision
+2 Dex +2 Int +2 Cha
6 + HD spell resistance
+2 to saves against spells and spell-likes
+2 to saves against negative energy
+2 to Search, Spot and Listen checks
1/day Prestidigiation, No Light
Archaic Weapons Proficiency
Drow Sign as a bonus language
+2 LA

Tiefling racial traits are:
Outsider type
+2 Dex +2 Int +2 Cha
60ft. Darkvision
Resistance to Cold, Fire and Electricity 5
+2 to Bluff and Hide
Infernal as a bonus language
+1 LA

Aasimar racial traits are:
Outsider type
+2 Con +2 Wis +2 Cha
60ft. Darkvision
Acid, Cold and Electricity Resistance 5
Archaic Weapon Proficiency
+2 Spot and Listen
Celestial as a bonus language
+1 LA

Shadowkin racial traits are:
+1 to saves
Shadow heritage as a bonus feat

Half-orc racial traits are:
+2 Str, -2 Int
60ft. Darkvision
-2 saves against light
+2 saves against disease
+1 natural armour
Orc as a bonus language

Orc racial traits are:

+4 Str, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha
60ft. Darkvision
Light Sensitivity
+4 saves against disease
+2 natural armour
Archaic Weapons Proficiency, Armour Proficiency (Light, Medium)
Orc as sole starting language

There are no Chaos/Evil/Good/Law allegiances.
The is no Abyssal language. Infernal is a the language of all fiends.
Weapon Finesse applies to all appropriate weapons.
Dragonbloods and half-dragons require 6 hours of sleep every 24 hours, and can split this into periods of 2 hours minimum.
Elves and drow trance for 4 hours a night, tieflings and aasimar trance for 8 hours and half-elves sleep for 6 hours but can't split it.
Everyone else needs the full 8.

Other Shadowkin ages:
Dwarves 300
Elves 700
Gnomes 200
Goblins 30
Half-Elves 250
Half-Orcs 60
Halflings 150
Orcs 40
Shadowkin 200
Snakeblooded 120
Aasimar 1000
Bugbear 100
Dragonblooded 300
Drow 550
Gnoll 40
Half-Dragon 800
Half-Ogre 140
Ogre 220
Tiefling 1000

Khantalas
2007-03-07, 07:08 PM
House Rules... OK.

Arcane magic doesn't exist. Divine magic is limited to archivists. Casting spells carry the risk of being tainted unless you have a vestige bound. Psionics rule.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-07, 07:11 PM
Right, I forgot one: Dromites If you're a Dromite, the DM will love you forever.

Matthew
2007-03-07, 07:11 PM
I don't use any House Rules for D&D 3.x, but mainly because once I start, I can't stop. I play D&D 3.x for short, usually prewritten, campaigns and one off adventures. I save my House Rules for my long term (A)D&D 2.x game.

Khantalas
2007-03-07, 07:12 PM
Right, I forgot one: Dromites If you're a Dromite, the DM will love you forever.

I do that for gnomes. The world must be all gnomes. Gnomes for the win. I want to be a gnome with purple hair.

silentknight
2007-03-07, 07:25 PM
I set the DC for Knowledge checks to know stuff about monsters encountered as 10 + CR. If they fail the check, the characters just basically know the description as found in the MM. If they make their check, then they can look in the MM for special abilities, SR, DR, etc...

A character effectively has 1 rank when Knowledge checks about their race are required.

Longswords and scimitars are eligible for weapon finesse.

I used to stack criticals, but no longer....
If you roll a hit that threatens a critical, you then roll to confirm the critical. If THAT roll then threatens a critical, you roll again to confirm that critical, etc..... The effect is that each time the critical is confirmed (except the first time) the damage multiplier increases by 1 (x2 becomes x3, x3 becomes x4...).

Gnome Barbarian
2007-03-07, 07:28 PM
My favorite house rule is if you role a nat20 on a skill check you then get to roll another d20 if that beats the total number of ranks you have in that skill+10 then you gain a free rank in that skill.

We us this to show that you did that skill so good that you have learned something new about doing that skill.

Example: Aramil the Elf Ranger rolls a nat20 on a Surivial check. He has 4 ranks in survival. He then rolls another d20 and gets a 15. He now has 4 ranks in surivival and misc. rank of 1. If his second role was a 14 or lower he wouldn't get the bonus misc rank.

Saph
2007-03-07, 07:37 PM
Here are the houserules I enforce:

1. If You Said it, You Said It

Everything said by the players is assumed to be in character unless specified otherwise. Yes, this takes up in-game time, and yes, other people can overhear you.

2. Your character is a WHAT?

Everything from non-core books has to be GM-approved. This includes prestige classes. It's recommended to clear a PrC with the GM before building a character, in case the answer turns out to be 'no'.

3. Turns Out Those Skills Were Useful After All

Your characters do NOT know the stats of every enemy in the Monster Manual. When you run into a monster, you'll get a Knowledge (x) check - the higher you roll, the more info you'll get. I know it's hard for experienced players not to metagame at least a little bit, but overdo it and the monsters will start metagaming back with bad consequences.

4. Now Entering a Cheese-Free Zone

Don't make cheesy characters. I'm not going to define what is and isn't a cheesy character, because I think you already know - use your common sense. By the same token, don't exploit loopholes, and try not to take overpowered spells or items. If you're not sure whether something qualifies, ask the GM.

Along the same lines, the GM will very greatly appreciate it if you make some effort to try and balance the relative power levels of the characters in the party. Trying to design a balanced encounter for a monk, a ranger, a ninja, and a Wizard/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil/Archmage just plain sucks.

5. Play Fast

RPGs are most fun and most exciting when they go at a quick pace. This applies double to combat. Try and help battles go along quickly. This means: know your abilities so you don't have to look things up, decide your action ahead of time so you can announce it fast, and don't have long involved tactical discussions with the other players in the middle of a combat round.

6. Death and Reincarnation

New characters start one level below the average level of the party, rounded down.

7. Law of Balance

I'll adjust CRs and monster stats in general to mirror the party's power level. If your PCs are stronger than average, you'll face stronger enemies; if you're weaker, you'll face weaker ones. Optimising your character is a fun pastime, but it won't make you more likely to win your battles.

8. Miscellaneous

Sorcerers get Eschew Materials for free at 1st-level. Polymorph, Shapechange, etc. do not exist. Ability damage spells like Ray of Stupidity that allow you to one-shot things that you shouldn't be able to one-shot do not exist. Bards and other users of the Perform skill can use the skill to do different kinds of performance, within limits. Falling further than a certain distance kills you, I don't care how many HP you have. You're allowed to make a wisdom check as a common sense roll when you're about to do something stupid. Druids can't talk to other players while wildshaped, including OOC tactics discussions. Wizards are allowed to have conversations while resting to prepare spells. The 8 hour understanding time and 24 hour scribing time for wizards to put a new spell into a spellbook is handwaved to 1 day per spell, because I don't really want to work out exactly how many hours you're sleeping/eating/preparing and the rest of the party is bored and wants to get a move on. Fighters, etc. can figure out the enhancement bonus of a new weapon after one battle or so. It's the responsibility of players to keep track of encumbrance and supplies - failure to do so can lead to the GM enforcing it arbitrarily in the middle of an adventure.

9. And Just Because I Said So

You are not allowed to play any of the following:

- Drizzt
- A clone of Drizzt
- Cloud
- Neo
- Spiderman
- Wolverine
- An Ewok
- Angel

(all actual character concepts I've seen / had described in detail.) Playing any of these makes your character liable to be forbidden, mercilessly mocked, killed by DM fiat, or all three.

- Saph

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-07, 07:47 PM
Here are the houserules I enforce:

1. If You Said it, You Said It

Everything said by the players is assumed to be in character unless specified otherwise. Yes, this takes up in-game time, and yes, other people can overhear you.
--snip--
5. Play Fast

RPGs are most fun and most exciting when they go at a quick pace. This applies double to combat. Try and help battles go along quickly. This means: know your abilities so you don't have to look things up, decide your action ahead of time so you can announce it fast, and don't have long involved tactical discussions with the other players in the middle of a combat round.

I strongly support these, as my group can't go 1 round without 15 minutes of chat

- Drizzt
- A clone of Drizzt
- Cloud
- Neo
- Spiderman
- Wolverine
- An Ewok
- Angel

(all actual character concepts I've seen / had described in detail.) Playing any of these makes your character liable to be forbidden, mercilessly mocked, killed by DM fiat, or all three.

- Saph
for the last one, do you mean an angel, or the vampire from Buffy?

TheOOB
2007-03-07, 07:48 PM
Hmmm, I use a few

-No paladins, play a crusader or dawnblade(homebrewed class) instead
-Use homebrewed rogue, fighter, barbarian, and ranger varients that utilize manuvers, currently working on a sublime monk.
-The healing subschool is in Necromancy
-Deathwatch and Animate Dead are no longer evil spells
-Polymorph, Alter Self, Gate, Shapechange, and Cerelity(all versions) are banned(possibly a few i forgot)
-All druids use the PHBII shapeshift varient
-Bards, monks, and barbarians have no alignment prerequisites
-Skill points from high int are gained retroactivly
-Once a class skill always a class skill
-Use the GitP diplomacy varient
-The two-weapon fighting feat grants you a number of attacks with your off hand equal to the number you have with your primary hand, even with a standard attack action.
-Spellcasters gain bonus 0-level spell slots equal to their spellcasting attribute

Saph
2007-03-07, 07:51 PM
for the last one, do you mean an angel, or the vampire from Buffy?

The vampire from Buffy. If the PC I'm thinking of had any more angst, he would have been able to start a new White Wolf game.

- Saph

Saph
2007-03-07, 08:06 PM
A few more I forgot:

10. Diplomacy/Bluff

Works more or less as described in the PHB, but common sense applies. I don't care what your check result is, the red dragon is not going to believe you were just taking an inventory of his hoard and were going to put it all back later. Similarly, a good diplomacy check will make angry people listen to you - briefly. If you don't have something good to say as a follow-up they won't carry on listening for very long.

11. Huh? What?

Player attentiveness = character attentiveness. If a player reacts to something instantly, the character does too. If the other two players were talking to each other and weren't paying attention to the GM, then their characters weren't paying attention either.

12. Not Just Pass Or Fail

Skill or ability checks work on a sliding scale. The more you beat the DC by, the better your result is. The worse you miss it by, the worse your result is.

- Saph

Swordguy
2007-03-07, 08:41 PM
Please note: I run very Tolkein-esque games. Magic is infrequent (a mage-capable human is roughly 1-100,000).

D+D House Rules v1.1
RULE ZERO) Common sense applies at my discretion. I don't care what RAW have to say. (see also: drowning, diplomancy cheese)

1) Allowed books for PCs: PHB, DMG PrCs, Complete Arc, War, Adv, Div.
A) Please note: other books, including Exalted Deeds, Vile Darkness, and Erotic Fantasy, may be in play.

2) Barred Races: Gnome (barbarian savages from across the frontier) , ˝-orcs (tend to be killed on sight)

3) Barred Classes: Barbarian, Monk
3a) Resticted classes: Wizards, Druids, Sorcerers, Clerics (all require GM permission and a statement of why you're so special - elf wizards, human sorcerers, dwarven clerics are exempt from this)

4) Racial Modifications
A) Elves
1) Favored Class: Wizard
B) Half-Elves
1) +1 Dex, -1 Con
2) Choose one: +1 Feat @ 1st Level OR +4 Skill Points at 1st lvl, +1 point at each higher lvl.
C) Human
1) High Men: Age as Dwarves, can qualify for the Kai Lord Class, no bonus feat at 1st lvl, base Willpower equal to ˝ Wisdom score plus their Wisdom modifier; they do gain the standard human skill point bonuses.
2) Man: Age as Human, standard human rules.
D) Dwarves
1) Standard rules: auto-proficient with either the Dwarven Waraxe, Military Pick, or Hammer. In all cases, Dwarves are proficent with all forms of armor (but not Shields). Dwarves lose their “Stability Bonus” unless they gain their racial armor proficiencies from a Class.
E) Halflings
1) Standard rules: Automatic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised Thrown Weapons)

5) Class Modifications
A) All classes gain Perception as a class skill
B) All classes gain +2 skill points per level
C) All classes gain a number of Knowledge skills as class skills equal to their Int modifier (specific skills depended on DM
approval).
D) Wizards automatically know 2 spells per level from the spells they have availible to them at the time. A wizard may not select any spell to be learned automatically from the class lists, but only from scrolls or spellbooks that he has not previously successfully made the roll to learn. In this case, no roll is required; the Wizard automatically understands the spell.
E) Clerics must submit a list of spells they wish to be granted for that day. The God reserves the right to give different spells that requested, based on the needs of the God in question. This will be a rare event, however.
F) Clerics receive a base Hit Die of a d6 and lose their Heavy Armor proficiency.

5) Skill Modifications
A) Listen and Spot are now Perception (Wis)
B) Hide and Move Silently are now Stealth (Dex)

6) Attribute Modifications
A) All PCs gain the attribute “Appearance” (therefore roll x7 4d6 (disc low) at character creation). The following skills may be keyed off Appearance at the discretion of the DM (dependent on situation): Diplomacy, Bluff, Gather Information, Intimidate, and selected Profession skills. In addition, some charm-style effects will key off of Appearance instead of Charisma. For example, a Nymph’s Blinding Beauty ability now keyes off of Appearance.

6) Psionics
A) Psionic Characters are those who receive the Psionic Combatant ability as a class skill, select the Psionic Combatant feat (prereq Int 13+, if selected after character creation Base Will save of 5+). Psionic characters receive Willpower equal to 5+Wisdom modifier unless otherwise stated in class abilities (+Wis modifier per level).
B) Willpower are used in the same manner as Power Points to power psychic abilities. They also exact as extra hit point (lost off the top) against psionic attacks (a PC may always choose not to lose Willpower from a psionic attack, taking the damage to hit points instead, ths choice must be made before the incoming damage is rolled). When Willpower is depleted, the PC is considered to be fatigued until regaining at least 1 point of Willpower.
C) Psionic combat is conducted as found on page XXX of the Lone Wolf RPG book. This includes Psionic Attack bonus and Psionic AC, and the miscellaneous attack and defense forms.
D) In general, monsteres with the telepathy ability will be psionic combatants.
E) Non-psionic characters have an effective psychic AC of 0. However, upon successfully being attack via psychic abilities, they are entitled to a Will Save (DC equal to attacker’s Psychic Attack Roll) for ˝-damage.

7) Armor Modifications
A) Light Armor=DR 1/-
B) Medium Armor=DR 2/-
C) Heavy Armor=DR 3/-
D) Special Materials
1) Adamite provides +2 DR
2) Dragonhide provides +1 DR
3) Mithril provides +1 DR
E) Magic Bonuses
1) Add the magic bonus (divided by 2, rounded up) to the armor’s DR.
F) The following damage types are not subject to being reduced from armor-based DR: force damage (magic missile, et al), falling damage, drowning damage, psionic damage, coup de grace damage.
G) Critical Hits bypass armor-based Damage Reduction
H) Magic weapons bypass armor-based DR if the weapon enhancement bonus is greater than the magic enhancement bonus to the armor. Do not apply weapno/armor qualities to this. (eg: a +3 ghost touch longsword will bypass armor-based DR if the armor is a +2 enhancement bonus or less).

8) Religion
A) Standard gods from the PHB are in play. Other, lesser gods from other sources may be in play, but are not commonly encounteres. A player wishing to play a cleric from one of these other gods may petion the DM for permission.
B) In human/High Man lands, the primary gods publicly worshipped are Pelor (NG), Heironeous (LG), St. Cuthbert (LN), Aluraan (BoEF – personal and agricultural fetility and healing goddess). Other gods are worshipped when needed, but these are the dieties with entrenched, established religions.
C) Elves worship Corellon Larethian. They will give blessing when needed to Ehlonna and Pelor as secondary gods. They rarely call upon the others.
D) Dwarves call upon Moradin for pretty much everything.
E) Halflings call upon Yondalla, with secondary gods Pelor, Obad-hai, and Ehlonna.
F) DOMAINS
1) Any given god can have several different domains. Make a case to the DM for permission to have a particular domain while worshipping a particular god.

9) Magic
A) Memorized Arcane Magic: this is an elven racial magic. This is also a Human racial magic, but this is unknown at game on.
B) Spontaneous Arcane Magic: this is a High Man and (very rarely) a Halfling magic
C) Bardic Arcane Magic: any race may cast bardic arcane magic if they are a bard.
D) Barred Schools and Spells at start of play. Some spells may become availible to PC as the campaign continues.
1) Divination is heavily restricted. The following Divination spells are banned: Comprehend Languages; Detect Thoughts, Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Arcane Eye, Detect Scrying, Scrying, Prying Eyes, Contact Other Plane, Greater Scrying, Discern Location, Greater Prying Eyes.
2) Conjuration is heavily resticted. Any spell that involves travel or summoning from other planes is banned (Summon Monster X, Gate, Planar Shift).
3) Some other schools have lost spells. Spells generally involving other planes are banned (Banishment, Etherealness).
4) The following spells are flat-out banned (this list may be added to depending on what seems broken during play as per a group vote): Polymorph, Time Stop.
5) The fact that spells involving planar travel have been romoved does not infer the elimination of spells and effects that create extra-dimensional space. For example, Rope Trick is still a valid spell, and Bags of Holding still exist.

10) World Notes:
A) Planar Lore: the existence of other planes is not known in this world (as yet). Therefore, Knowledge(the Planes) is not a legal skill.

Redwizard26
2007-03-07, 09:35 PM
Please note: I run very Tolkein-esque games. Magic is infrequent (a mage-capable human is roughly 1-100,000).

D+D House Rules v1.1
RULE ZERO) Common sense applies at my discretion. I don't care what RAW have to say. (see also: drowning, diplomancy cheese)

1) Allowed books for PCs: PHB, DMG PrCs, Complete Arc, War, Adv, Div.
A) Please note: other books, including Exalted Deeds, Vile Darkness, and Erotic Fantasy, may be in play.

2) Barred Races: Gnome (barbarian savages from across the frontier) , ˝-orcs (tend to be killed on sight)

3) Barred Classes: Barbarian, Monk
3a) Resticted classes: Wizards, Druids, Sorcerers, Clerics (all require GM permission and a statement of why you're so special - elf wizards, human sorcerers, dwarven clerics are exempt from this)

4) Racial Modifications
A) Elves
1) Favored Class: Wizard
B) Half-Elves
1) +1 Dex, -1 Con
2) Choose one: +1 Feat @ 1st Level OR +4 Skill Points at 1st lvl, +1 point at each higher lvl.
C) Human
1) High Men: Age as Dwarves, can qualify for the Kai Lord Class, no bonus feat at 1st lvl, base Willpower equal to ˝ Wisdom score plus their Wisdom modifier; they do gain the standard human skill point bonuses.
2) Man: Age as Human, standard human rules.
D) Dwarves
1) Standard rules: auto-proficient with either the Dwarven Waraxe, Military Pick, or Hammer. In all cases, Dwarves are proficent with all forms of armor (but not Shields). Dwarves lose their “Stability Bonus” unless they gain their racial armor proficiencies from a Class.
E) Halflings
1) Standard rules: Automatic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised Thrown Weapons)

5) Class Modifications
A) All classes gain Perception as a class skill
B) All classes gain +2 skill points per level
C) All classes gain a number of Knowledge skills as class skills equal to their Int modifier (specific skills depended on DM
approval).
D) Wizards automatically know 2 spells per level from the spells they have availible to them at the time. A wizard may not select any spell to be learned automatically from the class lists, but only from scrolls or spellbooks that he has not previously successfully made the roll to learn. In this case, no roll is required; the Wizard automatically understands the spell.
E) Clerics must submit a list of spells they wish to be granted for that day. The God reserves the right to give different spells that requested, based on the needs of the God in question. This will be a rare event, however.
F) Clerics receive a base Hit Die of a d6 and lose their Heavy Armor proficiency.

5) Skill Modifications
A) Listen and Spot are now Perception (Wis)
B) Hide and Move Silently are now Stealth (Dex)

6) Attribute Modifications
A) All PCs gain the attribute “Appearance” (therefore roll x7 4d6 (disc low) at character creation). The following skills may be keyed off Appearance at the discretion of the DM (dependent on situation): Diplomacy, Bluff, Gather Information, Intimidate, and selected Profession skills. In addition, some charm-style effects will key off of Appearance instead of Charisma. For example, a Nymph’s Blinding Beauty ability now keyes off of Appearance.

6) Psionics
A) Psionic Characters are those who receive the Psionic Combatant ability as a class skill, select the Psionic Combatant feat (prereq Int 13+, if selected after character creation Base Will save of 5+). Psionic characters receive Willpower equal to 5+Wisdom modifier unless otherwise stated in class abilities (+Wis modifier per level).
B) Willpower are used in the same manner as Power Points to power psychic abilities. They also exact as extra hit point (lost off the top) against psionic attacks (a PC may always choose not to lose Willpower from a psionic attack, taking the damage to hit points instead, ths choice must be made before the incoming damage is rolled). When Willpower is depleted, the PC is considered to be fatigued until regaining at least 1 point of Willpower.
C) Psionic combat is conducted as found on page XXX of the Lone Wolf RPG book. This includes Psionic Attack bonus and Psionic AC, and the miscellaneous attack and defense forms.
D) In general, monsteres with the telepathy ability will be psionic combatants.
E) Non-psionic characters have an effective psychic AC of 0. However, upon successfully being attack via psychic abilities, they are entitled to a Will Save (DC equal to attacker’s Psychic Attack Roll) for ˝-damage.

7) Armor Modifications
A) Light Armor=DR 1/-
B) Medium Armor=DR 2/-
C) Heavy Armor=DR 3/-
D) Special Materials
1) Adamite provides +2 DR
2) Dragonhide provides +1 DR
3) Mithril provides +1 DR
E) Magic Bonuses
1) Add the magic bonus (divided by 2, rounded up) to the armor’s DR.
F) The following damage types are not subject to being reduced from armor-based DR: force damage (magic missile, et al), falling damage, drowning damage, psionic damage, coup de grace damage.
G) Critical Hits bypass armor-based Damage Reduction
H) Magic weapons bypass armor-based DR if the weapon enhancement bonus is greater than the magic enhancement bonus to the armor. Do not apply weapno/armor qualities to this. (eg: a +3 ghost touch longsword will bypass armor-based DR if the armor is a +2 enhancement bonus or less).

8) Religion
A) Standard gods from the PHB are in play. Other, lesser gods from other sources may be in play, but are not commonly encounteres. A player wishing to play a cleric from one of these other gods may petion the DM for permission.
B) In human/High Man lands, the primary gods publicly worshipped are Pelor (NG), Heironeous (LG), St. Cuthbert (LN), Aluraan (BoEF – personal and agricultural fetility and healing goddess). Other gods are worshipped when needed, but these are the dieties with entrenched, established religions.
C) Elves worship Corellon Larethian. They will give blessing when needed to Ehlonna and Pelor as secondary gods. They rarely call upon the others.
D) Dwarves call upon Moradin for pretty much everything.
E) Halflings call upon Yondalla, with secondary gods Pelor, Obad-hai, and Ehlonna.
F) DOMAINS
1) Any given god can have several different domains. Make a case to the DM for permission to have a particular domain while worshipping a particular god.

9) Magic
A) Memorized Arcane Magic: this is an elven racial magic. This is also a Human racial magic, but this is unknown at game on.
B) Spontaneous Arcane Magic: this is a High Man and (very rarely) a Halfling magic
C) Bardic Arcane Magic: any race may cast bardic arcane magic if they are a bard.
D) Barred Schools and Spells at start of play. Some spells may become availible to PC as the campaign continues.
1) Divination is heavily restricted. The following Divination spells are banned: Comprehend Languages; Detect Thoughts, Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Arcane Eye, Detect Scrying, Scrying, Prying Eyes, Contact Other Plane, Greater Scrying, Discern Location, Greater Prying Eyes.
2) Conjuration is heavily resticted. Any spell that involves travel or summoning from other planes is banned (Summon Monster X, Gate, Planar Shift).
3) Some other schools have lost spells. Spells generally involving other planes are banned (Banishment, Etherealness).
4) The following spells are flat-out banned (this list may be added to depending on what seems broken during play as per a group vote): Polymorph, Time Stop.
5) The fact that spells involving planar travel have been romoved does not infer the elimination of spells and effects that create extra-dimensional space. For example, Rope Trick is still a valid spell, and Bags of Holding still exist.

10) World Notes:
A) Planar Lore: the existence of other planes is not known in this world (as yet). Therefore, Knowledge(the Planes) is not a legal skill.

Wow... that scares me... what are the throw backs to divination and conjuration they both seem almost useless now...
Mind you, I restrict the information gained by Divination and have special materials that work as AMF to Sub-Schools of most of the schools for magic. Comprehend Language I can understand and I see that the fluff of the setting would prohibit most of the planar activity but I could see summon creature X still working. (which prevents much cheese and really is just good for flanking)(besides the small fire elemental could be made the same way that that Orb of Fire spell is made) Though I guess due to the lack of magic in your setting it kinda makes sense.

ken-do-nim
2007-03-07, 10:06 PM

- Drizzt
- A clone of Drizzt
- Cloud
- Neo
- Spiderman
- Wolverine
- An Ewok
- Angel

- Saph

One poster on these boards brilliantly came up with a Nightcrawler build using monk/warlock and the Sun School feat. C'mon, you just gotta allow that!

Edit: oh, and he probably used some dark-blue colored race with a tail; I don't remember what.

Dhavaer
2007-03-07, 10:15 PM
One poster on these boards brilliantly came up with a Nightcrawler build using monk/warlock and the Sun School feat. C'mon, you just gotta allow that!

Edit: oh, and he probably used some dark-blue colored race with a tail; I don't remember what.

It was Rei Jin, he didn't have any particular way of looking like Nightcrawler, as I recall.

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-07, 10:18 PM
It was Rei Jin, he didn't have any particular way of looking like Nightcrawler, as I recall.

A Hat of Disguise, maybe?

Olethros
2007-03-07, 10:27 PM
I don't have standing house rules, exept that if I ever feel the need to revamp the way something is written to any substantial degree, that thing is not allowed in my game, if at any point the game needs substantially revamped to be fun, the game is no longer allowed.

Saved printer ink.

Vodun
2007-03-07, 11:21 PM
Ive qualified the Scimitar for weapon finesse, simply because its the exact same damn thing as the rapier, just slashing instead of piercing.

Ive made the sap a simple weapon, simply because I cant imagine it being used in any other way than a club.

Ive applied common sense to the polymorph spells and anything like it (if your character has never seen anything but the underground for his entire life, he has no damned idea what wings are.)

Ive given PCs at level one (excluding rogues) 3 extra skill points to put only in class skills.

Ive eliminated the dire flail, due to a horrid experience with a first-time player
(it involved three natural ones in a row, stupid decisions, and nobody uses the dire flail anyways.)

In the Heirophant PrC, Ive made the axis necessary for a few abilities only to be one opposite of the heirophant (for example, a LG heirophant can still consider a NE, LE, or CE villan an infidel.)

If a druid decides to take the natural spell feat, Ive decided to have a time limit for the wild shape trait, thats determined using the specific wildshape and original CON score of the druid.

Ive allowed the shortsword to do slashing or piercing damage.

Isomenes
2007-03-07, 11:27 PM
My DM's got very few house rules, actually, but the one that stands out is Full Hit Dice. All characters and monsters have max hit points per hit die. Saves time on the leveling end, and makes things... interesting... in-game.

PnP Fan
2007-03-08, 12:11 AM
I usually stay away from house rules as a DM, but one of my groups is very big on them. We use the following house rules:
1. All Characters have a 7th attribute called Luck. The bonus it generates Karma points per level. Karma points (like the old Marvel game) allow the player to re-roll d20's. In my games, since everyone is so attached to the luck attribute, I give extra Action Dice since I run mostly Eberron.
2. Max hp/level.
3. Once a class skill, always a class skill. Additionally, there are a number of skills that fall under an "innate" category (listen, search, spot, for example), that anyone could conceivably practice and improve at, and those are class skills for everyone. This mostly stems from the general dislike of the Rogue class by the folks who wrote the house rules.
4. Generally changing characters costs one level of experience on the new character. Sometimes this gets waived if the death was not expected, or due to some extraordinary bizarre luck. GM fiat. This is mostly because several of us buy splatbooks, and we'd change characters with every new splatbook, given the opportunity to do so.
5. Any third party book is acceptable (I usually nix this one when I'm running. But then, I'm a little more rules-crunchy than most of the folks in the group)
6. Attribute generation tends to be 4d6, re-roll one's, then drop the lowest die. We wind up with some pretty uber characters. On top of this, some game masters will also allow trading of points around. I usually give point buy, and give a high end number of points.

dorshe1
2007-03-08, 12:12 AM
Toughness feat is 3 hp when you take it and an additional 1 hp every two levels after that.

Lightning reflexes, iron will, and great fortitude give a +3 instead of a +2.

You have 10 seconds to announce your action and start rolling during combat. If you don't your character 'freezes' and I assume they are refocusing for the next round.

In order to keep the table light and having fun if someone makes a joke or an intuitive observation at the table I give out 'fate points.' Essentially the PCs are fated to do well. Each fate point can be used to re-roll a given roll that didn't go well for the character, or make the DM re-roll. It could also be used for 1d6 of magical healing.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-03-08, 12:22 AM
I currently do not use too many house rules, i've changed planetouched to templates cause it seems like there could be a gnome aasimar or a drow tiefling. also I have decided that if the character can give a valid reason they can remove alignment restrictions, (I.e. a paladin that has levels in barbarian, so he rages at the sight of injustice)

Seatbelt
2007-03-08, 12:26 AM
House Rules... OK.

Arcane magic doesn't exist. Divine magic is limited to archivists. Casting spells carry the risk of being tainted unless you have a vestige bound. Psionics rule.

Creepy. Do you live in Madison wisconsin, and are you running a game with two creepy Elans, a half-ilithid, a dude with a huge sword and an anime character?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-03-08, 01:19 AM
We're a very lenient group, one main houserule is almost anything goes. But there are lots of restrictions we put on ourselves due to roleplay reasons. Say there's an evil diety that lives in the positive energy plane, a cleric of that diety cannot take the tomb-tained soul feat unless they had a VERY good reason. But there are some I employ in my campaigns that are a constant.

Retroactive skill points: Skill-points are gained as if it's always been that high the whole time, even with magical enhancements. Although magical enhancments to Intelligence also provide these bonus skill points but the skill points gained through this manner must be recorded and kept track of in case the magic item is removed or destroyed. If they are not kept track of, the DM will decide which skill-points are to be removed...

No generic half-fiends or celestials: They both use the half-fiendish variety (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x) variant because it only makes sense. Plus as a DM and a PC, I love making up what a mixed breed fiend/celestial descriptions. There's even a half-succubus in my current party.

Improving Sorcerers: At the cost of a 2,000 gp gemstone, 3 permenant hitpoints and a week-long ritual a sorcerer may increase thier spells known/spells per day as if they were a sorcerer of one level higher, this means they have the same spells at the same level of a wizard, so a sorcerer of 11th level has 6th level spells. Rockin'.

Ikkitosen
2007-03-08, 05:25 AM
To all the people offering max hp/level - do you likewise have DD spells do max damage per die? If not you're nerfing them even more than they are already.

Khantalas
2007-03-08, 05:26 AM
Creepy. Do you live in Madison wisconsin, and are you running a game with two creepy Elans, a half-ilithid, a dude with a huge sword and an anime character?

Well, no. There is a reason for those rules. That is, it is Faerun around 1480 DR, the gods have died, taint is everywhere and works like the Weave, only it can, well, taint you. Archivists are the only existing spellcasters because it is cool to be searching for old divine lore to attain more power. I might introduce a sorcerer sometime, though. Psionics rule because they do not draw upon the Weave, thus have no dependency on taint. Besides, they are just really cool. If you bind a vestige to yourself, it becomes the source of your ability to shape raw magic, rather than taint.

See? Logic is everywhere.

And I have never set foot upon America. Also, no huge swords unless you can find someone to make you special gloves that allow you to carry the huge sword, and no anime characters because I don't watch that much anime (the last one I watched was Card Captor Sakura, and I couldn't even finish it). No half-illithids, either, because illithids are very reclusive lately.

Quietus
2007-03-08, 11:06 AM
To all the people offering max hp/level - do you likewise have DD spells do max damage per die? If not you're nerfing them even more than they are already.

My DM goes with max hp/level, and no, we don't max DD spells. A DD spell already does a massive amount of damage, properly used; The intent isn't to bring down a single enemy, usually. It's to weaken a LOT of enemies.

Other houserules used:

No such thing as class skills. Make the character you want, and select skills based on your character's fluff. However, if your character isn't playing to that fluff, I reserve the right to make those ranks cross-class (which could eliminate your ability to take levels in that prestige class you wanted next level, or disallow you access to the feat you took at level 3 that requires 4 ranks in Skill X). And no, without some extraordinary outside influence, you can't change those ranks. Deal with it.

Max HP/level - our games basically assume that if its CR is less than three times the party level, no matter how many people are in the party, it's fair game for random encounters. We NEED the max HP.

Creativity is rewarded - No, the RAW won't let you do that. But it's unique, creative, makes sense, and is the only chance you have at surviving? Then get rolling!

Natural 1's are not automatic fails, and natural 20's are not automatic hits. -10 to the die on a nat 1, and +10 on the die for a nat 20.

There's a pile of others, but I can't bring them to mind right now.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-08, 03:35 PM
Hmmm, I use a few

-The healing subschool is in Necromancy
-Deathwatch and Animate Dead are no longer evil spells
-Bards, monks, and barbarians have no alignment prerequisites
-Skill points from high int are gained retroactivly
-Once a class skill always a class skill
-Use the GitP diplomacy varient
-The two-weapon fighting feat grants you a number of attacks with your off hand equal to the number you have with your primary hand, even with a standard attack action.
-Spellcasters gain bonus 0-level spell slots equal to their spellcasting attribute

I like these home rules of your's. I've already decided most of them before hand (such as healing being a subset of necromancy).

My favorite house rule is if you role a nat20 on a skill check you then get to roll another d20 if that beats the total number of ranks you have in that skill+10 then you gain a free rank in that skill.

We us this to show that you did that skill so good that you have learned something new about doing that skill.

Example: Aramil the Elf Ranger rolls a nat20 on a Surivial check. He has 4 ranks in survival. He then rolls another d20 and gets a 15. He now has 4 ranks in surivival and misc. rank of 1. If his second role was a 14 or lower he wouldn't get the bonus misc rank.

Good idea, I'll use this one.

I set the DC for Knowledge checks to know stuff about monsters encountered as 10 + CR. If they fail the check, the characters just basically know the description as found in the MM. If they make their check, then they can look in the MM for special abilities, SR, DR, etc...

A character effectively has 1 rank when Knowledge checks about their race are required.

Good house rule. I'll use it.

TWF When two-weapon fighting, attacking with both hands is a standard action, as long as you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. That is, you can move your speed and then attack with both hands once.
Classes Druids use the shapechange PHB-II variant. Clerics use the Cloistered Cleric UA variant. Sorcerors use the Battle Sorceror UA variant.
Spells Endure Elements acts as the 3.0 version.
Attacks Coup de Graces are made as follows: Roll damage. Multiply for critical. Add in precision damage dice if applicable. Receiving end of the CdG makes a fortitude save vs. half the damage dealt or dies.
Experience Experience will be awarded at specific points in the adventure (usually when you rest). At that point, I will ask for "awards" and set an amount. Each participant gets to award another participant for actions in game since the last experience checkpoint. Anyone receiving such an award will immediately gain the amount of experience I named.
NPCs Commoners use an alternative level system I've come up with.
Gear Masterwork weapons can receive +1 to attack or +1 to damage. Magical properties overwrite this.
Feats All characters receive a nationality feat for free at first level.
Cheese The Spiked Chain, weapon of cheesygoodness, does not exist.

I like also like these house rules but I would overhaul the core druid class to make them more like the ancient Celtic priests. I would also allow players to decide wether to use the standard cleric (templer) or the cloistered cleric.

I have a ton of house rules that I tweak depending on the campagin. In my homebrew setting, I use one list. For an chat-based game I used others, and for my 'newbie' game, I dumbed it down to just the essentials.

The ones I dislike playing without are (copy and pasting from a file, so forgive setting-related comments):
General knowledge checks When encountering a creature, you may make a 1d20 + level + Int mod check to see if they've run into it before and remember it. Depending on your score, your char may remember some weak points and such.
Knowledge prompts I bring knowledge skills into play a lot.Whenever something remotely tied to a knowledge skill comes up, I call out the name of any knowledge skills related and the players then roll if they have the skill and declare which one they are using.
Background knowledge A lot of profession skills can be used as a knowledge skill, profession skills though always have a narrow scope compared to the broad base of a knowledge skill.
Intimidate You can use strength mod instead of charisma mod, especially when used in combat. You may also receive a circumstance bonus (or penalty) depending on the setting. For example, trying to convince a guard that you were an innocent bystander, while holding a bloody weapon, is not as easy as doing the same while trying to give CPR.
Prestige Class Before taking any pre-reqs for prestige classes, consult me about the PrC itself. This way, you don't end up in a bad spot if I disallow the PrC after you've taken a crappy feat.
Sorcerer Sorc gets as a bonus feat Eschew Materials. Flavor reasons mostly.
Multi Class No multiclass XP penalties, but all cheese builds musts be approved in advance.
Permanent Mounts Paladins get to keep their mount for an unlimited amount of time, but must quest for them once they are eligible. (This is worked through in the storyline).
Medic! Clerics are allowed to add their skill ranks in heal to their cure/inflict spells. i.e. Cure light wounds = 1d8+level+ranks in heal or Inflict light wounds = 1+ranks in heal. This shows that clerics know how the body works better than other classes.
Wizard Healer Disrupt Undead heals living creatures because it is positive Energy. (Makes sense to me)
Bardic Countersong can counter supernatural sonic effects, i.e. a harpy's Captivating Song.
Druid For the purposes of wild shaping a druid is only assumed to be familiar with animals common to the area the PC's live (Dm discretion) and any animals the party has actually fought (Dm discretion again). This really reins in some of the sillier attempts to abuse wild shape
Newbz New characters start one level below the party average. This rewards my other players for keeping their characters alive.
Rock Paper Scissors When enough party members die (three or more in one conflict) they face death together. If they beat death (combat, bluff, diplomacy, poker, blackjack, etc) they come back with 1hp.
Darwin If you die doing something stupid (i.e. taunting a dragon, etc.) you will be resurrected by a kindly druid who uses reincarnation to bring you back as a kobold, Halfling, or a slug.
Experience Whore At the end of the session I run something I like to refer to as Whoring. This idea was taking from another DM who took it from another before his and so on and so forth. When whoring, each player tells me what amazing things that they did that particular session (doesn't count combat). This includes puzzles, role playing, story line things, etc. After everyone has finished whoring, I give out bonus xp based off of what the players whored for that I thought was valid. What it ends up doing is making everyone pay attention and participate in a game.
The "Really?" House Rule Whenever a player does anything in a battle or such, the DM asks them "Really?” If the player responds "Really", the action is set in stone. The only way to change the action is with a wish spell cast soon afterwards.
Bonus Feat Start with a bonus feat from DM. (So, a level 1 human fighter gets 4 feats). The idea is that feats shape a character, and I like to have characters ideas in mind not just generic ranger or something.
Fewer Requirements If a feat other than Power Attack or Combat Expertise has Base Attack Bonus +1 as a prerequisite ignore it. This is a bone I throw to low-level rogues who need to pick up Weapon Finesse as quickly as possible to be viable in combat.
Mounted Combat This feat allows automatic control in combat of a single species of war trained mount.
Armor Class Base armor class sometimes increases when a character gets a level. This number replaces the ‘10’ in your ac calculations. For example, a level 10 fighter with a Dex mod of 2 and no armor would have a total of 16base + 2 Dex = 18 AC. To find the base ac for a multiclass character, take the average. Ie, a 2monk 2fighter would be 11+13/2 or 12 base ac. (Table omitted, because it looks funky and I'm not confident in my table-making skills. However, its basically a scale like BAB)

A good amount of these were respectfully ganked from house rule threads found here, and I don't claim to make them up myself. My most elaborate set of rules can be found [url=http://www.voleta.com/dnd/rules.htm]. I like all of your ideas Voleta, though I do have some problems with your wizard healer house rule. While the idea is good the execution is rather shoddy. I have my own ideas for wizard healers which I'll post latter.

Matthew
2007-03-08, 03:48 PM
I like also like these house rules but I would overhaul the core druid class to make them more like the ancient Celtic priests. I would also allow players to decide wether to use the standard cleric (templer) or the cloistered cleric.

A laudable, but pretty much impossible, task, given the dearth of information we have about historical Druids. Still, it would be interesting to see the results. If you have the time, post it up in the Homebrew Forum.

I am not sure I would ever recommend allowing players to look in the Monster Manual as a result of Character Knowledge.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-08, 03:58 PM
Arcane healing is broken into two categories, medicinal and transferal. Medicinal necromancy involves using organic ingredients (material components) to perform magical surgery. A wizard using this form of magic can not use eschew material components to ignore the costs of the spell. Transferal necromancy requires the caster to magically cannibalize his or her body to heal those of others. Transferal necromancy is the only form of healing sorcerers can perform.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-08, 04:00 PM
A laudable, but pretty much impossible, task, given the dearth of information we have about historical Druids. Still, it would be interesting to see the results. If you have the time, post it up in the Homebrew Forum.

I am not sure I would ever recommend allowing players to look in the Monster Manual as a result of Character Knowledge.

Maybe the DM should recite a small amount of information him or herself.

nivek1234
2007-03-08, 05:17 PM
We play:

-Fumble rules on nat. 1s.
-Intimidate swaps CHA mod with STR mod if RPed properly (or circ bonuses).
-Failing a save against fear by more than 10 makes you paralyzed and, therefore, helpless.
-Spells to be learned are subject to DM approval.
-No psyonics.
-Anything outside core is subject to DM approval (Spell compendium allowed by one of our DMs but not the other).
-Bonuses of all types are given for creativity

Pocket lint
2007-03-08, 06:21 PM
I'm still contemplating what to use next time I DM. Some things my own, some snagged from a thread on the Wizards board:

1) Abilities:
* At first level, your HP is equal to your Con score (*NOT* modifier).
* Saves use the best ability bonus from a pair of abilities as follows:
Fortitude: Str and Con, Reflex: Dex and Wis, Will: Int and Cha

2) Races:
* Weapon familiarity: All races treat racial weapons belonging to their race as one level "closer": Martial weapons become Simple, and Exotic become Martial. For humans, the same holds true for weapons belonging to their culture.
* Multiclassing XP penalties do not apply. Instead, for every 5 levels taken in the racial favoured class, you get a bonus feat.
* Half-elves have favoured class: Ranger. Humans get one depending on culture.

3) Classes:
* No PC can have more than 3 base classes and 2 PrCs.
* Prestige classes are available after DM approval and all have a "test" that must be passed in order to gain entry. For DMG PrCs, I use the tests in Unearthed Arcana. For the rest, I'll make something up.
* Wizards & Sorcerers' "Summon Familiar" ability is now a bonus feat for these classes, and they gain a bonus feat at first level to compensate.
* Clerics:
Must worship a deity (no clerics devoted to Law or Chaos)
Do not gain domain spell slots. Instead they may "spontaneously cast" their domain spells.
Cure spells cast by a cleric with the Healing domain use d10s instead of d8s.
Gain proficiency of their deity's favored weapon. Lose heavy armour proficiency.
Get Sense Motive as a class skill.
* Druids:
Wild shape is restricted to animals the druid is personally familiar with. If a druid encounters a new kind of animal, spending at least a week in-game is required to gain familiarity with it.
The Natural Spell feat is disallowed, see below.
* Monks:
May multiclass freely, as long as they maintain a required alignment
* Paladins:
A paladin may be NG or LG.
May multiclass freely, as long as they maintain a required alignment, and the paladin doesn't violate his code of conduct.
The "smite evil" ability does +1d6 damage at first level, increasing by 1d6 every other level.
May trade in lay on hands healing ability of 10 points for cure poison, 20 for cure disease, 30 for remove ability damage and 40 to remove negative levels, as per the "Rebalanced paladin".
Instead of the cure disease ability, gain ability to call on divide guidance, for either a True Strike or Augury, as the spells. This is a spell-like ability.
* Rangers:
At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, all of the ranger's favored enemy bonus increases by +2. This bonus applies to all of the ranger's favored enemies.
A ranger's animal companion also gains his favored enemy bonuses.
Favored Environment: At any time when they could pick a favored enemy, a ranger can instead pick a favored environment. While in a favored environment, the ranger gains a +2 bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks. The ranger also gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks relating to his favored environments. These bonuses increase as per the ranger's favored enemy (see above).
Environments: Aquatic, Arctic, Desert, Forest, Marsh, Mountains/Hills, Plains, Underground
* Sorcerers:
Add Use Magic Device and Diplomacy to class skills.
Get Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at level 1.
When you take second level of sorcerer you awaken some of your innate power. You choose a heritage that grants you this power: Celestial, Draconic, Infernal, Fey, or Fiendish heritage. At 2nd, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th levels you gain a bonus heritage feat based on your heritage.
The feats for each can be found in the following sources:
Celestial: PHB II
Infernal: PHB II
Draconic: Complete Arcane, Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon
Fey: Complete Mage
Fiendish: Complete Mage

* Wizards:
Add Decipher Script to class skills.

4) Skills:
* All skill ranks cost 1 point regardless of whether it's a class skill or not. Cross-class skill caps remain, although any potential half-ranks are rounded down. Languages have no cap, but require an in-game reason for learning the language - teacher or spending time in that culture.
* Skill Synergy:
Synergy bonuses do not stack. On the other hand, in addition to a +2 Synergy bonus at 5 ranks, each additional 5 ranks increase the Synergy bonus by +1. (Eg: at 15 ranks the Synergy bonus would be +4)
* Aid Other:
The bonus is between -2 and +4, increasing by 1 for every 5 above or below 10 on the skill check. (10-14 gives +1, and so forth)

* Appraise: An Appraise check (DC 15) can identify an object as being of masterwork quality. An Appraise check (DC 25) can identify an object as being magical, although it won't tell you anything about magical properties the object possesses.
* Intimidate: When using intimidate, you can choose to use Str (imposing physique) or Cha (imposing willpower) as the base stat. These are two different ways of projecting menace. The roll is opposed by the target's Intimidate skill, using the same stat.
* Move silently: Larger and smaller creatures get size bonuses or penalties according to the same scale as Hide checks.
* Spellcraft: You gain a +5 circumstance bonus on Spellcraft checks if you have detect magic active, as long as the task doesn't require the use of detect magic.
* Tumble: When tumbling through a threatened area, the attacker gets a Reflex save against the tumble check result. If the save succeeds, this counts as a tumble failure according to the normal rules. If the save fails, the attack of opportunity is wasted. If the tumble is through the attacker's own square, the Reflex save gets a +5 bonus.

5) Feats:
* Feats from anywhere but PHB by DM approval.
* Natural spell is disallowed. If you want to cast spells in wildshape, use the Silent spell and/or Still spell metamagic feats.
* The Run and Skill focus(Jump) feats add an additional 5 ft. to the maximum distance of running long jumps. The bonuses stack.
* Martial Weapon Proficiency grants proficiency with an entire weapon group (swords, axes &c) - I never understood how you could learn only one specific weapon.
* Combat Reflexes provides a minimum of one extra attack of opportunity per round, even if your Dex is below 12.
* Mounted Combat feat grants its normal benefit as well as the benefit of the Ride-By Attack feat. In essence, these two feats have been rolled into one.
* Two-weapon Fighting grants you an off-hand attack as part of a standard attack action, in addition to the decreased penalties.

7) Equipment:
* The orc double axe is disallowed. Orcs and half-orcs use the "Dwarven ugrosh" instead, but with the "Orc" prefix. Dwarves lose the ugrosh as a racial weapon since they already have one.
* The dire flail, gnome hooked hammer, two-bladed sword, spiked chain and repeating crossbow are disallowed on grounds of being silly and impractical.
* In the interest of Fantasy cliches, the double crossbow is introduced. It's a light crossbow that has two bows above each other with separate triggers. It can be fired twice during a round, but each bow has to be loaded separately as a move-equivalent action.
* The buckler as written is removed. Instead, count this as a light steel shield.
* Armour spikes lower the AC of any armour they're attached to by 1. (Note: does not apply to shields)
* Masterwork armour has its maximum Dex bonus increased by one, but cost 300 over base price.

8) Combat:
* Reach Weapons:
A reach weapon can be used to attack an adjacent target with the same penalty as non-proficiency with the weapon. Ignore any damage bonuses due to wielding a weapon two-handed when doing so (IE: power attack and 1.5 Str bonus).
* The 5-foot step move action that is part of a full-round action counts as a swift action (i.e. no more archery or spellcasting in close combat w/o AoO). This counts against your move for this round.
* After successfully identifying a spell being cast with a Spellcraft check, a character may cast a counterspell without using a ready action. This counts as taking an attack of opportunity and the character casting the counterspell may only take a move action during his next turn.

10) Magic:
* Outside of combat, characters can "take 20" on healing checks and all heal spells give out their full effect. The same does not hold for potions/wands.
* No spell can ever increase your BAB (Divine Power being the most flagrant example).
* Potions: A character can take a tiny sip or a whiff of the aroma of a potion. On a successful Knowledge (arcane) or Craft (alchemy) check with a DC of 25 plus the spell level, the PC can successfully identify the potion. If it's a common potion that the character has used before, the DM may decide to drop this to a flat DC 15 check to recognize a familiar taste or particular color.
* Figments can flank, but doing so grants the flanked target an opportunity to disbelieve each round he is flanked.

PnP Fan
2007-03-09, 10:03 AM
Oh, I almost forgot, we also give enemies (as well as PCs) max hp per level, and we use wound points as well (basically a reserve of hp representing broken bones and greater physical injury, while hp represent muscle fatigue, light physical damag). Basically, living creatures in our campaigns tend to be fairly hearty compared to standard D&D. Damage dealing spells and AoE spells sometimes show up a little less powerful, but no less useful. It also helps give our fighters something to do.

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 10:17 AM
Wow... that scares me... what are the throw backs to divination and conjuration they both seem almost useless now...
Mind you, I restrict the information gained by Divination and have special materials that work as AMF to Sub-Schools of most of the schools for magic. Comprehend Language I can understand and I see that the fluff of the setting would prohibit most of the planar activity but I could see summon creature X still working. (which prevents much cheese and really is just good for flanking)(besides the small fire elemental could be made the same way that that Orb of Fire spell is made) Though I guess due to the lack of magic in your setting it kinda makes sense.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

In this world, the existence of other planes is a hypothesis only. It's never been confirmed or proven that other planes of existence actually exist. This is actually a MAJOR plot point (BBEG is the guy who figured it out and is using extraplanar stuff to do the "take over the world" thing). So spells regarding planar travel,etc can be researched in-game once the existence of other planes is known and can be studied or stolen.

As for divination, I'm tired of PCs relying on divination for info instead of roleplaying. It's happened pretty much every time I run a game, and gives Gather Info-heavy PCs something to do. The worst one was a 2nd ed game where the PCs took a divination spell to read the BBEGs mind at court, figure out his plan, and killed him for it, all in the first session. I was less than amused.

Hzurr
2007-03-09, 12:29 PM
I just have a few small ones

Sorcerers
- d6 Hit die (It doesn't make sense for them to have d4. Wizards have d4s because they spend all their time indoors reading. Sorcerers are more like Bards, because they're out in the world and doing stuff)
- Use Magic Device and Diplomacy to class skills.
- Eschew Materials for free

Half-elfs
- Get +1 skill points per level (4 at first), just like humans

Fighters
- 4+int skill points
- add listen and spot to skill list (to avoid having the worst guards of all time)

No psionics
- I actually had an entire campaign where the heroes were working to ensure that psionics stayed out of the game.

Logic
- because sometimes, the rules just don't make sense.

LotharBot
2007-03-09, 02:49 PM
"Special Talent": at character creation, each character can select one skill that's not normally a class skill for their level 1 class and that's not obvious powergaming/cheeze. Basically, pick something with a little role-playing potential. This is your special talent, and it's treated as a class skill with max ranks forever more. (Our wiz picked "sleight of hand" -- he did fake magic shows before he learned real magic. Our cleric, who travelled a lot, picked "ride".)

"Add a class skill": because buying cross-class skills is lame, if you have a skill you really want and that would make too much work for the DM if you didn't have (like, handle animal for the cleric with ride), it's a class skill.

"Ask first": IMO, this should go without saying... if you want to use something from a book that hasn't been pre-approved, ask the DM first. And if the DM lets you have something that turns out unbalanced, expect it to get nerfed.

"Healers don't suck": clerics with the healing domain aren't really any better than clerics without... so I decided the healing domain spells are actually the spells from one level higher. Just for the domain slot, of course.

"No lameness": yes, I know you can gate infinite titans and polymorph into all manner of uberness by RAW. No, you can't do it in my game.

Vaynor
2007-03-09, 08:33 PM
Me (DM): In our new campaign sorcerers get Eschew Materials for free at 1st level, k?
My Players: No way that's stupid, it makes sorcerers too powerful.
Me: ...seriously?
MP: Yah! That makes sorcerers way too good!
Me: But I don't even keep track of components that cost less than a gold!
MP: Doesn't matter, it's still an extra feat!
Me: ONE THAT DOES NOT MATTER, IT'S JUST FLAVOR! [/yell]
(this is a summarized argument by the way, real thing was 10+ minutes...)
MP: It lets them get metamagic earlier!
Me: ...what?
MP: Yah! They don't have to waste the feat on Eschew Materials, so they don't have to wait for 3rd level for metamagic!
Me: Who said ALL sorcerers had to get Eschew Materials at level one? They're free to get a metamagic feat if they want.
MP: Still, it's stupid! *realizes he's wrong and gets on my case about not tracking materials* You should track materials! It can make a difference!
Me: :smallfrown:

EDIT: This comes from the guy who gets mad at me cause he broke his sword (which he spent almost all his money on and neglected to make it adamantine) on an EARTH elemental. Me showing him where it says "Improved Sunder" didn't faze him.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-03-10, 07:15 AM
My rules are simple:
-Automatic successes and failures on skill checks.
-You can use a trained-only skill untrained, but it always fails unless you roll a Natural 20, and then it's considered a 10.
The second rule led to hilarity when the Halfling Rogue tried to Tumble untrained and rolled a 1. I said he tried to do a cartwheel, but hit his head many times in the process. Take 2d6 nonlethal damage.

Logic
2007-03-10, 08:47 AM
*Search, Spot and Listen are Always Class skills. The only reason to be innatentive is your own fault.
*Base Reflex Save added to initiative. There is a reason that Rangers, Rogues and Bards were meant to go first.
*Racial Skills are always class skills. If your race grants you a bonus to a skill (excepting the ones small characters get due to size) you have that as a class skill.
*Longsword, Rapier and bows are simple Weapons to Elves. They are no longer automatically proficient in any of these weapons.
*Eschew Materials is Given to Sorcerors at first hcaracter level, and it applies only to Sorceror spells cast if they are a mutli-caster character.
*Monk, Ninja, Samurai and other such "Eastern Flavor" Classes are only allowed in an "Eastern Flavored" game, or one where East and West meet.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-10, 01:19 PM
I don't usually use house rules. I was thinking of a simple but significant in effect overhall of attacks:

All attack rolls use dexterity, seeing as how it's supposed to be how good you are at using your hands. Strength does make sense vs armour but I'm interested in seeing what it would be like if strong characters were less accurate. Sort of like an automatic power attack unless you have insanely good (or poor I guess) stats.
All swords can do slashing or piercing. Swords are too limited in dnd. Since almost nothing has piercing as a weakness this wouldn't do much. Some things like Rapiers would only deal 1d3 slashing and Scimitars only 1d3 piercing.
Pole arms deal 2x strength bonus in damage due to greater leverage. No idea what this one would do, probably break the game unless every enemy had Sunder.
Sickles and Kama deal x4 crit. Kama deserves something to make it exotic (I'm not sure it deserves to be seperate from the sickle though) apart from being a monk weapon. Also they're both minature scythes in some ways.
Three section staff replaces dire flail. Swap out a loony weapon for a similar one that actually exists (but it still pretty loony).
Fold Nunchuk into flail. Helps reduce sometimes annoying Orientalism. Even if you're in a game with Katana, the idea of something from Okinawa in a European setting is odd.
Katana counts as a Bastard Scimitar rather than a Bastard Sword.
Warhammer is two-handed, 1d8 piercing or bludgeoning, x3 crit.
That dumb two-handed scimitar isn't called a falchion anymore.
DM reserves right to liberally throw out the Fatigued status effect on people using two-handed weapons.
Bucklers give a +1 shield bonus, deal 1d4 + strength bludgeoning and take up your whole hand. Tessen and Parrying shield have the same stats.

Matthew
2007-03-10, 01:51 PM
1. Interesting, Closet Skeleton. Bear in mind that Strength is not just power, though, it contributes to speed as well. I would make it an either or scenario.

2. I wouldn't reduce the Scimitar's Piercing Damage Die if I were you. Just keep it as is, 1D6 isn't a huge amount of damage and 'Scimitar' covers a very broad field of single edged blades, some better suited to thrusting than others, but most capable of an effective thrust.

3. Pole Arms deal x2 Damage due to leverage? Wah? That should probably apply to all 'Great' Weapons as well, since a Halberd and Great Axe are very similar.

4 & 5. Yeah, folding Kama into Sickle wouldn't be a bad idea, nor giving it x4 Crit Damage. Same goes for Nunchaku, though you miht have to adopt the Light, Heavy, Great terminology if you make it a Light Flail.

7. Katana as Bastard Scimitar? 1D8 Damage, I presume. I am in the 'just make it a Long Sword' gang, but this is just as good a solution and often proposed on the Wizards Boards.

8. Why is War Hammer Two Handed? I never understand why this weapon so often gets the shaft. Light, Heavy and Great War hammer variants would work nicely.

9. So, what are you changing the Falchion's name to? Great Scimitar?

10. Agreed, but not just for Two Handed Weapons...

11. Wouldn't that just make it a Light Shield? Terminology aside, I wouldn't care if the Buckler was removed from the game altogether.

Orzel
2007-03-10, 02:17 PM
When I DM or aid another DM (which is almost never)

1) Barbarian gain spot as a class skill
2) Bards choose Rhythm or Melody. Rhythm bard get +2 AC. Melody Bard get +2 to saves.
3) Fighters gain Bluff and Sleight of hand as class skills and get +1 skill points per level at level 3.
4) Sorcerors get Eschew Materials for free and +5 HP every 5 levels.
5) A ranger's companion gains the ranger's Favored enemy bonus.
6) Clerics lose heavy armor and can never take it (flavor reason).
7) Copying spell into a spellbook is 15+3times the spell level Spellcraft check.
8) Spells casted in Wild shape have a 50% fail chance. Natural spell reduces it to 25%.
9) TWF grants the off hand the same attacks as the main, up to 3 extra attacks. ITWP grants all attacks and both weapons attack when standard attacking. GTWF removes the -2 penalty if offhand is light.
10) Toughness grant 5 HP and +1 to saves vs spells.
10) Half eves gain a free Skill Focus feat. Half Orcs a free weapon prof.

Matthew
2007-03-10, 02:23 PM
Okay, I get the others, but why oh why have Cleric's be Non Proficient with Heavy Armour? It just means more of them in Mithral Full Plate...

Orzel
2007-03-10, 02:34 PM
Okay, I get the others, but why oh why have Cleric's be Non Proficient with Heavy Armour? It just means more of them in Mithral Full Plate...

They can't wear full plates. Clerics are not to be afraid of death. Overprotection is not allowed by more churches and heavy armor is banned to clerics without the healing or protection domains.

Draco Ignifer
2007-03-10, 02:47 PM
I'm definately going to add a few of these next time I start a campaign - I love the idea of a special talent, for example. Anyway, here's my set, for your perusal.

1) Sorcerers get Eschew Materials at first level. In addition, they gain a metamagic feat every five levels; these metamagic feats do not increase the time it takes them to cast a spontaneous spell.

2) Half-Orcs have +2 strength, -2 intelligence. They may be ugly and drool, but they still have a very strong force of personality.

3) Fumbles exist. They are somewhat like criticals, in that if you roll a natural 1 when attacking, you roll again. If you miss, you fumble. A fumble in melee means you leave yourself off-balance, and the monster gets an attack of opportunity. If you live, you regain your balance. A fumble in ranged combat means your string snaps or you drop your weapon; this action is over, and you lose the next one to fix it. When you get a Base Attack Bonus of 11 or higher, the second roll has to be a 1 to fumble.

4) Many spells are commonly available. This means that, when Wizards gain a level, they can be assumed to either transcribe these into their spellbooks the next time they're in town, or to have done so before. Other spells... are not. These rarer spells come from three possible sources: Successful spellcraft check when the spell is being cast (DC of +5 for identification); Stealing another Wizard's spellbook and copying it in; Going on a quest to somehow learn this spell, be it from a tome, apprenticeship to some legendary wizard, binding a Rune of Power to your flesh, etc.. If I use the spell against them, the first two are applicable; otherwise, only the third is. Old favorites such as Polymorph, Shapechange, Celerity, Assay Spell Resistance, Time Stop, as well as treats such as old psionic powers from 3.0 and custom spells that might be a bit stronger than normal, are all subject to one of these three ways of being found.

5) Clerics, stop sniggering. You have the same problem - you need to make pilgrimages to holy sites or to where the remains of holy people are kept. Only then will your devotion be proven enough to gain Divine Power, or whatever the cheese of the month is. This includes domain powers, so be prepared to find the lost shrine to the Lord of Beasts to get Shapechange from the Animal Domain. Druids, I see you skulking innocently trying to be unnoticed. You get to go look for Sacred Glades or Nodes instead - places where Nature's power is unadulterated.

6) Regardless, shapeshifting of any variety requires you to be familiar with the creature of your choice. Word of mouth is not enough - The fact that people speak of the monstrous and unstoppable Jackalope does not mean it exists. You either need a detailed Taxonomy, or to see it in action. Don't worry, though, this doesn't mean your quests for the Polymorph spell will be worthless. Ancient tomes of monstrous transformation typically have the taxonomies of anything I think would be fun included with them.

7) The only Resurrection spell which exists is True Resurrection, and it's one of those spells which requires pilgrimages. Death gets cheapened otherwise.

Yahzi
2007-03-11, 09:45 PM
I am swiping lots of stuff from this thread.

My additions:

Shields are x2 AC against missile weapons.

Quarterstaff is +1 AC vs melee attacks from the front (but is not a double weapon; there are no double weapons)

Vaynor
2007-03-11, 11:10 PM
I am swiping lots of stuff from this thread.

Heheh, yah, me too.

Assassinfox
2007-03-11, 11:15 PM
Quarterstaff is +1 AC vs melee attacks from the front (but is not a double weapon; there are no double weapons)

Why no double weapons?

JaronK
2007-03-11, 11:57 PM
Man, some of the rules in this thread are awful...

Anyway, mine are pretty straightforward:

Any class can be any alignment, if the character makes sense. I have special rules for paladins of various alignments, based on the UA rules for such.

All casters have save DCs based on Charisma, max level spells off Int, and bonus spells per day off Wisdom. Charisma isn't a dump stat anymore, and casters have to spread out their stats.

That's about it though.

JaronK